HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 1:47 PM

Anybody have an updated opening date for Target?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 12:05 AM

Cross-post from the construction forum, because not everyone visits both:

For the past three days, surveyors have been... well, surveying the Georgia Tech Softball/Golf facility. That's at 14th/McCaslin/16th in the Atlantic Station area. So the land has been sold, and these are early stages for further developments. Anyone know who bought it or what is planned? I remember talk a while back about Home Depot moving to the neighborhood.

I imagine Tech will continue to use the field until some sort of construction gets underway.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 12:15 AM
Wahoo Wah

Whatever goes there, I hope they extend a street grid through it into Atlantic Station there.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 1:09 PM

Hot new store for Hotlanta

Atlanta Business Chronicle - June 1, 2007by Jill Lerner FriedmanStaff writer

Swedish retailer H&M is coming to Atlanta.

The hip, inexpensive clothing purveyor is finalizing a deal to open its first metro store at Atlantic Station.

H&M has 1,400 stores in 28 countries and entered the United States in 2000 with a location on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. Most of its 118 domestic stores are on the East Coast, although in 2005 the retailer opened its first units on the West Coast in San Francisco.

The Atlantic Station store, expected to open in 2008, will be the first H&M south of Virginia.

"I think H&M is one of the most sought-after retailers in the country right now -- really, in the world," said David Birnbrey, chairman and co-CEO of Atlanta-based The Shopping Center Group LLC, a leading retail real estate brokerage. Birnbrey credited the retailer with being "fashion-forward while still remaining a great value."

The store offers clothing for women, men, children and teenagers and is known for its celebrity-inspired lines tied to such stars as Madonna and Australian pop star Kylie Minogue.

Atlantic Station and H&M representatives said no lease has been signed and would not confirm the impending deal. But several sources said the Swedish retailer is finalizing its agreement. H&M is expected to take the entire second floor above home furnishing and card store Metropolitan Deluxe, across Market Street from Dillard's.

The 138-acre Atlantic Station also is home to the first IKEA home furnishings in the Southeast.

IKEA spokesman Joseph Roth said the company was "thrilled with the reception afforded us in Atlanta and very pleased with our location."

The deal for the hotly sought-after H&M is a huge "get" for Atlantic Station and Jones Lang LaSalle Inc., which handles the management, leasing and construction management of Atlantic Station's retail component.

Birnbrey called the deal a "major milestone" for Atlantic Station.

"You could say it enhances Atlantic Station's efforts to validate itself as a shopping destination offering more than just the typical retailers you see in other destinations," he said.

H&M's site choice also burnishes Midtown's growing reputation as a shopping destination.

In addition to the 1.5 million square feet of retail, restaurants and entertainment venues at Atlantic Station, developers involved in the "Midtown Mile" are planning more than 1 million square feet of existing and proposed retail along 14 contiguous blocks of Peachtree from North Avenue to 15th Street.

The biggest single contributor to the Midtown Mile is the mixed-use 12th & Midtown, which calls for hundreds of thousands of square feet of retail in what project executives say will be Atlanta's first flagship shopping destination.

12th & Midtown is being developed by Daniel Corp.; Selig Enterprises Inc.; Earvin "Magic" Johnson's real estate investment firm, Canyon Johnson Urban Fund L.P.; and MetLife Inc.

Officials say the project's retail will consist of multilevel flagship stores on Peachtree and smaller, eclectic retailers and restaurants on surrounding streets.

The first phase, under construction, calls for up to 50,000 square feet of retail.

Developers Tishman Speyer and Jamestown are also expected to reposition the retail in their buildings along the Midtown Mile, Colony Square and 999 Peachtree, respectively.

A prominent developer in Buckhead is also trying to lure first-of-its-kind retail to his project.

The first phase of Ben Carter Properties LLC's $850 million Buckhead Village redevelopment, Buckhead Avenues, calls for 350,000 square feet of retail space. Chairman Ben Carter said he expects to attract luxury retailers, trendy retailers and boutique retailers.

Demolition of Buckhead Village is set to begin in September.

Neither project has announced retail tenants.

H&M was considered a big prize, however several other "first-to-Atlanta" retail concepts, many also foreign-based, remain up for grabs.

Among the top concepts being courted nationally, said Birnbrey, are Zara, a trendy apparel concept from Spain; UNIQLO, sort of the "Gap" of Japan; and Mango, also a hip apparel retailer headquartered in Spain.

Another popular "get" is the United Kingdom-based Tesco Plc, a discount department store in the vein of a Wal-Mart or Target. None of the companies has a presence in Atlanta.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 1:56 PM

Great way to start off June with some GOOD news about Atlantic Station. Can't wait till it opens. It'll look cool on the second floor.

I use to wonder about all this new retail ATL is getting but I keep forgetting that there are a ton of retailers who aren't here yet.

I was reading about how they have 3 H&M stores within 4 blocks in SanFransisco. Maybe they can build a 2 story flagship store Somewhere on Peachtree

Last edited by SAV; Jun 1, 2007 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:57 AM

Atlantic Station Community Meeting

Did anyone go to the meeting tonight?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:04 PM

H&M is notorious for blanketing a region. There are two in SoHo a couple blocks from each other.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:56 PM

i feel like there are dozens of H&Ms in Washington DC and Northern Virginia....everywhere you go you see them.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:57 PM

Blanketing a region or just locating stores to make a profit like Walmart, CVS, Home Depot.....on and on.....interesting how perspectives change according to a retailers success or failure. By that I mean, H&M is very successful right now and expanding their stores everywhere. Home Depot, CVS and Walmart are already the giants in their respective categories and when they build stores we just consider it normal that stores are located so close together in some areas or neighborhoods....

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Jun 7, 2007 at 3:17 PM. Reason: Additions

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
H&M is notorious for blanketing a region. There are two in SoHo a couple blocks from each other.
So we may see more in Atlanta? Why not one on the Midtown Mile.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 4:27 PM

I know it's not really that close in, but Sembler's new Brookhaven project near Oglethorpe will have an H&M also, along with the first Kohl's inside the Perimeter.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:22 PM

Regarding the civic meeting last night. There were about 35 people that showed up . We elected a board. We were also given an update about future leases including the H&M and also a daycare on top of Pier 1 with a rooftop playground for the kiddies. Also, they will be installing new lighting in the parking deck to brighten up the dungeon. Also,the hiring of additional security. The lights are out around the Element because of a payment dispute with Lane Co. (figures) but AS said they are going to turn them on soon and just bill Lane. And regarding the flashing yellow light at Mecaslin and 17th. Someone cut the wire underground
and the utility company is trying to figure out where so they can fix it. Who knows how long that will take.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:04 PM
(Oo=vw=oO) .:R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna_210 View Post
Anybody have an updated opening date for Target?
Everything I've ever heard has been an October opening date. Then someone said Target only opens stores at certain times of the year. Who knows???

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 7:53 PM
Novice RealEstate Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I know it's not really that close in, but Sembler's new Brookhaven project near Oglethorpe will have an H&M also, along with the first Kohl's inside the Perimeter.
Do you have a list of what will be in that project?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 4:41 PM

Sorry, whoDean - I don't. It was a little blurb in the paper a couple of weeks back. The only other names mentioned in the article were Whole Foods and Home Depot.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Sorry, whoDean - I don't. It was a little blurb in the paper a couple of weeks back. The only other names mentioned in the article were Whole Foods and Home Depot.
Project PDF: http://www.sembler.com/pdfs/Brookhaven%20Village.pdf

Looks decent!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
It looks good until I scanned to the 2nd page and saw the surface parking, but that's a discussion for the Atlanta Project / Discussion thread.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
It looks good until I scanned to the 2nd page and saw the surface parking, but that's a discussion for the Atlanta Project / Discussion thread.
Every other car is a silver Corvette or silver RX8! As far as the parking goes, I'll let you in a secret, it's a shopping center. People buy more crap when they can stuff it in a car, not lug it on a bus. I'm not taking a 42" LCD onto a MARTA train!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 1:57 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Looks like they are going slightly more vertical than Edgewood Retail District. I think the most floors at any building at Edgewood is four, and it appears that some of the multi-use here is proposed to go to six. If so, I like it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 5:00 PM

I don't know if any of you have seen Perimeter Place yet, but it looks very similar to those new renderings for Brookhaven (thanks for the linkThrashATL)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta