HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:31 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm generally happy with this building. Aesthetically, it's not great. On the upper portion, the brick and blue metal are fine but the black metal at the corners and the cast-stone cornice on the base just makes it look like building-material salad, too many ingredients and no cohesiveness.

But the building is a ton of density just one block south of the Blue Line, and it provides a public restroom and access point to the 606. So in my book, it's good infill...
Yeah, if it was all black metal and no brick it would look a lot more cohesive, I think.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:57 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

On the Forgotten Chicago FB Group, somebody posted that 1329 N Clyborn is being demolished today.

Does anybody know what the plans are for this big greenfield adjacent to the next phase of the Cabrini Green replacement?

Last edited by Klippenstein; Feb 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM. Reason: Not a brownfield

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 6:16 PM

1329 N Clybourn is not a part of the Cabrini-Green redevelopment plan, but the giant lot surrounding the building is

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 7:25 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
1329 N Clybourn is not a part of the Cabrini-Green redevelopment plan, but the giant lot surrounding the building is
Thanks. I just looked at the master plan and I see what you are saying. There is a wedge from the corner to this property that is exempted. So if it is not part of the larger development why would this building be demolished? That’s pretty maddening in my opinion. I guess somebody is planning for more density here.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:

Thrive Englewood | 61 units
So is this the same development or a different building proposed for the same area?

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/e...t-halsted-61st

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:19 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Thanks. I just looked at the master plan and I see what you are saying. There is a wedge from the corner to this property that is exempted. So if it is not part of the larger development why would this building be demolished? That’s pretty maddening in my opinion. I guess somebody is planning for more density here.
Not sure. The property carries a Manufacturing zoning, so nobody can build housing here (including CHA) unless Ald. Burnett agrees to a zoning change.

Given that the surrounding property is part of the Cabrini master plan, and has been owned by the CHA since 2012, I'm guessing this demo is connected. It's possible that CHA or their partner developer cut a deal with the absentee owner of this building to buy the land and assemble a larger, more usable site here. We've seen the thinking on the Cabrini project shift from townhouses and 3-flats toward larger mid-rise buildings, so having a wedge cut out of the corner of this site is not ideal for a bulkier midrise.

Or the absentee owner agreed to sell to another private developer, and he/she is proactively tearing down the historic building so it isn't a stumbling block to getting a zoning change.

For what it's worth, this building was given only a green rating in the Chicago Historic Resources Survey. Green basically means "pre-1940 and only lightly altered", it does not indicate any kind of exceptional historic value.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofneighborhoods View Post
As someone who drives through that intersection on 43rd every day, it’s hard to overstate how transformative to the area Phase 1 + Phase 2 will be. Finding ways to get The Forum renovation fully funded will hopefully become a priority and then this area becomes a destination
The Forum coming back as a legitimate venue for various things I think is super important for that neighborhood. Ultimately people live in an area for many reasons, but these sorts of things just make it be more of an attractive neighborhood. And a little bit east on 43rd on Cottage Grove, it's cool to know that there's been those sorts of things opening there too (new eateries, shops, etc) and some new housing too.

Slow momentum but I hope that momentum really picks up for this area. I think it will - it's only a matter of time before it really pops . Yes, population did increase there last decade but the growth of retail, commercial, etc businesses there has been slower to come.

Really crossing my fingers - there's no reason it can't happen soon and for momentum to really explode.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
So is this the same development or a different building proposed for the same area?

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/e...t-halsted-61st
Different, this on 63rd was one the sites for Englewood Invest South/West. The one on 61st & Halsted received LIHTC funding two years ago

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 10:13 PM

Big Deahl (Dayton & Kingsbury)

Feb 10

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 12:38 AM

Plumbers Parking

Feb 10

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Feb 10

This thing really is a beast.. pretty ugly.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 1:46 PM

^I suppose it is somewhat appropriate that the plumber's garage is inspired by the hues of shit and piss...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 2:08 PM
The City

^ A garage there is needed

Most Chicagoans choose to drive, just admit it

The West Loop, in addition to better transit access, could use a public garage or two. This is all part of the argument that "infrastructure needs to be improved if we are going to allow this neighborhood to grow".

If we want Crains and the rest of the NIMBYs to shut up and allow more highrises, then we need it all: traffic lights, bus service, perhaps a Metra stop, L stops, Divvy bike sharing stations, and yes.....the EVIL parking garages that so many of you say that you hate but you still use anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Does anybody have an excel sheet or updated count of how many units are in the pipeline (proposed, active, under construction) for Chicago?

Curious also on how much commercial sq-footage is slated or presently active.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:13 PM

I did one for downtown a few pages back:

Quote:
Now that I finally have time, here's my take on downtown's expected unit count over the next decade. To estimate this, first let's consider all the proposed & U/C units we know of thanks to this map from a forumer: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...638113428&z=14

The Loop
Here I'll consider the community area, which stretches down to Roosevelt. The area's underlying zoning allows for incredibly dense buildings, which is excellent since there aren't many developable sites left. 1000M and 525 S Wabash are examples, which each having +700 units. There have also been several office-to-residential conversions. As firms continue to relocate along the river and West Loop, there's huge potential for a lot of Class C and B office buildings to be converted to residential uses. Lakeshore East and Riverline/Southbank are expected to wrap up construction this decade. In total: ~7,800 new units

West Loop
So West Loop, especially Fulton Market, has been on fire. For all the units proposed and under construction in just the last 2 years, we arrive at over 11k new units! About 7k of which is in Fulton Market. The funny thing is I might still be missing a proposal or two, since there's so much activity in the area. For an area with almost no residential suddenly approaching extreme densities, the only other precedent I can think of in the US is LIC or downtown Jersey City. In total for the past two years: ~11,700 units!

Near South Side
This is a weird one since most of the planned units are in mega-developments (the 78 and One Central), which have massive uncertainties in financing and multi-year construction phases. So anywhere from 0 to 20k units could be built this decade. Let's take the low estimate that only the 78 is financed and they only build 5k units this decade. We also have projects such as the Harold Ickes redevelopment which is moving along, and NEMA phase 2 & 3 which is purely hypothetical. Taking all these together, the rough estimate is: ~7,500 units

Near North Side + River West
For anyone thinking there isn't enough activity in the northern part of downtown, you'd be mistaken. North Union, Halsted Point, Old Town Park, and the River District are mega-developments that are extending the skyline. Current plans for Cabrini-Green redevelopment places around ~3k new units. Dense developments such as WPE and One Chicago have opened, with several such as Tribune East and 400 N LSD possibly starting soon. The area around North/Clybourn has several new developments. I could keep going on, but the summary is there's a lot of activity going on. As of now, the area is expected to gain: ~20,100 units!

Since the avg houshold size across downtown varies from 1.5 to 2.0 people, let's assume 1.75 ppl/hhold. 47,100 units x 1.75 ppl/hhold = ~82,500 new residents!

Do note, we are only two years into the 2020s and we are able to forecast ~82k new residents by the end of the decade. The next 8 years could easily double or even triple this number.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Ah perfect! Thanks Randomguy34. On a side note, I got to get into the habit of scrolling back more.

Seems like for the last 10 years, the West Loop has been a key driver of units. The change has been dramatic in the last 10 years from what I've noted (comparisons of the area).

Good to see River West. Shame the Chicago Tribune distribution center can't move. That whole area seems ripe for new development. Almost mirroring in a parallel fashion what is present on North Larrabee.

Although one thing is how centralized all of these units seem to be relative to the total city limits allocation. Hopefully unit counts above 3k in other nodes.

An average of 8k/yr would seem feasible I'd imagine if we are talking a decade.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Good to see River West. Shame the Chicago Tribune distribution center can't move. That whole area seems ripe for new development. Almost mirroring in a parallel fashion what is present on North Larrabee.
There was this redevelopment plan for the distribution center. It is now almost 5 years old, and was made specifically for the Amazon HQ2 shitshow, so I'm not sure how relevant it is anymore.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That would of been great; 9 million square feet of both commercial and residential space spread across 18 buildings.

Although they referenced 25% for parking, of the parcel size. But I think it shows the potential!

I think overtime this whole area would be developed. I can't see print media being sustainable or feasible overtime given how a lot of papers are switching to digital. This specific area is a gold mine IMO.

Even so, worst case, a sort of conversion. An 800k sq-ft distribution center situated in a prime area. River proximity, good market value from a long-term outlook in what looks like a blossoming node.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That would of been great; 9 million square feet of both commercial and residential space spread across 18 buildings.

Although they referenced 25% for parking, of the parcel size. But I think it shows the potential!

I think overtime this whole area would be developed. I can't see print media being sustainable or feasible overtime given how a lot of papers are switching to digital. This specific area is a gold mine IMO.

Even so, worst case, a sort of conversion. An 800k sq-ft distribution center situated in a prime area. River proximity, good market value from a long-term outlook in what looks like a blossoming node.
Plus Midwest Performance Cars is nearby, so if you want to get a new intake installed in your Wiestec tuned S class before you race me, you've got the opportunity

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ A garage there is needed

Most Chicagoans choose to drive, just admit it

The West Loop, in addition to better transit access, could use a public garage or two. This is all part of the argument that "infrastructure needs to be improved if we are going to allow this neighborhood to grow".

If we want Crains and the rest of the NIMBYs to shut up and allow more highrises, then we need it all: traffic lights, bus service, perhaps a Metra stop, L stops, Divvy bike sharing stations, and yes.....the EVIL parking garages that so many of you say that you hate but you still use anyway!
BTW, TUP, I have don't have a big problem with the parking garage at that location... rather it's design... thought that would be clear from my post...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development