HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 6:42 PM

So there's a brewery going into the Nutty Club building at Lombard and Waterfront. Apparently it's some young guys and NC hasn't used most of the building in years but doesn't want to sell, so apparently their just giving them the space for little or no rent.

Awesome.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89542...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 7:20 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Anyone else notice the rectangular glass "room" or something on top of 62M (UFO condo). I'm assuming it's a common room maybe - amazing views, but seems someone out of place to me.
It's the most awesome residential suite in the city. I believe the goal is to Airbnb it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 7:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So there's a brewery going into the Nutty Club building at Lombard and Waterfront. Apparently it's some young guys and NC hasn't used most of the building in years but doesn't want to sell, so apparently their just giving them the space for little or no rent.

Awesome.

Will be a tap room. It's a cool space. Great location. Would be awesome if they served the pink popcorn too.

I believe there is still some manufacturing happening on the upper floors.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 7:37 PM

How cool is that.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Very cool.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Awesome.

That's a big problem: not wanting to sell. The douchebag will let the building sit when it should be redeveloped. Great for the tap room, but the building needs a retrofit. The CEO of Scott Bathgate comes off an old geezer who has only one good idea: get the railways out of the city. I do like the foliage on the Waterfront side of the building.

Last edited by Urban recluse; Sep 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It's the most awesome residential suite in the city. I believe the goal is to Airbnb it.
So does that mean that the common use rooftop patio got scrapped for the building? Because that'd be pretty weird to have your unit in the middle of a BBQ of strangers.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
That's a big problem: not wanting to sell. The douchebag will let the building sit when it should be redeveloped. Great for the tap room, but the building needs a retrofit. The CEO of Scott Bathgate comes off an old geezer who has only one good idea: get the railways out of the city. I do like the foliage on the Waterfront side of the building.
Given the massive expanse of surface parking lots in that area, I have a hard time seeing any building as a problem, especially when it has such character, history, and unique uses.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:30 AM
BANNED

You have no standards, which explains it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 3:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
now thats thinking outside the box

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Anyone else notice the rectangular glass "room" or something on top of 62M (UFO condo). I'm assuming it's a common room maybe - amazing views, but seems someone out of place to me.
Last I heard, that was going to be a small "office" (ie. clubhouse?) for 546 Architects... not sure why they want to hang out on top of a building they don't work/live in. Besides the fact that it's the fanciest urban tree fort in town.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
The best use for this building is its current use... Manufacturing. If it wasn't for SBG using it for th last 40 years it would be a parking lot like the rest of th area. A tap room on the main floor further enhances its excellence as urban fabric. I for one have always felt these type of businesses are what makes the area diversified. SBG employs countless people in their 4 great buildings downtown. They do not all have to filled with 25 year olds in black staring at a computer screen. The only DB here is you. Your comments and credibility are deminished when speaking of people and businesses that you know very little about. You can make a change in the downtown by investing in a very inexpensive house and directing energy into its rehabilitation. It's something I'm sure you could afford to do and give you skin in the game. I think it's something you could very good at and would enjoy. Your comments on that journey would be welcomed by all on this forum. I for one would be pleased to offer you a $50.00 gift card from Home Depot when you close on your purchase!

Best Regards!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 4:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

sbc does their thing if they like u they will work with u, they're down to earth people i should know spent enough time crawling around their buildings.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
The best use for this building is its current use... Manufacturing. If it wasn't for SBG using it for th last 40 years it would be a parking lot like the rest of th area. A tap room on the main floor further enhances its excellence as urban fabric. I for one have always felt these type of businesses are what makes the area diversified. SBG employs countless people in their 4 great buildings downtown. They do not all have to filled with 25 year olds in black staring at a computer screen. The only DB here is you. Your comments and credibility are deminished when speaking of people and businesses that you know very little about. You can make a change in the downtown by investing in a very inexpensive house and directing energy into its rehabilitation. It's something I'm sure you could afford to do and give you skin in the game. I think it's something you could very good at and would enjoy. Your comments on that journey would be welcomed by all on this forum. I for one would be pleased to offer you a $50.00 gift card from Home Depot when you close on your purchase!

Best Regards!
Well that's a touch aggressive.

If it wasn't for SBG, it might be re-developed/re-purposed. Nobody can deny that nothing has happened to that building for 40 years while there definitely has been outside interest.

If they're short cash, ok fine generate some rent, but if it's dirt cheap, is that a wise decision? If they'd entertain a sale, how idealistic would they be about the asking price that they're willing to let it sit dormant for decades? If they had cash, perhaps this would have been redeveloped sooner or certainly more operational in the meantime?

Those are just thoughts and musings, nothing else.

...but other than that, perhaps consider that this is open conversation on an online forum... not sure what triggered THAT level of hostility there...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Multi-use is great, letting a heritage building deteriorate is not. The Portage Ave East building and the Lombard building look like shit.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 6:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Multi-use is great, letting a heritage building deteriorate is not. The Portage Ave East building and the Lombard building look like shit.
the little one on the corner of portage ave east was renovated 6 yrs ago and is the offices and data center for les.net

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 6:41 PM
BANNED

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89472...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Looks awful. I would demand a refund.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Well that's a touch aggressive.

If it wasn't for SBG, it might be re-developed/re-purposed. Nobody can deny that nothing has happened to that building for 40 years while there definitely has been outside interest.

If they're short cash, ok fine generate some rent, but if it's dirt cheap, is that a wise decision? If they'd entertain a sale, how idealistic would they be about the asking price that they're willing to let it sit dormant for decades? If they had cash, perhaps this would have been redeveloped sooner or certainly more operational in the meantime?

Those are just thoughts and musings, nothing else.

...but other than that, perhaps consider that this is open conversation on an online forum... not sure what triggered THAT level of hostility there...
I suspect he is a friend of James Burt.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
I suspect he is a friend of James Burt.
There is no hostility but rather a firm contrary opinion to the buildings and their condition and use. I consider calling someone a DB hostile and disrespectful on a public forum. I have never met the owner of SBG but I do place a lot of value on businesses who stay downtown and employ people. Because a bldg does not have new black framed windows does not mean it's neglected. A neglected bldg is one that is vacant with a leaking roof and no heat! What you may call "looks like shit" would be called Patena in New York Boston Berlin or Prague.

The hostility you refer to should be directed at the condition of the St Charles hotel...

I think people should be prepared for a more robust conversation on urbanism and architecture without feeling comments are hostile. I'm just suggesting a civil and polite discussion goes a long way...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 7:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89472...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Looks awful. I would demand a refund.
inside it not outside the one on the corner the bigger one on the right they still do the popcorn in it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan