HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
So did building inspectors just look the other way on this one because it was for the Blue Bombers.....
They were fair. IGF operated on a temporary occupancy permit for a long time. There haven't been events in the winter as far as I know that would have brought weatherization under scrutiny.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 3:33 PM

Can someone refresh me on what Manitoba building code says about how many steps in a sequence before you require a railing?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 3:42 PM

^ Seems I can't view images on SSP anymore. Anyone else having issues or ideas why?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Can someone refresh me on what Manitoba building code says about how many steps in a sequence before you require a railing?
It is a National Code. I know for dwelling units it is either 2 or 3 risers (indoor, outdoor respectively). I believe for commercial building all steps need a rail.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 4:59 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
It is a National Code. I know for dwelling units it is either 2 or 3 risers (indoor, outdoor respectively). I believe for commercial building all steps need a rail.
Yes. Depending on the width, you may require railing on both sides of the stairs.

In this case, I wonder if the classification is different based on the use of the building (stadium).

An Architect will need to chime in to know for sure. Part 3 is their domain.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 5:48 PM

For those not able to show the picture, it was taking from an interview with Drew Willy done in one of the luxury boxes at IGF. It shows seven steps (risers) in a sequence without any railing. This is interesting as the installation of railings actually introduced sight line obstructions at both IGF and MTS Centre.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 10:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Continuous handrails are required for stairs with more than three risers.
Not sure how they got away with that.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 10:47 PM

Thanks tv. I had paused on that picture for a different reason then started hearing the voice about all sorts of deficiencies in IGF. I recalled also hearing about residential construction needing rails around the three riser point and could tell something was likely not right. Guess we have another one to add to Miller's long list of upgrades required.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:05 PM
North End Troublemaker

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ment-1.3384403

Quote:
The Winnipeg Football Club has taken another 4.5 million steps towards ownership of their new stadium at the University of Manitoba.

The club, which owns the CFL's Blue Bombers, announced Wednesday it has paid off another $4.5 million of its debt to Triple B Stadium Inc.

Triple B is a consortium of the University of Manitoba, the City of Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba that was put in charge of overseeing the construction of Investors Group Field, with the province putting up most of the cash.

Wade Miller, president and CEO of the Bombers, said the WFC fulfilled its 2015 payment in large part due to revenues from hosting the 103rd Grey Cup and the FIFA Women's World Cup.

It also made a good chunk of money from hosting two major concerts, by One Direction and AC/DC.
Is this a good amount? I stopped following this issue a while back as it seems lower on the priority list than some of the many other issues with Winnipeg and Manitoba.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 7:19 PM

it was 4m a year for 40 years. i think it got upped a bit due to overage

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 8:56 PM
surely you agree with me

the world's hottest architect will design a new NFL football stadium and will team up with a firm that has experience and knowledge in stadium design. Imagine that....even his ego isn't big enough to presume he could do it alone.

ahem...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D.../Redskins.aspx

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 3:22 PM

^ Bumped thread with add..

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 12:07 AM

Winnipeg residents, how is the first stage of the "reno" coming? I did a quick Google search and didn't find any recent news articles.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 12:16 AM

^ I heard work is under way, but not much more than that. It's mostly behind the scenes type stuff as opposed to a renovation focused on fan amenities, so the details regarding construction probably won't attract that much media attention.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 12:22 AM
There is always a way

I walk by every day and people are hard at work behind orange tarps. They were pumping concrete the other day. I'd love for the upper bowl to be completed and the roof to run all the way around bur I know that's probably never going to happen. It would look slick though.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I walk by every day and people are hard at work behind orange tarps. They were pumping concrete the other day. I'd love for the upper bowl to be completed and the roof to run all the way around bur I know that's probably never going to happen. It would look slick though.
IGF is already too big for the bombers. hell they couldn't even sell the grey cup out at 40k. Let's sell it out for a few seasons before we talk about adding seats

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 3:25 AM

Bombers are slowly digging themselves out of the bottomless pit they're in. They've worked on actually listening to fans. They need to put a team on the field for once, which they've been working on.

25 years and counting... and I'm only 30. Never knew the glory days.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 6:35 AM
Hmm....

Capacity is just fine. That place will be packed if the Bombers start the season strong. Years of ineptitude tend to pull downward on attendance (look at the Riders during the rough late 90s to early 00s stretch as an example... flashes of excitement, but extremely rough times for the most part).

And as for Grey Cup tickets... teams are starting to get a little greedy in their pricing... It's knocking a lot of would-be buyers out and turning them off. There was indignation at the cost in Regina in 2013 as well... but as the Riders made it to the game, the value became priceless.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
IGF is already too big for the bombers. hell they couldn't even sell the grey cup out at 40k. Let's sell it out for a few seasons before we talk about adding seats
it was sold out

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
it was sold out
They knocked capacity down from the initial 40,000 down to 36,500 because tickets were slow to sell.

I agree with Nathan though, the Bombers have been in a lengthy rut for several years now which has really dampened enthusiasm. A Bomber team that was at least competitive would have probably led the GC committee to sell all 40,000 seats, but that obviously didn't happen.

If the Bombers were even a marginal playoff team over the last few years, I'm not saying they would have sold out every game but I could easily see them having averaged 30,000+ fans a game over the three years at IGF so far. There has just been so little to get excited about lately. Although mind you, that factor hasn't really hurt the Jets at the box office but I guess they still have a bit of a honeymoon plus a small venue capacity which makes everyone afraid to lose their seats for good if they give up their season ticket.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan