HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:16 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 under the sun in Cancun and Riviera Maya

The Yucatan peninsula is home to mega resorts and Maya historic monuments. Cancun is a great base to stay comfortably, with beach breaks in between day trips to Maya remnants. The Mexicans decided to move into tourism in the 1960s, and this part of the country had a great combination of accessibility, beaches, and a low population. The first hotel opened in 1974.

While there is very little to sightsee in the city other than malls, the focus is on the self-contained resorts that line along a narrow strip of land facing the sea, rightfully named Zona Hotelera. You just need to enjoy your hotel's piece of the beach and beautiful sea, and wave your wristband to get all the food and booze you like on-site.

Masses of seaweed have washed ashore many coastal areas along the Caribbean. While they support birds and sea life in the ocean, they also emit a stink as they decay, killing coral, fish, and causing discomfort in people. Scientists believe climate change and pollution from agricultural fertilizers are fueling these blooms.

Upon arriving, stop by the tour desk to assemble your day trips after consulting the weather forecast. Further inland, several Maya sites and colonial towns are worth a few day trips. Coba's pyramid is buried deep in the forest, and is worth the journey because it is one of the few places where you can actually climb to the top. Historians believe the city dates from 100 AD and was populated until the Spanish arrived, with the peak during the 9th century.

Getting to the pyramid itself requires a lot of leg power. You can either hire pedals to make it easier and faster, or walk a good 2km each way through the forest.

The Nohoch Mul pyramid is actually taller than Chichen Itza's El Castillo. Climbing it requires some skills as the steps are high and the structure is in a historical state.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/cancun.htm

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 1:52 PM

A few years ago we spent a lovely week nearby at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We also did a day trip to visit Tulum but I was really disappointed, both in the size of the ruins there (I wish we'd known about Nohoch Mul) but especially in the beach at Tulum. It was nearly covered with plastic and trash and locals were going up and down the beach digging huge holes to bury the trash in. It was my first real wake-up call about the sad state of our oceans.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nice! its a classic north american vacation.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 6:48 PM

Nice pictures! It's interesting to view even the unhistoric, tourist areas from a historical or documentarial perspective.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:00 AM
Hong Kong

Chichen Itza is the most famous Maya site in the region, although elements of it differed from actual Maya tradition. Easily accessible today by highway from Cancun, get there early before the tour buses arrive.

The Gran Juego de Pelota is the largest ball court of its kind, stretching 90m long. Historians are not sure how the game is played or its significance, although panels with scenes are found at the bottom of each side.

It is believed human sacrifices took place here, judging from the Tzompantli's carvings of human heads.

The highlight of the site is the El Castillo, with stairs going up each side through 9 terraces. Designed with the Maya calendar in mind, each staircase has 91 steps, totalling 365 after including the 1 step at the main temple entrance. Special shadow effects also take place during the equinoxes.

The Templo de los Guerreros and Groupo de las Mil Columnas is quite impressive for its details and colonnade-filled courtyard.

More on my website : https://www.globalphotos.org/cancun-chichen.htm

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 10:11 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Lovely shots mate!

One of the places I certainly could see myself visiting!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 2:59 AM

Excellent!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 3:22 PM
Me?!?

Beautiful!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos