HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 2:52 PM

Atlanta:WATER

With all thats going on right now, I believe this issue is important enough to have its own thread...

Last Friday, my folks (much to my dismay), used the water hose to spray the leaves off the sidewalk in front of their house... While I, on the other hand, have been trying all week long to curb my water use. Which got me thinking... what, if anything, are YOU doing about the current water crisis?

I've read from the news and other media outlets of people using rain barrels to water their gardens, switching to bottled water to drink, taking fewer or shorter baths/showers, and we've all heard the saying "if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down." (... well, everyone but my parents.)

What are WE going to do? I can't help but believe that by the time our government figures out a plan we'll all be high and dry without drop to drink. So, instead of asking what are "we" going to do (which is nothing soon), I wanted to ask what are YOU going to do, since no one is going to do it for you?

How are we ever going to keep our sidewalks clean?

Last edited by L.ARCH; Oct 16, 2007 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:14 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Well, lets say the entire city reduces its water use by 25%. That is only a 8.255% reduction in the water rate coming out of Lake Lanier. That translates to only about 8 more days of water if it doesn't rain. It is nice to think about conserving water, but what we really need to do is go and protest/raid the Core of Engineers.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
How are we ever going to keep our sidewalks clean?
Broom? Why would you use water to move leaves, would just make them stick all the more.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:46 PM

They should institute a mandatory "take a shower with a friend" day at least once a week. And if you don't have any friends, this might be a good way to try and make some.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:51 PM

We are on a well. The well we have does get low so we have had to:

1. Reduce showers to 2 minutes (amazing how clean you can get in that time if you try).
2. Wear our clothes two days in a row (except underwear and socks).
3. Use disposable plates and cups as often as possible to reduce dishwashing.
4. Wash dishes by hand (which regardless of what ANYONE says if done right will use phenominally less water than an electric dishwasher as we've done it both ways for years and years).
5. Use rainwater to water our goats, chickens, etc.
6. Set our toilet tank at half full which suprisingly works perfectly everytime so we will leave it there even after the drought.
7. We have a yard, not a lawn so we really don't do any outside watering other than our vegetable garden which is kaput for the year. I really don't care if my grass turns brown as it will only be less to mow until the rains come. (although it has rained about 1/2-1" two times in three weeks so the grass still is nice and green).
8. Don't look to the government to solve our problems.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:00 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Please stop this. Even if we stop using water completely. That is we stop taking showers, we stop using toilets, we stop using water to cook or drink, we stop washing hands and dishes, we let billions of dollars of landscaping and natural beauty to wither, we close down all of our commercial uses of water, halt all construction, and we stop consuming Coke from the Coke plant, the lake will still dry up. The mussels in Florida are receiving a lot more water than the region uses people. While we make all these sacrifices, the mussels can barely swim against the current of millions of gallons washing over them. If they can't tell there is a drought down river then something is definitely wrong. The lake was not built for Florida's use, it was built to sustain the city of Atlanta through this exact situation.

If the water allocation rules weren't so unyielding, we would have water for another year even if it didn't rain. That would still give the mussels the natural flow rate of water for the drought we are in. Don't start blaming yourself for this issue. I'm definitely not sharing a shower while mussels drown. My energy is better spent turning off the tap at the dam.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 4:30 PM

That giant sucking sound you hear is another example of our complete lack of leadership at the State level, and of course, I'm blaming Sonny Bubba.

He has been totally MIA on our transportation crisis (yes, crisis), then not a word about saving Grady - and now this. These boobs that run our State were warned about the water situation several years ago, to no avail. They have been hell-bent on paving over and building out North Georgia, and it would seem it is finally coming back to bite us in the ass.

Thanks Idiot Governor, Jesus-Save-Us Legislature and Corrupt & Evil building/paving lobby. You got your wish - we are now maxed out. Where to next?

Oh, and I can't forget a well deserved F**k You to the assholes at the Army Corp of Engineers - are you guys trying to kill off the 10th largest metro in the country, or does it just seem that way?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
That giant sucking sound you hear is another example of our complete lack of leadership at the State level, ...
I'm amazed that we can build big cities like Las Vegas, LA and Phoenix out in the desert yet we can't get any water here in the lush southern Piedmont, where lakes and streams are abundant.

Interesting chart on water usage in the Atlanta area. Most water is consumed by residential users, with relatively small percentages going to public, commercial and industrial purposes.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/cps/r...5_ENU_HTML.htm

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 5:48 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I'm amazed that we can build big cities like Las Vegas, LA and Phoenix out in the desert yet we can't get any water here in the lush southern Piedmont, where lakes and streams are abundant.

Interesting chart on water usage in the Atlanta area. Most water is consumed by residential users, with relatively small percentages going to public, commercial and industrial purposes.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/cps/r...5_ENU_HTML.htm

Well not that much. Only 53%. Considering that 90% or more of homes are single family, that statistic is not really far-fetched or abnormal. Oh and Atlantaguy, I believe they are trying to kill the 9th largest metro, not the 10th.

For anyone who is interested, here is the discussion on a forum with view from people from other cities: http://www.curevents.com/vb/showthre...threadid=82697

Most of the views are centered around a let 'em die of thirst solution to our problem. That'll be fun.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
Please stop this. Even if we stop using water completely. That is we stop taking showers, we stop using toilets, we stop using water to cook or drink, we stop washing hands and dishes, we let billions of dollars of landscaping and natural beauty to wither, we close down all of our commercial uses of water, halt all construction, and we stop consuming Coke from the Coke plant, the lake will still dry up. The mussels in Florida are receiving a lot more water than the region uses people. While we make all these sacrifices, the mussels can barely swim against the current of millions of gallons washing over them. If they can't tell there is a drought down river then something is definitely wrong. The lake was not built for Florida's use, it was built to sustain the city of Atlanta through this exact situation.

If the water allocation rules weren't so unyielding, we would have water for another year even if it didn't rain. That would still give the mussels the natural flow rate of water for the drought we are in. Don't start blaming yourself for this issue. I'm definitely not sharing a shower while mussels drown. My energy is better spent turning off the tap at the dam.
dante don't you think that is a bit shortsighted blaming Florida & it's mussels downstream for the lack of water at Lake Lanier? Is your state government spineless to stop the flow towards Florida in a crisis such as this? I also have to agree with Atlantaguy on his point regarding the paving over of northern
Georgia/metro Atlanta. Low density sprawl is one of the downsides to in situations like this. Have you guys not learned from your neighbor to the south?!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 6:08 PM

bob - It would appear the State is powerless to override the Army Corp on this. On Friday, Sonny-Bubba threatened to sue them by this week if they didn't stop the releases from Lake Lanier. Their response was that they intend to increase the outflow from the lake. What is really pissing us off more than the mussels in the Apalachicola River is the fact that Alabama is receiving 1/2 of the water released - BUT THEY HAVE NO WATERING RESTRICTIONS over there!!!!!!!!!!

Just last year the Corp mistakenly released over a billion gallons in one day - oops!

On the local news last night they showed a family from West Central Georgia whose private lake had been completely emptied by the Corp just over the weekend. It sounds insane, but I think there may be some sort of bizarre agenda going on at the Corp - but why?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Well not that much. Only 53%. Considering that 90% or more of homes are single family, that statistic is not really far-fetched or abnormal.
Well, I get 55%, but either way I don't think that's abnormal at all. I will have to admit, however, that I would not have guessed that industrial, commercial and public combined only account for about 1/4 of water use.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 6:09 PM
Novice RealEstate Magnate

Quote:
Please stop this. Even if we stop using water completely.
Water conservation is most definitely a part of the long term water solution, you have to look beyond the current crisis to future-proof the system, beginning by reducing water consumption by any means responsibly necessary.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 6:17 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
dante don't you think that is a bit shortsighted blaming Florida & it's mussels downstream for the lack of water at Lake Lanier? Is your state government spineless to stop the flow towards Florida in a crisis such as this? I also have to agree with Atlantaguy on his point regarding the paving over of northern
Georgia/metro Atlanta. Low density sprawl is one of the downsides to in situations like this. Have you guys not learned from your neighbor to the south?!
I'm sorry. We should take notes from the people who sit on the largest source of fresh water in the continental United States about water conservation. You realize that our drought and the mussels taking 35 times as much water away from us as we collect from rain has nothing to do with sprawl? In fact, we are dense enough when it comes down to water use thank you. The problem isn't our growth or our single family homes, it is the Army Corp of Engineers. We built the lake for this and they drained it for mussels.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 6:18 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoDean View Post
Water conservation is most definitely a part of the long term water solution, you have to look beyond the current crisis to future-proof the system, beginning by reducing water consumption by any means responsibly necessary.
It isn't as if we don't conserve water every time we are told to. I think the long term solution is a new source of water. If our city keeps growing by a million each decade, we really can't expect that any amount of conservation would solve the problem.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 6:24 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Water may be more limited
Georgia considering options almost unheard of for metro areas. Environmental director must send Perdue choices within two weeks.

By MATT KEMPNER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/15/07

If Georgia orders watering restrictions in metro Atlanta beyond the current outdoor ban, it will be taking drought-fighting steps that not even arid Southern California or Las Vegas has had to make.

As the state considers restrictions on commercial and industrial users, water experts around the nation say they don't recall any major U.S. metro area being forced into such dire drought measures in about two decades.

"Most large metropolitan areas have systems in place where they try to be better managers of the resource than that," said Don Wilhite, who founded the National Drought Mitigation Center at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and has been involved in drought responses for at least three decades.

Within two weeks, Georgia Environmental Protection Division director Carol Couch is expected to send Gov. Sonny Perdue options to tighten water restrictions.

Couch has authority to limit water use as necessary with as little as five days' notice.

State law says, "In the event of a dire emergency, only water for domestic and personal uses, for drinking, cooking, washing, sanitary purposes and all health related activities will be permitted. Farm uses will be given second priority; however, all other usages will be established by the Director."

State regulations recommend how water users should be ranked in drought contingency plans. The first use to be cut is outdoor recreation; the second is uses such as watering lawns and gardens and the noncommercial washing of cars. Most of those were eliminated under Couch's Sept. 28 order for metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

The next category to be restricted is commercial and industrial use, followed by farming, and then personal uses.

The last to be restricted would be emergency facilities for essential life support.

Couch's staff continues to work on the details of what might be proposed to the governor. The report is expected to include an analysis of potential water savings as well as the economic cost of restrictions.

However, there's little experience in how to impose limits beyond an outdoor watering ban.

A number of small towns have made such moves. But conservation experts and water system officials across the country — from Massachusetts to San Francisco and Santa Fe, N.M., to southern Florida — say they can't recall a major metropolitan area in nation doing so.

However, in 1985, New York City ordered businesses to cut water use by 25 percent and limited the hours offices could run air conditioning.

But such steps are rare.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, southern California shriveled in a deep drought. Watering outdoors was limited to certain days, and restaurants were encouraged to only serve patrons water on request, said Jeff Kightlinger, the general manager of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, which provides water to systems that serve 18 million people.

Lots of money was spent on radio and TV ads to encourage water conservation. One that particularly got attention was a call for limited toilet flushing: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

"It became kind of patriotic to let your lawn dry up," said Kightlinger, who was in college at the time. "People banded together."

But he said the area never ordered limits beyond outdoor water restrictions. Neither did the Denver area, even during a brutal drought from 2002 to 2004, said Trina McGuire-Collier, a spokeswoman for Denver Water.

Denver gets about a third as much annual precipitation as metro Atlanta. That the Georgia city might be contemplating stiffer water restrictions "is amazing," McGuire-Collier said. "Of all places, you think you get a lot of precipitation."

Even the outdoor watering ban already in place in north Georgia is relatively uncommon for major U.S. cities, though Charlotte has put such limits in place this year.

But water watchers such as Wilhite, the University of Nebraska drought expert who is sometimes referred to as "Dr. Drought," predict that more big metro areas in the East will face predicaments like Atlanta's.

"The Eastern states are more vulnerable than the West," Wilhite said. The West learned long ago that they needed large backup supplies, such as giant reservoirs, he said. But in the East, long-term droughts are less common and "there's less emphasis on water conservation. They can get themselves into a situation more quickly.

"Coupled with population growth, a severe drought over a year or two or longer creates problems they've never had to deal with before," Wilhite said.

Amy Vickers, a water conservation consultant and author based in Amherst, Mass., said outdoor watering has increased dramatically in the last decade, drawing down water supplies more quickly and leaving government with less time to respond to a drought.

"We need to act sooner in imposing these more restrictive measures," Vickers said, "because we may not have as much time as we had in the past to rebound."

In Georgia, after the summer's peak watering days, the state ordered the outdoor watering ban. It came about a week after the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers predicted Lake Lanier would hit a historic low by year's end.

EPD officials said the state moved toward a ban as soon as the magnitude of the problems became more clear.

"We're running as fast as we can to put in responsible plans," Couch said.

Metro Atlanta is in an unfamiliar position. But some small communities have been there before.

In central North Carolina, drought has drained much of the reservoir for Siler City, a community of 8,000. Last week, officials ordered all water users — from homeowners to industries — to cut water use by 50 percent.

"We're asking them to do whatever it takes," town manager Joel Brower said.

Violators can be fined or, ultimately, have their water cut off.

Siler City utilities workers are checking some business' water meters every week, but there isn't enough staff to do the same at homes, Brower said. Schools and restaurants serve food on paper plates to cut down on dish washing. Local poultry plants have dropped one day a week of production, and they're paying for dozens of tanker trucks a day to haul water to the town's reservoir.

In metro Atlanta, several businesses say they don't know what the state may force them to do.

With 1,260 guest rooms, the Hyatt Regency Atlanta uses tens of millions of gallons of water a year. But Randy Childers, the hotel's senior director of engineering, said many conservation measures are already in place. The hotel outsources its laundry to a facility outside metro Atlanta, guests are requested to hang up their towels if they don't need to be laundered, rooms have low-flow fixtures, the cooling system optimizes water use and, since the drought deepened, irrigation of plants has been done with condensation from the cooling system. The hotel now puts fewer water pitchers in meeting rooms, he said.

"In some ways, we feel like we have done as much as we can do, but there may be things we can do that we just haven't thought of," he said.

Some local governments in Georgia are working up their own plans.

Officials in Athens-Clarke County are considering how to cut 30 percent of their water use. Among the considerations is restricting water use according to type, such as residential, business or various types of industry.

In Douglas County, the local water authority director said industries could be forced to reduce water use, perhaps by changing operations or temporarily shifting work to other facilities.

Pete Frost said another possibility is routing the treated flows from sewage plants into the authority's drinking water reservoir. That would require state approval in addition to facing public relations challenges, he said.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/me...age_tab_newstab

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 6:51 PM

I think it's scary all we can do is threaten to sue the Corps when WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF WATER TO DRINK. Its a proven fact, lawsuits take FOREVER. Any chance the State (whoever they may be) could take back our lake by force? If not... is anyone of you up for it?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 7:07 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Hell yeah. Actually, if you want to stage a protest, I'm up for it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 7:22 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
5. Use rainwater to water our goats, chickens, etc.
Words that I never thought I would read on SSP!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 8:55 PM

If I could, I would take buckets of water from Houston's recent floods, and bring it to Atlanta.

One of the best things you all can do is start buying bottles of water and drink off of that. If you really want some koolaid, or lemonade, you can buy little packs in the store that you can sprinkle into your water. Take short (but clean) baths. Also, don't try to cheat the rules, as it only hurts the water situation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta