HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 3, 2005, 12:15 AM
Fourth and Main

I've been trying to create a rendering of what the proposed 15-17 storey hotel tower might look like on the skyline, but I can't find a picture with a view that would show it and not cover other buildings or have other buildings covering it. This subject, since it could lead to a new skyscraper, should have it's own thread. This is proposed for the site behind the old Vanderbilt Tower, isn't it? I know there is an open space on Lexington behind those apartments that is perfect for something like this and could force them to build a good sized tower?

This should be fun to look at from I-240!

Old Posted May 3, 2005, 1:02 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Well, Rankin Avenue is the one that runs directly behind the Civic Center, and the city is considering selling some of the property it owns there for the hotel -- assuming plans come through at all, of course. The plot of land there is very long and narrow, which means any building there would rise like a wall. Long, narrow, and probably quite tall.

Another thing, is that if a tall building were built there, it wouldn't make much of an impact on the skyline because that's that at the bottom of the tall hill crowned by the Civic Center. It probably wouldn't rise any higher than the Civic Center itself.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 8, 2005, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc
From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/20/05)

Broadway building could spur more activity

---

My take? Nice design, but too damn short. Add about ten stories and then we'll talk. Here's a pic:
Hi. Never really knew this thread was here. I'm an Asheville native at school in Raleigh for the past 5 years.

My take:
The Gateway on Broadway is an excellent scale for that part of town. I say keep everything more than 5 or 6 stories on the south side of I-240. If anything bigger than that ever gets built to the north, it should be on Merrimon or Charlotte, not Broadway. People keep saying that downtown Asheville is in a land crunch, but there are PLENTY of surface lots around the Health Department and Renaissance Inn on College St that should be converted to a deck to make room for new construction.Bulldoze the Tripp's restaurand and the Beverly Hanks office while you're at it, and relocate them to a multi-story mixed use building that addresses the street rather than the parking lot.

Regarding Broadway, here's something that you may not have thought about: it would be an excellent road for a streetcar. Firstly, the right-of-way is more than wide enough. It's also the only route from the river to downtown that does not involve a steep (>5%) grade. It runs right by UNCA and it heads straight downtown. This streetcar line could then connect to the old Asheville & Craggy Railroad along Riverside Drive, perhaps helping to spark some redevelopment of the dilapidated warehouses and sheds sheds along that part of the river. If you head south from Broadway, the railroad goes to the Urban Riverfront area; going north, you evenutally end up at the intersection of Elkwood and Merrimon in North Asheville. There's been some talk of removing the rails and turning it into a rail-trail but I see no reason why the corridor can't be shared (they do it in Carrboro and it works just great.)

Here's what the corridor looks like where it crosses Woodfin Ave. in Woodfin:

Old Posted May 8, 2005, 10:45 PM
A gruff individual.

^Why not put your idea in a letter and send it to Mayor Worley? It sounds like a damn fine concept to me, and I've found Mayor Worley to be very accommodating and willing to listen to people who have good ideas.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted May 9, 2005, 1:38 AM

I may just do that. Especially considering that I still vote in Asheville since it's still my home =) It just kills me that I can't go to any of the public meetings where these plans are discussed.

And, next, another interesting post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
I think Asheville could get a new tallest (25 stories), all condos and ground floor retail. I think something Post-Modern, with a nice crown would look great as a signature tower.
I agree, Asheville needs some more height somewhere. Something bold. A modern tower would certainly be nice, but not something that looks like it is imported from Charlotte or Winston-Salem. Make it modern, fine; but make it uniquely Asheville.

But more importantly, I say that there is one unbelievable opportunity for a lucky developer to build a brand-new, yet undeniably genuine and historic skyscraper in town: put the tower on the Grove Arcade!. How tall was it supposed to be again? I've heard 19 stories and I've heard 22. No modern interpretations, and no skimping out on ornamentation and materials, either; build it exactly as it would have been built in 1929 - only, build it for compliance with modern building codes and ADA regulations. Oh yeah, modern double-paned glass in the windows would be nice, too. I wonder whehter any of the original blueprints for the tower are left?

Last edited by orulz; May 9, 2005 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2005, 4:52 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (05/09/05)

Group rallies to oppose annexation
Organization to meet Wednesday in Raleigh
By Clarke Morrison
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — As the city of Asheville continues to expand its boundaries, Candler resident Julia Roberson believes it’s only a matter of time before her property is annexed.

“If I wanted to be in the city I would have moved to the city,” the retiree said. “They don’t have anything to offer I don’t already have. I pay enough taxes as it is.

“I think they’ll go all the way to the Haywood County line eventually if something’s not done.”

A group called Stop N.C. Annexation is trying to do something. The organization is holding a rally Wednesday in Raleigh on the grounds of the Capitol building in an attempt to convince legislators to change laws that allow involuntary annexation by cities and towns in North Carolina.

Through its Web site, www.stopncannexation.com, the group is urging annexation opponents across the state to attend the rally, which begins at 9 a.m.

City officials consider annexation an indispensable tool for supporting municipal services. They contend that people living in areas around a city that have become urban in nature should help pay for those services, rather than forcing current city residents to shoulder the entire tax burden.

“Cities need to be able to grow,” said Asheville Mayor Charles Worley. “If you don’t allow a reasonable method for cities to grow, then you lock up the boundaries and urban growth occurs anyway around those boundaries.

“Cities are economic generators for the areas around them. And the cities have to have a way to continue to serve that function, and the only way to do that is by continuing to grow.”

But Ron Thoreson, chairman of Stop N.C. Annexation, called annexation a “tax grab” used “so the politicians don’t have to raise the taxes of the people who voted them into office.”

“People make the choice to be outside a municipally governed area,” he said. Residents whose property is annexed “are forced to pay for services that you don’t want or you don’t need.”

The group maintains that residents in an area considered for annexation should be able to vote on whether the land will be taken in by a city.

In a 5-2 vote last month, Asheville City Council made official its intent to annex six areas around the city containing a total of 750 acres. A public hearing on the plan is slated for June 14.

Wednesday’s rally by design coincides with a “Town Hall Day” meeting the N.C. League of Municipalities is holding with legislators in Raleigh. The league strongly opposes changing the state’s laws on annexation.

“Annexation authority allows a city or town to include on its boundaries more of the citizens and property it actually serves when the area becomes urban,” according to the league. “Without annexation, municipal residents, with their tax dollars, subsidize the municipal services that non-residents receive. These include streets, transportation, police, fire, EMS, parks, recreation, cultural, economic development and other services.”

Contact Morrison at 232-5849 or cmorrison@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

---

Areas to be annexed under Asheville City Council plan:

• 204 acres of the Ridgefield Business Park, located near the intersection of Brevard and Sardis roads

• 33 acres of the Ascot Point Village off Hendersonville Road near the Mill Stone subdivision

• 224 acres along Long Shoals Road between Overlook Road and Schenck Parkway

• 251 acres along Airport Road from the intersection of Sweeten Creek and Hendersonville roads to Loop Road

• One acre at Two Town Square near the intersection of Schenck Parkway and Town Square Boulevard

• 37 acres east of Town Square Boulevard.

---

I say: If it ever looks like these morons are winning, simply annex Buncombe County. That'll fix 'em. Bastards.

Old Posted May 18, 2005, 10:49 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Mountain X-Press (05/18/05)

Seconds fat: New study could bury eight-lane option for I-26 Connector
by Cecil Bothwell (additional reporting by Steve Rasmussen)

A new traffic study funded by the N.C. Department of Transportation may have sounded the death knell for an eight-lane Interstate 26 Connector through West Asheville. The study found only a minimal difference in drive times between the six- and eight-lane options and appears to contradict the DOT's long-running argument that eight lanes are needed to avoid unacceptable levels of congestion.

Last August (and again in November), the Asheville City Council asked the DOT to re-examine the data using a computer program called CORSIM (see "A Last Ditch Effort," Nov. 24 Xpress). "CORSIM [an acronym for corridor simulation] is the recognized state of the practice for traffic simulation," DOT Plan Review Engineer Nathan K. Phillips noted in a memorandum replying to Council's August request.

Eight-laning, the new study found, would shave 9.6 seconds off the travel time from Interstate 40 to the North Broadway intersection during the afternoon commute, compared to the six-lane option. Driving the same route in the opposite direction, having eight lanes would save 17.4 seconds. The difference in morning drive times is too tiny for the CORSIM program to meaningfully measure, according to Stantec Consulting Services, which conducted the study for the DOT.

A congestion simulation that Asheville Traffic Engineer Anthony Butzek prepared based on the CORSIM study could loom even larger in derailing the eight-lane option. The congestion study rates the level of service for the six-lane alternative as C on most segments and never falling below D. Both those ratings are considered acceptable by the DOT. For years, however, the agency has argued for the eight-lane configuration, citing earlier studies that said fewer lanes would result in unacceptable congestion.

The incredible shrinking estimates
In 2002, when the DOT was making its case to local officials for an eight-lane connector, the agency maintained that 143,000 vehicles per day would be using that stretch of freeway in 2025. (According to the DOT, eight lanes have a carrying capacity of 138,000 vehicles per day; six lanes can carry 103,500 vehicles, and four lanes can accommodate 69,000 vehicles per day.)

The department radically altered this estimate in 2003, after a study that covered a larger area and used more realistic employment and population-growth projections produced a traffic estimate that was more than 30 percent lower (99,100 vehicles per day – well below what six lanes could handle). But the agency insisted that the extra lanes were still needed to avoid falling below a D rating.

Council member Brownie Newman (who, together with Butzek, had urged City Council to press for the new study) told Xpress: "The DOT is to be applauded for conducting this state-of-the-art traffic study. It's hard to avoid the conclusion that continued advocacy for an eight-lane freeway will further delay the project, waste millions in taxpayer dollars and harm West Asheville. And for what? Eight seconds of drive time? It's time to move on."

Vice Mayor Carl Mumpower, meanwhile, said: "I pushed for further study because the DOT has not provided clear and consistent data upon which to solidify a recommendation. Hopefully this final effort will shine enough light on the facts that the majority of the community can land on a final lane configuration and press forward." He added, "I don't have a dog in the fight in terms of six or eight, but I do want us to make a fact-based choice on the right one for the job."

Construction on the I-26 Connector project is scheduled to begin in 2012.

Old Posted May 19, 2005, 10:06 AM

Yeah!! Hopefully the Citizen-Times' prediction on this one will be correct. And even Mumpower's on board now? Looks like somebody at the DOT finally woke up. Go here to read my opinion of the I-26 connector...

Now if only they could speed up construction, because the congestion on the Smoky Park Bridge can be terrible, and the I-240/I-26/Patton/Westgate/Sam's Club interchange on the west end of the bridge has one of those configurations where you wonder what the f*** the designers were thinking.

Oh yeah, there's the junction of I-40/I-240/I-26, too. hardly a week goes by without a truck flipping over or at least somebody getting hurt because of the dangerous ramps. For some reason, someone decided to design them with left exits, left merges, limited visibility, and deceptively sharp curves. That one needed to be redesigned from the second it first went down on paper. I only hope they replant some trees in the spaces between the ramps; a giant grassy field is too huge of a scar.

Last edited by orulz; May 19, 2005 at 10:14 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2005, 4:41 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (05/23/05)

Serving us a theater feast
Stoneleaf festival stages more than 100 performances in 10 days
By Tony Kiss
ENTERTAINMENT EDITOR

ASHEVILLE — There are easier and faster ways to make money, but Bradley Smith long ago decided his life was on the stage.

So two years ago, he and his partners John Catron and Jenna Close moved from Louisville, Ky., to Asheville to base their acting company, Theatre of a Thousand Juliets.

“Asheville is a vibrant artistic community,” said Smith, 26. “It seemed like the ideal place.”

Now they’re hoping to win more fans — and exposure — at the first Stoneleaf Festival of North Carolina Theatre, opening Friday in Asheville. “Stoneleaf will help,” he said. “A wider audience will see our work because of this festival.’’

A celebration of the state’s live theaters, Stoneleaf will feature about two dozen acting companies giving 100-plus performances in a 10-day stretch, using almost every stage in town. Some are local groups, but others are making the haul from Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill and elsewhere. The goal is to sell at least 7,000 tickets.

It’s organized by the nonprofit North Carolina Theatre Conference, which supports, promotes and advises all levels of the state’s theaters. In the works for a year and a half, invitations were made to theaters across the state, said NCTC president Charlie McIver, the artistic director of Asheville’s N.C. Stage Company.

“We got a lot of response, more than we anticipated,” he said. “One of our reasons for doing this is to create excitement about North Carolina theater. And they all want to be part of that.”

Attending will be famed award-winning playwright Romulus Linney, here for the opening performance of his play “Silver River” and to speak at festival events. Linney’s daughter is the Oscar-nominated actress Laura Linney.

Why Asheville

There are bigger cities in North Carolina. But Asheville was the “obvious” location, since the town is already a nationally known tourist destination, and home to many local live theaters, said Terry Milner, the NCTC executive director.

“We have faith that there is an audience out there” for the festival, he said. “You don’t go into the theater business without a lot of faith.” Hopefully, the Stoneleaf audiences “will come here from all over, then go back home with a new awareness of what (these theaters) are doing,” he said.

It won’t be easy, or cheap. Stoneleaf has a budget of about $300,000. While the festival booked the performing spaces, each acting group is paying its own expenses.

On the road

“Without a doubt, it’s a financial risk,” said actor-producer David zum Brunnen of EbzB productions from the Raleigh-Durham area. “It’s a pay-it-forward (project). It’s a chance to exhibit our work to another audience in another region.”

He is starring in the one-man show “Via Dolorosa,” a co-production with Deep Dish Theatre of Chapel Hill, about the British playwright David Hare and his travels through the Middle East. “It will be the most politically-charged piece” in Stoneleaf, said zum Brunnen, who spent several seasons performing at Southern Appalachian Repertory Theatre (SART) with his wife Serena Ebhardt.

Something different

Stoneleaf will also let theaters do experimental plays, such as “inn/between, a hotel play,” by Asheville’s Redundant Theatre Company Theatre (yes, that it’s name). The show is a series of “inter-connected” scenes that will move from space to space inside the Haywood Park Hotel, with the audience following along.

“We would have done something (for a spring show), but I don’t think we would have done this,” said actor Willie Repoley. “We will be taking it to another level, which is what we like to do.”

‘Shakespeare (abridged)’ returns

The hottest ticket at Stoneleaf might be “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged),” a joint production between Asheville’s North Carolina Stage Company and the region’s premiere live theater, Flat Rock Playhouse. The wild comedy (in which three actors attempt to do all the Bard’s work at breakneck pace) played to turn-away crowds last fall at N.C. Stage.

To make it happen required some really juggling — Flat Rock is well into its own season with rehearsals and performances underway. “It’s going to be a four-ring circus,” said Flat Rock executive director Robin Farquhar. “But we felt the demand for (“Shakespeare”) hadn’t been met and we could fulfill it and participate in Stoneleaf.”

With an annual budget of $2.5 million, and 85,000 tickets sold last season, Flat Rock Playhouse is among the state’s most successful theaters, Milner said.

“But I am never going to take anything for granted,” said Farquhar. “We are grateful that people come to Flat Rock Playhouse.”

Contact Kiss at 232-5855 or tkiss@CITIZEN-TIMES.com, but for theater tickets or showtimes, contact the festival at www.stoneleaftheatrefestival.org

---

Good things happen when you invest in the arts!

Old Posted May 25, 2005, 11:21 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Mountain X-Press (05/25/05)

Tracking by ectoplasm: Touring downtown's haunts with Asheville's ghost hunter
by Steve Shanafelt

Joshua Warren, our tour leader, and his assistant Caleb Hanks stand outside Barley's Taproom smoking a final pre-tour cigarette. As he chats with our small crowd, Warren emits the confidence of a well-practiced magician. He seems far older than his mere 28 years, and if he's nervous, he doesn't show it.

But he'd have good reason to be nervous, frankly. This isn't just some early-evening walk around scenic downtown Asheville. Tonight, we're hunting ghosts.

Warren is president of the League of Energy Materialization and Unexplained phenomena Research, or LEMUR, and he's spent the last 10 years in serious study of ethereal presences, phantom lights and other strange occurrences that most scientific researchers would likely dismiss as paranormal bunk. He's even written a book about area ghosts, Haunted Asheville (Shadowbox, 1996), which has since become the de facto guide for area spook seekers.

The tours remain a little rough, having started only a few weeks ago, and Warren is still in the process of training his guides. As a result, the aura is anything but frightening. In spite of this lighthearted mood, though, Warren makes it clear that he takes his pursuit of the unseen very seriously.

He remarks: "One thing about this tour, as opposed to other tours, is that we are ghost hunters" (read: not everyday tour guides). His voice is as clear and professional as a radio announcer's – not surprising, since he also hosts the Saturday-night paranormal call-in show "Speaking of Strange" on AM 570 WWNC.

"Let's go."

As we walk toward Church Street, Warren begins telling us about the old unmarked graves said to have been paved over to make room for the roads. This street, he says, is home to many strange sightings. Before we get to the row of churches that give the street its name, however, our leader stops us and begins fishing around in the bag his assistant is carrying.

"Sometimes you get lucky," says Warren, pulling out a few strange items from the satchel. "You get to see something anomalous or ghostly with your naked eyes. Other times, if you take a picture, you get something you might not be able to see. I'll give you a demonstration of what I'm talking about."

He pulls out a tiny electric pocket fan, and turns it on. Like the twirling blades of the fan, he says, many extra-natural events happen too fast to see unaided. In his other hand is something that looks like a 1950s sci-fi movie weapon – a miniature strobe light. He flicks a switch and makes the beam hover over the whirring blades. In the flashes, we see what he means: frozen glimpses of ghostly propellers.

"Your camera's shutter speed," says Warren, "allows the invisible to become visible."

At this point, Warren's assistant begins passing out "EMF Meters," the tour's prime ghost-hunting tools. We are each handed a smallish box, roughly the size of a Zippo lighter, made of milky-white plastic. (According to Warren, they also glow in the dark.) On top is a thin antenna, flexible and coated in black plastic. There's a single, unmarked switch along the side. At the very bottom, next to the seam that joins the two plastic halves that conceal the inner workings, is a red light.

When that light turns on, Warren says, this tiny machine is detecting a powerful electromagnetic field.

"What we find is that there is some kind of strange connection between electromagnetic anomalies and the places where people experience ghostly activities," he explains.

We are told to keep an eye on our meters throughout the tour. If they come on, we could be in the presence of something not of this world.

Why Barley's has red pool tables
Warren leads us on a meandering tour of downtown Asheville. We walk by a building said to be plagued by apparitions of the falling bodies of Depression-era bankers; past unassuming hotels with histories of grim murders; through a placid city park that supposedly hosts the spirits of forgotten Civil War soldiers; and along a storefront allegedly troubled by, of all things, a phantom intercom system.

Not unexpectedly, concrete details are scarce. Most of these stories are rumors, or at best, curious anecdotes – but Warren doesn't seem bothered by this. Each new story is another hunt he has yet to go on, and tonight, we are his field researchers.

At one point, as we walk up Walnut Street, one of the EMF meters suddenly shudders to life. The red glow of the meter's light seems to be picking up something on the street just outside Gypsy Moon. For a moment, there is excitement.

After a brief examination, however, Warren tells us the meters are detecting the row of lights lining the window. Unless those lights are also haunted with the spirits of the waking dead, there's nothing more to see here.

Of course, not everything on the tour is quite as intangible as Warren's ghosts. Some of the stories are rooted in real blood – for instance, the strange events at Barley's Tap Room, which also serves as the tour's home base.

Here, we are told, is the scene of Asheville's biggest mass murder, a 1906 shooting spree that claimed the lives of five people, including two police officers. Step by red step, Warren leads us through a tale about a man named Will Harris, who killed his way up Eagle Street and down Broadway in a drunken, jealous rage.

These bloody events, Warren says, center around the very site where Barley's now stands.

Warren then tells about brief snippets of spooky happenings inside the bar, from unexplained sounds and ghostly voices to the odd story of the seemingly possessed service elevator. Ghosts or no ghosts, these are good yarns spun elegantly around a real-life tale of horror. (Later, however, over drinks at the bar, Doug Beatty, Barley's owner – and partner in the Haunted Asheville Ghost Tours – confirms most of these stories, and adds a few of his own.)

At the end of the tour, we stare at a grainy post-manhunt photo of Harris' bullet-riddled corpse while Warren collects the tiny EMF detectors. They are for sale, he reminds us, just in case we'd like to do a little freelance ghost hunting of our own.

[Joshua Warren's Haunted Asheville Ghost Tour is currently available by reservation only, although regular hours will likely start this summer. The tour lasts 60 minutes, and involves light walking. $13/adults, $7/children age 14 and under. For times and availability, call 216-3383 or visit www.hauntedasheville.com.

Old Posted May 26, 2005, 4:24 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (05/26/05

Neighbors, developer strike deal
Pact has The Grove apartments adding improvements to Montford
By Mark Barrett
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — A neighborhood-developer agreement for improvements near a Montford apartment complex is a good deal for the neighborhood under the circumstances, say two Montford residents who negotiated it.

Campus Crest of Asheville, developer of the 154-unit The Grove apartment complex now under construction on the northern end of Montford Avenue, agreed recently to install a wooden fence on the Montford Avenue side of the property, improve landscaping in that area and build two pedestrian islands on the street.

Neighbors had complained that workers cut trees and shrubs that neighbors had expected to remain based on a statement made by a Campus Crest official during an August City Council hearing on whether the city should approve the project. The Greensboro-based company said the discovery of a pipe discharging storm water onto the site necessitated additional cutting.

Council in January declined to take formal action against Campus Crest but decided to push for neighborhood-developer talks to find ways to mitigate project impacts.

“Given all the complexities and the lack of closely monitoring (the project) from the city, I think it worked out well,” said Gerald Green, one of two Montford residents who negotiated with Campus Crest.

“Obviously, nothing can replace those mature trees that were at the site. … Certainly this is not truly a substitute for those trees,” said Dee Eggers, the other neighborhood representative.

But, Eggers said, the agreement “is a good outcome for Montford, considering our starting point.”

Campus Crest manager Michael Hartnett said the negotiations have been “a very positive experience… We had a misunderstanding in the beginning but everything was resolved in a neighborly fashion.”

The complex will contain 448 bedrooms and is marketed to UNC Asheville students. Construction should be finished in early July, Hartnett said.

The landscaped pedestrian islands will be located near the intersections of Montford and Courtland Avenue and Montford and Watauga Street and will cost Campus Crest a total of about $30,000, Green said.

They are designed to beautify the neighborhood, make it easier to walk across Montford and slow traffic, which Eggers said often moves too quickly through the predominantly residential area.

Neighbors raised traffic concerns when City Council was deciding whether to approve The Grove.

Neighborhood reaction to the deal has been mixed, Eggers said.

“Some people think it’s wonderful. Some people are glad we got at least something,” she said. Others think developers should have done more.

Willie Williams, who can see the complex from his front door, said he isn’t going to worry about it: “I don’t see it as a big deal.”

Contact Barrett at 232-5833 or mbarrett@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

---

I've seen this development under construction and it's pretty grim. Had I been a neighbor I'd have been livid at watching this piece of crap going up.

Old Posted May 28, 2005, 8:21 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (05/28/05)

Competition drives employee-owned Blue Moon Bakery to close
By Chris Armstrong
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE - A statue of a crying moon sits in the window of the Blue Moon Bakery and Cafe on Biltmore Avenue. Nearby, a notice lets people know the longtime establishment is now out of business.

On Friday, customers wondered why Blue Moon had closed as they walked by the bakery where coffee, pastries and sandwiches had been served since September 1992.

"It's kind of ironic because we have a lot of locals that recognize Blue Moon, the name," said Jason McMahan, one of Blue Moon's six co-owners. "We tried to make it work with the customers we had regularly, but it just was not enough. I've been here for four years, and there has been a lot of competition that has sprung up in the area."

A group of workers in December 2003 bought the bakery and cafe from Terry and Elizabeth Simmonds.

In an Asheville Citizen-Times story a short time later, one of those workers - Irene Mitchell - said "the jury's still out" with regard to the company's multiperson ownership.

Now that Blue Moon is closed, Mitchell, like McMahan, blames the business' demise on increased competition, including corporate chains around Asheville.

Seth Connelly of Fairview, who was outside Blue Moon on Friday, said, "it's a flooded market for this type of business, in downtown particularly."

Karen Hansen and her friend Frederika Gravenstein on Friday peered through the bakery's window, saddened at the sight of workers packing boxes and stacking their cooking utensils. The two said they had been loyal customers for nine years.

"It's lousy," Hansen said after realizing her favorite sandwich shop is out of business.

"It was a nice gathering place," Gravenstein said. "You always ran into people you knew. What happened?"

Another loyal customer was Watson Simms. He said he'll miss meeting his son for lunch on a regular basis at the Blue Moon.

"But," he says, "Burger King will never replace the Blue Moon."

Contact Armstrong at 236-8971.

---

On the one hand, whenever some sort of "high concept" venture fails, such as an employee-owned bakery, you have to wonder if it was simply inept management rather than competition from chains. On another hand, perhaps they offered an inferior product, as many independent businesses do. For instance, I speak from experience when I say that Starbucks, evil as it is, is the only place that can make a consistently good frappucino, which is the only way I care to drink coffee (it's as thick and sweet as a milkshake, for those of you in the cheap seats). Then again, perhaps they actually did offer a superior product, but just couldn't make a go of it against the likes of the Atlanta Bread Company.

I suspect though, that these people are not the victims they make themselves out to be.

Old Posted May 29, 2005, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc
I suspect though, that these people are not the victims they make themselves out to be.
All the same, it's a shame to see Blue Moon fall by the wayside. In my mind they were an institution in downtown Asheville. I suspect that no single factor caused their downfall, but rather a number of things came together to finally make them have to shut down.

I wouldn't be too surprised if someone came in and bought them out for the location and the name recognition. I won't get my hopes up, though.

Old Posted May 29, 2005, 8:10 PM
A gruff individual.

This is the second high profile business to fail in downtown Asheville recently, and it does have me worried. First it was Vincent's Ear, whose landlord made no secret about the fact they were kicking out the coffeehouse in order to free up space for higher end business able to pay more rent, and appealing to another class of customer. Now it's Blue Moon, which I never set foot in, but recognized.

Whenever I get concerned that downtown Asheville is losing its edge and its vibe, its things like this that I think of.

Old Posted May 30, 2005, 12:51 AM
Red October standing by

you're dedicated. even if few people read this, your dedication's admirable.

-

-fflint

Old Posted May 30, 2005, 1:14 AM

I read most of it.

Old Posted May 30, 2005, 2:42 AM
A gruff individual.

I had another thread like this going once, but gave it up because so few people read it. Now however, since there's so much -- relatively -- residential development, plus the new central park, I thought bona fide urban development news might appeal to more people.

Old Posted May 30, 2005, 4:45 AM
Fourth and Main

Actually I was the one who started the last Asheville News Thread. I thought a thread with a lot of replies would attract a lot of attention. Also some forum members were complaining about the Asheville threads I started. It seems my one or two threads on a small city bumped their threads on their larger cities. I also had one on W-S too. When a new page started in the threads, I would post a photo(s), some fun facts and a line of scripture in both threads as an intro to the new page. It was just hauntedheadnc and me posting in the Asheville thread, so I called it and the other one a failure and ended both threads. They received 5 page views or less, even when new topics were posted in them. I learned to never post news threads again. Recently I talked with hauntedheadnc about the lack of anything posted on Asheville here and hauntedheadnc started this thread as a revival of my old Asheville News Thread. It's doing ok, but nothing beats telling people in the thread titles what the news is. A lot of people don't click on everything, but they do read the titles. If you post "New 12-storey Asheville condo tower" as it's own thread with that as the title, someone who never clicked on an Asheville thread in their life will instantly know a 12-storey condo tower is proposed in Asheville. If you post that same thread in "The Asheville News Thread," that same person may never know about the condo tower.

I will miss the Blue Moon. I use to do freelance work for Jeff at the little graphic design agency above the Blue Moon. When I visited the main office (which is very cool with all kinds of Atlanta awards) I would stop in at the Blue Moon for lunch. It wasn't the greatest restaurant on the face of the earth, but it was a great sandwich shop. They always had a small crowd, which is why I can't understand them closing? It looked like they were doing well? I will miss them. I think their location was also somewhat to blame. That isn't exactly the best location for foot traffic, but there are some offices and residences near-by. I think that was the heart of their business. Their assistant designer (who now works as an assistant for a corporate head hunter) also use to go down with me for a break to talk. Jeff (art director) and his #2 guy in the office beside his would also use to stop in. The lack of more offices on that end had to hurt them, because the offices that are there were regulars. I only stopped-in when I was on that side of Biltmore.

Old Posted May 31, 2005, 4:30 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (05/31/05)

Project gives fresh look to local airport
Asheville Regional working toward more modern interior
By Mark Barrett
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — The interior of the Asheville Regional Airport terminal is getting a $1.5 million face-lift.

The work begun recently might not be extensive enough to launch yet another of those personal or home transformation television shows, say, “Extreme Makeover — Airport Edition.” But over the next seven months, workers will replace flooring, some wall and counter surfaces and ceiling panels in the older parts of the building.

The idea is to give the building “a more modern look,” said Susan Phillips, the airport’s director of marketing and public affairs.

The project is the first of several changes in public facilities passengers using Asheville Regional can expect this year. The airport signed a contract this week to bring a new food vendor to the airport and plans to add 150 public parking spaces over the next few months.

Asheville Regional has seen a surge in usage over the past year and a half. Passenger traffic for the first four months of 2005 was up 40 percent over the same period of 2004.

About $1 million of the $1.5 million price tag for the interior work will go toward a new fire sprinkler system, replacing outdated equipment in many areas, Phillips said. The money comes from local, state and federal sources.

The interior face-lift will occur in the oldest part of the terminal, primarily the ticket counter area and main passenger lounge.

Travelers may have to avoid roped-off areas from time to time, but, “there will be very little work that we expect to be done in the daytime,” Phillips said. “People will see that ceiling tiles are missing or that we’re installing things” but should not experience delays moving through the terminal, she said.

The face-lift is being done by Asheville-based H&M Constructors.

William Murdock, executive director of Eblen Charities and a frequent passenger through Asheville Regional, said he hasn’t felt the inside of the terminal is dated but welcomed changes.

“Once you walk inside, I think it’s as modern as any place I’ve seen,” he said.

He says he uses Asheville Regional because of convenience and to support a local institution. The planned improvements, however, “certainly would be more of an incentive,” he said.

Contact Barrett at 232-5833 or mbarrett@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

On the Net: Asheville Regional Airport: www.flyavl.com

---

Sidebar

Food, drink and asphalt

Asheville Regional Airport officials think there will be enough parking to handle passengers’ vehicles this summer despite dramatically higher passenger numbers, Director of Marketing and Public Affairs Susan Phillips said, although travelers should allow some extra time to find a spot.

“Typically in the past, you drive in and there was instantly a space,” she said.

For the time being, the airport is prepared to send passengers to park in the employee lot south of the terminal if public parking fills up, Phillips said. Officials plan to make available 150 more spaces by taking space from a lot now used by rental car companies to the southwest of the terminal. Phillips said the new section should be ready by early fall.

A consulting firm is looking at what should be done to augment the existing 1,000 parking spaces and at other long-term growth issues and should report back this summer, she said.
Last week, the airport signed a five-year contract with MSE Branded Food Systems of Gainesville, Ga., to take over food and beverage operations at the airport, Phillips said.
The company will offer Subway sandwiches, Nathan’s Famous hot dogs and Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, and will operate a Buckhead Grill restaurant, J.J. Sports Bar and gourmet coffee kiosks in the airport. Some items will be available to passengers after they have passed through security, she said.

Renovations are scheduled to begin in July and should be finished in August, Phillips said

---

---

It used to be that this was a sleepy, almost useless little airport, but recently there's been a major push to make it a viable major gateway to the city and region. Used to, you could only fly to a few places like Charlotte, Atlanta, and Raleigh-Durham. Now, however, you've got Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, Cincinnati, New York (Newark), Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Houston, Orlando, and on a trial basis this summer, Washington and Philadelphia. More and more, the airport is becoming a major way to come to town, and that's a wonderful thing as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted May 31, 2005, 4:44 AM
Fourth and Main

I live not far from the airport. Back when I was in high school, that parkinglot was near full. In the afternoon, you could see the US Air jets on the runway as you drove past it. They of course cancelled that service after 9/11. I think that was the wake-up call to bring new life to the old airport. With all the recent new flight announcements, I'm surprised they haven't seen the need to add a huge parking deck. While not attractive on the front, they could add it to the side or hide it behind great architecture or landscaping. Over the past two or three years we've tried to buy a major airport by offering airlines money for flights or lower fares and renovating the building. Now we can finally see the changes of our Asheville vs. Greenville airport war. They also invested in a nice website, if you haven't seen it lately. You can track flights and compare costs with Greenville. This is also bringing more growth around the airport. Some of it welcome and some of it not. I worry that the fairgrounds could be sold-off for strip shopping or hotels. That road is not built to handle a lot of traffic and already the widening is on the board.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast