HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
A few retail tidbits.

Looks like Laura is now open in McAllister Place, and Pseudio will be opening a location there as well as they are currently hiring.

Also - Tweed & Hickory at East Point is closing. Can't say that I'm surprised with that one though. It used to do quite well. But they seemed quite mismanaged there, and customer service was lacking, and people just seemed to stop going, and avoided them like the plague. (Myself included.)

The company recently closed stores in other cities as well. Hopefully this will open their eyes to their issues, and correct them before they close the remaining stores.

Mary Browns will be opening next to Weight Watchers in Hubert Street. Hopefully they can secure Second Cup soon for the vacant St Hubert building. That would be a nice addition.

Menchies across the street that opened less than a year ago appears to have steady business, and seem to be doing okay. I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised to see this. Good for them!

Petsmart and Bed Bath and Beyond are still on track to visit East Point this summer. So hopefully we will hear good news from them shortly.

And the excavation for Mr. Lube on Depot Court seems steady. Construction should be starting pretty soon.
Is it just me or does it seem that people open stores here without doing ANY market research? The attitude seems to be let's open a store and keep our fingers crossed. I can think of a number of places in the years I have been here that while it was great to see them open I thought why would you open a place like that in this market and/or location.

Tweed and hickory for example. Very high priced clothing and extremely high priced "kitchen stuff". I suppose the developers of east point are doing all they can to attract new stores but let's be realistic. I'd rather see a building sit empty for a while rather than something open and fail.......I think that sends an even worse message.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 2:30 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Is it just me or does it seem that people open stores here without doing ANY market research? The attitude seems to be let's open a store and keep our fingers crossed. I can think of a number of places in the years I have been here that while it was great to see them open I thought why would you open a place like that in this market and/or location.

Tweed and hickory for example. Very high priced clothing and extremely high priced "kitchen stuff". I suppose the developers of east point are doing all they can to attract new stores but let's be realistic. I'd rather see a building sit empty for a while rather than something open and fail.......I think that sends an even worse message.
I know what you mean. The Great Canadian Bagel opened a store for a short time many years ago on the blank wall of the Superstore building. While the company had a relationship with the superstore across the country, it shouldn't have ignored the poor access, and poor exposure the Superstore location in SJ offered. I'd like to see them return to SJ, but they are probably reluctant to try again; i know they'd do better uptown.

Is that juice store still open across from McAllister? Strange place for it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 10:01 PM

I see a billboard for Sleep Country Canada out at Mcallister and westmoreland. Where the old st. Hubert's was. Assume it's going into that space?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:49 PM

I heard that the West side Staples is closing.
On another note, Starbucks is opening across the street.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 9:35 PM

McDonald's on Millidge Avenue has closed. The girl at the Irving told me it closed last April. Sad to see it go.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
I see a billboard for Sleep Country Canada out at Mcallister and westmoreland. Where the old st. Hubert's was. Assume it's going into that space?
A Sign finally has been placed in the window of the former location of St Hubert indicating that's where its going to go.

With that and Mary Browns Chicken filling the vacant space near weight watchers, that entire development on that corner is now filled.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 1:40 AM

Driving by Brett's Chevrolet on Saturday, billboards up saying "Exclusive GM dealer", " Welcome, Buick & GMC Customers", looking across the street the O'Leary's Lot is empty.

a quick visit to their Official Facebook page notes the following:

"On behalf of the owners and management here at our dealership… we are PROUD TO ANNOUNCE we are now the EXCLUSIVE General Motors dealership for SAINT JOHN.
Please join us in celebrating our NEW NAME.. BRETT CHEVROLET CADILLAC BUICK GMC LTD!"

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philster View Post
Driving by Brett's Chevrolet on Saturday, billboards up saying "Exclusive GM dealer", " Welcome, Buick & GMC Customers", looking across the street the O'Leary's Lot is empty.

a quick visit to their Official Facebook page notes the following:

"On behalf of the owners and management here at our dealership… we are PROUD TO ANNOUNCE we are now the EXCLUSIVE General Motors dealership for SAINT JOHN.
Please join us in celebrating our NEW NAME.. BRETT CHEVROLET CADILLAC BUICK GMC LTD!"
Wow, that's interesting. I'm sure there's a back story to be told. Except for the Camaro I'm not a fan of the GM family of products in general. I do find it interesting that while most cities our size (ie. Moncton & Fredericton regions) have multiple Dodge, Ford, GM dealerships, we now have one dealership for each of these brands. The big question is if this is better for the consumer? Competition is usually in the consumers best interest.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 2:45 PM

Yes this has been in the works for quite a while now.
The Downey boys would never sell to Brett. They really don't like each other!!
This will make Bretts the largest GM dealer in Atlantic Canada. Not to sure I like this as a customer? Just bought a new truck at O'Learys and always bought from Centenial when they where there. Did one deal at Bretts....not a very good experience at all!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:40 PM

Goji's Frozen Yogurt to open soon on East Point Way next to TipTop/ Mr. Big & Tall. Nice to see that vacant unit finally filled.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 10:16 PM

Speaking of East Point. Is there any news on how the visit went with Petsmart or some big name retailer that was supposed to take place. Gee. Apart from Princess Auto there really hasn't been much to talk about up on the hill.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebody View Post
Speaking of East Point. Is there any news on how the visit went with Petsmart or some big name retailer that was supposed to take place. Gee. Apart from Princess Auto there really hasn't been much to talk about up on the hill.
Not sure on Petsmart, but Steve Goldberg from Bed Bath & Beyond is visiting the site next week.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 10:39 PM

Now that Halifax, St John's, Moncton, Fredericton and even Charlottetown have PetSmart and BB&B they figure, hey I guess we could take a peek at that city over there. Nothing serious, just want to sight-see.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:30 PM

Does anyone know what's going in beside Homedepot?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDay View Post
Does anyone know what's going in beside Homedepot?
Mr. Lube.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 11:39 PM
Spem Reduxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk then Run View Post
The Home Hardware store on the west side has gone through a major face lift. I wonder if the new Kent store sped up this project? Either way the store needed this for quite a while. I'll try to snap a few photos.
My pictures that I said I would get

OLD Home Hardware (picture taken from Google):

New and improved Home Hardware (picture...me)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 4:04 PM

Does anyone know if there is any news on something replacing the old location of Sport Chek?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 3:14 AM

I was in the remodeled Home Hardware the other day, its very nice inside as well in comparison to what it was.

The Former Sports check location that was split in half still has a for lease sign up as of yesterday.

Also read on CHSJ news last Friday hat David's Tea is setting up in McAllister Place in November.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:50 PM

Any new stores coming to SJ? Moving back from Moncton and I will really miss it here so I am hoping SJ has some great shopping?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:10 PM

Gojis is now open on East Point Way next to Tiptop/Mr. Big & Tall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces