HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:19 AM

Job prospect as an architect in Ottawa

Hello all, my sister-in-law is a graduate of the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London, U.K.

She had some work experience in the U.K., during her study and after her graduation but due to visa issues, she has since gone back to her home country of South Korea.

She is applying to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker. Her sister (my wife) and I are here and she can stay with us while she's looking for a job in her field. I am an IT guy and I don't know anything about architecture so I am wondering what the job prospect is like for architects in Ottawa or does she need to look for opportunities in bigger cities like Toronto or Vancouver?

Any insight you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:32 AM

Does she like to make a square boxes? If yes, she'll like the area, but if no, she might as well look instead for Toronto or Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
Does she like to make a square boxes? If yes, she'll like the area, but if no, she might as well look instead for Toronto or Montreal.
I guess you are talking about condo towers.

I don't know the industry well but there are residential architects working in Ottawa and several were too busy to even give me a quote for the timeline I wanted. With the market doing well it seems like custom infill should be growing in the city.

Since she has a free place to stay why not look for jobs in Toronto and Ottawa while staying with you. Easy to drive to Toronto for any interviews. Ideally she would have a Toronto address and phone number when applying for jobs but a mailbox and a pay as you go phone would be a good investment. Easy to get screened out if they don't want to deal with relocation and can't be bothered to ask.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:19 PM

The process starts here by having ones education certified.
http://www.oaa.on.ca/the%20oaa/inter...%20information

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/pro...en_arch_cm.pdf

Then you start the process of working your way to licensing. You can certainly work under a licensed Architect in Ontario prior to licensing. Not having a license would be a waist of a degree.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:47 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
Way to be a welcoming ambassador for your city.

Anyway, on this topic I don't have a lot to offer (not my field) except a pointer to one of my favourite annual publications, the Ottawa Business Journal's "Book of Lists".

http://www.obj.ca/BOL

On page 26 you'll get a list of the largest architecture firms and some essential information for each. With this your SIL can poke around each company's web site and see what career opportunities might be available.

The BOL helped me get my first ever job out of school. Hopefully it helps your SIL somehow.

Edit: there is also a plethora of Engineering firms in this city that may have a need for architecture expertise on staff. There are also residential/commercial builders that may need such. Imagination is the only limitation here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion