HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Avalon West Chelsea in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 8:04 PM

Smile NEW YORK | Avalon West Chelsea | 27 floors

Quote:
Avalon West Chelsea Plays Demolition Derby on West 28th Street

Over in the hinterlands of West Chelsea, along the low-slung block of West 28th Street near Eleventh Avenue, the crew from SLCE is wiping away the past and getting ready to build new. This is where the Avalon West Chelsea will rise, a full 691 units situated just beyond a wildflower field blooming atop the High Line's newest stretch. This vast tract of lumber yards and building supply warehouses has been leveled, and what's to come remains a bit of a mystery.
Paperwork was first filed back in 2008, but then the financial freeze set in and this site became just another "maybe" on the long list of stalled projects. Now test pits have been approved and demo is in the final stages. Renders are nowhere to be found, but sleuthy real estate blogger Ivie Clifford, who tags this new nabe as "The Higher Line," reports that we'll see "one lobby, two towers."

Digging through the project's paperwork reveals more of what's to come. The plumbing application, still not approved, indicates something long and 13 stories tall, with 500+ garbage disposals spread throughout. Based on the number of fixtures found on floors 14 to 27, signs point to a tower with set backs, with 9 units per floor from 14 to 23 and 5 on each floor from 24 to 27. Views of Jersey and spots west are in store. As for where to find the best views of construction at Avalon West Chelsea? We nominate the +aRT condos just across the way, the glass-bricked tower wrapped in chain mail that is the soon-to-open Hotel Americano, and the festive roof deck at the Eagle.
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...o-on-west-th-2

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...5a243c72_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...32478883_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...1de76afa_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...644f5b50_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...c26c1d81_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...8d54eb06_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...ec83a00c_o.jpg

http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...88972bd7_o.jpg

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 8:31 PM

Since this won't be very tall, I'm hoping for something on the same level architecturally as the pyramid up on 57th or whatever. If not, will turn a once pretty uninteresting block into something a bit better without a doubt, but this came out of nowhere at least for me so it's nice to hear.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Since this won't be very tall, I'm hoping for something on the same level architecturally as the pyramid up on 57th or whatever. If not, will turn a once pretty uninteresting block into something a bit better without a doubt, but this came out of nowhere at least for me so it's nice to hear.
Its Avalon, so no it wont be at a high level of architecture

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 4:23 AM

Like all Avalon buildings in this city, it will be ugly.

Move along folks' nothing here to see.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 7:51 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 292-298 11th Ave | FT | 30 FLOORS

Another new project for West Chelsea, with approximately 750 units. NYC is heating up very rapidly again,

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...x_revealed.php

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 9:13 PM

"Fine Foods Market"?
Who are they trying to kid? Is there anyone that can't see immediately that that's Whole Foods?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 3:45 AM
BANNED

It's a good filler. This area is still a pile of crap, and its full-scale rebound will start when the Yards and Hudson Blvd. are built. At that time, it will take off, and many of the sites with enormous air rights should produce supertall icons.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Nov 18, 2011 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 4:13 PM

This looks disgusting and generic. Nothing unique, just an ugly plain mass. Change the brown stone/concrete or whatever to something nicer- maybe stainless steel panels or something.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 4:57 PM
BANNED

I believe that it's brick.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2011, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman92 View Post
This looks disgusting and generic. Nothing unique, just an ugly plain mass. Change the brown stone/concrete or whatever to something nicer- maybe stainless steel panels or something.
For what it is, I like it. It's far better than an empty lot.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 11:28 PM

I know this isn't the most interesting project in the city, but I randomly met a guy who works for the developer about four five days ago and he said they'd just started construction, either that day or the day before, for what it's worth.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 3:53 AM

I don't mind it.
It's kind of a rehashed design but it's better than a lot of what's going up in Toronto. 100% spandrel boxes, developers got pretty lazy a year ago but things are finally looking up.

I'm curious as to why a lot of NYC residential projects don't have balconies? I thought balconies were a big selling point in North America, even though balconies can completely butcher a project's architectural aesthetic.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:02 AM
Build Baby Build

Balconies went out in the 90s. Good riddance.

Also this project made me puke in my mouth a little but at least it is better than an empty lot. Just some more forgettable filler. I would prefer if the project was just the tower and taller but it looks like the newly finished whole foods/ cookie cutter area around 97-100th street and amsterdam.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 11:29 PM

Looks like there's some prep work going on here according to Curbed.

Can't figure out how to post the pictures from Curbed on my iPhone so maybe someone can help me out there. Not the worst building in the world, but far from interesting.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 12:16 AM
low-riding

Haha. I wonder how they'll feel when they realize their across the street from the most famous gay leather bar in the city. the eagle

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 12:40 AM
Heavy User

wow that's a lot of units. it's not especially good looking but that's a nice, large, development.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:11 PM
Ω

It's massive but so boring.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

a current look at the site from the highline:

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 4:07 PM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 9:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I'm curious as to why a lot of NYC residential projects don't have balconies? I thought balconies were a big selling point in North America, even though balconies can completely butcher a project's architectural aesthetic.
I noticed this in NYC. A large percentage of the older residential buildings don't have balconies/terraces on most (or all) of the units, and an even larger percentage of the newer towers don't.

In Toronto and Vancouver (actually every Canadian city) almost every residential tower (old or new) has balconies or terraces for nearly every non-ground floor unit. Personally I wouldn't even consider living in a highrise without a balcony. Even though I barely use my balcony, it's nice to know it's there. And when friends are over you can sit out there and down some beers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive