HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:03 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I always thought First Place was one of the later highrises downtown. I must have confused it with another one.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 4:03 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I always thought First Place was one of the later highrises downtown. I must have confused it with another one.
It was re-clad not too long ago, so it may look newer than it actually is. Originally it was all orange-brown brick, like the podium.

First time I saw the beige and grey paneling I was shocked. Still don't like it.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:37 AM

Jokes My Folks Never Told Me (1977)

Directed by: Gerry Woolery
Rating: R (Not For Children)
Review Summary

Maybe your folks never did, but we bet that Grandpa or Uncle Louie whispered a few of these. Anyway, you've heard most of these racy knee-slappers before. The film is little more than a series of blackouts, concentrating on anatomical humor. And oh, yes: there's lots of buxom females. This 82-minute pastiche is in the same vein as If You Don't Stop It, You'll Go Blind and Can I Do It...Till I Need Glasses? ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

http://www.amazon.com/Jokes-My-Folks.../dp/B0009JTRUG

'Red Hot Chili Peppers' Anthony Kiedis pranks Schoolteacher - See more at: http://www.j4hi.com/page6/page43/JOK....CQxKtl0Y.dpuf

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 5:47 AM

From Wiki
Quote:
First Place Hamilton, is a 25-storey, (78.0 m), seniors retirement apartment building in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, which was built in 1976. [1] It is the 13th-tallest building in Hamilton.
http://www.firstplacehamilton.ca/our-history
Quote:
On the 13th of September, 1969 Hamilton's First United Church was consumed by a tragic electrical fire. The church, which occupied the land between King Street and Main Street, was destroyed, leaving behind only a shell of the once lavish structure.

Rather than rebuild the church, the congregation decided to give back to the community from which they came, by erecting a multi-purpose facility complete with space to continue church gatherings and activities. A non-profit corporation was formed to build and manage the new facility.

Housing for seniors became the focus of the endeavour. Trevor Garwood-Jones, architect of such major projects as Hamilton Place and St. Peter's Hospital commissioned a grandiose structure complete with residential, commercial and public spaces.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...0&postcount=98

Quote:
First United Church at the corner of King Street East at Wellington Street. The First Methodist (later First United in 1925) Church opened in the spring of 1914 and was destroyed by fire on September 13, 1969.

Former Hamiltonian architect W.E.N. Hunter had been commissioned to design this church. His family lived in a house on the south east corner of Wellington Street East at Main Street, which was immediately across from the old First Methodist church which W.E.N. Hunter later replaced with this new design. His family would have attended the old church.

The style of this church was Italian Renaissance, had seating for 1500 people, and a fifty-six feet high, sixty feet in diameter copper dome. Lights lit up the dome and gave a deep, rich, golden glow. When fire destroyed the church, the congregation merged with the First Pilgrim United Church.
https://www.historypin.org/attach/ui...5/tab:preview/

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I have no memory of the building on the southeast corner of King and Walnut (where Forbidden City is now) with its windows uncovered.
And bay windows, even. Also:

1. Toupée shop!
2. Jokes My Folks Never Told Me dates the picture and serves up an Anthony Kiedis cameo
3. Cannon bus in the IV?
4. Ghost of St. Deny’s

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 2:57 PM

For those who are interested and have Facebook, there are more pictures of the First United Church fire at the "The Big House" Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4728860&type=3

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:05 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It was re-clad not too long ago, so it may look newer than it actually is. Originally it was all orange-brown brick, like the podium.

First time I saw the beige and grey paneling I was shocked. Still don't like it.
Ah, that makes sense.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 7:27 PM

Cool

The building underwent recladding and balcony enclosing in 1994.. I remember watching out the window of Cathedral Boys while wishing I was "anywhere but here" back in the day..

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 7:41 PM
Hammer'd

Also about the Cannon bus, it used to turn left on Wellington from Cannon, right on King following down to the old Macnab terminal. It was moved to it's current routing along James North to the GO station in 2009. Similarly, it and the Barton bus also used to use Hughson to go North to Wilson or Barton from Main Street. I remember the stop beside the bingo hall pretty well.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Also about the Cannon bus, it used to turn left on Wellington from Cannon, right on King following down to the old Macnab terminal. It was moved to it's current routing along James North to the GO station in 2009. Similarly, it and the Barton bus also used to use Hughson to go North to Wilson or Barton from Main Street. I remember the stop beside the bingo hall pretty well.
The Cannon bus in the picture is 653. According to Hamilton Transit History, this series of buses where scrapped in the late 70's.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 2:57 AM

Facebook - Vintage Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:10 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 11:24 AM

^What a monolith...times 2.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 12:47 PM

I really miss that office complex. Its streamlined architecture really added to the skyline and made the city feel more like a city. The retrofit to its current featureless state looks cheap and ugly in comparison.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Installing the new Gore Park fountains just in time to enhance the holiday scene. Nov 28, '59
FB - VH

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 2:48 AM

I'm not sure people ever really embraced that fountain. Why do people always want to mess with Gore Park? Hopefully these more recent changes will be OK.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 8:52 PM

"Two HSR horsecars at King & James in the mid 1880s. HSR 19 is heading north after having been turned on the turntable, while the other horsecar is being spun."

FB - VH

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
someone help me out here, is this taken from St Joe's? i don't recognize a single building in the foreground.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post

"Two HSR horsecars at King & James in the mid 1880s. HSR 19 is heading north after having been turned on the turntable, while the other horsecar is being spun."

FB - VH
A rare photo of Hamilton's old, old City Hall. Demolished in the late 1880s for the Richardsonian Romanesque pile built by James Balfour.

Taken from the very new Canada Life and Assurance Company headquarters (aka Birk's building).

The S.G. Treble building and those to the east still stand on that corner, though in terrible condition (obviously). Likely almost 50 years old at the time this photo was taken.

And look as those poor horses. No idea how they managed to pull those cars - a short and brutal life.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 3:09 AM
Urban Fanactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by durandy View Post
someone help me out here, is this taken from St Joe's? i don't recognize a single building in the foreground.
Those office buildings are now the Chateau Royale on James Street South.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos