HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:34 PM

I have a hard time seeing it happen. Definitely not starting in the spring. Maybe later in the summer it may start. Maybe some utility work or something. There's no design work completed for the rail portion and just the overall site layout. Where's the roads going? Generally they know where they're going. But again no design work completed.Just some conceptual works. They don't think they've even put out the RFP yet for deign work.

If they want to rush this through, they're only going to make problems.

On the height restrictions. There's room for some towers. It all depends on where you're located. If you're directly in line with the flight paths, there's issues. If you're off to the side, there's more possibilities. There are fairly well defined boundaries of where these areas are as well. I know of one potential company who has been looking into this already and it's definitely possible for say a 20 storey tower to go in somewhere south of CCW near the existing residential areas.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I have a hard time seeing it happen. Definitely not starting in the spring. Maybe later in the summer it may start. Maybe some utility work or something. There's no design work completed for the rail portion and just the overall site layout. Where's the roads going? Generally they know where they're going. But again no design work completed.Just some conceptual works. They don't think they've even put out the RFP yet for deign work.

If they want to rush this through, they're only going to make problems.

On the height restrictions. There's room for some towers. It all depends on where you're located. If you're directly in line with the flight paths, there's issues. If you're off to the side, there's more possibilities. There are fairly well defined boundaries of where these areas are as well. I know of one potential company who has been looking into this already and it's definitely possible for say a 20 storey tower to go in somewhere south of CCW near the existing residential areas.
It's hugely expensive to alter a secondary plan. In addition to that, you'd need probably tens of thousands in engineering studies that show your building wouldn't be in issue in it's specific location, and that still won't guarantee you your entitlements. It's not worth the risk. And there's no vacancy or availability issue that would compel anybody to live in CentrePort.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:33 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
On the height restrictions. There's room for some towers. It all depends on where you're located. If you're directly in line with the flight paths, there's issues. If you're off to the side, there's more possibilities.
Not really, there are height restrictions all around any airport.

Not just normal flight operations, but emergencies have to be considered.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:45 PM

For sure. How shall I put this. I'll have to wait until a later date to discuss this further.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 6:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Preliminary Layout

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 6:27 PM

^ Wow, that's huge. Biggest rail facility to open in Manitoba since what, Symington in the early 60s?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 5:46 PM

US-based piping supply company building Canadian head office in Winnipeg

CentrePort Canada - Kentucky-based ISCO Industries, a piping supply company, has selected a 3.5-acre site on Sturgeon Road to house its Canadian operations. Head Office, Sales, Warehouse and Distribution.

Exerpt from:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...321558261.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:31 PM
BANNED

Good article on the boondoggle known as Centre Port Way (could also be called speNDP build it and they still won't come) The money wasted on this project could have been better spent on numerous road upgrades around Winnipeg, heck a bye-pass around Headingley would have been more beneficial to the trucking industry and everyone else (is there a stretch of road anywhere else in MB that has taken more lives?)

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...330369171.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Good article on the boondoggle known as Centre Port Way (could also be called speNDP build it and they still won't come) The money wasted on this project could have been better spent on numerous road upgrades around Winnipeg, heck a bye-pass around Headingley would have been more beneficial to the trucking industry and everyone else (is there a stretch of road anywhere else in MB that has taken more lives?)

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...330369171.html
I just don't understand how they could be so out to lunch on expropriations. I mean yes, it's the government so there's always some lunch being had, but it's not like it's something crazy and new they've never done before. I mean crap, I could've guessed that 39 acres of land just on the edge of the city was worth a lot more than $600,000.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I just don't understand how they could be so out to lunch on expropriations. I mean yes, it's the government so there's always some lunch being had, but it's not like it's something crazy and new they've never done before. I mean crap, I could've guessed that 39 acres of land just on the edge of the city was worth a lot more than $600,000.
It speaks volumes about the incompetency of the govt. involved. You think they would have acquired the land before-hand instead of being held hostage by the land owners who now know they have the hammer when it comes to negotiating.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 4:46 PM

On the MIT website, CentrePort has updated info on the rail park and first phases of development.
http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/centreportinfo.html

Shows what the long term plan is for road access. The current interchange at 100 and PR 221 will be upgraded, instead of being replaced elsewhere, which was being looked at. Road access to 101 between CCW and PR 221 will be closed, which is good and following on MIT's plan to close all median opening and access points.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
US-based piping supply company building Canadian head office in Winnipeg

CentrePort Canada - Kentucky-based ISCO Industries, a piping supply company, has selected a 3.5-acre site on Sturgeon Road to house its Canadian operations. Head Office, Sales, Warehouse and Distribution.

Exerpt from:
They are presently on Rte. 90 and are moving to the RM of Rosser. This is not a good thing.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:18 PM

^ Not aware of the exact location of the build from the article quoted other than Sturgeon Rd. . Is it still on Sturgeon Rd. in the municipality of Rosser or is it a new location entirely?

PDF of area in question:
http://www.centreportcanada.ca/uploa...1447359282.pdf

R.M Municipality Map ~~ Page 43
http://www.centreportcanada.ca/uploa...1446500604.pdf

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 7:35 PM
BANNED

The rail link is critical.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 8:23 PM

Yes, rail is an important link to any multi-model transportation hub.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2015, 2:23 AM

So they're just moving? (Cant read full article as I don't have access to WFP)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 3:38 AM

^ use ad block

Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
So they're just moving? (Cant read full article as I don't have access to WFP)

This pretty much gives you the jist of what the article contained.
They did enter the Winnipeg market in 2014 so it may just be a move to a newer facility as mentioned above.

Quote:
Kentucky-based ISCO Industries, a piping supply company, has selected a 3.5-acre site on Sturgeon Road to house its Canadian operations.

The head office, sales, warehouse and distribution facility will employ 12 people.

ISCO provides piping materials and solutions for environmental, energy, industrial, landfill, mining, municipal, golf and waterworks applications around the world.

"We are excited about the opportunity to continue to grow our global businessand this property at CentrePort provided what we were looking for — access to the workforce, ease of transportation and a central location," said Glen Henderson, ISCO’s vice-president and general manager for Canada.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
^ use ad block
ah still didn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
This pretty much gives you the jist of what the article contained.
They did enter the Winnipeg market in 2014 so it may just be a move to a newer facility as mentioned above.

Cheers Cyro

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 4:28 AM

^ well in a sense no it doesnt work but u can scroll still with the thing poped up just it doesnt follow you scrolling

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan