HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 1:39 AM
I Like Turtles!

Even LA can be a small world

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhammon View Post
It seems that our policewoman later got married and then got busted for shoplifting. (oops)

"Police woman shoplifting hearing, 22 July 1958. Mrs. Florence (Coberly) Stanton (suspect in shoplifting)"

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/52444/rec/1

http://newspaperarchive.com/redlands...cts/1958-07-24
By strange coincidence, the same front page of the July 24, 1958 edition of the Redlands Daily Facts that contains the article on Mrs. Florence Coberly Stanton also carries the story of the confession by Charles Earl Brubaker to the murder of Irene Morey and her 9 year old son Craig, which was covered here just a few pages ago.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 1:56 AM

I've labeled this the 'mystery medallions' building.

gsv

It's located on 7th Street between Rampart and Hoover.

gsv

gsv

....anyone have any clues about this unique building...does anyone recognize the gentlemen in the medallions?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 31, 2013 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
A companion photo. Unfortunately, no location or date.

The street is wide enough for street cars, but there is no evidence of tracks other than what may have been buried. Brick and concrete roadway on a steep incline, along with commercial parking garages might be strong clues. Guessing angle parking was optional or acceptable. It certainly was understandable.

http://imageholicsanonymous.blogspot...at-donuts.html
Motorcyle formation is cruising down incline of 300 S.Olive block- on left side of first image - Portion of big parking bldng pedestrian entrance on the front left side - followed by bit of wooden Van Sickle Apts with The Ems beyond it midway up the block. 2nd image shows these again but also includes front entrance of the Bailey Bldng @ 344 S.Olive.(orig. The Wales Apts)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The multistory The Players Supper Club on Sunset Boulevard.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=926

The Players building today.

gsv

below: looking a bit forlorn. The Chateau Marmont is visible on the right.

gsv

below: view from Roxbury Drive.

gsv

__
Remember this discussion from last week? Well get a load of this itteration of the Players Club!!!!

Vintage Los Angeles - Facebook

Mere words escape me

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
The location seems close and the stone structure too, though I felt it was smaller, more spooky and had the name Trinity when last I noticed it sometime in the 1980's. Hmmm.
Could be. Maybe an extra 80 years of aging, and some trees around it.
I may have to accept this. Could there have been a name change?
So I did a search for Trinity Church on LAPL and you know what? The building in question apparently changed names (and denominations) and was later on known as Trinity Church, which explains why I had trouble finding shots of this particular building last night.

So without further adieu, I give you Trinity Church at 1201 South Flower Street:

1971, LAPL

And here's the associated blurb: While the church is identified as a Methodist Church, the denomination changed to United Methodist in 1968, three years before this photograph was taken. Originally a church of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South denomination until 1938, this church was closed and merged with Wilshire United Methodist Church in 1980. This structure was demolished in the early 1980s.

I hope this is the answer you're looking for!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post
Remember this discussion from last week? Well get a load of this itteration of the Players Club!!!!

Vintage Los Angeles - Facebook

Mere words escape me

~Jon Paul
How unfortunate. "Pink Taco". That's one hell of an innuendo.

Nice!!!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:14 AM

OOPS!

ebay

reverse

The riverbed looks dry to me.

__

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:28 AM

I just came across this 1942 photograph on ebay. pan right--> for gas-o-meters...or whatever they're called.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-Victory...item53f3ec3cf0

Hmm...offhand, the only person I recognize is Jack Benny. I'll have to look at this for a bit.

__

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:58 AM

Quote:
I just came across this 1942 photograph on ebay. pan right--> for gas-o-meters...or whatever they're called.

Hmm...offhand, the only person I recognize is Jack Benny. I'll have to look at this for a bit.

__
When I saw this picture, I thought that locomotive looked familiar. We have one of the last working ones of its kind, the 3751, parked here in Los Angeles at the Redondo Junction Round House.
But I found the 3785 (pictured above) mentioned in this article from the 3751 web site (http://www.sbrhs.org/history.html):

The original 4-8-4s had been handling the Grand Canyon Limited between Los Angeles and Wellington, Kansas (1,534 miles) since January 1940; upon completion of its rebuilding, No. 3751 entered this pool. Operating requirements sometimes saw No. 3751 on a La Junta-bound train out of Los Angeles, but after delivery of the 10 newest 4-8-4s, Nos. 3776-3785, in the summer of 1941, this became less frequent. Effective May 23, 1942, the original 4-8-4s started running through from Los Angeles to Kansas City via Amarillo, a distance of 1,789 miles, setting a new record for through steam locomotive runs. During World War II, these engines handled both the Scout and the Grand Canyon Limited. On-time performance was not the best with the long stops to work heavy mail and express, but seldom was one of these engines cut out at an intermediate terminal due to failure. During the typical month of August 1943, the 14 engines averaged 18,435 miles per locomotive with a repair cost of 23 cents per mile, at a time when 3,600-horsepower diesels handling lightweight trains cost 32.4 cents a mile for repairs.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
When I saw this picture, I thought that locomotive looked familiar. We have one of the last working ones of its kind, the 3751, parked here in Los Angeles at the Redondo Junction Round House.
Redondo Junction Round House? -any current photographs of the 3751 locomotive?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 31, 2013 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:07 AM

Well, there is Jerry Colonna:

Is that Bette Davis next to him?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
So I did a search for Trinity Church on LAPL and you know what? The building in question apparently changed names (and denominations) and was later on known as Trinity Church, which explains why I had trouble finding shots of this particular building last night.

So without further adieu, I give you Trinity Church at 1201 South Flower Street:

1971, LAPL

And here's the associated blurb: While the church is identified as a Methodist Church, the denomination changed to United Methodist in 1968, three years before this photograph was taken. Originally a church of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South denomination until 1938, this church was closed and merged with Wilshire United Methodist Church in 1980. This structure was demolished in the early 1980s.

I hope this is the answer you're looking for!
Score! Thank you so much. I knew my memory wasn't that bad.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:18 AM

I 'drove' past this impressive church today on East Colorado Blvd. at N. Holliston Avenue in Pasadena.

gsv_courtesy 'google-car'

Afterwards, I found this postcard. I believe this is the same church.

http://www.cardcow.com/

Here's an aerial. I would love to see inside. -and what is that building behind it?

one last view.

gsv

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 31, 2013 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Re: The Famous Café

What's the story on this partially blanked out "Bullets fired" text photo? Was there an article?

Edit:
Nevermind It's all visible now. Glitch city. Never saw anything like that before.

LAT
'''''''''

Last edited by fhammon; Jan 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Redondo Junction Round House? -any current photographs of the 3751 locomotive?
__
I have no photos of the 3751, but I have some of the 3759, which sits in a park in Kingman, Arizona, along Route 66. I took this pic in 2007:

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 6:52 AM

Quote:

__
The next three men in the front row to the right of Jerry Colonna and his large mustache look to be Edward Arnold, Pat O'Brien, and Bert Lahr.
Not sure I see Benny here; he probably missed the photo by driving around looking for free parking for his Maxwell.
The woman to the left of Edward Arnold looks like Martha Raye. Third woman to the right of Bert Lahr might be Claudette Colbert.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jan 31, 2013 at 7:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 6:56 AM

RIP Patty Andrews

1918-2013

Give our love to Maxene, LaVerne and all the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boys of Comapny B!

~Jon Paul

Last edited by Fab Fifties Fan; Jan 31, 2013 at 7:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 7:39 AM

Quote:
I 'drove' past this impressive church today on East Colorado Blvd. at N. Holliston Avenue in Pasadena.

gsv_courtesy 'google-car'

Afterwards, I found this postcard. I believe this is the same church.

http://www.cardcow.com/

Here's an aerial. I would love to see inside. -and what is that building behind it?

one last view.

gsv

__
I am familiar with this church, as I typically stay at a motel just down the block when I am in SoCal. Here are some pics I took in 2011:

Shame about the steeple and other pointy bits being lost, but it still looks pretty good.

Also, what should we find right next door but the Howard Motor Company building, which I believe was in this thread long ago. Again, my pics from 2011:

The back end of the L-shaped building pokes out onto Chester Ave.:

There is one more find on this block which a lot of people are bound to miss. Directly across the street from the church, in the grass in front of a McDonald's, is a Bancroft Marker. Read about the Foothill Blvd. Milestone here. The Bancroft system was a very early road marking system. This marker was placed about 1906 and was rediscovered when the land was prepared for construction of the Mcdonald's. It is the only marker remaining in the area.

The Bancroft system measured distance along major roads from a central point. In LA County this point was the 1888 County Courthouse. The marker describes its own relative position: Mile 11 from the courthouse, block 220 out of 222. The F.B. stands for Foothill Boulevard, which is what this section of Colorado Blvd. was called at the time.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Re: The Famous Café

USCDL
"When he proposed he promised her the stars, from his heart, on her fingers, in her eyes."

This is from AJ, a lovely lady from NC that I know from another thread whom I shared this photo with. I've been doing some "sharing" today from this forum as it became relevant to "gun" discussions elsewhere. How could I not?

Is it OK that I use #2 size fonts? From where I'm sitting it's the most comfortable. I've noticed others doing something similar. This is only #1 size.

This size is the "0" or default size.

Last edited by fhammon; Jan 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 9:13 AM

A little piece of Bunker Hill that hasn't been seen here before -- the Munn Hotel used to sit directly behind the Shrine Auditorium on Olive and "was eaten up by the subway terminal project" according to Beaudry earlier in this thread.

1915, USC

Gotta love that seamless retouching job...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos