HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
November 1, 2017

The nearby structure has gotten quite colorful over time.
That structure will be incorporated into the redevelopment. I don't remember seeing this one here, which is surprising considering its location by 1k fulton, its staircase design and the fact that it will be built on spec. Here is a recent article since its not covered in Curbed guide to West Loop development, apologies if this is old news:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...hman-wakefield

Perhaps somebody could pull the renderings and post them?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Dollars (tax bases) don't vote, people do.

I wonder if it would be possible to create an education 501(c)3, get funding from developers and then send post cards and other "educational materials" to voters accusing Rosa of secretly driving prices up by limiting supply, and get him removed by voters? Prrices are bound to go up anyway, because the area is so popular, so plastering the cause on him might be effective.
501c3 isn't the right structure, but trust me, the sharks smell blood in the water and are already circling after his staff chummed the waters with the string of racist and anti journalist gaffes this last week.

I meant how easy is he going to make it? First one staffer complains white people are moving in at a public meeting with like 200 people in attendance, then his chief of staff celebrates DNAinfo going under also criticizing all DNAinfo reporters as white trust fund babies from the suburbs. This of course despite the fact that DNA was shut down because they unionized, something Rosa is supposed to be radically in favor of.

The Rosa was asked to issue a statement getting ahead of these scandals and his statement literally just consists of him repremanding the Ricketts and holding them "accountable" for union busting. Talk about tone deaf, he literally doesn't get it. No one is mad because you didn't chew the Ricketts out, they are mad because you keep making racist statements and then harassing people who were just laid off 24 hours earlier by text saying things like "why don't you stop worrying about me and start worrying about finding a job".

They will run Rosa through with this amateur nonsense in the next election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I wonder how much Chicago’s growth patterns depend on which Alderman is in a certain ward at the right time? For example, could the boom of the West Loop into a secondary economic and entertainment hub be attributed by future generations to the fact that it had an Alderman who was permissive to development? Had the West Loop been served by more of a Reilly kind of character, would it have ever shaped into what it is now becoming?
The West Loop is actually developing like it is because they sliced and diced it in the lat redistricting. It's now split into a bunch if different wards where the main constituency is not living in the West Loop so the Alderman don't give a shit about the NIMBY hordes.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 4:35 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The West Loop is actually developing like it is because they sliced and diced it in the lat redistricting. It's now split into a bunch if different wards where the main constituency is not living in the West Loop so the Alderman don't give a shit about the NIMBY hordes.
I always thought that the fractured and messy appearance of Chicago's wards was an issue that should be rectified, with more centralized boundaries that tended to include entire neighborhoods instead of portions of a half a dozen.

But screw it, this seems to be working in our favor, when looking from a development standpoint. As you mentioned with the nature of the West Loop and all its booming construction, there's also projects like One Chicago Square which has a good chance of not getting downzoned since its in one of the tendrils of 2nd Ward.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:09 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I wonder how much Chicago’s growth patterns depend on which Alderman is in a certain ward at the right time? For example, could the boom of the West Loop into a secondary economic and entertainment hub be attributed by future generations to the fact that it had an Alderman who was permissive to development? Had the West Loop been served by more of a Reilly kind of character, would it have ever shaped into what it is now becoming?
River North absolutely became River North because of Burton Natarus serving from 1971 to 2007. If Reilly or someone like Reilly had taken over prior to 2001, I don't know what would have happened, but I'm pretty sure River North wouldn't be anything like it is now. Of course the reason the early-2000s towers in River North are all beige is that Natarus didn't really push back at all, so while he enabled the density, the aesthetics suffered.

I'm sure we'd all prefer aldermen who welcomed density but wielded their veto power just enough to nudge developers into better architectural standards. Or, you know, had a true planning department that actually planned and actually had the power instead of the aldermen.

But as things stand and have stood for decades, how or even if areas develop is very much impacted by who is alderman.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:57 PM

^^ agree

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 11:24 PM
1st Ward

Right across the street from Big Shitty? Yeah, that's bound to become a high volume location lol

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:04 AM

Uptown TOD

Another 9 story TOD proposed for vacant Uptown lot as part of the Stewart School redevelopment project.

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2017/11/...for-south.html

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
The Taco Bell in Wrigley is closing, but they're opening a new location in Lakeview at 962 W. Belmont.

Maybe it's a Taco Bell Cantina?

Link to current restaurant at this location
So they're replacing what looks like it might be a half decent BBQ restaurant with a dog food chain? What the fuck?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
So they're replacing what looks like it might be a half decent BBQ restaurant with a dog food chain? What the fuck?
Who is they? People who own a Taco Bell franchise who want to go in there because it's vacant and a landlord that knows it's money?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeviewer View Post
Uptown TOD

Another 9 story TOD proposed for vacant Uptown lot as part of the Stewart School redevelopment project.

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2017/11/...for-south.html
A shame that hotel was bulldozed a long time ago. But the proposed TOD sounds great.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:38 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I'm curious how Blackwood is doing, they have four other locations serving the office crowd around the loop. This is their only non-downtown store.

That spot was Capri Pizza up until 2011 when Einstein Bagels moved in, then they closed sometime around 2015 and it sat vacant for almost a year, then Blackwood moved in last year.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:57 PM
The City

I always liked Pizza Capri

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
A shame that hotel was bulldozed a long time ago. But the proposed TOD sounds great.
This would be great! Hopefully those developments proposed on Wilson happen, as well. They seem to be going nowhere fast - I wonder if they're having a hard time securing financing. Most banks are cutting back on multifamily, and I don't think any of the big ones would really consider market rate apartments in that area.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think it is Nichiha Illumination Panel.

http://www.nichiha.com/commercial/detail/illumination

I really like the CA Washington buildings too. Belgravia has built a series of these buildings in West Loop with essentially the same basic template, but they've really evolved and improved since the first CA building, really squeezing every last cent out of the basic design. Looks like they've invested the savings back into nicer cladding that sets them apart from the competition.
really? I think they are FUGLY with a capital F

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
This would be great! Hopefully those developments proposed on Wilson happen, as well. They seem to be going nowhere fast - I wonder if they're having a hard time securing financing. Most banks are cutting back on multifamily, and I don't think any of the big ones would really consider market rate apartments in that area.
What developments are going nowhere?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What developments are going nowhere?
The one on Broadway / Wilson (currently City Sports) and the one planned on Wilson for the parking lot next to that old bank (I think by Cedar Street / FLATS). The Clayco development at Wilson / Sheridan just got approval back in September, so hopefully that'll continue to move forward.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:26 PM

4601 N Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
The one on Broadway / Wilson (currently City Sports) and the one planned on Wilson for the parking lot next to that old bank (I think by Cedar Street / FLATS). The Clayco development at Wilson / Sheridan just got approval back in September, so hopefully that'll continue to move forward.
4601 N Broadway received all necessary approvals, I heard ground breaking Spring 2018.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeviewer View Post
4601 N Broadway received all necessary approvals, I heard ground breaking Spring 2018.
It's been approved for a while, but the developer's track record is less than stellar, and he's been silent about when construction will actually begin.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 10:31 PM

The BOA at Clark/Fullerton is closing at the end of February. The place next to it, formerly Ponzu Sushi, is also vacant now. I wonder if they could build up a bit at that location. Or at the very least get some better retail to hold the intersection.

The Standard Market at the NW side of the intersection also recently closed.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 11:22 PM

Interesting development: The city started a pilot program to allow things like PEX and underground PVC. I guess Barcelona Housing Systems is pushing them on it because the way we do things now is totally in-congruent with their business model. You still have to send in a bunch of extra paperwork to be allowed to do it, but hopefully this means more meaningful and permanent building code reform is on the way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development