HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Anyone know where Fruitland School was located?

ebay
__

Fruitland was down near Vernon/Maywood.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 3:03 PM

ebay

Latter days of Bunker Hill. The only info attached to this shot are a date (1948) and the notation that "the Hollywood Freeway took this street out in the mid-fifties."

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:51 PM

Wonderful photograph GW. Every time I think we've seen all the Bunker Hill photos a new one pops up.
I'm curious about the security fence along the bottom border.
__

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 7:44 PM

Even with city hall in the pic, I can't get my bearings on the street--I assume it might be a dead end created by freeway construction...?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
1320 Ingraham Street, 1900

(It's neighbor to the left built in 1923
neighbor to the right built in 1990)

multiple listing service

A young deputy city attorney named Stephen Robinson lived in the house ca. 1909... not sure what prompted the auction advertised in the Times on November 2, 1913...

LAT

By 1915 Robinson was living a few blocks east at the Hotel Ingraham, which extended from Orange/Wilshire to Ingraham (now gone)... a noirish place if ever there was one.

All LAPL

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 9:35 PM

very noirish indeed.

Hotel Gotham

ebay
__

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
ebay

Latter days of Bunker Hill. The only info attached to this shot are a date (1948) and the notation that "the Hollywood Freeway took this street out in the mid-fifties."
Hmm, if the Hollywood Freeway took it out, then it's not Bunker Hill, is it? I thought the Hollywood Freeway was more properly described as running through Fort Moore Hill. Although I realize Fort Moore Hill was more or less just the north end of Bunker Hill, right?

Judging by the angle of City Hall and the note about the Hollywood Freeway, I have two guesses.

My first guess is California St. - the Park Tract map we discussed many pages back has the west end of it, where it is called Sand Street. It was eliminated with construction of the Hollywood Freeway east of the four-level interchange. It ran from Bunker Hill to Broadway. I don't know why it would be closed like that at one end, though - I don't have a street map of the area from the 1940s.

My second guess is Boston Street. It ran from Centennial to Bunker Hill, parallel to Sunset and was part of the Park Tract. If that's the right place, then the road is closed in the foreground due to construction of the Harbor Freeway, which would be directly behind camera. All that's left of these two blocks of Boston St. are, arguably, a couple of driveways into the Orsini Apartments on either side of Figueroa, just north of the 101.

If we can dig up old photos of Boston St. and California St. perhaps there will be something there to match up.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 11:02 PM

I have a 1947 Los Angeles street map and I can't f##king find it. I must have put it someplace safe...you know how that is. aargh!
I'll keep searching

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 11:22 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
very noirish indeed.

Hotel Gotham

ebay
__

A little Gotham noir...

Los Angeles Times

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 11:27 PM

You're quite good at digging up these sordid stories.
__

http://www.flickr.com/photos/asfalti...57619637399526

__

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Hmm, if the Hollywood Freeway took it out, then it's not Bunker Hill, is it? I thought the Hollywood Freeway was more properly described as running through Fort Moore Hill. Although I realize Fort Moore Hill was more or less just the north end of Bunker Hill, right?

Judging by the angle of City Hall and the note about the Hollywood Freeway, I have two guesses.

My first guess is California St. - the Park Tract map we discussed many pages back has the west end of it, where it is called Sand Street. It was eliminated with construction of the Hollywood Freeway east of the four-level interchange. It ran from Bunker Hill to Broadway. I don't know why it would be closed like that at one end, though - I don't have a street map of the area from the 1940s.

My second guess is Boston Street. It ran from Centennial to Bunker Hill, parallel to Sunset and was part of the Park Tract. If that's the right place, then the road is closed in the foreground due to construction of the Harbor Freeway, which would be directly behind camera. All that's left of these two blocks of Boston St. are, arguably, a couple of driveways into the Orsini Apartments on either side of Figueroa, just north of the 101.

If we can dig up old photos of Boston St. and California St. perhaps there will be something there to match up.
Hey gang -- I showed Jim Dawson the entire explanation of this scene already - Footprint exists on 1905 Sanborn map - Well the shot was taken in months before area leveled for upcoming Hwd Fwy - fenced off California Street was at curvaceous arc of No. Bunker Hill Ave- right edge has part of the humble Rose Apts (706-708) Then after vacant lot with wall would've been No. Grand - then another razed bit took one to Pavilion St and the edifice of the Amargh Hotel/Apts (500-514 California) - across from relocated original Los Angeles High School structure - out of view on left edge was the Queen Apts, Emma Summers' first home ,etc. I have a 1929 close up - only a blowup of a Chas.Puck image - of more ornate Amargh (named after Irish County) that I collected @Huntington Library where all other Puck work is squirreled away -- the L.A. City Archives also has everything on their WPA streetview renderings from the Thirties- all one can imagine in fine detail --

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 12:27 AM

Film clip Hollywood from the sky 1958

This short news reel is narrated by Bob Crane, *a 1958 one reeler has Helicopter Ride over Los Angeles, to see some of the spotlights of the city ....
from the You Tube channel "travelfimarchive" *An aerial tour of Hollywood in 1958. Footage from this film is available for licensing from www.globalimageworks.com
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 1:25 AM

Botiller Mansion/Ingraham Hotel

I was defeated by the "search" function once again re The Marchado Bernard House.

Thank You GaylordWilshire, for the further info on the Botiller mansion/"Sunset House". It's not a very likable house but would, I guess, make a pretty hotel on the Riviera. Was this always a triple lot or did something get torn down?

You previously posted this:

uglyangel

now it looks like this:

google maps

You previously mentioned former residents of the house. This is Michael Gross' list from Unreal Estate:

Francisca Bernard (Mrs. Dionicio) Botiller: Builder, wife of heir to a Spanish land grant fortune.
Frank and Cecilia Botiller and Ida Botiller Lindley: Children of Francisca and Dionicio Botiller.
Jack Royal Young Lindley: Brother of Loretta Young, informally adopted son of Ida Botiller Lindley.
Dorothy Wellborn “Dolly” Green: Daughter of Burton Green, a co-founder of Beverly Hills.
Neil Steere McCarthy: Lawyer for Howard Hughes, L. B. Mayer, and others; polo player; cofounder of the Beverly Hills Speedway. Lover of Dolly Green.
Mary Beich McCarthy: Candy heiress, second wife of Neil, painter.
Stewart and Lynda Resnick: Former owners of the Franklin Mint; owners of FIJI Water, Teleflora, fruit and nut farms, and other enterprises.

Lynda Resnick would seem to have a varied history. This quote is from her wiki page:

"(Lynda) Resnick, then Sinay, began doing occasional work for the antiwar movement during the Vietnam war era. Her friend, Daniel Ellsberg, asked to use her copy machine on nights and weekends in order to distribute top-secret military documents. Ellsberg gave these documents to The New York Times, which then published them. Dubbed the Pentagon Papers, they detailed aspects of the war hidden from the public and damaged the credibility of the Presidents involved. Resnick was designated an un-indicted co-conspirator for her role and pursued by prosecutors for two years. Legal actions were eventually dropped."

I've looked and looked at the Ingraham Hotel shots you posted. Are they the same building?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I've looked and looked at the Ingraham Hotel shots you posted. Are they the same building?
If you go by the captions of the LAPL, they are. (The library dates them both as 1963.) According to insurance maps, the hotel had an east interior court--so it appears that the foot print works. The Wilshire side was obviously remodeled at some point after the hotel's ca. 1907 opening.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 2:54 AM

John Parkinson Residence

688 Wilshire Place (1905)

Ryerson & Bunham Archives, Art Institute of Chicago

I like the entry arch on the left:

Ryerson & Burnham Archives, Art Institute of Chicago

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 17, 2012 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:41 AM

Good eye T2. So the entry arch across from Bullocks Wilshire leads to the Parkinson home? wow
__

Quote:

I couldn't figure this out as well. So they're the same building?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 17, 2012 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:49 AM

Ingraham Hotel

Quote:
...the Hotel Ingraham, which extended from Orange/Wilshire to Ingraham (now gone)... a noirish place if ever there was one.
The Ingraham was apparently built by Elmer Grey and Myron Hunt in 1906-08.
It must have started out pretty glam before it descended into noir

The Times called it both "luxurious" and "fashionable".

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Good eye T2. So the entry arch leads to the Parkinson home. wow
I dunno. It's the right block, but I don't know what the arch is to. I had assumed Parkinson had moved on by the time he built Bullocks Wilshire.
__

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 3:58 AM

from romantic...

ebay

Ming Room 358 S. La Cienega Blvd.

to banal.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 17, 2012 at 4:48 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos