HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post

Excellent, HossC! It just so happens I just found similar evidence that the sign survived at least until 1910. The store is apparently NOT called "Crandall Aylsworth" anymore, though, as you can see by the "...LTON," with a "15¢" and what looks like an "RE" below that on the straight horizontal sections. Different lettering entirely by then.

Public domain, source unknown.
Thanks for confirming my theory about the lettering becoming more solid, JScott. The pictures you found are so much better than mine. The 1909 CD lists a notions store called E P Charlton & Co at 113 N Spring (as I mentioned in post #23371), so I'd guess what's on the later sign.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

I don't even know if the skyscraper platform allows for this but just as an idea, what would y'all think about compressing the thread? Bear with me here. I've just been going through looking for and at several old posts and threads and have been once again struck by the great stretches of missing images. Now admittedly there is some value in the captions and comments which have survived but by and large, it is impossible to follow even the simplest exchange without the image around which the comments coalesce. So why don't we (e-r) simply set about deleting those posts which have turned out to have had hot-linked images? I know we take great pride in the remarkable length of the thread but frankly the page count is grossly misleading with these flawed entries being included. What say you? Is there some counter-balancing value I'm missing?
I'm not sure if that's even possible unless e_r has administrative privileges.

I must admit that I found it sad that some pages had so many missing images when I originally worked my way through the thread, and still do sometimes when I look at early pages, but I'm not sure if deletion is the answer. If anyone spots missing images in one of my posts, feel free to drop me a PM so I could try to fix it - how do others feel about PMing members about missing images in their posts (assuming the member in question still visits/posts regularly)? Some hotlinked images, especially those from eBay, are going to be virtually impossible to replace, but others, like the old USC images, can probably be fixed. I seem to remember that someone was archiving the thread (3940dxer?) - maybe there are copies of the missing images floating around somewhere. In the meantime, if any of us find a post which is missing its images, why not make a note of the poster's name and the post number so that we can compile some kind of repair list?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 12:24 AM
BANNED

...A little dab'l do ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I'm not sure if that's even possible unless e_r has administrative privileges.

I must admit that I found it sad that some pages had so many missing images when I originally worked my way through the thread, and still do sometimes when I look at early pages, but I'm not sure if deletion is the answer. If anyone spots missing images in one of my posts, feel free to drop me a PM so I could try to fix it - how do others feel about PMing members about missing images in their posts (assuming the member in question still visits/posts regularly)? Some hotlinked images, especially those from eBay, are going to be virtually impossible to replace, but others, like the old USC images, can probably be fixed. I seem to remember that someone was archiving the thread (3940dxer?) - maybe there are copies of the missing images floating around somewhere. In the meantime, if any of us find a post which is missing its images, why not make a note of the poster's name and the post number so that we can compile some kind of repair list?
I don't mind the missing images. It really reminds me of noir Los Angeles...tacky, broken and eternally slightly flawed in a charming manner.,.

Noir LA is like the girl who wears a translucent blouse and a black bra.

Or the man who smells of Brylcreem and beer.

lyrics to the Brylcreem ditty.....
"BRYLCREEM...A LITTLE DAB'L DO YA
BRYLCREEM....YOU LOOK SO DEBONAIR
BRYLCREEM....THE GALS'LL ALL PURSUE YA
THEY LOVE TO GET THEIR FINGERS IN YOUR HAIR "

Brylcreme TV commercial ...Los Angeles, circa 1950s

http://youtu.be/o6F4GtyRfto

OK, now try to get that tune out of your head....

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

I don't mind the missing images. It really reminds me of noir Los Angeles...tacky, broken and eternally slightly flawed in a charming manner.,.

Its like the girl who wear a wears a translucent blouse and a black bra.

Or the man who smells of Brylcreem and beer.

lyrics to the Brylcreem ditty.....
"BRYLCREEM...A LITTLE DAB'L DO YA
BRYLCREEM....YOU LOOK SO DEBONAIR
BRYLCREEM....THE GALS'LL ALL PURSUE YA
THEY LOVE TO GET THEIR FINGERS IN YOUR HAIR "

Brylcreme TV commercial ...Los Angeles, circa 1950s

http://youtu.be/o6F4GtyRfto

OK, now try to get that tune out of your head....
Alright, kudos and style points for making that argument. Not necessarily a compelling argument but still, you displayed remarkable panache for even making it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:31 AM

Quote:
I don't even know if the skyscraper platform allows for this but just as an idea, what would y'all think about compressing the thread? Bear with me here. I've just been going through looking for and at several old posts and threads and have been once again struck by the great stretches of missing images. Now admittedly there is some value in the captions and comments which have survived but by and large, it is impossible to follow even the simplest exchange without the image around which the comments coalesce. So why don't we (e-r) simply set about deleting those posts which have turned out to have had hot-linked images? I know we take great pride in the remarkable length of the thread but frankly the page count is grossly misleading with these flawed entries being included. What say you? Is there some counter-balancing value I'm missing?
Sorry, I am opposed to condensation, even after working from page 1 to page 800 so far. There is just no point to this. If you're looking for specifics in the thread, the search engine works quite well and is quite fast for results. If someone doesn't include text for the search engine to find, that's not useful, but, hey, too bad.

Such editing is definitely impossible without admin privileges. One is not even allowed to delete their own erroneous posts here. Normally the kind of editing you want, particularly of other people's posts, is not permitted. And I'm sure e_r would thank you for volunteering him for this project. If Tommy Udo stops by, don't answer the door, e_r!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 1:56 AM

WOW, you guys came through again, BIG TIME with the pics of the 4th street stub and the structure on it.
One picture of the Hildreth Mansion appears to from 1950 just after the restoration the house and just after the S.K. Oliver house was built yet 4 years later the 4th street cut is in full bloom.
Did these people not know the pending plans the City had for the Bunker Hill area and why was the Hlidreth mansion not moved elsewhere instead of being razed.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I don't mind the missing images. It reminds me of noir Los Angeles...tacky, broken and eternally slightly flawed.
Noir LA is like the girl who wears a translucent blouse with a black bra, or the man who smells of Brylcreem and beer.

I hereby bestow upon CityBoyDoug the Raymond Chandler Badge of Honor.
__

Here's an extremely rare cabinet card dating back to the 1870s.

ebay

reverse

Either the photographer Bertrand traveled to old Chinatown, or this handsome Chinese couple (holding hands by the way) made their way over to Pico House.
This sends my imagination soaring!
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I hereby bestow upon CityBoyDoug the Raymond Chandler Badge of Honor.
__

Here's an extremely rare cabinet card dating back to the 1870s.

ebay

reverse

Either the photographer Bertrand traveled to old Chinatown, or this handsome Chinese couple (holding hands by the way) made their way over to Pico House.
This sends my imagination soaring!
__
I love this. The hand-holding is absolutely sublime. Gee, that's a great image. Best guess, Chinatown because the cellar-access door to the right (I think) and the crosshatched crawl-space vent behind the lady do not look like any part of Pico House to me. Also the ground seems very rough for the immediate Plaza area.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:01 PM

Quote:
The problem lies with poster's pulling in images from sites where images are frequently chucked. Sites such as ebay for example. It takes a bit more work to follow this site's instructions on handling images to insure they don't come up as a busted link.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:44 PM

A scene from 'Crime of Passion' (1957) showing 220 E. First Street.

via http://www.businessinsider.com/see-1...nd-now-2013-12

220 E. First Street today.

GSV

__

A member emailed me today saying he was having trouble posting photographs on NLA using his flickr account. Is anyone else having trouble?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
A member emailed me today saying he was having trouble posting photographs on NLA using his flickr account. Is anyone else having trouble?

Looking west across Central Avenue from the S.P. Arcade Depot, 1927

Looking across Central Avenue at the Hotel Whittaker.

USC digital archive/Dick Whittington Photography Collection, 1924-1987

Apparently not.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:07 PM

New comers

Quote:
If it wasn't so complicated to make (as noirishers say), I really like the idea. Any expansion needs to be adapted and I think to the new comers who'll want to make their way on the thread from the beginning.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:12 PM

mystery slide found on ebay

Here's a closer (and lightened) look at the large house on the hillside.

I was hoping someone might recognize where this slide was taken.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 3, 2014 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 9:08 PM

A quick reminder of one of the Bunker Hill model pictures which I posted on the previous page:

www.usc.edu

The building just visible in the lower left corner is the Second and Fremont branch of the Pacific-Southwest Trust and Savings Bank. The picture below dates from 1924. The 1923 CD lists it at 923 W Second, while it's at 933 W Second in the 1926 CD. The site is an empty lot on the 1921 Baist map, so it looks like the building was fairly new when the picture was taken. Looking at Historic Aerials, the bank building appears to have survived the construction of the Harbor Freeway, but not the clearance of Bunker Hill. This section of Fremont Avenue was removed in the early 70s. The lot seems to have remained vacant until the Promenade Apartments were built there in 1985.

USC Digital Library

USC also has this interior view of the bank taken at the same time.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 9:48 PM

..from the South Central music scene.

ebay

ebay

__

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Good manners only....

Quote:
..from the South Central music scene.

ebay
_
I couldn't help but notice the underlined warning at the bottom of this ad.

westadams-normandie.com

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 4, 2014 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:41 AM

Hi E_R. I haven't posted pics from Flickr in a long time due to being totally confused as to how to do it. They keep changing their format and it leaves you totally confused as to how to grab your pics and post them.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja55 View Post
Hi E_R. I haven't posted pics from Flickr in a long time due to being totally confused as to how to do it. They keep changing their format and it leaves you totally confused as to how to grab your pics and post them.
Go to your flickr account, go to the image you want to post, look at the three little icons in the lower right corner (a square with a diagonal spike sticking in it, a bent arrow and an arrow pointing down to a short horizontal line) hover over them, the first one will say 'edit photo', the second will say 'share this photo' and the third will say 'download this photo'. Counter-intuitive as it may seem, you want the second one (the bent arrow) 'share this photo', click on it, you will get a menu that gives you 'link' 'html' and 'bbcode', highlight 'bbcode'. Now below that you have a drop-down menu for the sizes you can 'share', pick a big one (1024 on one side) and right click and copy the code which appears in the window right below the size menu. Now you're locked and loaded. Go to Noirish Los Angeles, click the 'reply' prompt, paste your saved bbcode into the 'reply' field. You're ready to go. Add text to taste and preview post to check your powder.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:38 AM

Quote:
A couple more amateur slides I came across on ebay. The seller dates them as 1960.

As a full-on roadgeek, this post about made me faint. I love signage and these are absolute gold. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:38 AM

Posting photos from Flickr 2014

Quote:
Deleted my screed, MichaelRyerson just posted instructions already. I can add that your Flickr SHARE settings stay set until you reset them, so it then is just a copy and paste job if you keep the size set to "Original".

Last edited by loyalton; Sep 4, 2014 at 3:07 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos