HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 2:25 AM

Atlanta looked like a much better place back then...more fun.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 2:30 AM

you can still float on the Chattahoochee its fun! alot of parks to do it at too. Its like our ocean (that and lake Lanier!) but public boozing is not as accepted and its kinda like how pools dont have diving boards any more because of liability.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 4:27 PM
i ain't no bubba

Who is that between Amy and Billy Carter?

Thanks for sharing the pictures Joe! It looks like a good time was had by all.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 6:34 PM

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be about the Bye Bye Buckhead celebration this past weekend.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 12:25 PM

Ramblin' Raft Race

I was searching for the documentary/movie made of the 1972 race and found your pics. What a trip back in time. I've read it was a French documentary of the river, what I remember is the movie showed at Westgate Theater in Atlanta. I was in the movie and have tried for years to get a copy of it. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks for the pics and post!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 1:32 AM

LOL at first glance I thought those were pics from the Hotlanta River Raft Races....anyone old enough to remember that?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy View Post
LOL at first glance I thought those were pics from the Hotlanta River Raft Races....anyone old enough to remember that?
I remember that and I doubt we'll see any photos from Hotlanta get posted on this forum. LOL

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshadoh View Post
But I think also the stigma of the river being dirty made it less popular, not to mention fiorenza's comment regarding public boozing.
Yeah, plus people were just having too much fun. We can't have that in Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 11:23 AM

Here's the video recap of last weekend's Downhill Challenge. It isn't exactly a river event, but I think it has the same spirit as the Great American Ramblin Raft Race.

Last year it went from initial idea to 18 cars in three weeks. This year, there were at least 42 entries (It seems like less on the video since it focuses on the really fast ones and the wipe outs). It seems likely to keep growing just like the Raft Race.

And yes, that is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich flying down the hill one minute in.

Note: Wait to watch until you can turn on the sound. The music really sets the tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6v8PxsAMxk

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 8:53 PM

Looks like it could have been fun but considering the time period where is the color in the crowd? Those pictures seem to portray a negative stereotype of the south and with the confederate flag being flown it should be banned. For those of you who enjoyed the pictures you show your true color; no color. If you disagree with me, thats fine but you're probably racist...but thats just my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Looks like it could have been fun but considering the time period where is the color in the crowd? Those pictures seem to portray a negative stereotype of the south and with the confederate flag being flown it should be banned. For those of you who enjoyed the pictures you show your true color; no color. If you disagree with me, thats fine but you're probably racist...but thats just my opinion.

LOL. No one's opinion but you're own. Isn't it entirely possible that some people who fly the Proper Banner do so because of a family lineage of soldiers who fought for the South? 13 soldiers to be exact and exactly ZERO of them owned slaves. Don't let facts like that get in the way of a witch hunt. You're probably right though. I'm just racist, I hate my black roommate and best friend

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 2:13 AM

Quote:
He posted a video that happened to have a Confederate flag in in, so you made vast assumptions about his race and political opinions. And he's the one that is racist?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 3:18 AM

IT'S OFFENSIVE!!!!!!! I'm definately not the only one that feels like this. Think about the old Georgia flag and the controversy it caused. I along with plenty others would not move to a state that had that emblem apart of their flag.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 3:30 AM

one interestingly funny fact is that it wasn't even ga's state flag until 1956! (when certain people likely got a bit pissy about brown vs. board of education)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 4:01 AM

It is offensive if you want it to be, but a little perspective might be helpful when looking back at history. To the kids who wore and flew the old Confederate flag back in the 1970s, it had nothing at all to do with race. I'm equally certain that all the Black kids who wore "X" shirts back then weren't advocating the killing of "white devils" just because they wore a trendy shirt. Though it might be hard to believe in today's hyper-sensitive PC environment, rebel flags and X shirts were harmless symbols of youthful rebellion and nonconformity in the 70s and 80s. Rafting down the Hooch with a case of beer was just plain fun, and the "rebel" flag matched the rebellious attitude of the event.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
one interestingly funny fact is that it wasn't even ga's state flag until 1956! (when certain people likely got a bit pissy about brown vs. board of education)
And what's even funnier is the fact that -- after all the grief on both sides -- our "new" Georgia flag is every bit as Confederate as the recent version that people got so worked up about. The recently-abandoned flag included the better-known Confederate battle emblem, which was the CSA version of the Scots flag of St. Andrew. But the pre-1956 flag (shown in your Post #34) and our "new" flag are both only slight variations of the Confederate "Stars and Bars" standard, with the Georgia seal added to the blue field. It's just history.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 5:20 AM

Quote:
You know, I never even noticed a Confederate battle flag in the video before posting. I've watched it again a few times and I still don't see it.

I did see:

- Two American flags: lots of homeowners associations want them banned now.

- One Jolly Roger: Arrr, matey! Time to rape and pillage.

- The Simpsons: Definitely a bad influence on our youth. They destroyed the values of a whole generation. I remember when people were suspended for wearing Simpsons shirts.

- One German military helmet: Don't know whether to be oppressed by Prussian dominance or terrorized by wild bikers.

- Lots of Beer: Clearly a bad influence on society.

Offense is where you find it, and there are way too many things that offend people these days to worry about sanitizing every little thing before interacting with others. Sometimes you just have to live life and not go looking for reasons to be put out.

As for color in the crowd? There was indeed some. The guy at 0:38 definitely seemed to be having a good time. If there was less color than you liked, Scania, please ask the community why they decided not to come. All were welcome.

Last edited by bibbit; Jul 10, 2007 at 6:00 AM. Reason: Changed from British to American spelling.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta