HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:28 PM

Nothing new?? There are some almost incomprehensible chaotic renderings seemingly made in paint!

Honestly those things are complete madness, I can look at them 10 different times and find something new every time, it's really quite impressive.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Nothing new?? There are some almost incomprehensible chaotic renderings seemingly made in paint!

Honestly those things are complete madness, I can look at them 10 different times and find something new every time, it's really quite impressive.
It's a subtle technique for making see you perceive what they want you to perceive, without making any real commital as to what the final product will look like.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Lol could they cram in anymore trees and marshland in this thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
this place might beat out disneyland for the happiest place on earth. I want to live here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

This is indeed something different than the normal renderings we see with skinny models living their pretentious lives. I counted at least three wheelchairs and yeah, the amount of marshland is spectacular. How would then even archieve that in this location?

Funny stuff.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
That VanCityBuzz article is nothing more than the Pearson Dogwood Lands Policy Statement. There's absolutely no new information in there that hasn't been public available for months.
Breathe deeply please. I didn't know about it. I do other things then post on here. frankly I'm tired of the cattyness on here.
I was wondering if anyone had new info and trying to contribute to the forum.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 12:20 AM

Pretty sure it was more of a shot at VanCity Buzz than at you.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Pretty sure it was more of a shot at VanCity Buzz than at you.
Indeed. Wasn't meant as a snap at you, retro_orange. More of a 'throw up your hands at what passes as news for VanCityBuzz'-sort of situation. And in fairness, I haven't seen the renderings before.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2015, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Indeed. Wasn't meant as a snap at you, retro_orange. More of a 'throw up your hands at what passes as news for VanCityBuzz'-sort of situation. And in fairness, I haven't seen the renderings before.
The article on VanCityBuzz was from Feb. 2014, I randomly stumbled upon it yesterday. I have always wondered about the property but didnt know what to call it. I also found this after posting: http://pearsondogwood.vchnews.ca/

Is there a thread for it I missed?

Old Posted Today, 3:21 AM

Another industrial infill project, this time also a preservation project:

http://changingcitybook.com/2015/08/...st-5th-avenue/

22 East 5th Ave.

http://changingcitybook.com/2015/08/...st-5th-avenue/

Old Posted Today, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
The article on VanCityBuzz was from Feb. 2014, I randomly stumbled upon it yesterday.
Ah, that makes perfect sense!

So far as I know, the rezoning process is slowly, quietly chugging along behind the scenes between Onni and the City. The Pearson Dogwood Lands project is what is considered a 'large site' Major Planning Project, which requires a Policy Statement to be adopted by Council (which has happened) describing the order of magnitude scale of development. The Policy Statement includes general heights (up to 28 storey, if I recall), general density (2.8 FSR/FAR), mixture of uses (residential - market & non-market; retail; institutional; public amenity), and a notional site plan that gives everyone a general sense of what the future development might look like.

Next comes the rezoning and that is where the project stands right now. Onni and its architect and consultants will take the Policy Statement and turn it into a viable development plan, site plan, development program, phasing, and broad-stroke architectural designs. Should the rezoning proposal be approved by Council - assuming that it has not strayed too far from the Policy Statement, this should be a given - it is then free to proceed to detailed design and the development permit stage. This time the Development Permit Board will approve the project and issue the development permit(s) and Onni is free to proceed, taking out building permits to build specific parcels on the phasing schedule and market conditions.

So we still have a ways to go, but this one is real and I expect that they are going to try hard to beat Oakridge to the punch to bring a large amount of new housing product to market in that part of the Cambie Corridor. Plus, the future 57th Avenue Canada Line Station will be funded (details TBD) by the redevelopment of this site and the adjacent Langara Gardens site. That's an extra wrinkle that will need to be ironed out in order to design and phase construction of the Pearson Dogwood Lands project, since the station house and considerable underground mezzanine area will be located on the property.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver