HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:05 PM

The thing that stands out to me from all the examples posted above (LOVE the first one from Boise, btw) is that all these cities seem to know what they are and butter their bread appropriately. Look... they're all vibrant, beautiful, functional, and fully-leased areas and they're all 1-2 storey buildings spread out over a large area. They realize the size of their town (similar to WPG) and build appropriately to match that.

I'd take 2-storey buildings with CRUs on every open lot in downtown Winnipeg over any of the planned towers at this stage. Once every lot is full, then it becomes more viable/attractive/necessary to replace some of the poorer spots/buildings with newer, bigger developments and towers.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:35 PM

Moved the political discussion over to the :

The Manitoba Provincial Politics Discussion Thread. Thanks

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 1:23 AM

Updated pics from dusk

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:56 PM

..Update on progress..4th level of the parkade is well underway.

Source

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 12:47 AM

So this may not mean much, but the construction site hasn't really been active since the week before Christmas. There have been a few cars on some days but no real work being done. I also heard from a friend who purchased a unit that they received a letter saying the occupancy date has been pushed to 2017 now. Given that they've repeatedly pushed back their deadline, and don't appear to be able to give anything that resembles an accurate timeline, I wonder if it'll even be ready by 2018 at this rate.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 2:48 AM

Occupancy for 2017/18 seems realistic, certainly sucks for the purchasers/investors. Hope for the best for D-Condo as a whole though, important for this facility to do well on Assiniboine and I think it will finish but ya the delays are a concern.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 5:48 AM
What could go wrong?

Thier plan is to now halt construction until March and then start up again. Trying to save on heating and hoarding I guess.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Thier plan is to now halt construction until March and then start up again. Trying to save on heating and hoarding I guess.
Seriously, what developer in their right mind (and financing) stops in the middle of construction??? Especially given the mild winter so far. I guess they'll stop again in the summer when mosquito season starts up?

I agree that this project needs to succeed but with the ineptitude of the developer, it doesn't hold out much promise.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 7:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueasajewel View Post
Seriously, what developer in their right mind (and financing) stops in the middle of construction??? Especially given the mild winter so far. I guess they'll stop again in the summer when mosquito season starts up?

I agree that this project needs to succeed but with the ineptitude of the developer, it doesn't hold out much promise.
I guess I should have clarified, stopping the vertical construction till March. They are apparently trying to finish the interior of the parkade in the mean time.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I guess I should have clarified, stopping the vertical construction till March. They are apparently trying to finish the interior of the parkade in the mean time.
If they are working on the interior, they're doing it with only a few workers and it's the quietest construction work ever...the site is normally empty by the time I get home from work (around 4:30pm) and there is never more than 1 or 2 vehicles on site throughout the day. I could be wrong, of course, but from my window, they have slowed drastically since December.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 10:35 PM

I can say this my boss won a contract wont say what trade i work in but they told him to postpone making a print and everything 2 months ago so i can say this project is in the air

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
I can say this my boss won a contract wont say what trade i work in but they told him to postpone making a print and everything 2 months ago so i can say this project is in the air
So maybe we just get a parkade

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 7:04 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueasajewel View Post

The apartment building just completed on River in Osborne Village stopped construction during the winter. Pretty bizarre

Don't those cranes cost a fortune to have on site?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 7:38 AM

lol on river it didnt stop that 4 story right? They forgot to put a elevator in since they didnt know if it was supposed to be handicap accessable. interior on the 3rd and 4th floor are done they had to apply for a diffrent zoning permit because now half the first lvl will be office and the rest residential

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The apartment building just completed on River in Osborne Village stopped construction during the winter. Pretty bizarre

Don't those cranes cost a fortune to have on site?
Didn't the Glasshouse condo project on Hargrave also shut down for a few months in the Winter last year to save on heating and hording costs?

Maybe its a new trend to shutdown when the cost of propane gets high.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
lol on river it didnt stop that 4 story right? They forgot to put a elevator in since they didnt know if it was supposed to be handicap accessable. interior on the 3rd and 4th floor are done they had to apply for a diffrent zoning permit because now half the first lvl will be office and the rest residential
My understanding is work stopped on this project because the building has been sold to a group requiring special needs work - apparently now waiting for info from the purchaser to complete the modifications.

It's admittedly taking a protracted amount of time.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Didn't the Glasshouse condo project on Hargrave also shut down for a few months in the Winter last year to save on heating and hording costs?

Maybe its a new trend to shutdown when the cost of propane gets high.
Glasshouse did not shut down during winter construction. They erected a massive amount of hoarding to allow heating and protection of the building as the construction of the core continued.

Again, once construction starts on these buildings any normal developer will push as hard as possible to complete and minimize the loan interest clock.

The behaviour of the d developer is simply bizarre and points to a singular issue in my mind - lack of financing.

I would be surprised if they have a building permit beyond the garage.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 3:20 PM

Having dealt with Sandhu before, nothing out of the ordinary surprises me. Did they hire a reputable GC to build this tower? Unlikely.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 3:49 PM

^ Very perplexing approach by Sandhu. Although you have to wonder, if there was any uncertainty about the rest of the project, why go to the trouble and expense of getting a crane and building the base?

I wonder how the people who have put money down feel about this? I have to say, given all the negative stories I've heard from people who pre-bought units in condo blocks, I honestly wonder if it's EVER a good idea, at least in this city. As much as I'd love to see more condo towers rise, I certainly wouldn't plunk down the cash for a unit in a building that isn't finished, especially if I actually intended to live in it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 4:03 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I guess if nothing else, they will end up with a viable parkade...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan