HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I'm surprised given the title of the thread that there isn't a category for what many would term "culture": fine arts, performing arts and museums.
I'm really really interested in archaeology, I just find museums a bore because they often supply no information for their price.

I'm super interested in early cities, viking explorers, explorers in general, historical trade and industry.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Tintin, Asterix and Gaston are staples of my library. I have all the comics, hard cover too.
In spite of my equal passion for Marvel and DC as a kid, even at that age I always saw those hard-cover "Franco-Belgian*" comics as the real, noble comics...

*as they are officially known as a genre

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In spite of my equal passion for Marvel and DC as a kid, even at that age I always saw those hard-cover "Franco-Belgian*" comics as the real, noble comics...

Franco comics are far better than the drivel produced in North America - IMHO.

I couldn't get into a single Marvel or DC comic growing up. Superman/Spiderman/Batman meant nothing to me then as they do now. I hate the superhero movie genre.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
True. "Dating/partner" seems a strange inclusion wrt "cultural consumption".
Meh I think it's important.

Before I met my current girlfriend I was way more interested in Asian-African history and culture. (assumed I'd marry foreign).

Since I've met her I've been pushed into being far more traditionally british-northern european in my interests.

We goto alot of classical music, we are both 7th generation canadians, and she seems to prefer nordic climates(gets headaches from the sun etc.)

She's also interested in western European languages (german and french) bach is her favorite composer.

We also share a love of rail, and mountains, snow, etc. (she's from bc)

Were both autistic and for her I think it pushes her to be a little bit less interested in the social side of culture, and more the directly intellectual(architecture, music, language).

Ironically her mom was born(missionaries) in India and the whole family loves indian food.

Last edited by Stryker; May 24, 2016 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
How about sharing some stuff that we're not into to? (Especially if it diverges from the mainstream.)

I am not into "fantasy" stuff at all: no Dungeons and Dragons, no Lord of the Rings, no Game of Thrones. Nothing of that sort. I do like science-fiction of the Star Wars and Star Trek variety. Somewhat. I absolutely hate it when outer space stuff is mixed in with medieval shit in movies and TV.

I drink no hot beverages at all except maybe for a hot chocolate if partaking in winter sports.
One of my autistic obsessions is history/futurism.

I love trying to connect our past with our potential future.

One idea that absolutely fascinates me is the idea of colonizing space.

For some crazy reason people are obsessed with planets, when in reality asteroids are far more interesting as a place for colonization.

They are found everywhere even deep in the space between stars.

There's literally billions of them. And more than a few are loaded rich with materials we need to settle space.

Once you can reach a asteroid it's relatively cheap to convert asteroid material into rotating colonies(sky cities).

http://heliosworks.blogspot.ca/2011/...er-venice.html

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
Franco comics are far better than the drivel produced in North America - IMHO.

I couldn't get into a single Marvel or DC comic growing up. Superman/Spiderman/Batman meant nothing to me then as they do now. I hate the superhero movie genre.
Yeah, compared to the franco ones, DC/Marvel look cheap and like something you'd get for free with a plastic toy or some candy.

The artwork is pretty good in both IMO, but I've always found the text, vocabulary and humour (often very subtle) far superior in the francos.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:06 PM

I was also a big fan of Spirou, Gaston Lagaffe, Asterix, Leonard, Thorgal... I hated the DC/Marvel comics, the cheap quality of the paper and the lack of colors was a turn off for me.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Tintin is better than Astérix BTW.

renewing the classic rivalry here

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Everyone I know who plays a church organ (I know a surprising number) is REALLY into Tintin.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Everyone I know who plays a church organ (I know a surprising number) is REALLY into Tintin.
That stands to reason as Tintin is way more cerebral than Astérix.

Tintin only punches people when it's absolutely necessary.

Astérix and Obélix punch people all the time just for fun.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Dating/partner: Asian only. I am not really attracted to Caucasian women. My girlfriend is Filipina.
Interesting! Didn't know that

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I'm not a video game guy, either. There were a few computer games I used to be in to like Command and Conquer, the original Call of Duty and the Civilization series, but I felt that those took up a lot of my time and, strangely, when I stopped playing them years ago I never felt the urge to go back.
Yeah, I've been basically video-game-free for about 15 years now, BUT from time to time -- and I just did that this long weekend, BTW -- I will start a new Civ 1 game at the Emperor difficulty level (yep, I'm that good) to take my mind off things, and it's like I just took a time warp to my early teen days.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more!

Some of my personal favorites... the early but not super-early Cliftons (the ones from the beginning & middle of the Turk and de Groot era) are pure gold (beating both Robin Dubois and Leonard).

Franquin and Peyo would also be near the top of my list (for their work in general, especially at their respective peaks). BTW, the two were close friends, too.

For stories where humor isn't at the forefront, I'd say anything by Jean-Michel Charlier (Lt. Blueberry, Buck Danny, Barbe-Rouge) would be hard to beat.

I also find that the best material by far comes from a "golden era" of the Franco-Belgian BD that peaked over a few decades and has been declining for a while now.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fine Arts: Spirit of Newfoundland, Stephenville Theatre Festival
Performing Arts: Lawnya Vawnya, the Gathering, anything put off or touring locally
Museums: I mostly enjoy archives. I love going through old photographs of anywhere, really. And I love reading about the history of various families I'm connected to (i.e. maternal grandmother's ancestors, that sort of thing).

Things I don't like...

I'm not one of those people who needs smart comedy, it's not that at all. I love South Park, for example. But whatever it is, there are A LOT of comedies that I cannot stand. I don't even crack a smile - and I laugh at everything in daily life. I once read that "Community is a show about dumb people made for smart people; Big Bang Theory is a show about smart people made for dumb people". That I do love the former, hate the latter, so that cheered me up. But I also LOVED 2 Broke Girls when it first started. "That's not what rape feels like!". I think, again, it's that character connection thing. I love Max, so I love her shitty show.

I don't like pompous, prestigious things. Don't get me wrong, I'm overjoyed when something I'm into becomes prestigious, but that whole... scene... irritates the fuck out of me. UNLESS it's clear their heart is in it. You can be as stuck up as you want if the thing you're concerned about is your passion in life. Have at it, I respect that. But when it's just stuffy for the sake of stuffiness... ugh. It's something I love about St. John's. You go to a dinner theatre, the performers and people there are not the same ones you see at the art gallery the next day. And neither is the same as the people you see at the folk festival the next day. There's lots of interaction, but they're separate. I've lived in cities where you see the same 500 people at everything, like there's this "arts crowd" that does it all and the whole city surrounding is separate from it, it's not integrated at all. That's where it gets REALLY pompous and ridiculous and I just... life is too short for me to give a fuck about that.

I am embarrassed every time I say this, I know it's stupid... but I have zero - ZERO - interest in most things about the Far East. If I won an all-expenses paid trip to Beijing, I'd try to sell it. I've watched a lot of documentaries set there and loved it - from Japanese riverside villages that use the river water for everything, and even keep carp in their kitchens to clean dishes instead of using detergent... to Chinese Communist Party history, etc. So there's a level of interest in terms of learning about it, but it is literally the last place I need to visit, care to see, etc. I'll have been to every European country's second and third city before I venture east of Kathmandu.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I am embarrassed every time I say this, I know it's stupid... but I have zero - ZERO - interest in most things about the Far East. If I won an all-expenses paid trip to Beijing, I'd try to sell it. I've watched a lot of documentaries set there and loved it - from Japanese riverside villages that use the river water for everything, and even keep carp in their kitchens to clean dishes instead of using detergent... to Chinese Communist Party history, etc. So there's a level of interest in terms of learning about it, but it is literally the last place I need to visit, care to see, etc. I'll have been to every European country's second and third city before I venture east of Kathmandu.
That's interesting (and it's totally your right), but for me it's the complete opposite -- few places on this planet attract me as much as the Far East. Japan especially. (My sis spent like four summers in a row living/working there, that secondhand info confirmed what I used to think about the place.)

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, it's the same with everyone I know too. Most of the people I know personally who've been there have been sad to come home, and several return to Tokyo regularly.

One even had a genuine bout of depression after coming home that had to be treated. I'm definitely in the minority.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 24, 2016 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:03 PM

SHH, I have to admit that I had no particular interest in Asia until I spent some time working out there back in my student days... while I'm not what you'd call an Asiaphile in that I don't actively cultivate an interest in the place, I remain very much fascinated by it and love to read about it and occasionally visit. Also from an urbanist standpoint, dense urbanized nations like Japan and China are pretty much like crack... you can literally ride a bike from town to town or even in some cases one massive city to the next which is unbelievable for most Canadians.

Give it a go, I'm sure you'll be impressed if you ever make the trip.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:07 PM

Quote:
That stands to reason as Tintin is way more cerebral than Astérix.

Tintin only punches people when it's absolutely necessary.

Astérix and Obélix punch people all the time just for fun.
Tu veux une baffe?

Bonus points for whomever can tell who is on my avatar. I'm a big fan of that particular series of movies.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:09 PM

^ I know him, but don't remember his name... French actor, passed away about one year ago I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Interesting! Didn't know that
Not saying that I only dated or had Asian girlfriends before, but it was more because I could not find any They sure are not common in a city like Sherbroke, unless you hang out around Bishop's University, and even then...

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
^ I know him, but don't remember his name... French actor, passed away about one year ago I think.

Not saying that I only dated or had Asian girlfriends before, but it was more because I could not find any They sure are not common in a city like Sherbroke, unless you hang out around Bishop's University, and even then...
You're thinking of Michel Galabru - so on the right path, but alas not the correct actor!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada