HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 7:28 PM

Question on 360 in Austin

OK so I have been reading up on your posts for a few months now, and have come to the conclusion that you guys might be the best people to ask. I recently moved out of the 404 rio grande and am looking to buy a two bedroom condo at the 360. Considering the direction the building is facing, and future developments; do you guys think a east view with the skyline is superior to a west view? Also what floor would you recomend since some of you guys have been on top of most of the buildings? My ideal view would be some skyline and some lake, I just dont know if the 360 will have too many of those.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 9:10 PM

looking east is dangerous if you intend on living there for a long time. i would imagine that the state parking garage will flip in the future, and the post office redevelopment will definately weigh heavily on your view looking northeast.

i would look west/southwest if i had the choice. river. sunsets. zilker. the developments in between you and these views will be less than 20 stories in most respects. spring will block a little bit of your view directly west towards clarksville, but it won't be very substantial.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 10:12 PM

I will keep that garage in mind if I do decide to get a place facing the east (probably get one 20th floor or higher). Now considering those facing the west do you think the seaholm project/hotel will obstruct the views much?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 10:33 PM
the air is great up here

Personally, I wouldn't think of the Seaholm development or Spring, or any other skyscraper to come as "obstructing" views. More like "enhancing," if you're as excited about all these buildings as I think most of us are. Even if I were living at Austin City Lofts, facing south, and the new Monarch blocked part of my view, I'd definitely be glad it's there. It's all part of living in a vibrant, growing city. Besides, think of the voyeuristic possibilities... ;-)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad707 View Post
looking east is dangerous if you intend on living there for a long time. i would imagine that the state parking garage will flip in the future, and the post office redevelopment will definately weigh heavily on your view looking northeast.
Do you think there is a possibility the state garage would come down? What about the water chiller that it supports? Seems like a significant undertaking and expense to rebuild it somewhere else.

I lived in 404 on the west side directly facing the Monarch. I can tell you this much, the sun coming in during the evening really puts a damper on your living style. I found myself shutting blinds and avoiding the patio because there was just too much sun. In a condo, I'm sure they will put in solar shades, tinted windows and make the environment more comfortable, but directly west is always something to be cautious of. If you go straight south, I can't imagine anything in your way, because the trail and creek will always be there. Not much could be built there. Of course you wouldn't have a view of downtown. I think 404 Rio Grande is in a Capital corridor view, so nothing should get built there. So are the new banks being built on that corner. So I'm thinking that view should be protected as well.

Last edited by JAM; Dec 14, 2006 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 12:46 AM

That is funny I was facing the Monarch too. You are right about the intense light that would come in the apartment, it was especially bad at my place because of the huge windows (two story unit). So does anyone have an exact date of when the sales office will open for the 360, and any clue on pricing besides starting around $300,000?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato79 View Post
That is funny I was facing the Monarch too. You are right about the intense light that would come in the apartment, it was especially bad at my place because of the huge windows (two story unit). So does anyone have an exact date of when the sales office will open for the 360, and any clue on pricing besides starting around $300,000?
You can probably use a rough estimate of $275-$475 per sq. ft depending on floor, view and how early you sign commit.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 1:37 AM

I live in a southwest facing condo (7th floor).... it is killer without shades for a bit of the day..... but the rest of the day, especially sunset here is worth it!

I think the end/corner units will be the best.... S, SW, SE......personally....(but I think the N, NW, would be cool as well). I too agree that someday the state parking garage will go.... but no time soon, To the west don't forget about the city building that there has been talk about selling as well...... but I just that just depends on how long you plan to stay.

Another thought.... be aware of how high up you want to live. I find there is a balance between getting away from traffic nosie..... having a view.... and loosing the impact of trees (even though you can see them in the distance)..... might be of use to spend some time in other hightrises and see how removed from the land you want to be!

good luck!

BTW.... what do you think of the groundplans's?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 3:55 PM

I think all the floorplans are nice B1 is the only exception because of its small size. I am just hoping there will be lots of two bedroom units for under $350,000 when it is all said and done.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 5:44 PM
Meh

I'd say South/Southwest. Maybe a corner unit about 250 to 300 feet up, say the 25th floor or so floor. Think of the views, the river, the hills, greenery, Shoal Creek, some other highrises in view. You'd see Zilker Park, so you'd see the Zilker Christmas Tree, Trail of Lights, kite contest. Again, the river, and you'd probably be able to see the 4th of July fireworks display if you had a window looking south. If you're all about vast views, (of nature and the like), then I'd say that direction. As rad707 said, looking east would be risky. You've got a lot more empty parking lots that have towers slated for them than if you were looking south. Whatever is built near the river probably won't be very tall. Even the library tower probably won't be all that large. Then you have the Seaholm site, which looks to be about 275 feet, but it's skinny. The rest of that block is all lowrise. Spring would be the one building of major height, (for now), that would block the view, but it's going to be very skinny.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 11:58 PM
Member since 2001

If you want Town Lake and some skyline in your view, I'd say a corner unit, facing SE and above the 20th floor... Nonetheless, remember that in Austin, south and west facing units will require the most energy in cooling during the warmer months of the year!

Otherwise, I'd say an east facing unit above the 30th floor. You'll get more skyline and less lake, however.

SW and west would be pretty, but you'll have to contend with the setting sun as well as little to no "skyline" in your view.

NW & NE - you'll have to flatten your face up against the window and look south to see any lake.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 2:49 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I am now favoring south/southwest view, hopefully the price will fit my budget.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin