HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Contrary to what some say, it's not just the suburban ones. The one in Kerrisdale is always packed. So is the Reserve one at Main and 13th, despite a JJ Beans across from it and 49th Parallel just down the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Kerrisdale is a suburb, and so is Main, although Main has more coffee selections. JJ Beans has way better coffee than Starbucks.
It's JJ Bean. No s.

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Did I say it has stopped growing? Our coffee culture isn't quite there yet, especially in the suburbs, and that's why Starbucks is still growing. However, the overall growth has slowed down considerably since the heydays of Starbucks stores opening. After the Seattle-based chain started opening in Vancouver's city centre, there had been no closures for years. However, there have been more of them closing in the city centre recently, especially when better coffee places can be found nearby.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...rbucks/revenue

As for other parts of the country, try guessing why it has so few stores in Quebec. Well, French-Canadians already have a relatively strong coffee culture compared to the Anglophones, and hence it's harder for Starbucks to succeed there. The English drink tea, and French cafe, kapish?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...73774B20110408

In Europe, see this chart to know which countries they are most successful in...you guessed it, the UK: the country with the most crappy coffee culture!
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...res-in-europe/

Indeed, your opinions are just that, opinions.
You spoke of the “demise of Starbucks”. I countered with facts that there is no truth to your opinions in Vancouver.

You don’t know why certain locations have closed whereas others do. Some opinions are informed while others are not. That is the difference.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:01 AM

Edmonton lost 6 starbucks, but they were going to open 8 new ones. So thats just the way Starbucks does things. When leases expire or whatever they often decide to move out it seems.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Kerrisdale is a suburb, and so is Main, although Main has more coffee selections. JJ Beans has way better coffee than Starbucks.
LOL, as usual, so wrong. You must get the vapours when you leave the downtown peninsula and cross one of the bridges.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Edmonton lost 6 starbucks, but they were going to open 8 new ones. So thats just the way Starbucks does things. When leases expire or whatever they often decide to move out it seems.
The Albertan economic downturn had an effect for some locations probably.

Starbucks in its pre-2008 heyday was also pretty freewheeling in terms of where it opened new stores so current changes are perhaps more intelligent in terms of maximizing profits and minimizing costs.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:28 PM

How are Kerrisdale and Main considered suburbs?

In Lougheed, there are about 5 independent local coffeeshops in the vicinity--almost all of them Korean, it seems. But I like them, especially Coffeeholic. I wonder what happened to Coffee Monster? Their other branch in Surrey is always packed. But, yes, it seems strange there is just the one Starbucks in Lougheed. They used to have two with the old Safeway.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post

In Lougheed, there are about 5 independent local coffeeshops in the vicinity--almost all of them Korean, it seems. But I like them, especially Coffeeholic. I wonder what happened to Coffee Monster? Their other branch in Surrey is always packed. But, yes, it seems strange there is just the one Starbucks in Lougheed. They used to have two with the old Safeway.
Probably ownership related if they sold the business or something.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:

But there is 3 timmies and 3 macdonalds along north road

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
LOL, as usual, so wrong. You must get the vapours when you leave the downtown peninsula and cross one of the bridges.
Quote:

I see way too much ego at play here. Kerrisdale and Main north of 12th are all considered suburbs. If they are not suburbs, what are they? Downtown? Come on. As long as downtown Vancouver refuses to expand further, anywhere outside the peninsula and West-Broadway/OV/Mount Pleasant commercial neighbourhoods should be considered suburbs of Vancouver. To me, even Strathcona is a suburb.

Definition of a suburb:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburb
Quote:
A suburb is a mixed-use or residential area, existing either as part of a city or urban area or as a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city.
Quote:
In most English-speaking countries, suburban areas are defined in contrast to central or inner-city areas
whatnext, please own up to the fact that you live in the suburb. Nothing shameful about it yo.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I see way too much ego at play here. Kerrisdale and Main north of 12th are all considered suburbs. If they are not suburbs, what are they? Downtown? Come on. As long as downtown Vancouver refuses to expand further, anywhere outside the peninsula and West-Broadway/OV/Mount Pleasant commercial neighbourhoods should be considered suburbs of Vancouver. To me, even Strathcona is a suburb.

Definition of a suburb:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suburb

whatnext, please own up to the fact that you live in the suburb. Nothing shameful about it yo.
They are not suburbs by any definition. Stop embarassing yourself.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:42 PM

Those areas may have been "streetcar suburbs" 75-100 years ago when large swaths of what is now Vancouver were open fields and forest,
but the City has enveloped them (through amalgamation) and they are no longer "suburbs".

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
They are not suburbs by any definition. Stop embarassing yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Those areas may have been "streetcar suburbs" 75-100 years ago when large swaths of what is now Vancouver were open fields and forest,
but the City has enveloped them (through amalgamation) and they are no longer "suburbs".
Today, would the term "midtown" for the districts in question be applicable? Perhaps not. Opinions requested. Thank you.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 11:10 PM

I've heard Mt Pleasant referred to as "mid-town" before, yes.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 11:12 PM

Main south of 12th is the suburbs? That's just preposterous. As OfficeDweller noted, vast swaths of the city were once 'streetcar suburbs', but they're not what we consider suburbs any longer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 11:40 PM

Some people even refer to Central Broadway as "the suburbs." Doesn't mean they're right, but it's a thing.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 3:39 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Some people even refer to Central Broadway as "the suburbs." Doesn't mean they're right, but it's a thing.
I have to assume this is done facetiously.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Main south of 12th is the suburbs? That's just preposterous. As OfficeDweller noted, vast swaths of the city were once 'streetcar suburbs', but they're not what we consider suburbs any longer.
Deny it all you want, but to me any single family home neighbourhood belongs to the suburb. They don't call it a house with picket fences quaint and idyllic for nothing. A row of one to two-storey shops along the arterial still doesn't change that fact.

That's the definition of a suburb. Look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Today, would the term "midtown" for the districts in question be applicable? Perhaps not. Opinions requested. Thank you.
Central Broadway could pass as "mid-town". but further south, like Shaughnessy is suburb central.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I have to assume this is done facetiously.
Hopefully, yes. Anybody who actually believes that is a few frames short of a walkup.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:26 AM

Well no one, other than Vin, refers to Vancouver proper as the suburbs so that’s that. He can go on thinking what he wants, no matter how many people disagree, as per usual.

We’ve got countless threads filled with a variation on this already.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 8:07 AM

I've heard Champlain heights referred to as the suburbs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy