HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The whole corner of E 5th Street and Los Angeles Street has been replaced by the 5th & LA Plaza, but there are survivors further back. The B Black & Sons sign has faded over the years, but the company is still in business at 548 S Los Angeles Street. They've been on Los Angeles Street since the 1920s and at their current address since the 1930s. The building got a previous passing mention in post #28005.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
I think the repertory company aspect came from the series' origin as a radio show, where having actors share roles was common.

For most of the life of the television phase the show's roots in radio were so strong you could follow the story with just the soundtrack:

"Tuesday, May 13th. It was raining in Los Angeles" [Picture of rain]

"My partner and I were working the day watch out of Bunco" [Picture of Webb and partner in cop shop]

"We received a call from a distraught housewife" [Picture of Webb on phone]

"We proceeded to her residence near downtown" [Picture of Webb and partner in car]

And so on. It was as stylized as Kabuki, and as exciting as a Power Point briefing were the presenter just reads the slides to you. But great radio.

Cheers,

Earl
I guess you could say the fact we remember it so well after all these years speaks to how iconic Webb's style was. It was so stilted and flat it does lend itself to parody, but maybe being remembered for that is better than not being remembered at all.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
old file

Canter's Restaurant is the best delicatessen in Los Angeles. Cobb Salad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstimc View Post
I guess you could say the fact we remember it so well after all these years speaks to how iconic Webb's style was. It was so stilted and flat it does lend itself to parody, but maybe being remembered for that is better than not being remembered at all.
There actually were/are people who talk like Sgt. Friday. Engineers, doctors & scientists mostly. Factual, predictable, no profanities, at least in an office/public setting. They were more common before the late 1960s. Now anything goes, in speech, fashion, appearance, behavior, etc. Sometimes I miss the old days. They were more predictable. On the other hand, people who broke the norms back then often paid a high price for their rule breaking. Lenny Bruce was a good example.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 4:02 PM

According to George Geary's "L.A.'s Legendary Restaurants," (highly recommended) the ingredients in the Hollywood Brown Derby Cobb Salad were iceberg and romaine lettuce, chicory, tomatoes, chicken breast, bacon, avocado, hard boiled eggs, chopped chives, and crumbled Roquefort cheese, arranged in strips on a plate and then tossed by the waiter at tableside.

The salad was dressed with Brown Derby French Dressing, reconstructed by Geary (almost all the recipes in the book are reconstructions) as:

3/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup water

1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

2 tsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp Dijon mustard

3/4 tsp salt

1 clove garlic

1 cup olive oil and 1 cup canola oil

Puree everything but the oil in a blender, then drizzle in the oils to emulsify.

I've made it and it's really good.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Here's an excellent article from the L.A. Times about Tommy's and all the wannabes. The interesting thing to me was Tommy's doesn't worry too much about them unless they really get too close to pretending to be the real thing. They see the imitation as flattery. Tom's #5 is mentioned.
In the South Bay, there's Tomboys which serves up a pretty good version of the Tommy's classic burger with chili - no beans, cheese, mustard, pickle & onions.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...gers-knockoffs

L.A. Times
Growing up near the Tom#5 i would go there pretty often during the summer, (we used to get the fries after a nice swim in Pico Pool next door to the Sears)and i have to say Tomboys is my go to, i go to both locations at least once a week. The best fries in the South Bay hands down.

Once i got older we would go to Pan Pacific Park Pool, and afterwards we would bike down 3rd and head to Fatburger on La Cienega (then to the Beverly Center) and again get fries. My Parents would go to this location a lot and say its the original. But i thought the original was incorporated into a low income housing unit off Crenshaw along the new Crenshaw line?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Growing up near the Tom#5 i would go there pretty often during the summer, (we used to get the fries after a nice swim in Pico Pool next door to the Sears)and i have to say Tomboys is my go to, i go to both locations at least once a week. The best fries in the South Bay hands down.

Once i got older we would go to Pan Pacific Park Pool, and afterwards we would bike down 3rd and head to Fatburger on La Cienega (then to the Beverly Center) and again get fries. My Parents would go to this location a lot and say its the original. But i thought the original was incorporated into a low income housing unit off Crenshaw along the new Crenshaw line?
I am a big fan of Tommy's, used to eat it often as a teenager/college age, but now only treat myself maybe 1-2 times a year.

I'm surprised no one has brought up Carney's, also an excellent chili burger, and housed in actual old rail cars converted to be the kitchen and dining rooms.

Flickr

I always got a kick looking at the old black and white photos of them installing the train cars to convert to the restaurant:

https://www.carneytrain.com/about/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Here's an excellent article from the L.A. Times about Tommy's and all the wannabes. The interesting thing to me was Tommy's doesn't worry too much about them unless they really get too close to pretending to be the real thing. They see the imitation as flattery. Tom's #5 is mentioned.
In the South Bay, there's Tomboys which serves up a pretty good version of the Tommy's classic burger with chili - no beans, cheese, mustard, pickle & onions.

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...gers-knockoffs

L.A. Times
A pickle is a pickle and a tomato is a tomato. The success of any hamburger is the meat. That's why people very much dislike fast-food burgers....their meat is junk infused with fillers.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 1:01 AM

Doug, I have eaten Tommy's for 61 years. Only once I have I eaten a Tommy's without the Chile...Never make that mistake again, it was not very good. In Tommy's case the CHILE is the success of their burgers. Double Meat, Double Cheese, Chile and Tomato are number one.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 2:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
Doug, I have eaten Tommy's for 61 years. Only once I have I eaten a Tommy's without the Chile...Never make that mistake again, it was not very good. In Tommy's case the CHILE is the success of their burgers. Double Meat, Double Cheese, Chile and Tomato are number one.
I first had a Tommy's with a friend in the 1970s, at about 2 am at their flagship location near Rampart. Boy, was it good and I had never heard of it before.
Fortunately the meat part has stayed fairly good quality since then. Its not the best imo but its acceptable. Yes, the chili is their hallmark.
Hamburger Hamlet, now defunct, save for one, had better but then that was an upscale place.

HH

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
As the sign says at Tommy's, "Everything Comes With Chili"

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The B Black & Sons sign has faded over the years, but the company is still in business at 548 S Los Angeles Street. They've been on Los Angeles Street since the 1920s and at their current address since the 1930s.

GSV
Baron Hats, the premier hat maker in Los Angeles, occupies the entire third floor. Mark Mejia is the master hatter and the building still has an elevator operator.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 5:10 AM

Quote:

e_r, Tom's #5 was a Tommy's knock-off that was not too shabby. I ate there numerous times. It was also on Pico, and near the Beach as you speculated. It was on the corner of Pico and Ocean Ave in Santa Monica, just a couple of blocks from the sand.

GSV
I somehow missed your discovery, Bristolian. ... Bravo!

The reason I guessed that Tom's #5 (in the 'Stingray'snapshot) was located near a beach is the blue area on the right. I thought it might be the ocean.

So do you think that blue area is the ocean or are we looking at something else?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 5:25 AM

mystery location

Do ya'll remember the 'Skid Row' photograph of the man in the brick alley that I posted 5 or 6 days ago?

Well the same ebay seller just listed another 'Skid Row' photograph from 1972 that shows a brick alley. ....It could be a street I guess.

eBay

The street number on the other slide was 695. . the street number on this slide is 451. ....So obviously this is a different alleyway.

Needless to say. .I feel sorry for the poor man.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 16, 2020 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 5:50 AM

Here's one more slide for tonight.

mystery location. (nope. no it's not)... San Julian Street. .and. .?

This is yet another slide taken in the 'Skid Row' area of Los Angeles. (1950s or 60s)

eBay

That's an excellent looking arched doorway on the right. ...I'm a bit surprised it's located on the side, and towards the back, of the building.

I spy the Southern Hotel.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:

detail

I must say. . .I'd love to eat in the Golden Gate Cafe.

The Golden Gate Cafe photographed by Robert Luthardt circa 1967.

esotouric.com

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
The reason I guessed that Tom's #5 (in the 'Stingray'snapshot) was located near a beach is the blue area on the right. I thought it might be the ocean.

So do you think that blue area is the ocean or are we looking at something else?
e_r, At first, I wasn't sure if that was the ocean and horizon or something else. Here's another street-level view looking west down Pico and what obviously is the ocean shows up looking remarkably similar so I would say yes, definitely.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
The Peterson Automotive Museum/SEIBU building with some impressive klieg lights.

http://guestofaguest.com/los-angeles...-this-week-20/

more images of same structure >> https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=6276

Undated image, probably late ~ '90s (although vehicular traffic may indicate later . Wilshire and Fairfax looking south. Roof in foreground is Johnie's.

From article discussing the late Biggie Smalls who died in '97. https://www.thefader.com/2011/05/25/...-biggie-smalls

Last edited by Godzilla; Nov 16, 2020 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
mystery location.

Unnamed street corner. Downtown los Angeles....1970s amateur slide just listed on eBay

[...]

I can't figure out the store next door. (the one painted black) It says 'something' Temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
The Golden Gate Cafe photographed by Robert Luthardt circa 1967.

esotouric.com

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
According to George Geary's "L.A.'s Legendary Restaurants," (highly recommended) the ingredients in the Hollywood Brown Derby Cobb Salad were iceberg and romaine lettuce, chicory, tomatoes, chicken breast, bacon, avocado, hard boiled eggs, chopped chives, and crumbled Roquefort cheese, arranged in strips on a plate and then tossed by the waiter at tableside.

The salad was dressed with Brown Derby French Dressing, reconstructed by Geary (almost all the recipes in the book are reconstructions) as:

3/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic
1 cup olive oil and 1 cup canola oil

Puree everything but the oil in a blender, then drizzle in the oils to emulsify.
I've made it and it's really good.
Cheers,
Earl

In the 1996 book, The Brown Derby Restaurant (Sally Wright Cobb), the recipe for the Cobb salad ingredients also included "1 Bunch Watercress".

The recipe for "Cobb's Old Fashioned French Dressing" varies slightly here and there from the one you posted. (Mostly in amounts.) I put the differences from yours in parentheses.

(1) 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
(1) 1/4 cup water
(1) 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
(juice of one lemon) 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
(1) 1 tsp sugar
(1 tbsp) 1 tsp black pepper
(1 tbsp dry English Mustard) 1 tsp Dijon mustard
(1 tbsp) 3/4 tsp salt
(1) 1 clove garlic (minced)
(1) 1 cup olive oil
(3 cups salad oil) 1 cup canola oil

...for what it's worth.

Lots of food talk lately! Are we all hungry? Or hungry for going to restaurants!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
more images of same structure >> https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=6276

Undated image, probably late ~ '90s. Wilshire and Fairfax looking south.

From article discussing the late Biggie Smalls who died in '97. https://www.thefader.com/2011/05/25/...-biggie-smalls
The picture was taken later than the late 90s. The MTA (Metro) bus is in the "Metro Local" color scheme, which wasn't introduced until around 2004/2005.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos