HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 2, 2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Yesterday while going through Terminal Market photographs I noticed this clock for the first time.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/72174/rec/4

close-up: I'm still trying to make out the lettering.

__
Judging from the photo in the November 6, 1918 issue of The Jewelers' Circular, it looks like the clock lettering says Hood River Apples

http://books.google.com/books?id=kzU...epage&q&f=true

The original photo caption says "Unique electric clock erected in Hood River, Ore." But the background in the photo looks like the Los Angeles Terminal Market (i.e., building on right side of top reposted photo).

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jun 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 12:06 AM

It must have been quite beautiful at night....but who would see it at night? Wouldn't the market be closed?

That said, I am completely surprised it was erected by an out of state grower's association. thx for the info.Flyingwedge.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 3, 2013 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 12:32 AM

Imagine my surprise when I came across a second Portsmouth Hotel on the same street! (Hill Street)

the well known one facing Pershing Square

usc detail

the second one at 1308 S. Hill Street.

gsv

rather noirish looking wouldn't you say.

gsv

the cross street is Pico Blvd.

gsv

I'm thinking it might have said 'Portsmouth' at the top of the vertical sign.

gsv

Kind of insignificant I know, but a fun little discovery.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Swink View Post
Here is the Los Angeles Cold Storage building in east downtown on 4th street. And the second image is a detail from I believe that 1909 hand drawn map of Los Angeles. Notice the shapes of the windows and the number of floors is the same in the gsv photo and on the map. Old Los Angeles businesses and buildings live on!

[/URL]
GSV

[/URL]
1909 Map

When I first saw this building I thought castle..a huge fortified castle.

gsv
__

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 1:18 AM

Personal letter written on Natick House stationery.

found on ebay
__

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 1:25 AM

more clock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Judging from the photo in the November 6, 1918 issue of The Jewelers' Circular, it looks like the clock lettering says Hood River Apples

The original photo caption says "Unique electric clock erected in Hood River, Ore." But the background in the photo looks like the Los Angeles Terminal Market (i.e., building on right side of top reposted photo).
I read the article as saying the clock was erected in Los Angeles at the behest of the Hood River Apple Growers Association. Perhaps as a “thank you” to the population of Los Angeles area for eating a whole lot of apples. It’s clearly the Terminal Market buildings in the background and matches all other photos of the clock save for the top portion which apparently has not yet been added. As massive as this clock was, one would think the market would have placed it somewhere within the facility after it was removed in 2003. I’d guess it was taken down due to wear on the supports or the awnings holding its weight. Although there is another possibility; its supports failed and it crashed to the pavement in a heap of little pieces.
As far as the caption…I think it may be an error by the editor who didn’t fully read the article.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Personal letter written on Natick House stationery.

found on ebay
__
Today if you got an email saying this..it would be a scam to get money sent to someplace in eastern Europe.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 1:52 AM
BANNED

I got one this week..."Help!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
Today if you got an email saying this..it would be a scam to get money sent to someplace in eastern Europe.
I actually got one of these scam emails this week. He was using a NYNY friend's stolen address. The scammer wanted $1,660 so that he could fly out of Hong Kong because he lost his backpack and all his money.

Bob, just let me know if you need some assistance.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 1:56 AM

Eight Street and Central Avenue

detail of the block south/I'm surprised to see a Wings Place.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/

Thanks for the pictures E_R. In the 1920's thru the 1950's, this area had a large Chinese population and many worked at the Terminal Produce Market and the City Market (on San Pedro). In fact the area on San Pedro from 9th to 12th Streets is often referred as the "Market Chinatown" area that Lemster photographed in a earlier blog. Several cafes and restaurants included Man Fook Lau, Modern Cafe, Tai-Loy Restaurant, New Moon (all gone) and Paul's Kitchen (still there!)

Last edited by bighen; Jun 3, 2013 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 2:41 AM

Hotel Lancaster

Thanks, guys!

The ASIB production unit shot the Hotel Lancaster scenes in late November, 1953. So it looks like this picture could be a group of extras or neighborhood observers hamming it up for the camera after a day of shooting. There were no night-time shots of the Hotel in the film.

I've never been able to pick out the Hotel in distance shots--and it was probably gone by 1955.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I actually got one of these scam emails this week. He was using a NYNY friend's stolen address. The scammer wanted $1,660 so that he could fly out of Hong Kong because he lost his backpack and all his money.

Bob, just let me know if you need some assistance.
hahaha..no chance getting anything out of me...yeah..i've gotten some of these and NEVER open them...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
It looks like the clock lettering says Hood River Apples

crate label

foodliner
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 3, 2013 at 4:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighen View Post
detail of the block south/I'm surprised to see a Wings Place.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/

Thanks for the pictures E_R. In the 1920's thru the 1950's, this area had a large Chinese population and many worked at the Terminal Produce Market and the City Market (on San Pedro). In fact the area on San Pedro from 9th to 12th Streets is often referred as the "Market Chinatown" area that Lemster photographed in a earlier blog. Several cafes and restaurants included Man Fook Lau, Modern Cafe, Tai-Loy Restaurant, New Moon (all gone) and Paul's Kitchen (still there!)
This explains why I initially thought the video at http://www.discovernikkei.org was of the 'Little Tokyo' market.
Thank you so much for your insight bighen.

p.s. I'd love to learn more about the "Market Chinatown".
__

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:14 AM

Belated introduction & some family pix

I hadn’t introduced myself to the group before – had been waiting to get some family photos to share. I live in Nor Cal now but am a 3rd generation native to Los Angeles and love its history. My grandmother was born at “Maternity Cottage” on Utah St. in 1927. Her dad, Herbert Graham, ran away from home and came to LA in 1913 at age 14; he worked at the new Rosslyn Hotel as an electrician. One of his jobs must have been keeping the roof sign in working order – it’s glorious neon now but was originally light bulbs. The photo shows him on the roof behind the sign c.1926. Sorry the quality is so poor – it’s a scan from a teeny snap. I always wondered what the sign said and went to the Rosslyn on a research mission years ago when it was still a flop house – it was so thrilling to look up and see that sign. I’m still marveling over that body in the water tank of the Cecil and how the poor woman was lured up there - but if someone had said to me “hey, do you want to see these neat old skylight on the roof?” at the Rosslyn, I’d have been there like a shot! Or the tunnels under 5th St. (I’ve gone scarier places in the name of noir).

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...eles_-_Rosslyn

I found another photo of him in some park with the baby in ’27. By chance does anyone recognize that fountain? Look at those palm trees...

Finally a cool one of him on motorbike, no date but 1920s – could that be Main St., and that’s the Rosslyn in the background, or too washed out to tell?

Anyway, I love this site, thanks to you all!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 6:36 AM
BANNED

motor bikes LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
I hadn’t introduced myself to the group before – had been waiting to get some family photos to share. I live in Nor Cal now but am a 3rd generation native to Los Angeles and love its history. My grandmother was born at “Maternity Cottage” on Utah St. in 1927. Her dad, Herbert Graham, ran away from home and came to LA in 1913 at age 14; he worked at the new Rosslyn Hotel as an electrician. One of his jobs must have been keeping the roof sign in working order – it’s glorious neon now but was originally light bulbs. The photo shows him on the roof behind the sign c.1926. Sorry the quality is so poor – it’s a scan from a teeny snap. I always wondered what the sign said and went to the Rosslyn on a research mission years ago when it was still a flop house – it was so thrilling to look up and see that sign. I’m still marveling over that body in the water tank of the Cecil and how the poor woman was lured up there - but if someone had said to me “hey, do you want to see these neat old skylight on the roof?” at the Rosslyn, I’d have been there like a shot! Or the tunnels under 5th St. (I’ve gone scarier places in the name of noir).

[/URL]
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...eles_-_Rosslyn

[/URL]

Anyway, I love this site, thanks to you all!
Hello City Dame...That looks like an imported motorbike: Raleigh ~ England

In the early twenties a 699 cc flat twin was produced; from 1922 mostly single cylinder side valve singles were put on the market and these economical, well made machines proved to be great sellers. In 1925 the first OHV Raleigh was brought out: the Raleigh engineers had designed an overhead valve top end for their outside flywheel 2 ¾ engine. The Motor Cycle tested such a model in march 1925 and found it handled well, went well (62 mph) and was free from unpleasant vibration.
Evidently these motorized bikes were all the rage in those days. Cars were very expensive then for the average worker, so these bikes were the solution for the macho man about town.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
I found another photo of him in some park with the baby in ’27. By chance does anyone recognize that fountain? Look at those palm trees...

Looks like the fountain in Will Rogers Park:

LAPL/Stephen Bay

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 2:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hello City Dame...That looks like an imported motorbike: Raleigh ~ England

In the early twenties a 699 cc flat twin was produced; from 1922 mostly single cylinder side valve singles were put on the market and these economical, well made machines proved to be great sellers. In 1925 the first OHV Raleigh was brought out: the Raleigh engineers had designed an overhead valve top end for their outside flywheel 2 ¾ engine. The Motor Cycle tested such a model in march 1925 and found it handled well, went well (62 mph) and was free from unpleasant vibration.
Evidently these motorized bikes were all the rage in those days. Cars were very expensive then for the average worker, so these bikes were the solution for the macho man about town.
You're amazing! Thank you so much for that info.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Looks like the fountain in Will Rogers Park:

LAPL/Stephen Bay
Thatf's incredible - thank you! I think you're right - in this view of his wife Hazel (the wicked LA woman) from the same day you can actually see one of the houses across the park:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:05 PM

Thank you for sharing your personal photos Noircitydame. They're simply amazing!

originally posted by Noircitydame

Looks like the massive Rosslyn Hotel sign was built around the chimney. -I've never noticed that before.
__

Speaking of Rosslyn, did Mr. Rosslyn also build this 4 story building and theater as well as the hotel and annex?
Perhaps we've covered this, but at the moment I can't recall.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/ -posted by Jesus El Sagado

Looks like you can see a movie AND get a tattoo. (notice the street lamp reflecting in the window over the marquee)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 4:15 PM

Anyone ever hear of Dolgeville?

Los Angeles Herald 1905

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos