HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 14, 2004, 10:02 PM
Amen...

No, you're right. Dillard's should be right beside the South Trust building. I think the map is a little out of date, unless Dillard's just recently bailed.

heh "17 1/2 street"

Old Posted Sep 15, 2004, 1:31 AM

John Whitaker named to lead development of Atlantic Station

By WALTER WOODS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 09/14/04

AIG, the global insurance giant and the investment muscle behind Atlantic Station, has tapped a local developer to serve "the CEO role" for the 138-acre mixed use development on the Downtown Connector.

John Whitaker, for the last six years a principal at developer Trammell Crow Co., will join Atlantic Station LLC and local developer Carter as part of the team overseeing the Atlantic Station project, Whitaker said Tuesday.

Whitaker, who's been in the commercial real estate business in Atlanta for 21 years, was involved in the development of The Proscenium tower in Midtown, which Trammell Crow sold last year for a record price.

John Whitaker to lead Atlantic Station project
Jarred Schenke
Staff Writer
One of the key players in the development of big-named office towers in Atlanta has been tapped to raise more towers at Atlantic Station.

John Whitaker has been hired by insurance giant American International Group Inc. (NYSE: AIG) to spearhead its pet Atlanta project, Atlantic Station. AIG is co-owner of the massive mixed-use project on 17th Street in Midtown with Atlanta developer Jacoby Development Inc. Whitaker has vacated one of the senior management posts at Trammell Crow Co. in Atlanta, a position that had him directing the firms brokerage and development efforts locally.

"AIG is focused on the Atlantic Station project. I was attracted to this project and I am once again in the development arena," Whitaker said. "What I bring to the table is an office background. I will be joining the team that has been working on this project for awhile."

This is the latest moves among the owners of Atlantic Station to gear up further development at the planned 12 million-square-foot, $2 billion project. Earlier this year, Jacoby hired Atlanta real estate firm Carter to lease and manage the project, including helping fill out the remaining empty office space at 1275 Peachtree Building, the local headquarters for SouthTrust Bank. Carter also is expected to move its offices to Atlantic Station as well.

And Whitaker also is a commercial real estate veteran, one who could help replace Atlanta development icon Charlie Brown, who retired last year from Jacoby after helping the developer jump regulatory and political hurdles to get Atlantic Station started.

"The fact that John Whitaker has been brought in to represent the owner I think reinforces the [need] to expedite the development," said Clark Gore, executive vice president of Holder Properties Inc. in Atlanta. "This is a good move for him. I think it's just a reinforcement that AIG is prepared to move forward expeditiously."

Officials with Carter and Jacoby did not return calls as of press time.

Veteran's experience
Whitaker is certainly no stranger to Atlanta office development, being involved on some of the key features to the metro area's skyline.

Whitaker was at The Landmarks Group during the 1980's and was the development officer for the latter half of the Concourse Corporate Center project in the Perimeter area, including its two most distinctive office buildings -- towers five and six, more popularly known as the King and Queen buildings. He also helped spearhead development of Capital City Plaza in Buckhead while with Hillman Properties.

Whitaker also became apart of Faison Enterprises, an Atlanta real estate company that eventually was sold to Trammell Crow. Whitaker stayed on with Trammell Crow, rising in the ranks to eventually head up its brokerage and development divisions in Atlanta.

For Whitaker, the move to AIG represents a move back to the pure development business.

Atlantic Station was a development he didn't understand until he dove into the project, Whitaker said.

"The project is going to be very, very cool when it's finished. Right now there's a tremendous amount of construction under way, and I'm not sure the market understands what this project is going to do for Atlanta," he said.

With the SouthTrust building finished, cranes have been spotted again at the project, this time focused on the 800,000 square feet of retail shops, including a future IKEA store. There are also plans to convert what was office space above some of the retail spaces into condominiums. And recently Novare Group announced plans for a residential tower at the site.

While AIG and Jacoby have plans for a second office tower at the site, nothing is in the works currently, Whitaker said. In other words, no new tower will begin without a company agreeing to take a significant amount of space prior to ground-breaking, he said.

"I think [the owners] are going to take whatever opportunities the market offers them," Whitaker said. "But any new office buildings will be anchor driven. The project has a tremendous amount of momentum right now. We are eager to do more development there."

Whitaker said his position only "augments" what Carter has been doing at Atlantic Station since officially taking the leasing and management duties.

"John's not looking to lease and manage. John will be the eyes and ears for AIG, and I see him taking a larger role," said Chris Schoen president of Barry Real Estate Co. in Atlanta. "[It's] a real big project. It can create a lot of momentum, and he's a smart guy. I'm sure he can make it successful more than it would have been otherwise."

John Decker, another development icon in Atlanta and partner with Childress Klein Properties, said Whitaker's past experience will play a key role at Atlantic Station.

"He's got many, many years of experience on the landlord side of the business," Decker said. "I think he brings a good reputation to the table. And his track record and what that speaks of brings a lot to the table."

Old Posted Sep 15, 2004, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff
No, you're right. Dillard's should be right beside the South Trust building. I think the map is a little out of date, unless Dillard's just recently bailed.

heh "17 1/2 street"
Are you sure about that?

I always thought it was where they show it on the plan. I can't see why they would put a single-use store on the site where the best views are.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 15, 2004, 1:40 AM

I drove by today and it looks like they are putting it just where it is on that drawing.

It's good to read they might be putting even more residential above retail, that should be fun.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2004, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNofAtlanta
John Whitaker named to lead development of Atlantic Station

By WALTER WOODS
Published on: 09/14/04

AIG, the global insurance giant and the investment muscle behind Atlantic Station, has tapped a local developer to serve "the CEO role" for the 138-acre mixed use development on the Downtown Connector.

John Whitaker, for the last six years a principal at developer Trammell Crow Co., will join Atlantic Station LLC and local developer Carter as part of the team overseeing the Atlantic Station project, Whitaker said Tuesday.

Whitaker, who's been in the commercial real estate business in Atlanta for 21 years, was involved in the development of The Proscenium tower in Midtown, which Trammell Crow sold last year for a record price.

John Whitaker to lead Atlantic Station project
Jarred Schenke
Staff Writer
One of the key players in the development of big-named office towers in Atlanta has been tapped to raise more towers at Atlantic Station.

John Whitaker has been hired by insurance giant American International Group Inc. (NYSE: AIG) to spearhead its pet Atlanta project, Atlantic Station. AIG is co-owner of the massive mixed-use project on 17th Street in Midtown with Atlanta developer Jacoby Development Inc. Whitaker has vacated one of the senior management posts at Trammell Crow Co. in Atlanta, a position that had him directing the firms brokerage and development efforts locally.

"AIG is focused on the Atlantic Station project. I was attracted to this project and I am once again in the development arena," Whitaker said. "What I bring to the table is an office background. I will be joining the team that has been working on this project for awhile."

This is the latest moves among the owners of Atlantic Station to gear up further development at the planned 12 million-square-foot, $2 billion project. Earlier this year, Jacoby hired Atlanta real estate firm Carter to lease and manage the project, including helping fill out the remaining empty office space at 1275 Peachtree Building, the local headquarters for SouthTrust Bank. Carter also is expected to move its offices to Atlantic Station as well.

And Whitaker also is a commercial real estate veteran, one who could help replace Atlanta development icon Charlie Brown, who retired last year from Jacoby after helping the developer jump regulatory and political hurdles to get Atlantic Station started.

"The fact that John Whitaker has been brought in to represent the owner I think reinforces the [need] to expedite the development," said Clark Gore, executive vice president of Holder Properties Inc. in Atlanta. "This is a good move for him. I think it's just a reinforcement that AIG is prepared to move forward expeditiously."

Officials with Carter and Jacoby did not return calls as of press time.

Veteran's experience
Whitaker is certainly no stranger to Atlanta office development, being involved on some of the key features to the metro area's skyline.

Whitaker was at The Landmarks Group during the 1980's and was the development officer for the latter half of the Concourse Corporate Center project in the Perimeter area, including its two most distinctive office buildings -- towers five and six, more popularly known as the King and Queen buildings. He also helped spearhead development of Capital City Plaza in Buckhead while with Hillman Properties.

Whitaker also became apart of Faison Enterprises, an Atlanta real estate company that eventually was sold to Trammell Crow. Whitaker stayed on with Trammell Crow, rising in the ranks to eventually head up its brokerage and development divisions in Atlanta.

For Whitaker, the move to AIG represents a move back to the pure development business.

Atlantic Station was a development he didn't understand until he dove into the project, Whitaker said.

"The project is going to be very, very cool when it's finished. Right now there's a tremendous amount of construction under way, and I'm not sure the market understands what this project is going to do for Atlanta," he said.

With the SouthTrust building finished, cranes have been spotted again at the project, this time focused on the 800,000 square feet of retail shops, including a future IKEA store. There are also plans to convert what was office space above some of the retail spaces into condominiums. And recently Novare Group announced plans for a residential tower at the site.

While AIG and Jacoby have plans for a second office tower at the site, nothing is in the works currently, Whitaker said. In other words, no new tower will begin without a company agreeing to take a significant amount of space prior to ground-breaking, he said.

"I think [the owners] are going to take whatever opportunities the market offers them," Whitaker said. "But any new office buildings will be anchor driven. The project has a tremendous amount of momentum right now. We are eager to do more development there."

Whitaker said his position only "augments" what Carter has been doing at Atlantic Station since officially taking the leasing and management duties.

"John's not looking to lease and manage. John will be the eyes and ears for AIG, and I see him taking a larger role," said Chris Schoen president of Barry Real Estate Co. in Atlanta. "[It's] a real big project. It can create a lot of momentum, and he's a smart guy. I'm sure he can make it successful more than it would have been otherwise."

John Decker, another development icon in Atlanta and partner with Childress Klein Properties, said Whitaker's past experience will play a key role at Atlantic Station.

"He's got many, many years of experience on the landlord side of the business," Decker said. "I think he brings a good reputation to the table. And his track record and what that speaks of brings a lot to the table."
The difference in the two stories is amazing.Walter Woods is not the best reporter the AJC has had since Sally Salters"retired".It's a shame that real estate development is covered so poorly in Atlanta,where developers rule.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2004, 10:53 AM
Amen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus

Are you sure about that?

I always thought it was where they show it on the plan. I can't see why they would put a single-use store on the site where the best views are.
Well, I can't be certain. I have the same information as everyone else. I don't disagree with your point about the placement of a single-use store, especially since it will probably have few windows; however, I though I read somewhere that it was going to be beside the SouthTrust tower. I know the renderings have shown it as such, but then, its debatable whether you can consider that cannon.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2004, 5:31 PM

I just biked from the West Side Market to the MARTA Arts Center Station via 17th Street. It seems IKEA is putting on their trademark blue facade.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2004, 5:42 PM

There was a rendering of the IKEA in the AJC last week, I think it was.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2004, 10:16 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
It seems IKEA is putting on their trademark blue facade.
That's unfortunate. If it was blue, it might be OK but, instead it's BLUE !!

From the Peachtree/I-85 bridge

Last edited by (four 0 four); Sep 19, 2004 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2004, 4:43 PM

Atlantic Station Progress

GNofAtlanta - glad to see you found my website and were able to post the image of the 'District' area plans as they were slated to look about 2 years ago when that image was put together.

You are all correct - the Dillard's is now on the southeast side of District, right next to the Southtrust building. Here is a better representation of the District that I put together last night.

Also - I posted some more progress pics at http://www.ascommunity.com/pictures/092004/index.htm

We are getting our 7th crane today as the Dillard's contractors are constructing theirs on the site! Progress is happening all around!!

--Joey

Old Posted Sep 21, 2004, 5:08 PM

Re: Atlantic Station Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascommunity.com
GNofAtlanta - glad to see you found my website and were able to post the image of the 'District' area plans as they were slated to look about 2 years ago when that image was put together.

You are all correct - the Dillard's is now on the southeast side of District, right next to the Southtrust building. Here is a better representation of the District that I put together last night.

--Joey
Are those pedestrian crossings on 17th Street just a dream? I'm very concerned about the fact that there are so few signals and crosswalks on that street. I know GDOT has their standards, but there are cracks in the concrete, as we've seen from 14th Street.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2004, 5:34 PM

The only crossings on 17th Street, once off the bridge, will be at Market Street and State Street. There are no other crossings planned at this time as the median extends this entire distance on 17th Street.

I agree, it's only north of 17th Street where this development becomes truly urban and truly pedestrian friendly. The wide sidewalks through the rest of the delopment are great, but people still drive by at 50 MPH and it's not the most comfortable feeling at times.

--Joey

Old Posted Sep 21, 2004, 6:15 PM

i see lights which look as if they're supposed to shine upwards for illuminating the overhang, yet when i was walking around saturday night, none were on. have they ever been on, and what do they look like when they are? i actually don't have as much of a problem as so many seem to with the bridge. i kinda like it.

expect some really good shots of atlanta coming soon from tony-detroit. he drove down friday night, got here around noon and i toured him around downtown - east atlanta - inman/candler park - va-hi - midtown - atlantic station and a little of south buckhead.

np: don henley - dirty laundry

Old Posted Sep 21, 2004, 6:27 PM

The lights on the bridge - as well as all the streetlights on 17th street have been out since the last 'Hurricane' passed through. Theses lights are typically on and illuminate the bridge.

--Joey

Old Posted Sep 21, 2004, 9:09 PM
Amen...

Joey, thanks for the updated plan! Its interesting that that north eastern building is shown as "future." I guess it won't be built in this current phase? Your web site is great btw - definitely going to have to bookmark that one

Old Posted Sep 21, 2004, 9:12 PM

Brian,

That is correct, based on current demand the NE building in the District area will not be built as part of the 1st Phase scheduled to open in October 2005.

Thanks for checking out the site. Been collecting info for awhile now so there is quite a history of news/info.

--Joey

Old Posted Sep 27, 2004, 2:09 PM

Hundreds eagerly await Atlantic Station's second condo phase

By DAVID PENDERED
Published on: 09/26/04

After rearing two children in east Cobb County, David and Ruthie Brown are ready to trade their three-story house for an intown condo with urban amenities at their doorstep.

The empty nesters hope to move into the second phase of condos to be built at Atlantic Station, the mini city rising on the west side of the Downtown Connector near Georgia Tech. The Browns and about 300 others are on a waiting list to meet a sales agent and get details on the 322 condo units beginning construction this week.

David Brown sounds as enthusiastic as a college student talking about his first apartment when he describes his hoped-for move to Atlantic Station. Brown owns Northside Restorations, a custom furniture shop on nearby Bishop Street, and his wife teaches third grade at Murdock Elementary School, near Marietta.

"To me it's just a beautiful place and I love the location," Brown says. "I love the way they've got the whole place landscaped. There will be movie theaters and restaurants and shopping, so we'll never need a car to go have a good time anymore."

The Browns are part of a significant crowd that wants to live in Atlantic Station. Fewer than 10 of the first phase of 347 condos remain — and all those are one-bedroom units. All 55 townhouses were sold before they were complete.

The condos were so hot last fall that the developer shifted plans to capitalize on the demand. The Lane Co. retooled plans for 278 apartments to go straight to the condo market. Prices in the second phase, called Element, start in the high $100,000s for a one-bedroom unit and rise into the $300,000s for three bedrooms.

While Atlantic Station may seem old hat to commuters who have watched it evolve from a steel mill into a mixed-use community, it still captures national attention. It won a national Phoenix Award for Excellence in Brownfield Redevelopment last week from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Awards aside, Brown loves the idea of living at Atlantic Station.

"I showed my daughter about three Sundays ago so she could see the view. It's just incredible."

Old Posted Sep 28, 2004, 7:08 PM

d Business News Atlanta 09/28/2004

New Condo Community Planned in the Atlantic Station® Redevelopment

Atlanta –– Lane Company, the same firm responsible for the phenomenally successful Art Foundry condominiums in the ATLANTIC STATION® redevelopment, today announced it will build its second condo project in the popular live/work/play community. Even before the announcement was made, roughly 300 people had already signed up to request information and inquire about sales appointments. More requests are coming in daily.

“We have a fantastic product, an exceptional intown location, and prices that are extremely reasonable, especially for Midtown,” says Bill Donges, Lane Company’s Chief Operating Officer. Donges is also President of CondoLane, which will market and sell the new condos. “This project is at the center of a new kind of urban lifestyle,” he adds.

The new $55 million dollar condo community will include 322 one-, two- and three-bedroom homes. Many will overlook the swimming pool, parks or lake with views of the Midtown and Downtown skylines. Some will feature loft-style mezzanine levels. The first homes should be ready for occupancy by next summer. Final completion is projected for summer of 2006. The new community will be named “element.” Prices will start in the high $100s.

Lane Company set records last October when it sold $10 million dollars worth of condos at Art Foundry in just three hours. Strong sales are predicted for the new community as well.

The new five-story condo community will have parks, a pool with a sun deck, a business center, Internet café, conference room and fitness center. Residents also have the option of joining a professionally-managed health and wellness center and spa, which will be located next door.

The new condos will be minutes from Midtown, Downtown and Buckhead; they are between the new IKEA store and the retail and entertainment district of the ATLANTIC STATION® community, which are both under construction. When complete, the retail and entertainment area will have a movie theatre, a grocery store, restaurants, and world-class shopping. When fully completed, Atlantic Station will feature 12 million square feet of retail, office, residential and hotel space.

Lane Investment & Development Corp. will develop the project, Lane Realty Construction will build it, and CondoLane will market the condos. All are subsidiaries of Atlanta’s Lane Company. The Preston Partnership, LLC, designed the new community.

The condos will be available for presale in the coming weeks. Potential buyers and brokers who want more information, or are interested in pre-sale appointments can sign up online now at www.elementatlanta.com. After signing up they will receive floor plans, pricing information and more details about how to arrange a sales appointment.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2004, 7:49 PM

I'd like to see them build a bit taller (not necessarily highrise) and denser.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2004, 9:28 PM
Amen...

Where will these be located exactly? I know there is space between the current condo/apartment buildings and the retail section. Is there also room between the current ones and Ikea?

Buck - I agree, and with the success they seemed to have had, I'm surprised they aren't building higher, even if only 6 or 8 floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta