HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 4:13 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Updated 11:07 AM
LIRR Service Is Normal Again After Hurricane Missed City
By: NY1 News

Quote:
With the storm formerly known as Hurricane Earl no longer a threat to the city or surrounding areas, Long Island Rail Road officials say normal service to eastern Long Island has resumed.

Earl is now a Category 1 tropical storm with maximum winds of about 70 mph that hit Nova Scotia, Canada late this morning.

Service was suspended yesterday because of the threat of high winds posed by Earl.

Amtrak has also resumed service between New York and Boston, after it was suspended yesterday after a tree fell on power lines in New London, Conn.

No delays or cancellations are being reported at John F. Kennedy, LaGuardia, or Newark Liberty Airports.

The storm did not do as much damage to New England as originally feared.

It dumped about three inches of rain on Martha's Vineyard. Nantucket got about an inch-and-a-half of rain and beachgoers on the island were told to keep out of the water as winds gusted up to 40 mph.

A few hundred power outages were reported in Massachusetts, along with a handful of downed power lines and isolated flooding in low-lying areas.

Earlier Friday in North Carolina, drivers maneuvered through flooded streets and downed tree branches, though the storm largely spared the Outer Banks.

Thousands of homes lost power during the storm, but there were no reports of injuries or major damage.

Copyright © 2010 NY1 News. All rights reserved

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 11:09 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

5:25 PM
MTA Set To Hold First Public Hearings On New Fare Hikes

Quote:
Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials tonight will likely get an earful from riders, as the agency holds its first public hearing on proposed fare hikes.

Even though the agency has already implemented service cuts and layoffs, the MTA says the hikes are necessary to close its budget gap.

However, many riders say they are not happy with the idea of having to pay more for less.

"I think that it's a pretty decent price already and not to mention that they've been cutting back a lot of the lines, the service has been really unreliable, so maybe before they consider hiking up the prices they might want to make their customers a little bit happier,” said one rider.

“I don't agree with it,” said another. “I mean, the economy's bad right now, and seriously it shouldn't really go up right now."

Rider advocates are encouraging New Yorkers to come out to the hearings, saying their voices really do make a difference.

"You can't win it if you're not in it,” said Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign. “Any chance that they'll adopt a smaller fare hike or a fare policy that you think is a good one, you've got to be there."

The MTA still hasn't decided how these fare hikes will hit.

Under one option, seven-day Metrocards would rise from $27 to $28, and would be limited to 22 rides. Another option would keep the weekly card unlimited, but raise the cost to $29.

For 30-day cards, the options are an increase from $89 to $99 for a card with a 90-trip cap, or $104 for unlimited rides.

Critics, including the city Transit Riders Advisory Committee, say the MTA should leave fares alone after implementing service cuts over the summer.

The MTA will hold a hearing in each borough.

Today's hearing is set for 6 o'clock at Cooper Union.

The hearings come as the MTA has implemented some new service cuts on the Long Island Rail Road.

Riders are dealing with some new service reductions this morning, as the agency implements the second round of budget related cuts.

New timetables are in effect for riders on several branches. Some trains have been eliminated altogether – including overnight scheduled service between Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn and Jamaica Station.

The Port Washington line, which has eight stops in Queens, is also hit particularly hard with 14 fewer trains on weekdays.

The MTA says the reductions will save almost a million dollars this year, and nearly $4 million annually starting next year.

For a full list of timetable changes, visit mta.info/lirr.

Copyright © 2010 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 6:55 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

8:59 AM
NTSB To Release Report On Last Summer's Mid-Air Collision

Quote:
The National Transportation Safety Board is set to release its findings today into last summer's deadly mid-air collision over the Hudson River.

Nine people were killed when a small plane and a tour helicopter collided last August.

Investigators are expected to answer questions such as whether the air traffic controller who cleared the plane for takeoff could have prevented the accident if he had been paying closer attention. Transcripts show the controller made a personal call and remained on the phone while directing air traffic until the accident.

The Federal Aviation Administration has since divided the airspace over the Hudson to put more room between planes, helicopters, seaplanes and sightseeing aircraft.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 7:02 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Updated 1:48 PM
Hudson Street Holland Tunnel Entrance To Close Through 2015

Quote:
New Jersey-bound drivers who take the Holland Tunnel could soon see more traffic in Lower Manhattan.

The Hudson Street entrance to the tunnel will be closed starting Sunday so water pipes in TriBeCa can be repaired by the New York City Department of Design and Construction. The entrance will be closed until 2015.

The congestion could lead to traffic tie-ups for people looking to come to the city from New Jersey.

Hudson Street offers direct access to the tunnel from Lower Manhattan for drivers headed to New Jersey.

Drivers heading to the tunnel from Lower Manhattan will have use Canal Street, Varick Street or Watts Street to enter the tunnel.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2010, 7:55 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Updated 1:48 PM
Hudson Street Holland Tunnel Entrance To Close Through 2015.
Does it really take FOUR to FIVE years to repair water pipes for a couple of city blocks in NYC?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:49 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

8:43 AM
Police Search For Suspect In Subway Robberies

Quote:
The New York City Police Department is searching for a man accused of robbing at least three women on the subway at knifepoint.

The most recent robbery took place last Sunday on the Number 2 train at 96th and Broadway.

Police say the robber, caught on the above surveillance video, pulled out a knife and tried to steal a woman's purse. The 27-year-old victim fought back and was stabbed in the mid-section. She is expected to recover.

Investigators say the same man robbed a woman on August 7th at knifepoint as she was leaving the A train at 127th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue.

And, police say the man did the same thing to another woman on the A train three weeks ago at Broadway and Dykman Street.

The incidents have some passengers on edge.

"That's a real tragedy, that's like you're scared to even travel on the train in the evening time to go home,” said one rider. “So what do you have to do, take a cab now for your safety?"

"I was very nervous of coming here today, but you have to get to where you have to get,” said another. “ But I was very nervous about it, I heard about that. And I don't like to be out this early in the morning, but I have to be."

The suspect is said to be in his late 20s and about 6 feet tall.

He was seen wearing blue jean shorts, a white T-shirt and black sneakers.

Anyone with information about the case is being asked to contact Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-577-TIPS, by texting TIP577 to CRIMES, or by going to NYPDCrimeStoppers.com.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:53 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

8:51 AM
MTA To Hold Public Hearing On Fare Hikes On Staten Island

Quote:
Riders on Staten Island will get their chance to weigh in tonight on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s proposed fare hikes.

Last night, it was straphangers in the Bronx who gave MTA officials an earful at Hostos Community College.

The MTA says it needs to raise fares by 7.5 percent to close its budget gap, but those who spoke at last night's hearing say they're being taken for a ride.

"You don't give a damn about us!” said one angry passenger. “You’re just here to just go through the motions."

"If the fare increases, that means we have to choose: child care, rent, MTA? I think that's unfair," said another.

“"I think that the reality is that people are expressing views about things to do with the MTA,” said MTA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jay Walder. “I think it's important for us to listen. I think the board feels it's important to listen."

MTA officials are considering plans that would raise the price of a seven-day card to $28 dollars – with a 22-ride limit, or, $29 for unlimited rides.

For a 30-Day card; customers would pay $99 for 90 rides, or $104 for an unlimited card.

Tonight's hearing gets underway at 6 o'clock at the St. George Theatre.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:58 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Updated 10:27 AM
DOT Installing Countdown Pedestrian Signals In Brooklyn

Quote:
The Department of Transportation is installing the first countdown pedestrian signals in Park Slope.

The clocks count down the number of seconds remaining before the flashing hand on a pedestrian crossing sign turns solid red and the traffic light changes.

"[These clocks] make it so much easier for seniors, for families, for kids, especially for pedestrians, but also for cyclists and drivers to know how much time they have, and to make smart decisions and stay safe," said City Councilman Brad Lander. "We really believe it's going to save lives."

Last year, pedestrians made up for more than half of the traffic fatalities in the five boroughs.

The DOT plans to install the clocks at 1,500 wider intersections throughout the city.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 6:01 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Updated 09/19/2010 10:14 AM
Holland Tunnel's Hudson Street Entrance Closed Through 2015

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...d-through-2015

Quote:
New Jersey-bound drivers who take the Holland Tunnel could be seeing more traffic in Lower Manhattan.

The Hudson Street entrance to the tunnel was closed at midnight and will remain closed through 2015 so water pipes in TriBeCa can be repaired.

The congestion could also lead to traffic tie ups for people looking to come to the city from New Jersey.

The Hudson Street entrance normally offers direct access to the tunnel from Lower Manhattan for drivers headed to New Jersey.

Drivers heading to the tunnel will now have to use Canal Street, Varick Street or Watts Street to enter the tunnel.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 6:03 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Does it really take FOUR to FIVE years to repair water pipes for a couple of city blocks in NYC?
Apparently, at this location it will

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 6:11 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Updated 1:13 PM
Bridge Fire Suspends Metro-North Service To, From Manhattan

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...from-manhattan

Quote:
A transformer fire burning under the 138th street Lift Bridge by the East River has suspended Metro-North train service in and out of Manhattan, and Metro-North users are encouraged to find alternate transportation for the evening rush hour.

Metro-North authorities say a train was at the site of the fire but there are no reports of injuries so far.

Firefighters are still battling the flames on the nearby pier and large plumes of smoke are rising and affecting the surrounding area.

Metro-North engineers tell NY1 that some pipes under the bridge have been bent by the heat of the fire.

The rail service's Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines are all affected.

Northbound passengers should take the 4 or D train and then pick up Metro-North trains at the Yankees-East 153rd Street Station. Full alternate service plans are listed below.

NY1's Education reporter Lindsey Christ, who was in the area as the fire started, said the smoke was so thick she could not see her own hand in front of her own face.

A resident of the neighborhood told Christ he was sitting under the bridge and heard a huge explosion before the fire began.

Metro-North Alternate Service Plan
Southbound:
• New Haven Line customers get off at Woodlawn and transfer to the #2 at 233rd Street for service to Manhattan
• Harlem line customers get off at Wakefield to get to 241st street #2 subway OR Yankees - E. 153rd Street to get the #4 or D subway.
• Hudson Line customers also get off at Yankees-E. 153rd Street for the D train or #4 Or at Marble Hill to transfer to the #1 at 225th Street.
• All southbound trains will go to and terminate at Yankees - E 153rd Street Station.

Northbound:
• ALL Metro-North customers should take the #4 or D to get a MNR train at Yankees - E 153rd Street Station.
• All three lines, Hudson, Harlem and New Haven will be served by the new Yankees-E 153rd Street station.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 8:35 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

All Metro-North railroad lines expected to be back to normal this evening.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 1:08 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:53 PM
World Machine

Wow that's something; I've crossed that bridge many times.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 6:01 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

09/23/2010 06:49 PM
Downtown Connection Lights Up Countdown Clocks

Quote:
A free bus service that runs through Lower Manhattan is keeping riders in the loop.

Seven stops along the route connecting the South Street Seaport, the Financial District, Battery Park, the World Trade Center site, TriBeCa and City Hall now have clocks displaying when the next two buses will arrive.

"Sounds simple. But who's waited forever for a bus to arrive and thought I could have gotten a coffee, I could go buy a pack of gum. I'm going to be late," said Downtown Alliance President Elizabeth Berger.

More than 836,000 sightseers, commuters and local residents a year ride Downtown Connection buses.

The new notification service that uses GPS is provided by the Downtown Alliance.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 6:47 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Updated 11:42 AM
Construction Causes Service Changes On Nearly All Subway Lines

Quote:
It will be another rough day ahead for straphangers, as construction work is causing service disruptions and delays on 18 of the 19 lines around the city.

One of the biggest disruptions is on the Number 1 line, which is suspended along the entire route.

Number 2 and 3 trains are running local to replace the 1 between 96th and Chambers Streets. Free shuttle buses will also be available at stations along the 1 line on Broadway, St. Nicholas Avenue, and in Lower Manhattan.

On the A, 207th Street-bound A trains are skipping Beach 25th, Beach 44th and Beach 67th streets. Rockaway Park-bound A trains skip Beach 90th and 105th Streets.

A trains to Lefferts Boulevard/Far Rockaway are skipping 50th, 23rd and Spring Streets in Manhattan.

All A trains will skip the Fulton Street-Broadway Nassau Station.

Moreover, service is suspended on the G train between Bedford-Nostrand Avenue and Court Square.

For more on the service changes, tune into NY1's traffic channel, Rail and Road 24/7, on channel 104.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 3:02 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

9:51 AM
Major Service Disruptions Planned On LIRR Next Month

Quote:
Long Island Rail Road riders are in for a couple of rough weekends in the coming months.

Trips will increase by up to 70 minutes on October 23rd and 24th, and November 6th and 7th, when service will be sharply cut down as crews replace the switching system.

Riders are being advised to use the railroad for essential business only.

Only three trains per hour will travel to or from Penn Station. Instead, riders will need to use the E train to get between Jamaica and Penn Station.

Shuttle buses will replace many trains through Queens and Long Island.

There will be no train or bus service whatsoever to the three stops in Brooklyn, or to Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Hollis, Locust Manor, Laurelton, Rosedale, Merillon Avenue, New Hyde Park and St. Albans.

The LIRR is replacing the antiquated switching system that caught fire last month – causing widespread cancellations.

For details on the changes, go to mta.info/lirr.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 5:43 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

11:51 AM
MTA To Experiment With E-ZPass Only On Henry Hudson Bridge

Quote:
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is set to experiment with a cash-free policy on its bridges and tunnels.

Starting in January, the MTA will remove gates in E-ZPass lanes in the Bronx-to-Manhattan lanes of the Henry Hudson Bridge, which connects Manhattan to Riverdale.

Sensors will charge drivers with E-ZPass, and drivers without will get a bill, after a system of cameras photographs license plates.

If the pilot program proves successful, the MTA will stop accepting cash at the Henry Hudson by 2012; no date has been set for a system-wide change.

The cashless policy is expected to help cars move through tolls faster, and the MTA could reach deals with other states to block people from renewing vehicle registrations until bills and fines are paid.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 5:45 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

09/28/2010 02:19 PM
Police Say Mobile Device Theft On Rise In Subway System

Quote:
Police say thieves have been snatching more and more mobile devices right out of the hands of subway riders.

There were 118 thefts in the subway system in August, which is a 14.6 percent rise from that time last year, according to the New York City Police Department.

Passengers sitting near subway doors are often targeted, so thieves can run out of the car as the doors close.

Police say it is not uncommon to see a rise in robberies when new items come out, like the iPhone 4 and new generations of the iPod.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 5:50 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

09/28/2010 04:36 PM
MTA Treads Water As Pension Funds Sink
By: John Mancini

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beat...on-funds-sink/

Fresh off the news that the MTA has shaved millions from overtime, the cash-strapped agency has learned that the slow economy is choking revenue and increasing other costs. NY1's John Mancini filed the following report.

Quote:
Forgive folks at the MTA if they say they feel a bit like you, their beleaguered customers. These days, when it comes to money, they just can't win for losing, either.

"There is a dark cloud out there though, and it is something we are going to have to address in 2011," said MTA Chief Financial Officer Robert Foran.

The looming storm? For starters, another $150 million a year the MTA will probably have to kick in to prop up slumping pension funds.

"Now again, that would be phased in, perhaps over time, depending on when the actuaries actually say we need to increase the funding," Foran said.

In any case, the MTA needs to fix its budget now. One way is by getting straphangers to pay more to ride next year. Another is cutting costs. The MTA says it has spent a half billion dollars less this year, including a big drop in overtime. There's also been an uptick in payroll tax revenue.

But for every piece of good financial news there's another shot of bad -- real estate tax money is no better than last year.

"Which was disastrous. So it's important to keep that in mind, that this thing has not bounced at all. Zero," said MTA Vice Chairman Andrew Saul.

The board would like to see a zero when it comes to drops in state funding. But after losing $143 million in promised aid last year, financial staffers told the board Albany has fallen short again.

Come January, $104 may be the new price straphangers will have to get used to when purchasing an unlimited monthly MetroCard.

"A hundred and four dollars is probably as low as we can offer it to the variety of people who would use it," said MTA Board Member Allen Cappelli.

The full MTA board could discuss fares and tolls when it meets Wednesday. But a final vote on the hikes won't come until next week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation