HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:58 AM
BANNED

Nice. Little Brown Jug Brewery opening at 336 William. The nasty stucco inserts are gone.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/336...e54d63!6m1!1e1

Winnipeg Free Press

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thought i saw signs of a brew pub last night as i walked by to the 711 man the exchange needs a 24hr snack place

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 10:05 PM
BANNED

A few hundred more residents are needed.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 1:26 AM

Regarding brewers, this piece sounds intriguing:

La Brasserie Nonsuch
Brewing Co.

location TBA

Matthew Sabourin of Nonsuch checked in by email, noting a downtown location should be announced shortly, with architects and engineers currently in the process of checking out the proposed site.

"I really think Manitobans will be surprised and excited about where we will be setting up shop," says Sabourin. "It aligns so well with our vision, our tie to the city’s history and the message we’re trying to communicate with our brand. We felt that placing ourselves in the downtown, particularly the Exchange area, was an important piece for Nonsuch, and we feel absolutely privileged to have found a location where we can bring that vision to life."

Source: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...387975812.html

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 2:55 AM
BANNED

Intriguing.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wonder if this means reis furrs finaly gets a main floor tenit? just a pie in the sky thought

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:48 AM

Last Wednesday Union Sound Hall closed out of nowhere. No announcement or usual closing parties, just shuttered. While I know not everyone loves "clubs" - but it was a pretty popular music venue of a size very rare in Winnipeg. The only other music venue of that size/ type really is The Garrick, which I actually love, but is way more expensive to rent and doesn't buy their own programming like a bar venue does. Really sad to see this go, and surprised it only lasted 3 years. Was one of the best and consistently busy venues in the city, although I'll admit their regular weekend parties had gone down in attendance recently.

The club aspect is oh well, but the venue loss is massive. With club-going attendees dropping all the time with the rise in popularity of smaller lounges, it will be interesting what the next few years looks like music venue wise.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the sound in the garrik sucks bleh i dont go to events there cause of it

the loss of union sucks weird wonder why it closed

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:30 AM

The club killed the venue. When a club crowd gets too obnoxious it drives off music venue customers.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 2:01 PM

^^ As much as I don't like to see closures in the area such as Don Pedros last year and Fox & Fiddle recently, the loss of a club has less impact as it really didn't bring much value to the area.

I suppose it put more people on the streets from 11pm - 3am which probably benefited late night dinners like Johnny G's. So there is some loss without it.

Having said that, hopefully something fills in for it and/or Don Pedros and the building itself as lots of commercial space available in it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:14 PM

With the additional residents from Galpern and 98 Market and the newer District Condos coming on in the next little while, I don't suspect that the Don Pedro's space will sit vacant too long. But Union is massive, and I don't really know how much demand there is for another club right now. I can see that being empty for a looooong time unless it becomes offices.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 3:48 AM

Any idea why scaffolding up at the condo at 181 Bannatyne?

Sadly I see someone already scaled it and graffitied the building.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:16 AM

^Walked by it (Ashdown) today, looks like they're working on the masonry. Some workers were looking at some of the big stone slabs that were cracked. Anyone know if they did any/much masonry work when they first converted the building or if it was mostly work on the inside?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 12:03 AM

Zoning variance notice DAV 16-148934/B on MTC:

"...for the alteration of an existing event, projecting sign by the addition of a digital moving copy sign to permit a sign surface area of 178 sq. ft. instead of 64 sq. ft."

A new larger marquee I assume.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 4:22 AM

^That's awesome. And yes, the antiques building on Princess would be awesome for that, as would the buildings beside Fairchild. It'd be awesome to fill in the two storeys of space above the shorter one with glass to bring it up to the same height as the others.

Anyone know about the state of the actual building where the antique shop is/was? Is it structurally sound? Is it a heritage building? If so, can the city enforce better upkeep?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 2:39 PM
BANNED

It would be wonderful if the lot beside 272 Main was filled in too.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 3:44 AM
Heart of the Continent

This evening I ate at East Ocean restaurant, and decided to take a walk through the exchange, so I drove over and parked along waterfront. I went down waterfront, and on the way back zig zagged the side streets. The East exchange is really turning into a vibrant place to be. There were people out walking and biking. Couples, families, all enjoying the neighbourhood. I hope this vibrancy can keep growing and pushing west as it has been for the last few years.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 4:12 AM
BANNED

Infrastructure renewal (new, wider sidewalks, plenty of lighting, benches, planters, new streets) will make a huge difference. The potential of the area is amazing. It will be wonderful to see life in the Galpern Building soon.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quick update on the Sky II CRUs - the infamous coffee cup in the window is long gone. There is some sort of professional office open or very near open in the south CRU. It looks quite nice and is usually lit up at night which adds to the area.

The north CRU is papered up with a sign for Wink Studio Academy "coming soon" - a lash and brow beauty shop. They currently have another shop on Corydon.

So there, done - the coffee cup is gone and the CRUs have active businesses in them!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan