HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 4:50 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by claustrum View Post
The Stateman reports the city's hitting the reboot button on the Seaholm intake facility redesign. Apparently the concern was that the selected design doesn't "respect the architectural integrity of this iconic building".

No explanation as to why city officials only remembered that the building was on the National Register of Historic Places after the fact...
OMG. They put together all of that without actually being able to do any of it? That's almost like another intake structure they had to res-design at the last moment. At least they caught it before they started construction this time, though?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 8:52 AM
World Traveler

^ No kidding. I'd hate to see another issue like the Waller Creek CVC issue, costing taxpayers loads of money after the fact. Kinda silly they just now realized it though...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:46 PM
Member since 2001

Oops. Didn't see y'all had already been discussing this. I found the "intake" thread and put the article link there too.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:48 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^ No kidding. I'd hate to see another issue like the Waller Creek CVC issue, costing taxpayers loads of money after the fact. Kinda silly they just now realized it though...
Yes, I agree. The article said the city has already spent roughly $110,000 toward this project...and nothing to show for it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 1:00 AM

The old burned out house on the hill off the frontage on the east side of I-35 that has been abandoned for ~15 years is being reconstructed. I went by it today, and it almost looked like a new home going up - the roof and walls are being rebuilt. This is next to what will be the 8th & Embassy project IIRC.

EDIT: It's the Tyndall condo project, not 8th & Embassy.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Feb 21, 2016 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The old burned out house on the hill off the frontage on the east side of I-35 that has been abandoned for ~15 years is being reconstructed. I went by it today, and it almost looked like a new home going up - the roof and walls are being rebuilt. This is next to what will be the 8th & Embassy project IIRC.
Good! I'm glad to see they're moving forward with this. It looks like they're incorporating the old house into the design.

http://austintowers.net/tyndall-cond...obertson-hill/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:00 AM

New bowling alley coming to downtown Austin

Quote:
JUDE GALLIGAN | FEBRUARY 23, 2016

I hold the belief that the Big Lebowski made bowling cool in America again. It is certainly a cool thing to do in Austin, with the Highball, and lest we forget Saengerrunde Hall has been keepin’ it real since 1879!

Now, a new bowling alley is on tap for downtown Austin at the former Miller Blueprint building at 501 W. Sixth Street. Public records seem to tie this effort to the team behind the Goodnight, the adults-only gaming venue on Anderson Lane. If true, a downtown Goodnight should do very well on West Sixth.

The two-story building – abandoned since Miller Blueprinting relocated – is slated to be redeveloped into a four-story mutli-use building with a restaurant, cocktail lounge, event space and 9,500 square foot bowling alley.

The project will also bring Great Street improvements, which makes it a win/win/win for downtown Austin. The timeline is to-be-determined, but paperwork is flying at the city’s planning office, which indicates this project is far beyond conception and well into execution.
http://downtownaustinblog.org

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 8:06 PM

The Tyndall condo project is a joke. No street interaction on 8th. Ugly parking garage. How do these warts get approved?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:01 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Omg you are too much. #extra

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd1076 View Post
Good! I'm glad to see they're moving forward with this. It looks like they're incorporating the old house into the design.

http://austintowers.net/tyndall-cond...obertson-hill/
That stinks they have to design around an old single family home. The advantage with old pier and beam homes in decent condition is that they can be relocated. This happens in 78702 all the time with relocations going to Manor, Del Valle, Bastrop, etc. If the home is not structurally sound enough to move then I have to ask is it worth the money to rehab in the first place?

Is it the one at 806 E 9th St.?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 5:08 AM
Meh

The city is planning to move the city's development services department. It's located at One Texas Center, and they're wanting to consolidate. The parking lot surrounding One Texas Center is approved for a midrise office tower. Originally One Texas Center was supposed to have a twin.

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/02/31878/
Quote:
Thursday, February 25, 2016 by Jo Clifton

Development Services move planned

When the Zucker Report came out in 2015, it offered a scathing analysis of the city’s planning and development review functions and compared Austin’s development and permitting processes unfavorably to many other cities, including San Antonio. One of the report’s recommendations was to move employees associated with the development and permitting process from One Texas Center, just across the river from City Hall, to another location where they could all be on one floor.

Although Gonzales had little else to say on the matter, Deputy Chief Financial Officer Greg Canally told the Austin Monitor that the city needs one stand-alone space on one floor for everyone involved in the development review process. Right now, those employees are spread out over five floors at One Texas Center, which is leased space.

One of the city’s busiest development attorneys, Richard Suttle, said he doesn’t think it’s important for all the development and permitting offices to be on the same floor. “I don’t think that’s an important component,” he said. “It’s more important for them to be close to downtown and close to City Hall because they’re constantly being called to City Hall to answer questions. If they were at Mueller, they would take 45 minutes to get downtown.”

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:22 PM

The first emerging projects update of 2016 is available. At first glance I didn't see anything that we don't know about:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2016-02-29.pdf

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:52 AM

I think this FAA crane permit is for the Tyndall, and it's 203' tall. When considering the height for this project from the bottom of the slope facing I-35 the height should be just over 100'. So the crane height seems somewhat excessive.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...0121431&row=57

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:58 PM

Had a realization of just how crazy this development scale really is

In light of the news of 4th and Red River, I thought about how all of these speculative projects to look forward to have almost overshadowed what's already U/C or more surely in the pipeline.

In other words, we've heard about these projects for so long or they've taken so long to rise, that we've in some ways forgotten their impact (at least I have).

Just think that 5th and West, The Independent, Aloft Element, Shoal Creek Walk, UT System Headquarters, Hyatt House, Homewood Suites, and even Google Tower and the Fairmont have yet to truly change the skyline, yet dirt is already turning on all of these and for some they're even farther along.

Then consider Third + Shoal, Austin Proper, 416 Congress, 70 Rainey, East Avenue, Waterloo Park Tower, One Two East, 5th and Brazos, Lambie Cove, and that amazing rendering of the IBC Bank's hotel project, and even more will be following in short order.

Only then, do we move onto more speculative projects like the CVC determination at 900 Congress, the church site, 4th and Colorado, White Lodging's convention center hotel, the block near Hotel Indigo with permit activity, the mysterious Nelson Partner's rendering at the UT lot, and finally 4th and Red River.

Add in the fact that Endeavor owns a lot near Hotel Van Zandt and the post office site and there are even more possibilities.

Under visions, there's the whole Brackenridge redevelopment, South Shore, the Capitol complex, convention center expansion (hotel), and the Civil Courthouse.

All of this doesn't even encapsulate what's going on in West Campus, UT, or the wildcard that's Waller Park Place.

I've excluded 99 Trinity because I just don't buy that it has a prayer of happening.

There's one project I know I'm forgetting. I remember it being on 6th, sort of near the planned IBC Bank Hotel. Aspen Heights was the developer and there were some leaked renderings and a site plan showing it to be around 16 stories. I don't think it has it's own thread.

The whole point is... Even if only the projects currently U/C happen, we'd still see a big change. If all the proposed ones happen, it'd be unbelievably drastic. So throw away the planned and vision projects, and Austin is still going to look vastly different in 3-5 years. It's incredible.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 12:02 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It's not downtown, but don't forget all the action in East Austin. Pretty insane.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 12:13 AM
World Traveler

Crazy when you see it all in one post like that.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 4:42 AM

Another thing to do is actually count them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Just think that 5th and West, The Independent, Aloft Element, Shoal Creek Walk, UT System Headquarters, Hyatt House, Homewood Suites, and even Google Tower and the Fairmont have yet to truly change the skyline, yet dirt is already turning on all of these and for some they're even farther along.
That's 9 buildings currently under construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Then consider Third + Shoal, Austin Proper, 416 Congress, 70 Rainey, East Avenue, Waterloo Park Tower, One Two East, 5th and Brazos, Lambie Cove, and that amazing rendering of the IBC Bank's hotel project, and even more will be following in short order.
Plus 10 more.

So 19 total in just two paragraphs.

Looking here, 24 buildings have been completed since 2008:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ings_in_Austin

Come the year 2020, it should be fair to say that 43+ buildings will have been added to the downtown area over the course of 12 years.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:55 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Another thing to do is actually count them.

That's 9 buildings currently under construction.

Plus 10 more.

So 19 total in just two paragraphs.

Looking here, 24 buildings have been completed since 2008:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ings_in_Austin

Come the year 2020, it should be fair to say that 43+ buildings will have been added to the downtown area over the course of 12 years.
Awesome.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 9:51 PM

There was a permit filed today for a five story West Campus apartment building today called the Avon. This link, also from permit filing from today, is for an eight story apartment building called 2502 Nueces:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11493299

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:44 AM
Meh

1301 West 5th Street multi-family. 75 feet with 6 floors.

I remembered that this project was originally requesting a height variance to allow it to go to 113 feet, but it was rejected. The elevations say 75 feet with no exceptions.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...reet_PLANS.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin