HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

181 Fremont in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 12:09 AM
BANNED

The Argenta is stucco, near as I can tell. I'm just hoping the Heller-Manus 10th/Market project isn't.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:38 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
Isn't the finish of the Meridien/Argent hotel a coat of stucco? I believe it was applied over the origianl precast concrete (or perhap it was cast in place concrete, I am not sure), as part of the remodel a few years back. Daniel Burnham Court, which is over 200', is also stucco. It certainly can be done. All it takes is an architect/developer team intent on controlling cost.
I think I remember reading that the Meridien/ANA (locally called the anal in the hotel biz)/Argent/Westin Market Street was covered with over 9,000 gallons of paint on the cement. It is, BTW, a steel frame building that looked really cool before they covered it.

When I used the word skyscraper above, I meant a real one soaring into the sky. The Argenta, sandwiched between two ugly highrise bookends and Daniel Burnham Court don't qualify! DBC is stucco above the first few floors, just like the SF Marriott. Both structures would have been better if a higher grade cladding went all the way up.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
The Argenta, sandwiched between two ugly highrise bookends and Daniel Burnham Court don't qualify! DBC is stucco above the first few floors, just like the SF Marriott. Both structures would have been better if a higher grade cladding went all the way up.
Yes, and it might have added $100K to the cost of a unit there--just what the SF market needs (something to make homes more expensive).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 7:16 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Yes, and it might have added $100K to the cost of a unit there--just what the SF market needs (something to make homes more expensive).
I wasn't referring to Argenta since it's all stucco. It just should have had more glass, as in the renderings.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 8:32 AM

if you click here: http://www.videodetective.com/titled...blishedid=5666 and watch the short video right at the very end is the building from towering inferno. and remember those people falling our of the glass elevators..... filmed at the hyatt regency.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
very unlikely - the argenta probably has about 70,000sf of skin. add another 25 bucks to the exterior wall divided by 180 units - maybe $10k a unit. the developer knows what the market will bear regardless of the exterior - it's rarely a main selling point - so what we're really talking about is more like $5k of profit for the developer and $5k more cost of the unit.

there is a point in the market where little costs like this make a big difference and it's not high rise housing downtown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
(Emporis)
Haha that was my first thought when I saw this...it looks almost identical to the Bank of China Building in Hong Kong!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 2:24 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I would be ecstatic if it ends up looking anything like the Bank of China building. It's one of my favorites.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 8:16 AM

Increadible looking tower!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 1:09 AM

i like it that tower

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:37 PM

Updates...

What is the current plan for this site?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 12:09 AM

update

Some new renderings...

181 Fremont is a proposed, 66-story mixed use office and residential tower. The project is located on Fremont Street between Howard and Mission Streets, immediately adjacent to the new Transbay Transit Center. Transbay is the emerging locus of San Francisco’s financial district and is surrounded by a vibrant mixed-use community including the Rincon Hill neighborhoods. Entitlements for 181 Fremont are currently underway.

There is another rendering here at the source:

http://sksinvestments.com/properties/181-fremont/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 4:39 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Just renderings so who knows, but the tint of that glass is very similar to Millennium. Given their proximity, I hope they pick something complementary but not identical. I also hope I'm still alive when something this size is actually standing there.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 7:53 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Those new renders aren't very clear on how steep the roof feature is.

On another note, this proposal has been around for 2 years and we still don't have an entry in the diagrams for it?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 9:31 PM

I believe 181 Fremont will be 700 feet to the roof, and 54 floors. The crown may add more of a height not yet given.

See:
http://www.hellermanus.com/portfolio...%23%24HG%22%0A

Here are 2 enlargements from the same http://sksinvestments.com/properties/181-fremont/ above.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 10:13 PM
them bones

Back from the dead!

The glass in the rendering reminds me of the new skin job on the Verizon Building in Midtown Manhattan. Not bad, but not great. Hard to say.

Still having issues with the proportioning of the individual sections. Like it wants to be Foster or Nouvel, but it's just not quite there yet.

The top also seems very unresolved.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Fantastic addition to the skyline.

Poor Millennium tower and the suckers who bought there. Hope they like views of offices!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:23 PM

Some new renderings included...

Source: http://www.hellermanus.com/181_Fremont_Street.html

Source: (same as above)
Quote:
181 Fremont Street
San Francisco, CA

Site: 604,000 sf No. Stories: 54 stories
Sustainable Features: LEED-CS Gold (proposed)

181 Fremont is one of several new buildings that will change the skyline in San Francisco’s South of Market/Transbay neighborhood by offering more housing and office space. This proposed project demonstrates modernism in design, sustainability, and neighborhood integration. Standing at approximately 700 feet and 54 stories, 181 Fremont would accommodate 420,300 sf of office space and 80 residential units on 15 floors. The unique structural system will be expressed on the building’s exterior, enhancing the skyline expression that will add a dramatic focal point to this newly evolving district of the city. Located between the historic Marine Electric Company (MECO) building and the future home of the new Transbay Terminal, this mixed-use high-rise at 181 Fremont will offer breathtaking views of the San Francisco Bay and its urban waterfront environment. In the pursuit of a LEED Gold certification, several innovative design features, including a unique curtain wall design, a green roof, and recycled materials make this a truly distinctive project.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:48 PM

I think this is one of the most exciting proposals out right now. Sort of reminds me of a southern version of the Transamerica, at least at the base. I hope it gets built.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 10:35 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I love the homage to Transamerica Pyramid at the base, but the rest of the design comes across as unbalanced and messy. I usually love diagonally braced buildings that express their structure in the facade, but the spacing of the horizontal sections - as plinko mentioned before - just come across as awkward to me.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive