HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:17 AM
Meh

The real cold comes next week

Oh, crap.

From the Austin American-Statesman
http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...dup.html?imw=Y

CENTRAL TEXAS DIGEST
The real cold comes next week
Top headline goes here; next best goes here

Thursday, January 25, 2007

AUSTIN — The real cold comes next week

A series of Arctic blasts next week could plunge temperatures in Central Texas to the lowest in a decade, forecasters said Wednesday.

Lows could dip into the teens, with highs in the upper 20s and lower 30s, said Bob Rose, a meteorologist with the Lower Colorado River Authority.

"If this forecast works out, this will be pipe-busting-type cold," he said.

The chance of ice or precipitation is slight, KVUE meteorologist Mark Murray said.

"The big deal is going to be the cold," he said.

The fronts are expected to begin arriving Thursday and continue into the weekend.

Austin last dipped into the teens in 1996, when the temperature at the former Mueller airport dropped to 19. In December 1990, temperatures dipped to 15.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 12:18 PM

I am so sick of this cold. It's been in the stupid 30's or low 40's for two weeks now. Three months ago the very thought of an extended period of weather below 45 would have sent me into seizures. Now it's no big deal anymore. I think the part that concerns me the most is that I'm now getting used to it. My blood is thickening up for sure. Last winter I ran the heater I think twice. It's been on pretty much since the 12th.

Mcfoolio Perez on WOAI-4 in SA is saying that it will be downright tropical for the next week with daytime temps in the low 50's! If I wanted this kind of winter weather, I'd live in Ohio or something.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 1:35 PM

Get your cameras ready.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 1:47 PM

Hmmm...according to Weather.com, daytime highs aren't expected to dip below 50 degrees or so for the next 10 days. No sign of temperatures in the teens according to weather.com, but who knows. I am really hoping it doesn't get this cold, especially with any precipitation. I don't want to have to go through another regional shutdown like last weeks little ice storm brought us.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 12:45 AM
Spurs Fan in Mavs Land

I haven't heard about this cold snap. Jeez, if they're calling for the teens in Austin, Lord knows what it'll be up here in Denton County. We've already been in the teens this year a few times but usually do that every year. Guess this means single digits which hasn't happened since we hit 7 degrees one morning at my house about 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 1:14 AM

I guess you up there in the Metroplex will get more snow. When I was there last week, it snowed a bit and the roads got icy. Why don't they take care of the roads during the snow and ice. I am sure in Minneapolis or Chicago, no one would be slipping and sliding down the road as much.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:06 AM

I don't think they are equipped with the right equipment-- gravel/sand trucks, etc. Or not enough of them. The truth is, traffic is the best thing for icy roads (warms them up); but few people in TX have enough experience driving icy roads to drive safely, so most stay off the roads. Here in Bozeman, most people have 4 or all-wheel-drive (Subarus) to deal with the snow and ice. We have gravel trucks, but they usually only sand the intersections for traction for starting/stopping vehicles. Up here, you'd best have studded tires or chains; not common in TX

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:49 AM

I guess this isn't going to hit north central Texas. I've seen nothing from any forecast suggesting it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 5:59 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
I guess this isn't going to hit north central Texas. I've seen nothing from any forecast suggesting it.
TexasBoi posted this in another thread. It mentions the coldfronts.

http://headlines.accuweather.com/new...hg=1&article=2

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:44 PM

still nothing for North Central Texas. 1 day of a low of 29 with a windchill in the teens, but that's about it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 1:13 AM

Hmm. the weather channel isn't forecasting any severe cold the next 10 days. None of the local forecasters are either.

10 day forecast:

Forecast Conditions High/Low °F Precip.
Chance High Temperatures Low Temperatures Precipitation Wind Speed
Tonight
Jan 26 Showers Late
N/A/49° 40%

High not valid after 2pm
Sat
Jan 27 Partly Cloudy / Wind
68°/36° 20%
68°F

Sun
Jan 28 Sunny / Wind
55°/32° 10%
55°F

Mon
Jan 29 Mostly Cloudy
55°/42° 10%
55°F
Tue
Jan 30 Showers
55°/43° 40%
55°F

Wed
Jan 31 Few Showers
58°/47° 30%
58°F

Thu
Feb 1 Few Showers
62°/38° 30%
62°F

Fri
Feb 2 Partly Cloudy
56°/40° 10%
56°F

Sat
Feb 3 Sunny
58°/40° 10%
58°F

Sun
Feb 4 Showers
61°/34°

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 6:58 AM
Meh

Tonight on Fox7 Scott Fisher finally made a mention of this cold front. He echoed earlier statements that the highs would be in the upper 20s with lows in the teens, but he said the system is 10 to 12 days away. One model shows it heading a bit farther east and missing Texas, while another one shows Texas as a bullseye in the path of the system.

Go here to see a graphic showing two computer models:
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/09/99/66/image_5066999.jpg

Here's another article about it from the paper tomorrow.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...ont.html?imw=Y

Bitter weather might be headed Austin's way
Forecasters debating just how cold it will be.

By Patrick George
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Some of the coldest weather Austin has seen in a decade might be blowing through just in time for Super Bowl Sunday — or will it?

Local meteorologists disagree about whether an expected cold front next weekend will bring lows in the teens or just slightly lower than normal temperatures.

Starting this weekend, weather patterns across the Northern Hemisphere could change, creating a series of arctic cold fronts that might make things much colder in Austin, KVUE chief meteorologist Mark Murray said.

"We could spend one night in the teens around Super Bowl Sunday," Murray said. "If so, that would be the coldest it's been since 1996."

Such low temperatures would be in marked contrast to this weekend's highs in the 50s and 60s.

Murray said the fronts will affect a large portion of the United States, and clear skies mean that conditions won't be favorable for ice and snow despite the drop in temperature. Computer models predicted the front unusually far in advance, Murray said, making him confident of the forecast.

Forecaster Pat McDonald at the National Weather Service disagrees with the prediction, however, saying that temperatures in Canada and Alaska aren't cold enough to produce those types of arctic fronts.

"We need to see strong high pressure currents from Canada and snow across the country for it to get that cold, and I am not seeing those," McDonald said.

Instead, McDonald predicts temperatures to be just slightly lower than usual next weekend, with highs in the lower 40s and lows in the upper 20s.

Bob Rose, a meteorologist with the Lower Colorado River Authority, agrees with Murray's opinion, saying that warm weather in Alaska often pulls cold air from Siberia into the Western Hemisphere.

Rose said the highs for the coming week will be in the 50s and then drop into the 40s about Thursday, followed by highs in the 30s on Super Bowl Sunday with lows that night in the teens.

"We won't see much precipitation past Thursday, so it won't be as bad as last time," Rose said, referring to the icy spell Austin experienced last week.

John W. Nielsen-Gammon, a professor at Texas A&M's Department of Atmospheric Sciences, said forecasters often disagree on weather reports — despite using the same computer-generated models — for several reasons.

"Models can come with errors, and meteorologists may be skeptical if one forecast contrasts with historically what happened," Nielsen-Gammon said.

Feb. 4, 1996, was the last time temperatures dropped into the teens, Rose said.

Despite the conflicting forecasts, city officials are warning property owners to start preparing for freezing temperatures next week.

The city has advised residents to wrap pipes and put away garden hoses.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jan 27, 2007 at 7:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraeSlab713 View Post
I guess you up there in the Metroplex will get more snow. When I was there last week, it snowed a bit and the roads got icy. Why don't they take care of the roads during the snow and ice. I am sure in Minneapolis or Chicago, no one would be slipping and sliding down the road as much.
This has to do with the fact that we get more ice then snow. We had a few snow flurries a week or so ago. When you take into account the roads/groud were too warm to allow for the snow that did fall to stick, we had more freezing rain/ice then snow, and the bridges and overpasses would freeze; it can become a hazardous situation. I was just out in Amarillo last weekend for my friends wedding. It dropped close to a foot of snow from Friday night to Sat. night. It was easier to drive on then snow, (you do have to take it slow). Yes when snow melts and refreezes it becomes ice causing some black ice conditions. When its cold in these snowy places like Chicago they can plow much of the snow off the roads before it becomes too hazardous. You can not blow ice off the roads. Here in Dallas they use a series of enviromentally friendly melting chemicals and sand to de-ice the roads, bridges and over passes. I am still waiting for a real ice/snow storm to come through. Yes we did get some, but it pales in comparison to what we had back in the 80's. The media really made it out to be much worse then it was.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 3:54 AM

Another thing to remember is that forecasting any further out then about 4-5 days is a statical guess, usually based on historical records for the period and seasonal patterns. I think I read that the accuracy 8- 10 days out for the best models is 10-20%.

I just hope it doesn't get super cold. I hate that stuff.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 6:49 AM
Meh

Well it has been that cold around this time. The record lows for today and yesterday were in the teens, 19F yesterday, of course that is a 103 year old record.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well it has been that cold around this time. The record lows for today and yesterday were in the teens, 19F yesterday, of course that is a 103 year old record.
It could have been 20F 10 yeas ago and unless you looked at every year you wouldn't know it because it wasn't a record.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:50 PM
Spurs Fan in Mavs Land

There have been three episodes of ice/snow of varying degrees up here in suburban north areas of DFW. The media reported that the North Texas region of TXDOT had to send large quantities of the ice melt they use down to Austin and San Antonio during their last ice storm as their reserves were running very low. Now they say that the DFW region's reserve of ice melt is low up here and they may have to revert to using mostly sand if another winter weather event happens soon. Who knows..anyway, it seems as if this next proposed arctic front won't make it past the DFW region b/c highs on Superbowl Sunday in Austin and San Antonio are forecast to be in the mid to upper 50s. They're forecast to be in the upper 30s to near 40 up here.
The forecast as of now for the coming week:

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Calm wind becoming north northeast between 10 and 15 mph. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47. North northeast wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. North northeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming east southeast. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

Wednesday: A chance of rain and sleet, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 41. East southeast wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday Night: A chance of rain and snow possibly mixed with sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 33. East northeast wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Thursday: A 50 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 39. North northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. North northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Friday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 42. North northwest wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.

Saturday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 40.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.

Sunday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 39.

Who knows...this could all change again before the weekend even gets here which I'm sure could happen. I mean, this is the weather we're talking about and there's no sure fire way for accuracy this far out.

Last edited by Corinth940; Jan 29, 2007 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:04 AM

Personally, I think it's best you wait till next week before we worry about the weather. I try not to pay attention to such long predictions.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:08 PM
Meh

Well, here's a shocker! We did luck out, though, considering how cold it is up north. It was -11F this morning in Denver and -17 below in International Falls, Minnesota with a windchill there of -32F. Yikes. It was 15F in Amarillo this morning, too. This front just didn't come far enough south and it will actually move off to the east. I also recall hearing that Dallas and Fort Worth had sleet/snow yesterday. On another note, Punxsutawney phil didn't see his shadow, which if you're suspicious, suggests that Spring is just around the corner.

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../03/3cold.html

Weather will not get as cold as anticipated
Dallas sees some snow; Austin still expects below-freezing temperatures Saturday morning.

By Isadora Vail
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, February 02, 2007

The big cold front this weekend isn't going to be as cold as anticipated, meteorologists are saying, even though the system blew in 12 hours early.

Last week's predictions for this weekend's weather — lows in the teens and some of the coldest temperatures in years — have given way to a milder forecast of highs in the 50s or 60s and lows in the 30s.

Still, the temperature is expected to drop below freezing early Saturday morning.

"This arctic air is just an extremely unusual weather pattern. It is something I haven't seen very often," said Mark Murray, chief meteorologist for KVUE. "I think the weather has been toying with us the past week or so."

Murray said the cold front will move in tonight and temperatures will hover around freezing on Saturday and Sunday nights.

Murray is predicting a high of 50 degrees on Saturday and 55 on Sunday. The National Weather Service is predicting highs in the mid-50s to lower 60s both days, but said no freezing weather is anticipated.

So what happened to the huge arctic blast?

Murray said it was a couple of things. Canada — where the cold front is coming from — is experiencing warmer weather than anticipated, and prevailing winds blew the cold front farther east of Austin than expected.

Dallas did see a little bit of snow today, said Pat McDonald of the National Weather Service, but Austin is not expected to see any precipitation. He said the forecast looks pleasant for the next four to five days — sunny and in the upper 50s to mid-60s — after the cold front has blown through Saturday afternoon.

"This is all arctic air; it is just warmer than we had anticipated," Murray said.

Bob Fogarty, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service, said the front "isn't as strong as we thought as it came closer. When it was further out, it looked a lot bigger and stronger."

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:16 PM

you can finally yank this post. please. for the love of God.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin