HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:27 PM

I have to admit I'd prefer something with commercial space on the main level... there's a lot of blank walls in the East Exchange and having at least a few storefronts would make the area feel more inviting.

Here's what I'd love to see at Rorie and Bannatyne. It doesn't even have to be this big, 3 storeys (1 commercial + 2 residential) would be fine.

Source: rtmassociates.com

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Modest enough Esquire; that is not expecting too much.

Something like this around George & Argyle:

http://hubbellrealty.com/apartment-l...unity/5Fifty5/

http://slingshotarchitecture.com/5fi...g-to-downtown/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Would love to see something built there. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the owner of that (large) lot answered the RFP for Waterfront Drive with some proposal that would have also built on that lot, but lost out. This is a faint and possibly incorrect memory.
You are absolutely right, there was a pitch for a rather interesting and somewhat tall building for that site. IIRC, trueviking said that the proposal was sunk when another developer got their hands on the parcel immediately to the east fronting along Waterfront to build that annoying little Ship Street Village.

Sadly, my google kung fu was not good enough to retrieve an image of the rendering.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Would love to see something built there. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the owner of that (large) lot answered the RFP for Waterfront Drive with some proposal that would have also built on that lot, but lost out. This is a faint and possibly incorrect memory.

Looks like on the Bannatyne side, there really wasn't anything. Railway sidings in 1906 and the picture below is 1914.

[IMG][/IMG]

The link for the Archives collection of Fire Insurance Plans is http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_a...ec_nbr=3776923 . Just go into the arrangement structure and browse to your heart's content. Be forewarned that it is a seriously time killer for urban history geeks like me.
Thank for the link and the info!

Back when I was in university, you could only view the fire atlases in the Provincial Archives. Great that these are online! I could easily kill a few hours surfing these maps.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 8:50 PM

I think with the way the north side of Bannatyne is, we could make a street like Newbury in Boston there with the redevelopment of the south parking lot. 3-5 storey townhomes where the lower an first floors are retail. That's probably my favourite street in the world. It's like 10 blocks of that with everything from H&M and Starbucks to Gucci and Hermes, and tons of local shops as well.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Pure urban bliss.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 12:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You are absolutely right, there was a pitch for a rather interesting and somewhat tall building for that site. IIRC, trueviking said that the proposal was sunk when another developer got their hands on the parcel immediately to the east fronting along Waterfront to build that annoying little Ship Street Village.

Sadly, my google kung fu was not good enough to retrieve an image of the rendering.
u know theres a thread archive right with it right there or my folder of rendering's......

though i just went to the archive and pulled it up since not at home to pull off my external drive

hell the developer still have the image on their server..
northern electic building
http://www.scpl.com/property_images/...tyne_large.jpg

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:04 AM

^ That's not the one I'm referring to... it was a terraced building as I recall. Fairly contemporary style.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 5:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
^ That's not the one I'm referring to... it was a terraced building as I recall. Fairly contemporary style.
o that was befor i started archiving

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Are you possibly confusing it with this old proposal by FT3 for the Pumphouse property?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:18 PM

^ I don't recall that one at all.

No, I specifically remember probably from around 2004 or so, there was a rendering floating around for a fairly substantial building on that lot between McDermot and Bannatyne. I also recall trueviking mentioning that it fell through when Centreventure sold the Waterfront Drive frontage to whoever developed Ship Street Village (Streetside?) because the developer didn't want to build if it wasn't right on Waterfront.

That was a long time ago in internet years so the rendering may no longer be online.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

No, I specifically remember probably from around 2004 or so, there was a rendering floating around for a fairly substantial building on that lot between McDermot and Bannatyne. I also recall trueviking mentioning that it fell through when Centreventure sold the Waterfront Drive frontage to whoever developed Ship Street Village (Streetside?) because the developer didn't want to build if it wasn't right on Waterfront.
I remember the issue of a proposal for that property and it disappearing because of Ship Street Village being built on the prime land to the east, but I can't remember an image of it. Curious...
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:36 PM

^ It was pretty exciting because it was one of the first substantial residential proposals downtown in quite a long time after the deadness of the mid 90s to early 00s... I'd definitely know it if I saw it. It was a pretty distinctive building... had an almost nautical-inspired look, like something you'd expect to see on the oceanside. Vike may be the only hope with this one... I think his firm may have been involved.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think with the way the north side of Bannatyne is, we could make a street like Newbury in Boston there with the redevelopment of the south parking lot. 3-5 storey townhomes where the lower an first floors are retail. That's probably my favourite street in the world. It's like 10 blocks of that with everything from H&M and Starbucks to Gucci and Hermes, and tons of local shops as well.

Downtown Columbus, OH:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.96433...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.96439...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:09 PM

^Very nice, but I do think there needs to be ground level CRUs on that street. We need one street in the Exchange that actually has retail on both sides for a few blocks, and that's the one with the most potential. The north side of McDermot is great for ONE block off Main, but the parkade on the south side isn't going anywhere and that monstrous Parks Canada building a block over is... well.. I don't know what you could ever do with that even if the gov't moved out.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:10 PM
BANNED

True. Even a few CRUs mixed in would be healthy.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
True. Even a few CRUs mixed in would be healthy.
Yeah, design them as flex spaces that could be used either way.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Yes. The photo you posted would be ideal for, say, Bannatyne. Lining Alexander, or George with strictly residential brownstones would make sense.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:27 PM

[QUOTE=Urban recluse;7496462]Yes. The photo you posted would be ideal for, say, Bannatyne. Lining Alexander, or George with strictly residential brownstones would make sense.[/QUOTE

I think George, Duncan, Galt and Edwin are envisioned as more mixed use and live work...

www.Waterfrontnorth.com

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 4:32 PM
BANNED

The plan is too vague at this point, and I am not sure it includes those streets. I hope so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan