HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 7:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no reason to get detrailed as labroco has said

hes not being hostile hes suggesting an idea to be apart of the solution rather then slamming people. like urban did... seariously guys as labroco said why not buy a house near downtown fix it up and move into it be apart of the solution not the problem.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
inside it not outside the one on the corner the bigger one on the right they still do the popcorn in it
If the year was 1990, fine, but after decades of this embarrassing area in the CBD, it is disgusting. And after reading the FP story several years back, the President of Scott-Bathgate does sound like a DB.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
There is no hostility but rather a firm contrary opinion to the buildings and their condition and use. I consider calling someone a DB hostile and disrespectful on a public forum. I have never met the owner of SBG but I do place a lot of value on businesses who stay downtown and employ people. Because a bldg does not have new black framed windows does not mean it's neglected. A neglected bldg is one that is vacant with a leaking roof and no heat! What you may call "looks like shit" would be called Patena in New York Boston Berlin or Prague.

The hostility you refer to should be directed at the condition of the St Charles hotel...

I think people should be prepared for a more robust conversation on urbanism and architecture without feeling comments are hostile. I'm just suggesting a civil and polite discussion goes a long way...
Nobody is afraid of a colourful exchange, but you were the first bring it, calling someone a DB. Either way, water under the bridge.

Nonetheless, the NC building has potential thus far not realized, that is just my opinion but obviously I have no control over that.

I'm on board with ridding the city of the St Charles Hotel and similar properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Multi-use is great, letting a heritage building deteriorate is not. The Portage Ave East building and the Lombard building look like shit.
And I would agree. However, it is greatly underestimated by most how much is actually require to own and operate a heritage building. Ain't cheap.
Quote:

hes not being hostile hes suggesting an idea to be apart of the solution rather then slamming people. like urban did... seariously guys as labroco said why not buy a house near downtown fix it up and move into it be apart of the solution not the problem.
Because I already have a house and put my own capital to use in a variety of ways that I haven't disclosed on a forum?

I agree, be part of the solution rather than whine... in 8 out of 10 threads on here I'm praising an idea that many users consider not platinum coated enough but condo units should start at the high 100k's. Our economic parameters in Winnipeg are stringent and that difficulty must be acknowledged, and positive progress appreciated.

But this is literally a discussion forum. We discuss. In this case, I simply had higher hopes for Nutty club the last 20 years but I love beer so I'm happy if a tap room is going there. As a finance guy, I simply questioned why little had been done prior.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 9:43 PM

^I would not be on board with ridding the city of the St. Charles. I would be on board with the city ridding (expropriating) Zaifman of it and selling to someone willing to redevelop it. That plan from 5+ years ago for it was stunning. Someone do that.

Also, part of the issue with the NC building is that it's surrounded by wasteland. Can't imagine anyone wanting to live right there until either other developments start or are in the definite pipeline for that area.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^I would not be on board with ridding the city of the St. Charles. I would be on board with the city ridding (expropriating) Zaifman of it and selling to someone willing to redevelop it. That plan from 5+ years ago for it was stunning. Someone do that.

Also, part of the issue with the NC building is that it's surrounded by wasteland. Can't imagine anyone wanting to live right there until either other developments start or are in the definite pipeline for that area.
Well, that's part of my implication... do something to turn the citiest dirtiest holes, whether st regis, vendome, st charles, into nice spaces that aid in a nice vision for out downtown.

As for the lots surrounding NC and NC itself... the lot owners are complacently part of the problem. Either do something with the lot or sell it. There is interest, but nobody willing to pay the absurd asking prices.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 10:08 PM
BANNED

One is biting the dust if Richardson would start his new building. Actually, what would be cool is if he bought the NC buildings, renovated them, and connected them to his new building across the way.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 11:03 PM

Does anyone know if there are plans to redevelop these two blights in the Waterfront Dr area...the orange metal warehouse at 60 Heaton and the grey metal sportsplex at 55 Duncan? They do not fit in at all with the direction the neighborhood is going.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 11:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Nobody is afraid of a colourful exchange, but you were the first bring it, calling someone a DB.
Wrong. It was your boy urban. Read further back. Some lessons in manners are needed here.

Or some moderating. Haha. No really.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 11:42 PM
BANNED

Eye for an eye. Besides, I called the president of SB a douchebag, NOT Lab. He decided to start shit with me. Get your facts straight River.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
no reason to get detrailed as labroco has said

This particular discussion is about the CBD, not surrounding residential neighborhoods.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:08 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Eye for an eye. Besides, I called the president of SB a douchebag, NOT Lab. He decided to start shit with me. Get your facts straight River.
Why? Do you know this person? Have they done something to wrong you that you would use such foul language? Someone that has provided employment for hundreds and hundreds of Winnipeggers over the years? What is your problem?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:10 AM
BANNED

None of your business. What does it matter to you? Are you involved?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:13 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Just wondering why you are acting like such an asshole. What did the owner of Nutty Club do to you personally?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:22 AM
BANNED

His attitude, whining that the buildings do not meet their needs in a contemporary manufacturing setting, and assumes they cannot be retrofitted, like dozens of old warehouses all over the world have been. People like him, sitting on underutilized buildings, play a huge role in why the landscape of downtown is still so heavily punctuated by lots, and derelict buildings.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 12:55 AM
BANNED

More parking for Exchange District eyed

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/09/1...-district-eyed

Quote:
Olson said a proposal for a $30.5-million Rupert Avenue mixed-use building with about 500 parking stalls will be ready to submit to the province in October

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:14 AM

^ I like how that whole article was about possibly piloting angled parking in the Exchange (good idea), and then they casually dropped that bomb at the end.

Must be the plan for the science museum, or some other new building beside where it will end up. The only vacant lot on Rupert east of Main is the lot across from Manitoba Museum.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:35 AM
BANNED

I am all for angled parking. That is what I am wondering: perhaps this proposal is planned for east of where the science centre will go.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 2:41 AM

Quote:
His attitude, whining that the buildings do not meet their needs in a contemporary manufacturing setting, and assumes they cannot be retrofitted, like dozens of old warehouses all over the world have been. People like him, sitting on underutilized buildings, play a huge role in why the landscape of downtown is still so heavily punctuated by lots, and derelict buildings.
I so disagree with you and your position. Companies like SBG are saving the buildings by utilizing them as they were originally designed to be used. Without these businesses the buildings would have been demolished. Hundreds of people work in and utilizing them, feeding their families and paying taxes.

Great western Metal, SBG and Canada Goose are huge employers in the city core and saved the area from total blight. I'm happy every time any of these buildings are utilized like this. I agree there should be no demolition by neglect as in the St Charles and should be expropriated. I also believe the off sales should be curtailed but that's a whole other discussion. Not today.

Your emotions are misdirected clouding an otherwise somewhat acceptable position. If you have already bought a house in the core and renovated it congratulations. You have my respect. Perhaps it's time to acquire one of the derelict buildings your complaining about and work towards the solution. I'll still give you the $50.00 HD card and even show you how to break down a gas boiler to save you some money. ( you may need it for the renovation) After many many years I know a little bit about these buildings...

These are all non subsidized businesses run prudently for years. They have my respect for sticking it out. I think your just a little envious of urban landlords for some reason. Go on, make the plunge buy a little building! There has never been a better time!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 3:12 AM
BANNED

You like what, to most people, resembles abandoned buildings with no sense of life around them, good for you Bobby.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 4:36 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
One is biting the dust if Richardson would start his new building. Actually, what would be cool is if he bought the NC buildings, renovated them, and connected them to his new building across the way.
Richardsons will not be demolishing a nutty club building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan