HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 12:16 AM
Arachnid Wrangler

Another high density development for Campus West: 1303 Plum. 42 apartments. 137 beds. 5 floors above ground.

This development is next door to several recent Campus West developments including Lokal:

And across the street from The District at Campus West:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw007 View Post
Nice finds FRG!I really like the look of that apartment building.
Me too.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:15 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front_Range_Guy View Post
Downtown Colorado Springs is starting to show some signs of life.
Nice to see you posting some information on Colorado Springs again FRG! Though it's pretty sad that it took COS something like ten years to actually look towards its downtown again. Though it's probably more like fifty years.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:38 PM

I'll post pictures if I'm able to get away from work for the Blue Dot ribbon cutting.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 5:54 AM

A ribbon cutting ceremony was held for Blue Dot Place at 3 p.m. on January 29, 2016.

Blue Dot Place is a 33-unit apartment building located at 412 S. Nevada Avenue in the southern part of downtown Colorado Springs.

This building represents the first residential rental units to be built in new construction in downtown Colorado Springs in 50 years. It features two ground floor retail spaces. One has been leased by a coffee shop and the other has been leased by an insurance agent.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 new residential units are proposed for downtown currently, and the downtown partnership is aggressively pursuing its goal of adding 500 units by 2018.

Blue Dot Place is approximately 50% reserved and expects to reach full occupancy this year.

All of the pictures below were taken today by me.

Iron Bird Brewing Company shares a wall with the coffee shop component of Blue Dot, and it appears it's expanding its outdoor patio area in a way that further ties it into the apartment complex.

The developers of Blue Dot are sort of viewed as risk takers and pioneers. The hope is that their project will prove the demand for downtown rental housing in suburban-minded Colorado Springs and give other developers the confidence to move forward with their proposals.

Last edited by Front_Range_Guy; Jan 30, 2016 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 6:30 AM

In news unrelated to Blue Dot Place, but related to the cultural landscape of Colorado Springs, a new community radio station signed on tonight. 93.9 KCMJ promises the following: "Our programming will meet community needs that are unmet by corporate media. We will explore issues in greater depth and with more respect for diverse perspectives. KCMJ will be extraordinarily inclusive and local. We’ll celebrate the best of our community and strive to improve the rest. We will be a voice for justice and a platform for the marginalized."

A launch party was held tonight, but I was unable to attend.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 6:37 AM

Oh, and since I've been gone awhile, enjoy this... a 100-story building proposed for downtown Colorado Springs lol.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 9:41 AM
Arachnid Wrangler

Quote:
Oh, and since I've been gone awhile, enjoy this... a 100-story building proposed for downtown Colorado Springs lol.
More legit than any fantasy proposal that Eeyore has eluded to.. 😬

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 9:44 AM
Arachnid Wrangler

FRG, do you know of any serious development proposals in downtown Pueblo other than the heavily subsidized river walk proposals that may or may not materialize?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw007 View Post
FRG, do you know of any serious development proposals in downtown Pueblo other than the heavily subsidized river walk proposals that may or may not materialize?
No, I haven't really been following Pueblo much. I assume the heavily subsidized project you're talking about is the one funded by the tourism grant?

Eeyore mostly posts about living forever nowadays, so...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:07 AM

Just for fun.

Video Link

hmmmm doesnt want to work soo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTun8P_XhV4

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:15 AM

Development pressures prompt battle over annexations in Castle Rock

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:55 PM

Idaho Springs entrepreneurs mine for opportunity at Argo Mill

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 10:58 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
I love it. This is about as realistic as most of what that other guy also named Sanders is touting!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 11:59 PM

Downtown growth gets attention

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 8:05 PM

Love all the Updates along the front range

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
SLV UPDATES: Alamosa is getting an IHOP. They're pouring the foundation in January. So....

Regardless, I hear people in Pueblo are worried. They view Alamosa as a threat.
It's the Alamosa Mean Moose getting even better that scares them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
Just for fun.

Video Link

It's working just fine. (Just copy the part AFTER the ?v=)

Thanks for posting this. In fact it's a part of a series of slide shows and timely music.

I have some very special memories of a 5-10 year old girl having tons of fun there.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
I had read about that; it's crazy.

Homeowners want to recall Castle Rock Mayor, other town leaders over development concerns
March 29, 2016 by Jennifer Kovaleski - 7News Denver
Quote:
Castle Rock Citizens' for Responsible Development wants the town to put the brakes on new construction. It points to bumper to bumper traffic along I-25 as proof the town is growing too fast.

"These three annexations that they're trying to push through by November is extremely aggressive, our infrastructure can't handle that," said Pratt.

Pratt said the group tried to get the town council to adopt an initiative petition that would have required any annexation of more than five acres to go to a vote of the people.

"They've basically just ignored us," he said.
The mayor answers back but this was the priceless part.
Quote:
"I'm in full support of the process if that's the direction that they'd like to go," said Castle Rock Mayor Paul Donahue.

"I do regret spending 50 to 60-thousand dollars of the taxpayers money in order to decide if I'm gonna spend my last two months in office or not," he said.
The guys leaving office in November but they want to recall him? Totally nuts. 7News also published a letter from Councilwoman Renee Valentine that's a fun read.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 4:47 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Oh that's rich. Residents of Castle Rock want to put a stop to growth? Because they've lived there for 3 months now, so they're old-timers?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:41 AM

Pace of Colorado Springs-area homebuilding soars to 10-year high

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:07 AM
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
Just for fun.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTun8P_XhV4
Thanks for sharing. I have an obsession with amusement parks, so videos like this are really cool to see. My understanding is that the old Elitchs was hundreds of times better than the current bland "corporate" Elitchs.

It's a shame really.... so many classic rides and old trees were lost. Mister Twister was ranked as the best wooden coaster in the world for many years, IIRC.

I also think it's a damn shame that Lakeside amusement park isn't better maintained. That place is a gem...

You walk into Lakeside at night and your jaw simply drops. This traditional amusement park is a stunning visual triumph of art deco architecture and lighting. The amount of design detail in every ride, sign, ticket booth and building is simply amazing.... A single building at Lakeside - the College Inn, for example, would be a signature attraction at any other park. At Lakeside, it's just another building. The marble and pewter counter inside the refreshments building takes awhile to be noticed because of all the other little details inside the building. The cupolas on either side of the Hurricane are exquisite! And forget about Hersheypark's Lightning Racer, the Cyclone station has no equal when it comes to beauty. No other park can match the look of this place at night. The amount of neon and flourescent lighting, complimented by all that gorgeous art deco architecture, creates what is easily one of the most beautiful nighttime theme parks I've ever seen.

And yet Lakeside does not engender any sort of civic pride or support from our city. The history and beauty of this park seems to go unnoticed or unappreciated, as evidenced by some of the disparaging comments I heard from people during my visit last year. It's a shame as the park is so friendly and the rides are decently maintained. The architecture alone unquestionably deserves national amusement park historic status.

"Lakeside is Ghetto." "The rides are unsafe." "Too many Mexicans." (seriously heard someone say that)

And yet I can understand why the people of our city don't like coming here. As pretty as the park is at night, it is equally depressing during the day. In fact this park is clearly struggling to survive. Its wonderful art deco buildings are desperately in need of tender loving care. A coat of paint would do wonders but the budget for any serious repairs would be astronomical.

Fortunately nighttime brings out only the best of this park. In the dark you cannot see the deteriorating buildings, you only see the magnificent architecture. In the dark you cannot see the trash and debris scattered all around the park's perimeter. In the dark you cannot see the Rivieria dance hall and other attractions that have long since been abandoned and uncared for. You don't focus on what you cannot see, you only focus on what's illuminated by the light. And what's illuminated is a dazzling array of art deco shapes whose deteriorating structures are camouflaged by brilliant neon and flourescent. Even the individual ticket booths that have gone unoccupied for years look alive and well. They only look unoccupied at the moment, as if someone were on break and will be back in five.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West