HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: Light Rail vs Street Cars
Light Rail from KSU to Cumberland Mall - Cobb Prky 0 0%
Light Rail around Perimeter Mall CID 0 0%
Light Rail along 285 linking Cobb to Gwinnett 3 6.98%
The Beltline light rail loop 26 60.47%
Cobb County light rail via MARTA - Arts Center 4 9.30%
Gwinnett County light rail via MARTA - Doraville 1 2.33%
Streetcar linking GSU, GA Tech, AUC, UGA 1 2.33%
Streetcar - Midtown/downtown, Aquarium/King Ctr. 5 11.63%
Streetcar - Midtown to Buckhead via Peachtree 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 2:52 AM

2012 Transportation Mock Survey II

In 2012 voters will go to the polls in metro Atlanta to decide if a one cent sales tax should be levied for transportation projects. As we know, everyone will want roads built, but some rail and bus projects will be front and center.
Let’s get ahead of the voters by conducting a mock survey of possible RAIL projects that hopefully will be part of the solution to metro Atlanta’s infamous traffic nightmare.
If the metro area fails to agree on a number of key transportation solutions, the measure put before the voters will NOT pass, and we’ll be stuck in gridlocked traffic for the foreseeable future.
The voters must think on a regional scale (of U-N-I-T-Y), and not my county dollars versus your county dollars… So, let see what the forumers think about the best solutions for addressing Atlanta’s traffic by choosing the most viable RAIL solutions.

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 8:42 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Commuter rail.

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 11:29 AM

I like the Survey

Old Posted May 9, 2010, 9:40 PM

Obviously the Beltline.

Kennesaw is another country for all I care.

The future belongs to urban centers of education and culture.

Old Posted May 17, 2010, 2:56 AM
I've been around

The Perimeter Center to Cumberland LRT/BRT project is definately going to happen if the 1% tax is approved. I don't think it's planned to stretch to Gwinnett but instead stop in Doraville. Calling it Cobb to Gwinnett is a misrepresentation. It's Cumberland to Perimeter, imho. The rest is coincidental. No offense to Doraville/Chamblee area and Gwinnett Place, but Cumberland CID and Perimeter Center are much more urbanized and much farther along (probably 30 years or so ahead).

The decision isn't Light rail versus streetcars. Heavy rail is the main trunk, light rail comes off of that, and streetcars come off of that fed by shuttle bus lines.

I'm all for the beltline, and will in fact be cashing in on it because I'm buying up property now. However, a rail from Cumberland to Perimeter will do much more for the GDP of metro Atlanta versus the beltline, which will help bring people back into downtown Atlanta but not be the same kind of economic engine that turning Cumberland and Perimeter into the same activity center will (think how Marta links Buckhead, midtown, and downtown).

Last edited by netdragon; May 17, 2010 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
The Perimeter Center to Cumberland LRT/BRT project is definately going to happen if the 1% tax is approved. I don't think it's planned to stretch to Gwinnett but instead stop in Doraville. Calling it Cobb to Gwinnett is a misrepresentation. It's Cumberland to Perimeter, imho. The rest is coincidental. No offense to Doraville/Chamblee area and Gwinnett Place, but Cumberland CID and Perimeter Center are much more urbanized and much farther along (probably 30 years or so ahead).

The decision isn't Light rail versus streetcars. Heavy rail is the main trunk, light rail comes off of that, and streetcars come off of that fed by shuttle bus lines.

I'm all for the beltline, and will in fact be cashing in on it because I'm buying up property now. However, a rail from Cumberland to Perimeter will do much more for the GDP of metro Atlanta versus the beltline, which will help bring people back into downtown Atlanta but not be the same kind of economic engine that turning Cumberland and Perimeter into the same activity center will (think how Marta links Buckhead, midtown, and downtown).
I think you forgot to mention where the light rail in Cobb county will end and begin. If the end point does not link to existing rail (MARTA), I cannot see the federal government contributing any funds. That's the MOST IMPORTANT thing to consider when an up-start transit proposal is presented to the voters.

For example, the proposal to have light rail run from KSU to Cumberland Mall along Cobb Parkway will fall flat due to the lack of connectivity with an existing rail system (MARTA). Other cities will be vying for the same federal funds. KSU to Cumberland is literally a dead end.

I see you'll cashing in on the Beltline by buying up property, but you think the Cumberland to Perimeter line would be a greater economic boon. I don't get the logic how the Beltline is so limited in economic development versus the I-285 arch (Cumberland to Perimeter).

You're right. It's not light rail versus streetcars. Maybe the caption should have been light rail AND/OR streetcars. I envision streetcars as tourist driven, while light rail is a commuter option.

Thoughts???

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 11:16 PM
I've been around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post
For example, the proposal to have light rail run from KSU to Cumberland Mall along Cobb Parkway will fall flat due to the lack of connectivity with an existing rail system (MARTA). Other cities will be vying for the same federal funds. KSU to Cumberland is literally a dead end.
Again, that has never been put forward as a serious proposal, those are just to make consituents happy to have it brought up. You have to remember there is more than one source for funding, and you are wrong that any transit project has to connect to MARTA. Obviously, that makes sense, however you have to keep in mind that Cobb County is a bigger city than Atlanta and has both more people and more employment, but also much of it spread out throughout the county except for Cumberland and Town Center. It also has a different type of layout - much larger arterials lined with medium density development (e.g. 2-3 story condos and dense cluster housing). So the way MARTA works in Atlanta in areas with a street grid won't work in Cobb County. What will work is Cobb County connect to MARTA through Cumberland only initially, perhaps extended to Marietta and Town Center, then a mix of different modes of transit throughout the rest. (It may incidentally happen that Austell gets connected to MARTA simply because there is already a line that ends right outside Austell)

By the way, CCT already connects to MARTA, just not by rail. In fact, when the beltline goes in, "suburbs" can probably connect streetcars into there along main arterials, possibly with the exception of Cumberland and Gwinnett Place.

One of the two concepts with rail as a consideration were always the commuter rail line proposal along the W&A from five points or Lindbergh to Vinings, Cumberland, Smyrna, then Marietta. The other serious transit proposal was along the highway 285 for light rail or BRT on guide-ways from Cumberland to the perimeter, to connect at the Dunwoody Station, and would be part of "new starts". Nothing else is transit-related. The HOT/commuter lanes and collector discussed on I-75 between Cumberland and Kennessaw is highway funding, not rail funding. BRT is an after-thought - essentially to build more HOT lanes so it can be shared with BRT. Though it probably will be done because they have already started North of Town Center.

What I believe will be most effective for Cobb County: Express dedicated LRT (really just dedicated streetcars, possibly slowing down at some points that area heavily walked) on the 10 or so biggest arterials (e.g. Barrett Pkwy, Cobb Parkway, E/W Connector, Windy Hill, Cumberland Parkway, Roswell Rd, I-75, I-285, S. Cobb Drive or Atlanta Rd, Thornton Rd, Veteran's Memorial, Austell Rd/Maxham Rd). Some strategic express connections to the belt-line from the communities flanking Atlanta (Vinings, Smyrna, Mableton, Austell) starting with Atlanta Rd through Bolton to the future Westside Park (a BRT is already proposed on Marietta Blvd). Select smaller arterials and add streetcars sometimes mixed with traffic, and sometimes in medians (Floyd Rd, Canton Rd, Spring Rd, Concord Rd, Powder Spring Street). Then shuttle buses feeding the major villages and condo communities to these streetcar lines.

Quote:
I see you'll cashing in on the Beltline by buying up property, but you think the Cumberland to Perimeter line would be a greater economic boon. I don't get the logic how the Beltline is so limited in economic development versus the I-285 arch (Cumberland to Perimeter).
It hasn't been built yet. There is so much housing inventory in those neighborhoods in Atlanta that aside from right at the stations, it's going to slowly fill in but not overnight. The beltline will have a much larger impact on housing in my opinion than on commerce. You'll see mid-rise mixed-use and office buildings near the stations and along arterials from the stations, but the affect on residential will be probably be up to a half-mile out from the stations. This isn't by accident. Investors start seeding the area first down arterials and near parks and other points of interest. That's what is going on right now in some areas. In other areas, investors have bought up blocks of homes, not done so well, and land banks have boarded them up for later when the beltline goes in. Even though they are ghost-towns now, those areas will actually have the potential to turn the fastest when the belt-line goes in but will require a lot of capital well-coordinated.

The thing any suburban Atlanta resident should like about the beltline is that it connects to so many arterials and will push high-density development and the associated landvalues further out towards . For instance, Atlanta Rd in Smyrna connects directly to the future Westside park on the other end of Marietta Blvd. S. Cobb Drive and Veteran's Memorial will connect to the beltline in Grove Park.

Quote:
I envision streetcars as tourist driven, while light rail is a commuter option.
They are all multi-modal, multi-use options. If you build a light-rail between Cumberland and the Perimeter, it would be used by commuters, but also by shoppers, entertainment-goers and by tourists. For instance, if on Saturday you wanted to go from your house in the perimeter to watch a show in the Cobb Performing Arts Center and eat at Cinco, you would undoubtedly find it much more convenient to hop on the rail than take your car. However, that shoes one weakness: Consider if you lived a mile from the station down an arterial.

That is where streetcars and circulator shuttles come in handy. You may not hop on a stinky noisy bus, but you may be willing to hop on a streetcar, wait out maybe four stops, and then hop on the express LRT to cumberland. Or you may hop on a small shuttle bus from your condo a half mile from the station. Or you maybe on a nice day you'd ride your bike and lock it at the station, or roller-blade and throw the blades in a carrying case when you get to the train.

Last edited by netdragon; May 20, 2010 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 1:37 AM

Lightbulb

In my opinion, commuter rail is best for commuting distances over 20 miles, light rail between 10 and 20 miles, and streetcars for connecting neighborhoods less than 10 miles apart.

DART (yes in Dallas, Texas) is building the Green light rail line this year, scheduled to open this December. It will be 28 miles from end to end, but downtown Dallas is slightly off-centered on the line, so the commuting distance to downtown is less than 20 miles. Therefore, building light rail is a good choice.

The Alanta Beltine corridor doesn't have a commuting distance technically because it will circle downtown. I would suggest the slower speeds of streetcars would be preferred in a park, trail environment instead of faster light rail.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
In my opinion, commuter rail is best for commuting distances over 20 miles, light rail between 10 and 20 miles, and streetcars for connecting neighborhoods less than 10 miles apart.

DART (yes in Dallas, Texas) is building the Green light rail line this year, scheduled to open this December. It will be 28 miles from end to end, but downtown Dallas is slightly off-centered on the line, so the commuting distance to downtown is less than 20 miles. Therefore, building light rail is a good choice.

The Alanta Beltine corridor doesn't have a commuting distance technically because it will circle downtown. I would suggest the slower speeds of streetcars would be preferred in a park, trail environment instead of faster light rail.
I agree with streetcars being used as the mode of transportation for the Beltline due to the slower speeds that streetcars travel. The Beltline will have 22 stops on a 22-mile long loop around the inner city. Travel speeds dictate streetcars instead of light rail.

Maybe a new poll will be started to see how ppl would vote on light rail proposals if/when the Beltline becomes a streetcar environment... Thoughts...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 8:02 PM
Reliable Source

Believe it or not, I agree. A slowpoke streetcar makes sense, and not some faster mode. With so many stops, speed is not the issue and a streetcar adds to the ambience. With 22 stops, nobody would use it for more than 5 or 6 stop commute to get to a Marta connection to go to work.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Believe it or not, I agree. A slowpoke streetcar makes sense, and not some faster mode. With so many stops, speed is not the issue and a streetcar adds to the ambience. With 22 stops, nobody would use it for more than 5 or 6 stop commute to get to a Marta connection to go to work.
Bravo Fiorenza, bravo... You CAN be sensible

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 2:59 AM

In my dream land I would wake up one morning to find Maglev running along side 85, 75, 400 and 20 whisking us to work at a high and nearly silent rate of speed. It's nice to dream. At the very least I would like to see Marta extended it's rail network and maybe add a VIP cart to the train, pay an extra dollar or two and get some clean padded seats and some leg room etc.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 11:41 AM

MARTA may NEVER be extended...

[QUOTE=TowerJunkie;4969067]In my dream land I would wake up one morning to find Maglev running along side 85, 75, 400 and 20 whisking us to work at a high and nearly silent rate of speed. It's nice to dream. At the very least I would like to see Marta extended it's rail network and maybe add a VIP cart to the train, pay an extra dollar or two and get some clean padded seats and some leg room etc.[/QUOTE]

TowerJunkie, according to the ASSBACKWARDS state legislature (and candidate for governor - Roy Barnes), MARTA may NOT expand beyond its current stations... SAD, I KNOW.

But, light rail can be extended from MARTA's current heavy rail lines.

VIP cart - as they say up north: "where they do that at?"

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=BlindFatSnake;4969336]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerJunkie View Post
In my dream land I would wake up one morning to find Maglev running along side 85, 75, 400 and 20 whisking us to work at a high and nearly silent rate of speed. It's nice to dream. At the very least I would like to see Marta extended it's rail network and maybe add a VIP cart to the train, pay an extra dollar or two and get some clean padded seats and some leg room etc.[/QUOTE]

TowerJunkie, according to the ASSBACKWARDS state legislature (and candidate for governor - Roy Barnes), MARTA may NOT expand beyond its current stations... SAD, I KNOW.

But, light rail can be extended from MARTA's current heavy rail lines.

VIP cart - as they say up north: "where they do that at?"
that sounds like they want to prostitute Marta, but not really invest. Why would you have light rail that feed people into Marta rather than just expand Marta into those area. Keep playing politcal transportation games and watch Charlotte versus Atlanta over the next ten years.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 4:26 PM

[QUOTE=atlwarrior;4971704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFatSnake View Post

that sounds like they want to prostitute Marta, but not really invest. Why would you have light rail that feed people into Marta rather than just expand Marta into those area. Keep playing politcal transportation games and watch Charlotte versus Atlanta over the next ten years.
I feel ya on the prostitution of MARTA by the state. Heavy rail is at least 2-3 times the cost per mile vs. light rail, which may be the reason so many new "rail cities" are opting for light rail instead of heavy rail. I can only think of one heavy rail system that is expanding (Miami - to the airport). Light rail seems to be the new thing...

Charlotte is often showcased as the next up-and-coming city... but in reality, it has a loooooong way to go before it breaks into the ranks of the South's big 4 (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Miami).

For example: Charlotte is more akin to a Gwinnett County with a Buckhead skyline in the middle of the county. There's little else there to marvel at... I'm just saying (I lived there for 14 years 84-98). The place boomed big time, but the feel is like being in a medium size city that gets dressed to the dime for a concert or professional ballgame. It's like the city is playing grown up.

In 10 years Charlotte will have about 2.5 million people, and Atlanta will still have 4 million more people.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:14 PM

Clayton County - MARTA Referendum
Response Votes
YES 28,538 70%
NO 12,413 30%

As per the AJC, this has basically become a vote to gauge citizen interest about whether or not we should join MARTA. If we vote favorably, then a binding referendum vote could come eventually, but the Legislature would first have to revise the law in 2011.

This is why I voted for Clayton County light rail option in this survey...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta