HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:25 PM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Cul-de-sac is just real-estate-agent-speak for a dead end, because no one wants to live on a dead end street .
In Edmonds, WA all the dead end street signs say "Street Ends." Here in KC I'd say probably 80% of the dead end street signs either say "No Outlet" or "Street Ends." Really funny how some places don't want the word "dead" on their signs.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I found a few in a rare neighborhood of post-war bungalows in Highland Park, MI: https://goo.gl/maps/u82NMpZcHaUXbj55A
Wow, I never knew this neighborhood existed.

Given the location, I wonder if this is one of the first postwar, suburban-style African American neighborhoods in Metro Detroit. I believe this corner of Highland Park was majority black since 1960, at least, so these homeowners have probably always been predominantly AA.

Also doesn't appear to be urban renewal, just a random market-rate development on a (previously empty?) scrap of land. Also appears extremely well-kept considering the devastated surroundings.

I've also noticed a few postwar, bungalow-style ranch enclaves near Central High, and in the Dexter Davison area, which is weird, because those areas were fully built out nearly a century ago. I guess just scraps of leftover land. Also interesting that these enclaves were built post-white flight, and appear to be market-rate. Maybe AA developers? Or Jewish developers who had faith in the old neighborhood and who resisted redlining.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Wow, I never knew this neighborhood existed.

Given the location, I wonder if this is one of the first postwar, suburban-style African American neighborhoods in Metro Detroit. I believe this corner of Highland Park was majority black since 1960, at least, so these homeowners have probably always been predominantly AA.

Also doesn't appear to be urban renewal, just a random market-rate development on a (previously empty?) scrap of land. Also appears extremely well-kept considering the devastated surroundings.

I've also noticed a few postwar, bungalow-style ranch enclaves near Central High, and in the Dexter Davison area, which is weird, because those areas were fully built out nearly a century ago. I guess just scraps of leftover land. Also interesting that these enclaves were built post-white flight, and appear to be market-rate. Maybe AA developers? Or Jewish developers who had faith in the old neighborhood and who resisted redlining.
I don't think Highland Park became a predominantly black city until the 1970s or 1980s, so these were probably built for white families. I also don't know about the history behind why they were built here, but my suspicion is that the area was re-developed to build housing that could compete with the newer suburbs circa 1960. The architecture on the street behind the cul-de-sacs is mixed between post-war bungalows and pre-war brick houses: https://goo.gl/maps/RqmrxLqmiwzJpLrB8

This area is walking distance from the Ford Model T plant, so it would've been prime location for dense housing in the years between 1910 and 1930 or so.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
In Edmonds, WA all the dead end street signs say "Street Ends." Here in KC I'd say probably 80% of the dead end street signs either say "No Outlet" or "Street Ends." Really funny how some places don't want the word "dead" on their signs.
For the longest time, in California, for dead end streets, our signs said "NOT A THROUGH STREET." Only within the last few years have I been seeing more signs that say "DEAD END." I used to associate "DEAD END" signs with other states.

"NO OUTLET" is usually used for a street that branches off to more than one street but none of the streets take you to a main thoroughfare; they all dead end.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 3:57 PM

We need tons more of these in our cities. Steely is right though, as long as they let peds and bikes through, they are great.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 8:29 PM

This is the entrance to Presidio Terrace, a private gated dead-end street/cul-de-sac in San Francisco which is home to some of the city's elite. The house on the left just past the gate is that of Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@3...-5VUg1TPIU83Dg

They let no one through who doesn't live there.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
This is the entrance to Presidio Terrace, a private gated dead-end street/cul-de-sac in San Francisco which is home to some of the city's elite. The house on the left just past the gate is that of Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

You sure about that? I walked through last April no problem. It's interesting to see the big houses with yards in the middle of the city. And a large synagogue towers over/behind some of the homes.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
You sure about that? I walked through last April no problem. It's interesting to see the big houses with yards in the middle of the city. And a large synagogue towers over/behind some of the homes.

Oops. That sort of burst that little balloon. Lol

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
No actually and glad to hear you walked through with no trouble. I always assumed there was a good chance somebody would call the cops if they saw a stranger walking through and this is one neighborhood where the cops would respond. I've been tempted to drive through just to check it out many times over the years but decided the potential hassle wasn't worth it.

Of course if your complexion is right, who knows.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Oops. That sort of burst that little balloon. Lol
What balloon?

Note the white SUV parked next to the gate. I'm guessing that's security for Feinstein. The gate is mostly ornamental and there's no gate guard so you can walk in. But as I said, I'd bet there's a decent chance somebody would call the cops about a dubious stranger.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 12:30 AM

Yeah, my guess is that when Feinstein is in DC, it's open to the public but when she is home it's probably difficult to just wander around in there. I know I drove in there a couple times with no security issues.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

That's not really a cul-de-sac though. It's a gated community with a road that loops around. It kind of reminds me of Fremont Place on Wilshire: https://goo.gl/maps/X5KDgd9wUaheaHFJ8

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 8:45 AM
aka GM on SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
It means the same in French: https://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaire...l-de-sac/21022

In fact, not only does it literally mean "dead end street" in French, it also means "dead end" in the metaphorical way that "dead end" is also used in English.
But actually, these kind of streets are never named "cul-de-sac" in French, but "impasse".
The word "cul-de-sac" is still used, but never to officially name these streets.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantais View Post
But actually, these kind of streets are never named "cul-de-sac" in French, but "impasse".
The word "cul-de-sac" is still used, but never to officially name these streets.

In France maybe, but in Québec, the word cul-de-sac is used on road signs.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 12:12 PM
aka GM on SSC

But is it used to name the street on the sign, like this example below ?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
We need tons more of these in our cities. Steely is right though, as long as they let peds and bikes through, they are great.
I agree.

The problem with American suburban subdivisions with cul-de-sacs is that they make walking in anything resembling a direct path impossible. But if you could marry the traffic calming attributes of fewer through streets with pedestrian paths allowing cut throughs, it is the best of both worlds.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantais View Post
I've never seen "cul-de-sac" used as part of the name of a street. As I said earlier, the two I lived on, one near Toronto, the other near Houston, were named "Court."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
In France maybe, but in Québec, the word cul-de-sac is used on road signs.
Would not surprise me. Stop signs in Québec say ARRÊT. Stop signs in France say STOP.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Would not surprise me. Stop signs in Québec say ARRÊT. Stop signs in France say STOP.
I believe it's an EU directive that all stop signs say "STOP." They say that in Spain and other EU countries, too.

In Mexico, all stop signs say "ALTO."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I believe it's an EU directive that all stop signs say "STOP." They say that in Spain and other EU countries, too.
Maybe, but I first saw them in 1979, before there was an official EU.

ETA: I just read that they used to say STOP in Québec as well until somebody somewhere got the idea that they were a danger to the culture. I remember STOP signs in Ottawa had English and French in 1972. They were English-only in Toronto.

Last edited by bilbao58; Mar 31, 2021 at 4:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions