HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 9:12 PM

Yes it definitely was a godsend. With the revitalization we're experiencing this is a crucial area that could carry the urban fabric from Downtown over to Midtown cutting around the connector. Does anyone have some sort of article about Little Cambodia's transformation? Wasn't it the 1st project in the entire USA?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 9:13 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
Nice find, Dave! Is arcade an architectural term?
Yes. If I'm not mistaken, an arcade is a covered walkway.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2006, 9:17 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing the 'arcade' in the site plan refers to some kind of public passageway between the sidewalk and the internal hotel drop-off.

Also, I agree that Centennial Place needs to go completely -- I don't see why we can't extend Allen Plaza-type urbanism all the way up to North Avenue. There aren't even any NIMBY's in the immediate area to oppose true urbanity there, since most of the neighbors are institutional uses -- we need to make the most of those opportunities where they exist

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 12:03 AM
Peace and Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem
I could not disagree more. Centennial Place needs to be completely torn down. There shouldn't be a place for suburban gated apartments in the middle of the city. Also, things should not be built to fit those aparments scale. We've got the propsed Luckie St tower which will be 500 Ft, The Coke complex, The Roosevelt House, and the GSU villages in the area. I don't know the logistics of rezoning section 8 land but something REALLY needs to take the place of all the wasted space used up by those apartments. A one story single use building [the preschool] shouldn't be catered to. Something like that can be incorporated into a new mixed use development. I agree 100% with more evening use, but it seems like no one really wants to take the reigns in that industry anywhere in the city. We could really use about 10 more late night eateries. Your thoughts?
My thoughts are that we have to deal with reality rather than what we wish was the case. The reality is that Centennial Place is relatively new and it is very unlikely that they would be torn down so early in their lifespan. That doesn't even get into the political realities of removing subsidized housing. I guarantee that the race card will be played if anyone tries to remove Centennial Place and the play of that card will be successful. Atlanta takes enough heat as it is for using Hope VI to tear down old housing projects and replace them with mixed income developments with much few units. It doesn't matter what any of our opinions are about subsidized government housing, the politicial climate is such that if you work for AHA try to replace that housing with high price condos, you will be looking for a new job. It's already a very sensitive issue that is ready to explode. Gentrification in the private sector is only throwing more fuel on the fire but because that's private, not that much heat can be pushed in that direction. As a result, the government programs get over attention. Perhaps in a couple of decades things will be different and financial investment into Centennial Place will have recovered enough to make redevelopment possible, but that's not now by a long stretch.

I do totally agree that it would be best for the city if the high density development that is happening in Downtown and Midtown was allowed to expand onto that land. Simple fact is no matter how valuable that land becomes, as long as there is a significant low income voting block in the city, any attempt to remove Centennial Place is going to be perceived as an attack on that voting block and the politicians will fall all over themselves to be the savior of Centennial Place and the common man who is being attacked and pushed out by those rich yuppies. Once again, the racial issue will come up as part of that no matter what is the actual racial make up of Centennial Place.

With the reality that Centennial Place is here to stay no matter what we think of it, it is wrong to try to smother it into oblivion by dwarfing it with towers of a totally different scale.

If you want to be outraged by something in the neighborhood, you should focus it on Centennial Park North, which has an acceptable (but not great) face along Centennial Olympic Park Drive but the bulk of the development is behind gates and along twisty private streets that could have provided connectivity between Luckie Street and Centennial Olympic Park Drive. The construction on that is just now finishing up so if it is a sign of what we can expect for intown development, we're in trouble.

I don't know why you used World of Coke as an example since its height would be a perfect step down from the new Post Allen Plaza and bridge the gap between Allen Plaza and Centennial Place. I'm certainly not argueing that the lot should have two or three story buildings. I'm saying that it should be a midrise that transitions from the highrises to the scale of Centennial Place. Even the GSU dorms make a decent transition towards Centennial Place. It's not like they're forty stories and the parking deck that sits between them, while still not the ideal structure to have next to any house, it not that tall. Six to eight stories is probably the maximum that can be resonably be expected to successfully transition.

The eateries will come. The French Brasserie opens early next year, as does the Luckie Food Lounge. Certainly if Centennial Place was a dense grid of mixed uses with a high residential and worker density that would attract more service businesses and on a faster pace but since Centennial Place is not going anywhere, any influence brought to bear on planning in the area needs to keep that reality in mind.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 12:13 AM
Peace and Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider
There aren't even any NIMBY's in the immediate area to oppose true urbanity there, since most of the neighbors are institutional uses -- we need to make the most of those opportunities where they exist
I think you vastly underestimate the pressure that the residents of Centennial Place could bring to bear. It wouldn't just be the people who live there, it would be people from the outside who think they're being pushed around. In the old guard African-American community there is still a lot of bitterness about what is seen as the destruction of the Techwood neighborhood (and make no mistake, they considered it a neighborhood, not a housing project). Thoughout most of Atlanta's history race and income have been very tightly linked. Just mention Buttermilk Bottom sometime at the Atlanta Transit Riders’ Union meeting and see if there aren't strong opinions on it. Atlanta has a long history of tearing down "undesirable" neighborhoods and as a result, the issue is highly sensitive. Even if the actual desire is to increase density and the urbanity of Downtown, it would not be perceived that way. So not only would you have a huge NIMBY battle on your hands but also a NITBY (Not in Their Back Yard) support army that would scare off just about any politician.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 12:21 AM
Peace and Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by martarider
Found some goodies...
Thanks for digging those up. It will definately block my view of the park and even of the one attractive side of the World of Coke. It might not have been so bad if they had switched the location of the tower and the pool deck and I'd have a view of cuties sunbathing.

Despite that, I'm pretty happy with what they have planned. It is much better than what I had expected and a zillion times better than that silly fish shaped building idea that had been floated right after the aquarium was announced.

Glad the plans have been finally released. I had been thinking about installing a solar water heating and radiant heating system since I'm on the top floor and could easily access the roof. Since the solar panels need a southern exposure, that's pretty much out. Heck, it might even block our ability to access DirecTv (though I switched to Comcast so I don't care about that). It would have been horrible if I invested all the money in such a system and then it became lessened in value due to being blocked a large portion of the day.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 12:45 AM

^^ I didn't mean to suggest that Centennial Place residents had to go -- the existing community could easily be incorporated into a newer, higher-quality product. And assuming it is built to a much higher density than what is there now, there would be plenty of room for new residents, not to mention non-residential uses, as well.

In any case, even if no one pushes redevelopment right away, CP is built to such cheap standards that the issue will be forced eventually. Those buildings can't have a lifespan of more than a couple decades.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 12:56 AM
Peace and Pizza

Unfortunately, it would be perceived as trying to get rid of the residents.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 1:19 AM

Wow! Allen Plaza just keeps getting better. The whole site seems so well thought out. Thanks for posting these.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubieTurtle
The eateries will come. The French Brasserie opens early next year, as does the Luckie Food Lounge.
And don't forget "Charm" - I'm so excited about a gelateria downtown. Now all we need is a decent bakery and I might have to reconsider long-term plans to move back north.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 1:58 AM

Is there any word on the brand for the hotel in this project?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 2:28 AM
Peace and Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus
And don't forget "Charm" - I'm so excited about a gelateria downtown. Now all we need is a decent bakery and I might have to reconsider long-term plans to move back north.
I think of Charm as being part of the Luckie Food Lounge... plus I wanted to avoid putting Luckie and Charm together because then I'd have to add on "It's magically delicious". Having a place to get gelato is a nice surprise. It will be interesting to see how the retail in the neighborhood develops and who they think is their target market.

A resident here noticed that the plans posted show West Peachtree Place as staying a one way street. We've been told many times by the city that it would be turned into a two way street. Do you know if there has been a change in those plans and if there has, how they can be protested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone
Is there any word on the brand for the hotel in this project?
I hear it is going to be Motel 6.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 2:38 AM

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 6:44 AM

Quote:
With the reality that Centennial Place is here to stay no matter what we think of it, it is wrong to try to smother it into oblivion by dwarfing it with towers of a totally different scale.
Why is it set in stone? Those units could be replaced or even given a higher percentage of low income housing to appease all parties. The value of that land would be greater to a developer building several high rises than the total costs of that aparment project. The property taxes from the added density could fund all kinds of projects for the neighborhood, hopefully some streetscape improvements for Ivan Allen's nice concrete median.

Quote:
If you want to be outraged by something in the neighborhood, you should focus it on Centennial Park North, which has an acceptable (but not great) face along Centennial Olympic Park Drive but the bulk of the development is behind gates and along twisty private streets that could have provided connectivity between Luckie Street and Centennial Olympic Park Drive. The construction on that is just now finishing up so if it is a sign of what we can expect for intown development, we're in trouble.
I am more displeased with that development. I don't think the presence is acceptable at all. That belongs in Marietta, not on COP Dr. It is completely infeasible to redevelop that land. I'd love to protest the second phase, but it's not like we're swimming in a sea of people dying for density in Atlanta. I would have love to have seen midrises blocked out on that parcel than those townhomes.

Quote:
I don't know why you used World of Coke as an example since its height would be a perfect step down from the new Post Allen Plaza and bridge the gap between Allen Plaza and Centennial Place. I'm certainly not argueing that the lot should have two or three story buildings. I'm saying that it should be a midrise that transitions from the highrises to the scale of Centennial Place. Even the GSU dorms make a decent transition towards Centennial Place. It's not like they're forty stories and the parking deck that sits between them, while still not the ideal structure to have next to any house, it not that tall. Six to eight stories is probably the maximum that can be resonably be expected to successfully transition.
I wasn't referencing the WOC, I meant the Coke tower which is 400 feet. Taller buildings would definitely fit the scale in between there and BOA. Luckie St has lots of potential for redevelopment with all of the surface lots. All of that momentum could be carried East into our main arteries.

Quote:
The eateries will come. The French Brasserie opens early next year, as does the Luckie Food Lounge. Certainly if Centennial Place was a dense grid of mixed uses with a high residential and worker density that would attract more service businesses and on a faster pace but since Centennial Place is not going anywhere, any influence brought to bear on planning in the area needs to keep that reality in mind.
I meant generally around the city, not CP specific. Landmark, Majestic, R Thomas, Slice, Fellini's.. there aren't many options for food past 12pm. I agree that things will come once the density is raised. Everything I didn't quote I agree'd with as well.

Integral's development would fit the scale of the apartments and mission's but wouldn't fit in with Allen Plaza and the CP developments going up around the Aquarium. Which scale do we choose to build to suit? We have to wait out the lifespans of whatever developments come online in the immediate future before we can redevelop. I'd rather build out for the future than cut ourselves short.

Somewhat offtopic but I'd like to see a cultural sector of the city a la Korea town, Little Italy etc, with an urban environment instead of Buford Highway which has become our international district.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
A resident here noticed that the plans posted show West Peachtree Place as staying a one way street. We've been told many times by the city that it would be turned into a two way street. Do you know if there has been a change in those plans and if there has, how they can be protested?
Plans call for making it two-way, unfortunately there is no money to set up the light signals for two-way or restripe the street. All of the remaining Westside TAD money for public use was spent on the Gateway Center. So until the TAD grows with more projects, there won't be any money for it or other streetscapes.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 1:32 PM

Great information here, does anyone know when/if Barry et al will update their web site? It is not the best I have seen, especially considering the size and gravity of the project.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus
Drove by today and there is a sign for a Au Bon Pain next door to the french one.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 3:40 PM
Peace and Pizza

Yes, I'm happy to see Au Bon Pain coming too but since it isn't a high end type of place, it gets overlooked. I can see myself going there for a sandwich much more often than eating at FAB but FAB and Luckie/Charm will get all the attention.

The trick for residents is going to be encouraging a mix of neighborhood retail in with the destination retail. No one goes ten miles out of their way to eat at a Au Bon Pain, but it fills a definate need in the neighborhood and for casual food for the office workers. FAB on the other hand will definately pull in from all over the metro. One of the difficulties with living downtown has been that so much of what's there is focused on the expense account convention business. As more residents move in, hopefully there is more attention paid to that segment of the market.

I'm not totally sure about what type of business Charm will do. It sounds like it has somewhat of a neighborhood focus but at the same time, I don't think there are enough people in the neighborhood who are going to buy gelato everyday so they're going to need to appeal to the tourists too.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 4:07 PM

Someone earlier asked about the branding of the hotel in the Post Allen Plaza development. I am going to take wagers on:

1. LeMeridian-Starwood has been very good to Barry.
2. Crown Plaza- they want a downtown project real bad.
3. Park Hyatt- my fave but is the ATL ready for them?

Anyone have any others?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 4:32 PM
Peace and Pizza

Ever since I saw "Lost in Translation" I've had quite the lust for the Park Hyatt Tokyo. It would be nice to have something similar here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta