HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:22 PM

This Signia Hilton is part of a surge in hotel construction. Metro Atlanta is second in the country (behind Dallas) for number of rooms built in 2023 - 140 projects and 17,775 rooms.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 7:04 PM

Opening dates are set.
"We’re currently accepting group reservations for special events and meetings from January 12, 2024. We look forward to welcoming all guests beginning January 15, 2024."

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Opening dates are set.
"We’re currently accepting group reservations for special events and meetings from January 12, 2024. We look forward to welcoming all guests beginning January 15, 2024."
Exciting news. This hotel is going to really improve the "backyard" with the reported 6 food and beverage concepts. Some of which, I assume are on the ground floor.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2023, 8:05 PM

^Yep, and I really hope this spurs some development to the west in Vine City (to include affordable housing). It's really a well-connected neighborhood both by transit and cycling paths. One block to the west of the new Signia looks like this, which is just a huge wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 11:08 AM

Peach Bowl

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 11:00 PM

Just saw that Signia opened today. Coincidentally I ran right past it this morning and started to take pic (didn't know it was just opening today yet). Even stopped for a couple of seconds and looked. It was just so cold I didn't won't to remove my gloves (get cold hands and may suffer a little Raynard's syndrome).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 1:46 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Just saw that Signia opened today. Coincidentally I ran right past it this morning and started to take pic (didn't know it was just opening today yet). Even stopped for a couple of seconds and looked. It was just so cold I didn't won't to remove my gloves (get cold hands and may suffer a little Raynard's syndrome).

Off topic so apologies all. Julien how long was that run? I was a runner in my younger years (lots of 3 to 5 milers, 27 Peachtree Road Races). Now I walk 3 to 5 a day.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Off topic so apologies all. Julien how long was that run? I was a runner in my younger years (lots of 3 to 5 milers, 27 Peachtree Road Races). Now I walk 3 to 5 a day.
8 Miles and I usually do two 8 Miles and one 6 Miles run each week. Moved to ATL in 03 and first Peachtree in 04 so I have 20 now (counting the virtual 2020).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 5:53 PM

More on the restaurants in the Signia Hilton:

Capolinea is the hotel’s signature restaurant featuring Italian fine dining. Menu highlights include regional and locally sourced antipasti, fresh handmade pasta, prime-cut steaks, nostalgic dishes from parmigiana to Bolognese, tableside martini service, and for a sweet ending, house-made seasonal gelato and sorbet.

Nest on Four is a modern sports bar created for true fans, with views of Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Situated in an upscale gastropub atmosphere with a halo board of TVs, this next-level bar experience offers reimagined stadium favorites alongside nine beers and three cocktails on tap.

Homespun is a Southern breakfast destination that celebrates Georgia's roots and farm-fresh flavors with a modern twist. Here, diners can expect some of the state's best culinary traditions with beautifully prepared and scrumptious dishes, from fried chicken biscuits to Creole tomato shakshuka.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 9:58 PM

Homespun sounds neat. I don't know about all of the parking associated with these new hotels and apartment complexes though. They are setting up an impossible situation here. What if there was some kind of emergency and people needed to leave quickly? Or more likely, the EMS or fire crew needed to get through?

Atlanta is getting bigger yes but there are responsibilities associated with that. We are trying to get big as fast as we can with whatever development we can, without planning for the city and metro long term.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 1:23 AM
Fourth and Main

I was in the home office (DFH distracted from home... uh WFH work from home ) when I heard someone on the TV downstairs talk about giving a tour of the newest hotel built in downtown Atlanta in decades. I will admit to running to see the story and thinking... didn't a Jimmy Buffett-themed hotel open around two years ago, not too far from this hotel? I think you can see both hotels if you stand across the street from State Farm Arena? Then I noticed the story wasn't really a tour of the hotel. It was Paul Milliken from Fox 5 and the Falcon's mascot touring "Nest on Four" and that was it. No real hotel tour. According to the story, the chef is Swedish and some of the menu items are influenced by this. I found the video from that morning and posted it below:

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/video/1393405

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 6:27 AM

They actually did have a segment showing one of the rooms further down in this article as well, if you're interested.

That view is amazing by the way!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:28 PM

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 8:32 PM

Just wasting some film.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Just wasting some film.

Is there a reason they don’t make this area more green? Is it the foot traffic? Nice tall tress would be nice. It provides shade and warmth to a hotel that’s aiming to provide hospitality.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Is there a reason they don’t make this area more green? Is it the foot traffic? Nice tall tress would be nice. It provides shade and warmth to a hotel that’s aiming to provide hospitality.
This is not the hotel but above it. It is the GA World Congress Center frontage and can have a tremendous amount of foot traffic. Tress are also limited to smaller ornament types since it is elevated above ground.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 6:59 PM

GWCC Explores developing The Home Depot Backyard

https://www.ajc.com/news/business/ho...JV24STUJFQ6DU/
Quote:
The property, which takes up most of the footprint of the former Georgia Dome, is being evaluated for potential mixed-use development by its owner, the Georgia World Congress Center Authority.

The GWCCA issued a request for qualifications April 1 to seek potential development partners, aiming to form a coalition of up to five firms. While project specifics are sparse, the authority said its vision for a redeveloped Home Depot Backyard includes 250,000 square feet of new development focused on entertainment and hospitality uses.

Companies that issue a submission are asked to provide conceptual designs, schematics or other construction-related site plans. No budget has been set for the project.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 11:32 PM

Another "entertainment district" would be overkill but I'm not sure what other type of development would be viable in that space.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Another "entertainment district" would be overkill but I'm not sure what other type of development would be viable in that space.
Residential. It's right next to two MARTA stations, and walkable to downtown and Castleberry Hill. GWCCA won't do it, but several apartment buildings here with ground flood retail would be amazing.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Residential. It's right next to two MARTA stations, and walkable to downtown and Castleberry Hill. GWCCA won't do it, but several apartment buildings here with ground flood retail would be amazing.
Yeah this is the common sense answer! Not sure it will prevail, though should be advocated for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta