HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
If Minny can play outdoors MTL can as well. The first couple weeks will be rough but they play football and soccer in the middle of winter.

The Jays played for over a decade in an outdoor stadium.

A retractable roof stadium is over kill and not needed. A nice open air stadium is what's needed. Retractable roof stadiums kill the baseball atmpospehere.

Just for reference, Toronto is 43 degrees north, Minny 44 and MTL 45.

Keep in mind Minny is much further inland and has a climate similar to saskatewan/manitoba.
If Montreal built a stadium for MLB, outdoors should be fine. Would be cold for April games , but most of May to mid-September should be fine.

I think Montreal would be the coldest city though for MLB with an outdoor stadium. Minneapolis is warmer than many think it is. Their average high temperatures are 2 degrees celsius warmer than Montreal year-round.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:12 PM
Regina 4 Life

Video recapping today's stadium construction update.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/YGaqLh5QmTA

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Video recapping today's stadium construction update.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/YGaqLh5QmTA
Great post Migs! Very impressive progress being made here!

Old Posted Today, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe the Expos were never ever absent from French language TV and radio. If they were it was not for very long. No more than a single season.
Yeah, when I said they weren't on radio, I was referring to English radio. Near the end, their games were exclusively broadcast on French-language radio only...and for free to boot! So, while I don't mean to offensive, that's pretty much completely off the radar for the Canadian sports/ baseball fan. Thus the confusion about when they actually left Montreal.

Stadium
Could Montreal manage with an outdoor baseball stadium? Sure, they did it before. But I've read accounts of how absolutely frigid Jarry Park was in April in the old days. On several occasions they had to shovel snow off the field in order to get the game in. Naturally, the field was in terrible condition and cancellations were routine. It's not like football or soccer where you can just get on with it. Baseball's a different game.

And yes, Exhibition Stadium was also brutal in April. Nobody wants to see a return of winter baseball. And, just for the record, Minneapolis is no better either. Single digits and snow are fairly typical there, too. Target Field is a beautiful stadium but it should have a roof. Wrigley Field is also a miserable place to watch baseball the first month of the season but nobody would ever suggest a new park there for obvious reasons.

There are several examples of cold-weather cities with outdoor baseball stadiums but that don't make it right. Perhaps a Montrealer could weigh in on the issue of playing baseball outdoors in April.

Old Posted Today, 1:18 AM

Update !

That thing is so huge, he's visible from everywhere in town !

https://www.facebook.com/constructio...ee?pnref=story

Old Posted Today, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Well then that begs the question. If they can still play in the stadium why are they playing 7 games in a row to begin with?

I can assure you after 8 seasons there won't be as high a demand and they'll still be able to accomadate 15 000. (eastside currently seats 7000.. 22 000- 7000= 15 000)

I was under the impression that they are winterizing the entire stadium as well as building a concourse around the South End. Thus construction all over the stadium. As well as a new scoreboard in the North End.

All the above part of phase one renos.
Even with a crappy team they still averaged 22,000 fans. You are understating how many people show up to TFC games. TFC brought in 375,463 people this year, a new record, and most in Canada out of our three MLS franchises. They have a waiting list for season tickets, people like to think this franchise is for the dogs when it brings in people and money each year even with a joke of a team.

Which leads to the reason of the expansion in the first place.....

So only going with the west side of stands is too small, and the majority of the concessions are on the eastern side.

Old Posted Today, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Even with a crappy team they still averaged 22,000 fans. You are understating how many people show up to TFC games. TFC brought in 375,463 people this year, a new record, and most in Canada out of our three MLS franchises. They have a waiting list for season tickets, people like to think this franchise is for the dogs when it brings in people and money each year even with a joke of a team.

Which leads to the reason of the expansion in the first place.....

So only going with the west side of stands is too small, and the majority of the concessions are on the eastern side.
Actually, majority of concessions are on the West side. The stadium club all the suites, and most of the main concession stands. Furthermore, they were avergaing 22 000 tickets sold not 22 000 in the stands. The last month of the season they avergaged 19 000 tickets sold and maybe 12 000 in the stands. Fans are once again fed up.

I a was TFC season ticket holder for the first 4 years and tradded my tickets in. After this years abysmal season for the 8th season in a row TONS of ppl aren't renewing. Woulnd't be suprised to see a renewal rate this year below 70%.

It's been proven in the past that their waiting list means nothing. For the first 5 years they had a massive waiting list. Then after the 6th year when spots opened up they called people on that waiting list and most people declined the oppurutnity to purchase tickets.

Also the break down of capacity at BMO is as follows

West Side- 10 000 (main structure with main concessions and amenties ie. suites, club bar, club entrance, media facilities)
East Side- 7000 (bare bones structure exposed to the elements)
South End- 3000
North End 1800

Sprinkle in some standing room seats and sideline seats and you have your 22 000 plus number

I Frequent the Red Patch Boys forum often. Sentiment leading up to next year is not good. They'll be lucky to sell 22 000 seats against next year. 30 000 will see tons of empty seats.

Don't be fooled the expansion isn't happening for TFC, its happening so MLSE can host yearly outdoor leaf games.

Old Posted Today, 3:08 PM

Driving to and from Tadoussac when passing QC I had a chance to see this beast from the highway. Its really impressive.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada