HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 12:25 AM

It's confirmed that this will be indeed be a Hyatt Centric:

Quote:
Recent development deals include plans for Hyatt Centric Portland, a hotel to be built by a joint venture between affiliates of Hyatt and Liberty Hotel Investments. The 220-room hotel will be developed within the urban core of downtown Portland, Ore. at the intersection of SW 11th and SW Alder streets. Expected to open in early 2020, the new hotel will be within walking distance to various high-quality food and beverage experiences and unique neighborhoods that reflect Portland’s diverse and eclectic culture. Hyatt will manage the hotel under a long-term management agreement.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
One of downtown's newest hotels tops out

The forthcoming Hyatt Centric Downtown Portland hotel has gotten as high as it's going to get.

Last week, crews from Mortenson and others working on the project celebrated the topping off of the hotel with the placement of the 15-story building's last steel beam.

Rising from the corner of Southwest 11th Avenue and Southwest Alder Street, the new hotel will offer 220 rooms, 3,000 square feet of meeting space and a restaurant and bar from a yet-to-be-named Portland restauranteur. Mortenson acquired the property for the hotel from the United Way of the Columbia-Willamette in 2015.

“The property will be a dynamic addition to downtown Portland, serving as a local home base for visitors set on exploring all that Portland has to offer,” said Dan Mehls, vice president and general manager of Mortenson in Oregon, in a release.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Ataula Team to Open Masia Inside Downtown’s New Hyatt Centric Hotel

For those still mourning the loss of NE Broadway’s Chesa and 180 Xurros, fret not: as Portland Monthly has learned, Jose Chesa and his team are back in action with Masia (pronounced “mah-seeya”), a new anchor restaurant set to open inside the new 15-story Hyatt Centric hotel on the corner of SW Alder and 11th in January 2020. He’s the latest chef in an increasingly long line of local talent (Vitaly Paley, and Doug Adams, etc.) to make his mark on Portland’s hotel boom.

Masia, a type of iconic, historic farmhouse common in Catalonia and Southern France, was often used as a weekend getaway or functional agrarian gathering space for families starting in the 12th century. Chesa, whose grandfather built their family masia over a century ago, chose the name to represent the restaurant’s devotion to the hyper-local farm-to-table movement, but also a communal, familial ethos he hopes will resonate, even in the 3000-square-foot space.
...continues at Portland Monthly.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 8:45 PM

I believe this is now open.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I believe this is now open.
As of today.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
As of today.
Does anyone have pics of the finished product by chance? I live on the east coast, but planning to move back soon!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 2:30 AM

2/15/2020

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 8:56 PM

A couple more from a sunny walking lunch today.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:38 AM
A before E

This hotel turned out much nicer than I expected, I am really hopeful for the one across the street too, not the Ritz, the little hotel that is under construction.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 12:14 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
A couple more from a sunny walking lunch today.

When this one came through the Design Review process with the "tilting-timbers" ground floor, it seemed like a gimmick worth trying. Now completed, the tilting timbers seem like a disembodied set of components flimsily supporting the building's mass above. Maybe the pedestrian experience of quirkiness will be what makes it worth the gamble. But as architecture, I don't think it will catch on.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
When this one came through the Design Review process with the "tilting-timbers" ground floor, it seemed like a gimmick worth trying. Now completed, the tilting timbers seem like a disembodied set of components flimsily supporting the building's mass above. Maybe the pedestrian experience of quirkiness will be what makes it worth the gamble. But as architecture, I don't think it will catch on.
I don't care for the design. It looks like the first floor is not complete. But, I've not yet seen it in person.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:01 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

It looks like the bottom collapsed and they're using wood beams to hold the sides up until somebody figures out what to do about it.

It looks like somebody designed a tower by doing the best they could with a very limited budget ("It's fine..."), somebody else had what could have been a nice idea for a ski lodge, and both were hired to design this but neither was allowed to see the other's work.

The two parts don't come together at all.

The ski lodge concept breaks down along Alder where they ran out of ways to incorporate the timbers into the design, so... they just stick a big metal door there. I guess the design breaks down at the opposite corner of the building along SW 11th too, but it doesn't look as bad there since the gap without timbers holding the thing up isn't as wide.

I don't get it.

EDITED to add: It does look better in person.

Last edited by 2oh1; Feb 22, 2020 at 1:49 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The two parts don't come together at all.
Bingo. It's gimmick architecture, with no discernible story or overriding concept. Hurrible.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 6:12 PM

Wood posts supporting concrete (visually, if not structurally) looks odd to me as well. I do like the precast though. The chevron shape looks really good in the late afternoon/evening sun.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland