Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:02 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S MTL View Post
a friend sent this to me..

Many of these are approved and some are under construction

Love it thanks for sharing G.S.

Of course...it omits the dozen or so Griffintown towers going up. They will also have a great impact from this view.

(And Altitude and TOM are missin )

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Apr 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

substantial changes for sure.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:34 PM
ARTchitecture

Awesome changes in store for Montreal even kindof giving a pinnacle to the skyline around 1250 as well!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 12:34 AM

You don't often see future renders for Montreal, it's nice to see one. There are certainly some big changes on the horizon in the city over the coming 5 years. As I've mentioned before though, the real beauty of Montreal is on street level, the vibe you get while on foot/bike in the city. In that sense, nothing comes close in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 4:14 AM
MTL♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
You don't often see future renders for Montreal, it's nice to see one. There are certainly some big changes on the horizon in the city over the coming 5 years. As I've mentioned before though, the real beauty of Montreal is on street level, the vibe you get while on foot/bike in the city. In that sense, nothing comes close in Canada.
you said it!!!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:14 PM
Project manger

I have a suggestion, its not a shot at Montreal by any means, but I would suggest using only summer time shots as the city doesn't look its best in Fall or Winter.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 8:25 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

A rendering of Hamilton I'm working on. Green is under construction, blue is proposed. Everything else exists. I still have a fair number of buildings left to add, but I've got all the major proposals and construction projects in at this stage and I'm not sure how clear they'll be later, so I thought I would post.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 8:38 PM
gettin' rich!

I ALREADY said the Montreal future rendering is amazing.

It has a London look to it!.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 8:41 PM
ARTchitecture

The Hamilton one looks great! Maybe just lighten up the green so it's a bit more noticeable

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 8:54 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The Hamilton one looks great! Maybe just lighten up the green so it's a bit more noticeable
I was trying to use the colour from the maps on this website, but I do agree it's a bit hard to see. If I remember when I'm working on it again I'll lighten it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Cool, thanks!
Is the Carmen Hotel proposal in that one? Or not cause they haven't selected a definite location yet...

Edit! now that I'm back on my laptop, the green is much more noticeable than my office comp.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Apr 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:59 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Cool, thanks!
Is the Carmen Hotel proposal in that one? Or not cause they haven't selected a definite location yet...

Edit! now that I'm back on my laptop, the green is much more noticeable than my office comp.
Yes, I put it at it's most likely location. It's the ony peaking up from the middle of the skyline. It seems a bit too fat, but it's all very vague.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

Looks great. The Connaught project would have a real impact to the skyline, almost two separate skylines, one on the East and West. Hopefully phase 2 of Lister Block project will help fill in the Gore Park area gap.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 3:30 AM
ARTchitecture

So carmen's isn't going to be very tall anymore than?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Height hasn't changed, it'll still be a new tallest for the city. It might just be the way Beedok's picture is angled and the location of the building that makes it look shorter.

BTW, render looks awesome Beedok

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:22 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

I'm definitely glad to see all the construction and I'm sure it'll improve the street level atmosphere. But honestly they don't seem to improve the skyline, at least from that angle. Yes, Montreal needs infill, but it would also be nice to see the skyline expanded either in terms of height or land area.

Make Les Jardins de Babylone and the Quartier des spectacles office tower 200m and that would improve the skyline from that angle significantly imo.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I'm definitely glad to see all the construction and I'm sure it'll improve the street level atmosphere. But honestly they don't seem to improve the skyline, at least from that angle. Yes, Montreal needs infill, but it would also be nice to see the skyline expanded either in terms of height or land area.

Make Les Jardins de Babylone and the Quartier des spectacles office tower 200m and that would improve the skyline from that angle significantly imo.
As much as I like skyscrapers, I don't think one should plan a city with the skyline in mind. Skyline fascinates us on this forum, but it is very low on any serious urbanist's list of things that improves on the quality of life of a city. And so it should. Montreal doesn't need to expand its skyline, neither in terms of height or land area. Montreal needs inteligent, well planned, densification, with mostly human scale developpements. The real problem of Montreal is its destructured urban fabric here and there. Too many old contaminated land, too many surface parkings lot. Getting rid of them and using the land to enriched the urban fabric is much, much more important than the skyline.

I know I won't make any friends by saying that, but I think that Toronto would be better off now if it had build tons of midrises everywhere instead of very high towers.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Apr 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:47 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Height hasn't changed, it'll still be a new tallest for the city. It might just be the way Beedok's picture is angled and the location of the building that makes it look shorter.
It is sort of behing everything by a fair bit. It also seems that while working on the roof angle system I accidental shortened it ten metres. (oops)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
BTW, render looks awesome Beedok
Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
As much as I like skyscrapers, I don't think one should plan a city with the skyline in mind. Skyline fascinates us on this forum, but it is very low on any serious urbanist's list of things that improves on the quality of life of a city. And so it should. Montreal doesn't need to expand its skyline, neither in terms of height or land area. Montreal needs inteligent, well planned, densification, with mostly human scale developpements. The real problem of Montreal is its destructured urban fabric here and there. Too many old contaminated land, too many surface parkings lot. Getting rid of them and using the land to enriched the urban fabric is much, much more important than the skyline.

I know I won't make any friends by saying that, but I think that Toronto would be bett nkow if it had build tons of midrises eerywhere instead of very high towrs.
Very well said. I'm glad that Montreal is focusing on infill. Even though many of the upcoming developments are mid-rises, many of them are very nicely designed.

And in terms of Toronto, I think I agree with your opinion. Perhaps Toronto's condo market would have been sustained for a much longer duration with fewer high-rises and more mid-rises. Of course there is still a steady pace of high-rise condo proposals for the downtown, but I anticipate a sharp slowdown soon.

(BTW: I do not WISH for a drop in high-rise construction in Toronto. It has been so much fun watching the downtown EXPLODE with new developments over the last decade.)

I could be wrong. We'll eventually find out what will become of the city's market, as sales are very likely to continue declining. Prices will begin falling at some point -- and I wonder just how far they'll fall?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:48 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post

I know I won't make any friends by saying that, but I think that Toronto would be bett nkow if it had build tons of midrises eerywhere instead of very high towrs.
It isn't so much a matter of it "fascinating" us; we're in a future skyline thread looking at renders of a future skyline, so that's the topic the thread is intended to be discussing. Whether or not Montreal "should" be building more skyscrapers is a somewhat tangential issue.

Besides, architecture is definitely an important issue to many serious urbanists, whether or not it improves the quality of life (if we only worried about practical quality of life issues our cities wouldn't be terribly interesting). And architectural aesthetics can be affected by a building's scale and proportions. It's one of the reasons I find downtown Toronto more appealing than downtown Montreal at street level. And personally, I see no reason why a few of the buildings that are filling empty lots can't also be a bit taller at the same time. Other than the height restrictions, there's no compelling reason that the downtown can't or shouldn't have both.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada