HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 4:25 PM

Ted, the "edges" of downtown can be debated and argued, but there's definitely an inner and outer. The inner, or core, I would say is defined by I-10 on the west, railroad tracks to the north and east...and obviously the south is a little more blurred...I would landmark it by St. Augustine/TCC South/Cushing. To go even further, the north west boundary is tricky due to the neighborhood, but the large lot in front of El Charro and the COT owned lots adjacent to the tracks are left for interpretation.

With that said, the HORIZONTAL 4-5 story Junction at Iron Horse and District on 5th apartments are outer edge of downtown. Those developments are very appropriate. The Mercado, west end stuff...fine, 3-6. However, these Urban Flats on Church, La Placita, and 151 Stone are inner core. To have 3 of these long horizontal developments in the center of downtown is alarming. Yes, some of this has to do with the market, with demand. But look at the # of units for UofA student housing compared to the units in these structures. Very close...yet developers at Main Gate are going 10-14 stories. Downtown developers are going 6.

Its the DESIGN and LAYOUT. The Urban Flats are taking more area than originally planned. The development is taking more of the plaza at the NE and SW corners of the total area. They went horizontal rather than vertical. Sure, market studies dictated that a 23-story structure was a pipe dream. I can accept that. But to go from 23ish to 6? Come on. Our planning/design/architectural community in Tucson are small-timers. I can go on a tangent on that. If this development would have went from 23 to 15...I would have been sadden, but still excited. 23 to 10? Extremely sadden, but reason out that 10 would be the tallest since 1986. BUT 6 WITH THAT LAYOUT?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Ted, the "edges" of downtown can be debated and argued, but there's definitely an inner and outer. The inner, or core, I would say is defined by I-10 on the west, railroad tracks to the north and east...and obviously the south is a little more blurred...I would landmark it by St. Augustine/TCC South/Cushing. To go even further, the north west boundary is tricky due to the neighborhood, but the large lot in front of El Charro and the COT owned lots adjacent to the tracks are left for interpretation.

With that said, the HORIZONTAL 4-5 story Junction at Iron Horse and District on 5th apartments are outer edge of downtown. Those developments are very appropriate. The Mercado, west end stuff...fine, 3-6. However, these Urban Flats on Church, La Placita, and 151 Stone are inner core. To have 3 of these long horizontal developments in the center of downtown is alarming. Yes, some of this has to do with the market, with demand. But look at the # of units for UofA student housing compared to the units in these structures. Very close...yet developers at Main Gate are going 10-14 stories. Downtown developers are going 6.

Its the DESIGN and LAYOUT. The Urban Flats are taking more area than originally planned. The development is taking more of the plaza at the NE and SW corners of the total area. They went horizontal rather than vertical. Sure, market studies dictated that a 23-story structure was a pipe dream. I can accept that. But to go from 23ish to 6? Come on. Our planning/design/architectural community in Tucson are small-timers. I can go on a tangent on that. If this development would have went from 23 to 15...I would have been sadden, but still excited. 23 to 10? Extremely sadden, but reason out that 10 would be the tallest since 1986. BUT 6 WITH THAT LAYOUT?
I was honestly curious what your conception was because I thought about it myself and the areas I would consider to be edges of downtown are limited and, where they do exist, are often further limited by historic status.

The area around the mercado is the best example of a place that these developments would be appropriate. However, north of the train tracks, historic status becomes an issue for many lots near the streetcar, which has limited development. To the east of downtown, there are a lot of potential development sites, but no streetcar. The southern edge is almost completely blocked by historic zones.

What this all means is that, if developers want to do anything near the streetcar, downtown is actually their easiest option, which I think partially explains why these projects have focused there even if they may not be the absolute best use of their lots.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:12 PM

Now that I've got my tantrum out of the way, I was reflecting this morning as I walked to get my coffee standing at the SW corner of Stone and Congress , shaking my head, what do I consider as good projects and what I consider as missed opportunities (aka, wish they could have done more). The longer I stood on that corner the more intrigued I got in visualizing a development that will finally fill that void that's been lingering for 30 years.

All things considered, I'm appreciative of the increased density and steady activity downtown. Most of us remember those "dry" and dreary years...so, yes, I'm shamefully going down that path of: "Well at least something is being built" mentality. My rationalization of what's "good" and "bad" is based on site/lot location, not product. Another criterion is layout. Here's my list:

Good projects (projects I like):
- One East Broadway
- One West Broadway
- Unisource Bldg
- AC Marriott
- Main Gate Square Overlay (student towers, Main Gate Residence Inn, love them all)
- Ronstadt (if current plans remain)
- Cathedral Square
- Banner Tower
- UA Health Science Innovation

Bad projects

- Cadence (gateway lot, missed opportunity for an iconic building entering downtown)
- La Placita (major downtown intersection opportunity)
- Urban Flats (deviated from footprint of long anticipated tower, got us excited)
- 141 South Stone (design, layout)
- Tucson Origins (why?, who really cares?)

Obviously, special recognition goes out to 1) Bourn for taking a lifetime to build on the Thrifty Lot, although I like the current product 2) Nor-Gen, for giving us the fear that he will never produce on the Convention Site 3) HSL, for leaving the ol' Holiday Inn tower empty, and for replacing the out-dated La Placita with one of his glorified, yet ill-placed apartment complexes, and 4) Peach Properties for giving us the worst, most terrifying renderings of all-time, the Armory.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:53 PM

New 75,000 SF Shopping Center Coming to Southwest Tucson

A little bit of infill on the SW side off of Valencia Road. A Fry's Shopping Center is already being developed next door.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:58 PM

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 1:10 AM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
I saw that too. Gave me a good chuckle.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:33 PM

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 4:34 PM

Awesome.

And I'm really enjoying more and more articles from the Tucson Sentinel.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
Awesome.

And I'm really enjoying more and more articles from the Tucson Sentinel.
Agree, it is my go to Tucson news source now

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 2:32 AM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 1:55 PM

Here's a Tucson Sentinel article that I like ->Sunshine Mile born to die for progress

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 3:52 PM

Seems like a reshuffle is happening between hotel concepts in Main Gate Square. New documents submitted by the 714 Euclid (Bob Vint) group indicate that they've partnered with Residence Inn. This obviously calls into question what's happening with the project on 2nd Street.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/..._Package_2.pdf

My hope is that Marriott is simply planning to rebrand the 2nd Street project subsequent to their merger with Starwood. Otherwise, a search for a new operator may explain the lack of movement there lately.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Seems like a reshuffle is happening between hotel concepts in Main Gate Square. New documents submitted by the 714 Euclid (Bob Vint) group indicate that they've partnered with Residence Inn. This obviously calls into question what's happening with the project on 2nd Street.

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/pdsd/..._Package_2.pdf

My hope is that Marriott is simply planning to rebrand the 2nd Street project subsequent to their merger with Starwood. Otherwise, a search for a new operator may explain the lack of movement there lately.
Huh. I kind of assumed the 714 Euclid project was dead. The Main Gate hotel was much more exciting to me. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't work out.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 6:21 AM

Reid Park Zoo announces plans for Health Science Center

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3...science-center

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 3:12 PM

Peach's transformation of the old Brings building is starting to sound like a pretty decent project.

http://tucson.com/thisistucson/eat/f...e9f7ca0a9.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 5:00 AM

Tucson's far east side getting movie theater with dining option

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/tu...5d0564da0.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Peach's transformation of the old Brings building is starting to sound like a pretty decent project.

http://tucson.com/thisistucson/eat/f...e9f7ca0a9.html
I work right across McCormick from this building, literally like 20 feet away. We've watched for months as they've worked on this with rumors of what this would be. Can't wait for this to open.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:39 AM

Maybe not as exciting as a brand new employer bringing 2,000 high-paying jobs, but the Star writes that Raytheon is the company referenced in Patrick S's post from the 13th.

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/ma...45179c5ab.html

Still great news, nonetheless.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:11 AM

Well that century went up pretty quick, and the Dave and Busters is right behind it. I know its just a Century sign but it looks pretty cool in person. It fits right in with adjacent In-n-Out Burger sign that is pretty large. Can they please build an IKEA in that remaining lot(s) next to Costco, that would be great haha. Or does anyone know anything else going there?

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/ne...65d6541d9.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest