HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I don't know. That's basically the general style of the area.
Which in general is rather bland, balconyed crap (as defined by construction in the past decade+)... or, in the case of the Acqualina, overly-gaudy, cheesiness that's trying WAY to hard. Sunny Isles is particularly bad. A rare opportunity to build on a relatively blank, oceanfront slate, and they got the LCD architecturally... i.e. whatever the hell the developers wanted to put up to cash in and cash out.

Myrtle Beach on steroids.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 11:05 PM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ I agree, but I see all of this as infill for other, more skillful architects to work with. Remember, Miami and the surrounding areas are relatively young at a urban context. However, I would like to see more densification in the future instead of suburban condos.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^^^ I agree, but I see all of this as infill for other, more skillful architects to work with. Remember, Miami and the surrounding areas are relatively young at a urban context. However, I would like to see more densification in the future instead of suburban condos.
500+ foot towers are not infill.

And don't give the Miami is a young city line of BS. The boom in the 80s, along with 90s projects, bestowed far greater architecture in variety, form, and function for both residential and commercial developments. The past decade plus is characterized by developers run amok, with little to zero concern from the city as to what the results would be -- the story is painted clear as day all over the various skylines there.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 11:28 PM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Well then, I guess the city will have to control this and create a solid plan. Hopefully that will happen or Miami will continue to have the characteristics of dramatic tacky skylines not far from neighborhoods with a 3rd world feel and endless sprawl.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 11:46 PM
Honored Member

DSC_0290 by QuantumX, on Flickr
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 12:19 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
^^^ Well then, I guess the city will have to control this and create a solid plan. Hopefully that will happen or Miami will continue to have the characteristics of dramatic tacky skylines not far from neighborhoods with a 3rd world feel and endless sprawl.
We are far from done here, but when other people make the kinds of comments that they do, consider where they're living or where they might be living and what's going on there. I think that tends to explain a lot.
[B][I]"I'm going to bet you that [U]when we're done [/U]-- [U]I don't know when that will be [/U]-- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner 05/22/05[/I][/B]

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 2:35 AM
She needs her space

^^^Well, I know I'm one of the biggest culprits of what you term as Miami bashing.

What I think has happened is this: in the early 2000s through perhaps 2009, the amount of construction in South FL was unbelievable. People, especially on this forum, were very excited to watch the exponential increase in the skyline unfold. Unfortunately for Miami's sympathizers, pure "construction" only goes so far. People are generally interested in design, context, and the basis behind the construction, as well. Couple that with an oddly missing element on this forum from Miami - aside from you and your pictures, and a couple other occasional posters, there isn't much "robust" discussion on Miami as there are other major cities. Take Atlanta - which does not have the overall design or construction going on that Miami consistently has these days, there is still tons of robust discussion between dozens of active posters, and the discussions are typically quite informative and intellectual in nature. I've certainly bashed Atlanta, my adopted hometown previously, probably more than Miami, but I also try to add to that amazing conversation on their construction/city threads.

What I've heard in the real estate community is that there is so much incredibly "stupid" money investing in Miami right now. Everyone's looking to scoop up any sort of core deals around Brickell or retail in South Beach because they feel they must, but Miami is the butt of so many jokes in the finance/real estate community. It's just an odd place with more than its fair share of problems, which for us end up being typified in its brutally cold skylines.

That "wall" in Sunny Isles is amazingly stupid to look at (FTR, we own an apartment complex in Sunny Isles, off the water). My perspective is influenced by the exact opposite situation here in SF - right next door to me a developer wants to put up the following:

http://www.socketsite.com/

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ent_as_pr.html

And because it would create a mere 136' "wall" along the waterfront, which is so public and treasured by all that nobody can even conceive of a private entity interfering with it, there is a HUGE push to not approve this. In fact the Democrat party has come out swinging against the proposal and there will be a ballot measure (basically this tiny thing will be put to vote).

So when I see a wall of exclusive 50 story Trump towers and such on a beach front, basically walling off the general public and reserving the beach for the elite Russians and Latins who live in those towers, it's a bit much. It really doesn't help that the vast majority of South FL is so poor and so lacking in great public/park space, which gets hogged by all these rich foreign millionaires along the beach and east of 95. It's almost insulting.

FTR, even though my view will be blocked by the proposal above, I am totally for it...it's not too much and preserves much of the Bay Club that occupies the site now (plus the design compliments my older towers next door).

Random SF skyline shot I took last weekend and a couple from 2 months ago:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 2:45 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
^^^Well, I know I'm one of the biggest culprits of what you term as Miami bashing.
Well, the term city bashing certainly wasn't invented by me, and this is all I've read of what you have to say!

I did notice you posted some San Francisco pics. I've lived there and I have no desire to live there again. I'm quite happy where I am!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 3:05 AM

Milano, Italy looking towards the Centro Direzionale di Milano, Milan's version of La Defense.

Photo by me.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 3:46 AM
:o

Perfect Storm by Matt Givot, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:

What I think has happened is this: in the early 2000s through perhaps 2009, the amount of construction in South FL was unbelievable. People, especially on this forum, were very excited to watch the exponential increase in the skyline unfold. Unfortunately for Miami's sympathizers, pure "construction" only goes so far. People are generally interested in design, context, and the basis behind the construction, as well. Couple that with an oddly missing element on this forum from Miami - aside from you and your pictures, and a couple other occasional posters, there isn't much "robust" discussion on Miami as there are other major cities. Take Atlanta - which does not have the overall design or construction going on that Miami consistently has these days, there is still tons of robust discussion between dozens of active posters, and the discussions are typically quite informative and intellectual in nature. I've certainly bashed Atlanta, my adopted hometown previously, probably more than Miami, but I also try to add to that amazing conversation on their construction/city threads.

What I've heard in the real estate community is that there is so much incredibly "stupid" money investing in Miami right now. Everyone's looking to scoop up any sort of core deals around Brickell or retail in South Beach because they feel they must, but Miami is the butt of so many jokes in the finance/real estate community. It's just an odd place with more than its fair share of problems, which for us end up being typified in its brutally cold skylines.

That "wall" in Sunny Isles is amazingly stupid to look at (FTR, we own an apartment complex in Sunny Isles, off the water).

So when I see a wall of exclusive 50 story Trump towers and such on a beach front, basically walling off the general public and reserving the beach for the elite Russians and Latins who live in those towers, it's a bit much. It really doesn't help that the vast majority of South FL is so poor and so lacking in great public/park space, which gets hogged by all these rich foreign millionaires along the beach and east of 95. It's almost insulting.
Don't waste your time.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 5:50 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
500+ foot towers are not infill.
They are in some places.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 2:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
They are in some places.
Don't be an annoying nerd.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:21 PM

We're on a site where we primarily discuss building heights and population statistics, aren't we all nerds?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
We're on a site where we primarily discuss building heights and population statistics, aren't we all nerds?
Nerds, yes. Chiming in with an out-of-context comment is annoying.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:

And because it would create a mere 136' "wall" along the waterfront, which is so public and treasured by all that nobody can even conceive of a private entity interfering with it, there is a HUGE push to not approve this. In fact the Democrat party has come out swinging against the proposal and there will be a ballot measure (basically this tiny thing will be put to vote).
You forgot to mention that the "huge" push to block that building isn't actually "huge". As in, it's just the result of a handful of ultra wealthy people gaming the system through their money/political connections, because they don't want to lose their views of the bay or their fancy tennis club.

The petition they started to get a ballot measure was based on lies and misinformation, claiming that the tiny building would create a "wall", that it would shade parks, block affordable housing, destroy sports fields, create massive traffic problems, etc. None of which is true. Then they got thousands of signatures from ignorant people in neighborhoods elsewhere in the city, based on those lies, which were all presented under the nice-sounding title of "no wall on the waterfront". And that's why it's now going to a vote. Half the money for the petition ($75,000) came from a single couple in a neighboring building that would lose their views if the new building goes up. Most SF residents have no idea at all about the project, and I have a feeling that most would support it, or at least be ambivalent, if they were actually supplied with the facts about it. And the developer is actually putting an opposing ballot measure up to defeat the NIMBY "no wall on the waterfront" ballot measure. It's a bunch of silly, expensive, bullshit, and I hope the NIMBYs lose out.

Anyways, here's another SF skyline shot:

by :munna on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/munna82/4707941221/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 10:17 PM

i think miami looks awesome. 500 ft mega towers on the beach? what not to like?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 12:58 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:

I agree. The Miami construction and development thread seems to be filled with overly hopeful urbanites who believe the city is already up there with the likes of bigger global cities. Aside from QuantumX,brickell, and one other person aside from me most of the time, Miami is not taken very seriously when developments are presented, and I wish more forumers who lived in the area would outnumber those who are immature.

Quote:
The area has been taken advantage of for many years. Like what was said before, South Florida is probably the closest the US has ever gotten to your typical tropical 3rd-world country. Poor,violent ethnic neighborhoods being contrasted with tall condos and private islands for the rich is very common here and developers have been ignoring this for many years. However, I personally think this may change soon. Aside from the constant highrise proposals being presented for Downtown and Brickell, general urban developments for other neighborhoods like Little Havana, Overtown, Liberty City, The Design District, and more should be considered for the middle class that could move here in the future. Miami Beach (particularly South Beach) should be seen as a model for the rest of the city to work with along with other great urban developments in Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe, and even in the US.

Quote:
That "wall" in Sunny Isles is amazingly stupid to look at (FTR, we own an apartment complex in Sunny Isles, off the water). My perspective is influenced by the exact opposite situation here in SF - right next door to me a developer wants to put up the following:
Agreed, and I guess that will have to change as well. But there will more opportunities in the future to recreate better waterfront developments.

Quote:
Agreed. That mentality has to change soon. South Florida is not the same winter resort/ retirement center it once was. There's a growing young adult and immigrant population aside from the transplants who come from the northern US. There's too much potential being wasted in Miami, which I think could make it's nickname as the "gateway to Latin America" a clearer reality if the city's leaders wanted to. Anyways, this is extremely off-topic and might warrant another thread but I can't help but always wonder why Florida, with such a great location for international trade, never really made such an impact?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 1:38 AM

I swear, San Francisco is the New York of the west coast.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 1:41 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^Not that crap again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos