HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:32 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
nice update in the BBJ about the 8 historic tax credit projects and their status:

How Bham's historic renovation tax credit projects are progressing

(having trouble posting the graphic for some reason..)

Source

I fooled around with the URL and go it to work

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 9:08 PM
Burming Hammer

^sweet! thanks.

nice little graphic.

that photo for #3 shows the window openings I was talking about.

Also, I'm not encouraged by the lack of response from the LEER/Cabana/TJ Hotel camp...

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 4:49 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Historic Florentine building in downtown Birmingham reopens as event venue

Jon Reed
AL.com
January 30, 2015
LINK

Quote:

The Florentine Building, at Second Avenue North and Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard, first opened in 1926 and has always been an events center. It sat empty for about six and a half years until Corretti Catering, run by Ken Effinger and Rebecca Corretti, bought it and remodeled it.

Friday night they showed off the newly renovated ballroom and the first-floor café at an event attended by hundreds, including local leaders.

The restored venue will generate 45 new jobs and house wedding receptions and corporate events, officials said. It will also add more lights and foot traffic to a growing area of entertainment in Birmingham's city center, said David Fleming, the president and CEO of REV Birmingham.

The renovation preserved the original elements of the building, which was designed by architect Henry Upton Sims to mimic Italian architecture. It was originally planned to be a 10-floor building, but only two were built.

The restoration was helped by Alabama's Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits, supported by former state Rep. Paul DeMarco. It was one of 12 projects underway in Birmingham's city center using the tax credit.

Now, the building is home to the pair's catering business, Corretti Catering. The business moved from its former building, the Carraway-Davie House in Liberty Park, selling that building to Cahaba Park Church.

"There's a lot happening downtown," Effinger said, "and it's a great place to be."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 7:09 PM
Burming Hammer

any of y'all follow the I Believe In Birmingham group on Facebook?

one of the members says that workers, small equipment and even a dumpster are onsite at Leer Tower...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 11:02 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 11:47 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Yes! This is one of the crucial projects I think that just has to happen because it has been so wishy washy over the years.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 4:15 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Construction underway on historic Thomas Jefferson Tower

Bryan Davis
February 12, 2015
Birmingham Business Journal
LINK

Quote:
Developers have started construction on the historic Thomas Jefferson Tower (Leer Tower) in downtown Birmingham.

The $22 million project will convert the building into 96 apartments, with 7,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

"Downtown Birmingham's occupancy rates are consistently near 100 percent," Beshara said in a statement. "We think market demand for well-finished units with high-rise views of downtown will be strong. We hope that bringing such a uniquely significant historic building back to life will be one of those projects that can help create a vibrant center of gravity for the immediate area and even more demand for City Center living in Birmingham."

Built in 1929 as the Thomas Jefferson Hotel, the building has been the subject of redevelopment for a number of years. In a release by REV Birmingham this week, Mayor William Bell said the project will provide significant benefits for the public and private sectors.

"The Thomas Jefferson Tower will raise the bar for public and private improvement in the district and expand the downtown neighborhood," Bell said.

The renovation of the Pizitz building and the Powell School project should get underway in 2015 as well.

"Thomas Jefferson Tower is one of those projects that proves this tax credit returns many times over for the cities that can use it, and for the state," said REV Birmingham CEO David Fleming.

"The new Florentine Building, historic Powell School, Pizitz Building and others represent tens of millions of dollars worth of reinvestment in our City Center enabled by the State Historic Tax Credit. That's a great return on investment for taxpayers."

One of the things I really love about Birmingham is that there are so many large historic properties that can be, and are being, restored. Shiny buildings are nice, but I'd rather is towers like this reinvent the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 4:36 PM
Burming Hammer

this one is particularly significant (in my opinion) because of how far west it is, relative to the loft district and other downtown apartment buildings. even on the skyline, this building is sort of an outlier.

encouraging to see development move that way on the north side.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 6:56 PM
Burming Hammer

Venue at the Ballpark construction photos (taken from their facebook page):

you can see the negro league museum in the background of the first pic (not to mention the stockyard and leer tower..)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 5:44 AM
Cat Enthusiast

A good read for those among us to have continued to be pessimistic about Birmingham's future...

Don't believe Birmingham has changed? See what's happening now

John Archibald
Birmingham News
AL.com
February 15, 2015
LINK

Quote:
Birmingham is changing.

Not like they used to say changing. Not in that code that too often dripped with racial innuendo, that hinted that if you were still in this town you should bundle up your kids and get out now.

Birmingham is changing. From that.

If you can't see it now, if parks and museums and New York press clipping aren't enough to make you a believer, that's OK. Wait 'til next year.

Projects going on now, and those about to start, by then will take doubters by the lapels and shake them until the scales fall from their eyes.

Work on the Lyric Theatre will be finished - finished -- around the end of the year, adding another century-old jewel to a glittering Theater District.

Restoration of the historic Redmont Hotel will be completed this summer, with 115 refurbished rooms and a fresh lobby and bar.

Demolition will begin this month inside the Thomas Jefferson Hotel, that 20-story building that fell into disrepair under the Leer Tower name. I know we've heard it before, but builders now have permits and will begin ripping out the guts this month. They plan to build "edgy" apartments aimed at Millennials, with exposed concrete and steel and washer/driers you can dump clothes in before work, and have them washed and dried in the same contraption when you come home. I'd call that cool. Millennials, the target audience, might think it on fleek.

And there is the Publix, underway at Third Avenue South and 20th Street. By next year it will bring a long-awaited supermarket downtown, plus parking and shops and luxury apartments aimed at professionals.

After all the doubt. After all the starts and stops and the false hopes, Birmingham is building a future that doesn't give two spits about holding on to past disappointments.

Because all those who told us we could not do better are dead. Or gone. Or dying.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 1:19 AM
Burming Hammer

Revelator Coffee to open roastery, headquarters in downtown Birmingham

on the surface, a fairly small announcement. but significant for a couple of reasons: a company is moving from New Orleans to downtown Birmingham, and it's WEST of I-65. interesting choice, but nice to see growth headed that direction.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 7:08 AM
Cat Enthusiast

West of 65 AND a new headquarters?! That's a big damn win!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 3:15 PM
Burming Hammer

Cahaba Brewing moving to Continental Gin site in Avondale

Literally 2 minutes from my house... and I thought Avondale Brewery was close!

Interesting location choice, but I think I like it. Hopefully will help growth in the Crestwood and East Avondale areas. This isn't the area you think of when you hear "Avondale" (i.e. 41st street), so I don't think it will compete directly with them.

I'm just glad to see them getting out of their current location. Terrible parking, small facility, nothing else nearby, etc...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 8:58 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Cahaba Brewing moving to Continental Gin site in Avondale

Literally 2 minutes from my house... and I thought Avondale Brewery was close!

Interesting location choice, but I think I like it. Hopefully will help growth in the Crestwood and East Avondale areas. This isn't the area you think of when you hear "Avondale" (i.e. 41st street), so I don't think it will compete directly with them.

I'm just glad to see them getting out of their current location. Terrible parking, small facility, nothing else nearby, etc...
Also, the fact that they'll take over the canning of their product instead of contracting it out of state is good news for jobs.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 11:21 PM
Burming Hammer

ok seriously... didn't think it was possible for something to be announced EVEN CLOSER to my house than the cahaba brewery, but I was wrong...

Rogue Tavern owners to open Filling Station on Crestwood Blvd

finally a restaurant I can walk to.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 12:42 AM
Burming Hammer

I think I had mentioned this previously, so no real surprise... hope it gets developed soon though...

Developers cancel $7.5 million Parisian project at Booker T. Washington Building

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 2:47 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I think I had mentioned this previously, so no real surprise... hope it gets developed soon though...

Developers cancel $7.5 million Parisian project at Booker T. Washington Building
Not too surprised. This project would have been awesome, but I think that the TJT will more than make up for it.

Once the Thomas Jefferson Tower is finished, it will create a nucleus that will allow development to radiate from it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:51 PM
The Salty Ham

At least the building is under contract, so all is not lost.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:27 PM
Burming Hammer

yeah, sounds like more an issue with the previous developer, not a lack of demand.

I gotta think the opening of the Lyric will speed this up.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 3:38 AM
Burming Hammer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast