HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 1:39 PM

Atlanta Project Thread 2006 II

The last thread was archived have far exceeded the 2000 post limit.

Duke, Pope & Land Going Spec on Buckhead Office

August 31, 2006
Written by Bailey Webb
CoStar Group

Duke Realty Corp. (NYSE: DRE) and Pope & Land Enterprises -- as well as Novare Group and Post Properties (NYSE: PPS) -- have a schedule to keep for the 3630 Peachtree Road mixed-use development, and they’re not going to let matters such as preleasing get in the way.

Construction is planned to start on the twin-tower office/condo/retail/apartment development in late September or early October. 3630’s 39-story South Tower will include 442,000 square feet of Class A office space as well as 84 Post condominiums in its upper reaches. Novare will develop the property’s 29-story North Tower, which will have 200 condominiums averaging approximately 1,700 square feet and deliver two months after the office space.

Of course, Duke and Pope & Land and the residential development partners have a 28-month schedule, and developers throughout Atlanta are banking on a big 2008 and 2009 leasing cycle, as tenants who leased large blocks of office space during the late 1990s development boom re-evaluate their office needs. Developers also are banking on continued organic, white-collar job growth for Buckhead, especially in financial services.

On the flip side, Duke and Pope & Land will compete with Cousins Properties’ (NYSE: CUZ) 450,000-square-foot Terminus 200 office building, which is slated to break ground next spring, and Regent Partners’ 491,000-square-foot 3344 Peachtree building, which is under construction and has no preleasing to date, according to CoStar information. Cousins’ Terminus 100, a 27-story, 581,874-square-foot Class A tower, is slated to deliver in April 2007 and is 65% pre-committed, according to Cousins.

“(Buckhead’s) probably the strongest office market in the city right now,” said Larry Kelly, president of Pope & Land. “It’s an extremely active market now for tenants looking at ’08 and ’09.”

Buckhead closed the first half of the year with 14.1% vacancy (15.4% for Class A space) and approximately 55,000 square feet of negative net absorption, according to CoStar information. While Buckhead net absorption has been flat or negative since the first quarter of 2005, quoted rates have increased from $23.61 to $24.79 across all classes of space, with asking rents for Class A office space at $25.74 at mid-2006. The submarket currently has about 1.3 million square feet of office space under construction, which includes Terminus 100 and Regent’s new building.

Outside of timing, Duke and Pope & Land’s spec move raises other questions. Why would a publicly traded developer/owner start a speculative office development in Atlanta immediately after two of the biggest publicly traded office owners, Equity Office Properties Trust (NYSE: EOP) and Trizec Properties (NYSE: TRZ), announce plans to leave town? How will Duke fare in its first foray into inside-the-perimeter office development? Duke executives referred all media calls to Pope & Land, so we never had the chance to ask them directly.

With Trizec, Blackstone Group acquired its Atlanta portfolio and then flipped it to New York-based Tishman Speyer, a global giant in commercial real estate. The deal, reportedly valued at $675 million or $200 per square foot, includes Trizec’s 3.5 million-square-foot Atlanta holdings and the site for the proposed Two Alliance Center in Buckhead.

EOP also wants to take advantage of a hot office sales market -- the company wants to sell $3 to $3.5 billion of its assets across the U.S. by the end of 2007 -- and took a beating with its woes at 191 Peachtree St., which is currently under contract to Cousins for $127 per square foot. That said, no one expects the remainder of the EOP portfolio to linger on the market, and it should draw intense interest from institutional investors, Kelly said.

As for Duke, REIT analysts generally gave positive feedback on the Buckhead mixed-use partnership.

Wachovia Securities’ Christopher Haley noted the positive momentum and outlook for mixed-use development, a quality site and an attractive land basis (Pope & Land has owned the land for 20 years). Greenstreet Advisors’ Jim Sullivan called it a “somewhat odd” deal for Duke given its lack of urban/CBD development experience in the market -- Duke has extensive urban office development experience in Indianapolis and Cincinnati -- but applauded the company’s partnership with a talented local developer like Pope & Land and Duke’s overall capital-allocation decision making.

“Cousins' leaseup at Terminus is encouraging, and the number of buildings changing owners may shake out some tenants for Duke,” Sullivan said. “While the project carries some sizable risk, the potential rewards may make it worth pursuing.”

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone
The last thread was archived have far exceeded the 2000 post limit.

[Construction is planned to start on the twin-tower office/condo/retail/apartment development in late September or early October. 3630’s 39-story South Tower will include 442,000 square feet of Class A office space as well as 84 Post condominiums in its upper reaches. Novare will develop the property’s 29-story North Tower, which will have 200 condominiums averaging approximately 1,700 square feet and deliver two months after the office space.
I didn't realize that one of the towers was going to be 39 stories...nice! I hope the layout is arranged to feel urban and not like an office park...like the King & Queen buildings.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 3:05 PM

I really like the placement of that project.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 4:35 PM

I would say that's in Brookhaven. I dont think anything north of Wieuca/Roxboro rd is still Buckhead to me.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 4:54 PM

Yeah, but the property starts at Wieuca and stretches to Peachtree-Dunwoody. To me, Brookhaven starts a couple of blocks to the north.

This is Andrea's immediate hood - let's ask her if she considers this corner Buckhead or Brookhaven. Hey, Andrea!

I was sitting in traffic over there the other day, and got my first good look at the large rendering on the sign they have. I think the buildings are beautiful - very modern, but understated.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 5:34 PM

Good vent in the paper today.

“Pluto is not a planet for the same reason a suburb is not a city. It’s too far out and lacks sufficient atmosphere.”

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy
Yeah, but the property starts at Wieuca and stretches to Peachtree-Dunwoody. To me, Brookhaven starts a couple of blocks to the north.

This is Andrea's immediate hood - let's ask her if she considers this corner Buckhead or Brookhaven. Hey, Andrea!

I was sitting in traffic over there the other day, and got my first good look at the large rendering on the sign they have. I think the buildings are beautiful - very modern, but understated.
LOL, hey!!! Yes, I tend to think of Brookhaven as starting at Peachtree Dunwoody Road. That's also how the City defines it:

http://www.atlantaga.gov/client_reso...maps/npu_b.pdf

So yes, the corner in question would be Buckhead rather than Brookhaven, although just barely.

Last edited by Andrea; Aug 31, 2006 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 1:14 AM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 1:57 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy
Any chance you took a picture? If not, please do.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 7:03 AM
Urban Explorer

There was one posted a while back in either this thread or the Atlanta Construction Thread - it may take some digging but you can find it.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 8:27 AM

3630 Peachtree

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 12:43 PM

Though this is the same rendering, when you drive up there besides the renderings, it looks much better than this does. It is more detailed and I don't think a camera could capture the redering any better. I think this would be great at the corner of 10th and peachtree, or at the corner of piedmont and peachtree where The Container Store is located. This will be Novare's most modern high rise condo built. Too bad its not in the heart of Buckhead, though from certain viewpoints it will look like it, or Midtown, cause it would've been a great addition here also.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 1:42 PM

I just walked by an ABC box on which the cover said that Councilperson Norwood is going to try and pass an ordinace preventing towers from blocking views from other residential or office towers.

What a bunch of anti-urban BS!

I strongly encourage anyone who values density to oppose this paper in writing when it is introduced (assuming you are a city resident).

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 1:47 PM

I 2nd that thought. This woman is a little warped in her thinking and is basically anti-American to propose such laws if you ask me...an hey if someone thinks this is political oh well. It's about the development of highrises in the city and making Atlanta a true URBAN city for walking. Her own neighborhood regularly votes or opposes her ideas. My thoughts are she doesn't need to be reelected.

Hello, what's the whole concept behind urban living. Has she never been to NYC or Chicago?

Carla Smith is head of the zoning and land use committee in the city council. I'm assuming that is where this piece of legislation will begin, so I'd encourage people to email her at csmith@atlantaga.gov no matter what your oppinion is on the issue.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Sep 1, 2006 at 2:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser

Hello, what's the whole concept behind urban living. Has she never been to NYC or Chicago?
In her article she says, "I don't want Atlanta to be like New York." To that, I tell her I agree for 90% of the City, byt the 10% urban core NEEDS to be like that or people desiring true urbanism will leave for places that offer it.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus
In her article she says, "I don't want Atlanta to be like New York." To that, I tell her I agree for 90% of the City, byt the 10% urban core NEEDS to be like that or people desiring true urbanism will leave for places that offer it.
I read the entire article and just wanted scream. Its a ridiculous idea.

Btw, Does anyone know if the old bank building will be preserved at 1010 Midtown. They seem to have it roped off as though its staying.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:25 PM

For a developer to purchase land which is continually increasing in value with each new unit/highrise built, the only option is to continue to push higher and grander....what isn't more basic than that.....hello, what about Vancouver? Probably the greatest walking city in North America. I'd say 95% of people there don't purchase for views they purchase for the lifestyle involved in living in Vancouver's urban core since most of the buildings are very similar in height.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Sep 1, 2006 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus
I just walked by an ABC box on which the cover said that Councilperson Norwood is going to try and pass an ordinace preventing towers from blocking views from other residential or office towers.

What a bunch of anti-urban BS!

I strongly encourage anyone who values density to oppose this paper in writing when it is introduced (assuming you are a city resident).

How would you even legislate that?

A person on the 2nd floor is going to get his view blocked by pretty much anything. A person on the 50th floor wouldn never have to worry (that's one reason you pay a height premium).

Also, what % of view. 25%, 50%, 100%.

Sound to me like condo owners just crying sour grapes over buying new condos and then getting upset when they lose it (DIMVies as opposed to Nimbies) (Don't Impede My View).

That's just people not being savy buyers. The only way to guarantee a lasting view is buying near a park or some piece of land that's totally locked up or undevelopable.

People are obviously upset that they're losing value, and looking someone else to blame.

ALSO: I think this begs the question - Is this being driven by REAL residents, or non-resident big block investors?

Last edited by Chris Creech; Sep 1, 2006 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:27 PM

As people have said about 12 AS and The Atlantic. When you purchase in an urban core, you never know what's going to rise beside you. God....i'm just speechless for one of the first times ever for those that know me believe it or not.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 2:32 PM

Honestly, I don't think it's the condo owners at all. It's crazy Norwood trying to be the people's rep again. She's pushing to run for Mayor after Shirly and I think she's just trying to appear like a 'normal average' citizen concerned about 'their issues'...WHICH SHE IS FAR FROM THAT if you know her.

The majority of my friends now live in condos in midtown and buckhead and none of them have ever expressed concerns about blocked views (they joke about it lots of times but all of them love that more and more highrises are going up) or their neighbors that i've met....that was the life they choose when they purchased a unit. As you said it's the decision you make to go higher in a building for more money or attempt to purchase in a location that shouldn't ever have a blocked view as far as your time frame of purchase/living there is concerned.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta