HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 11:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the CBC Twitter feed, Resurgo Place and the Transportation Discovery Centre will open at 10 AM Friday morning.

This is a surprise. They had been muttering about leaks in the signature cowcatcher window feature and that the museum wouldn't open until November. I guess they must have fixed the problem……….

Here are the pics that were posted on Twitter:

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 12:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Take a sneak peek at Resurgo Place
Thursday, August 07, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Brent Mazerolle

It’s been a long wait, but it appears the wait was worth it.

Resurgo Place opens Friday morning, and it is awesome.Officials from the City of Moncton gave the news media a sneak peek tour of the renovated and expanded Moncton Museum Wednesday morning. If you and your family go there on Friday at 10 a.m., when it opens to the general public, chances are you will still find reporters playing with some of the interactive exhibits in the Transportation Discovery Centre.

But possibly more important than the new exhibits is the overall construction and reconstruction of the 1970s-era Moncton Museum.
Resurgo Place combines under one roof three elements – the museum, the City of Moncton’s tourist bureau and the Transportation Discovery Centre.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13476

Personal note - The Transportation Discovery Centre sounds a lot like the Science Discovery Centre in downtown Halifax, but with a focus on transportation modalities rather than science exhibits. If so, this will be very popular with children and school groups. This all sounds very positive and I will certainly check it out within the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to snap some pictures and post them here.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice synopsis of what you can find in the Transportation Discovery Centre and the renovated Moncton Museum.

New Resurgo Place pays tribute to Moncton’s history
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Alan Cochrane
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13547

Sometimes I wonder if the men who spent their days and nights building ships for Joseph Salter ever thought their tools would one day be on display at the Moncton Museum.

And what about the countless number of machinists, pipefitters and car-men who spent their careers fixing and rebuilding locomotives and railway cars at the Moncton repair shops? Or the hundreds of young aviators who came to Moncton from all over the world during the Second World War under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

The shipyards, the CN Shops and most of the buildings associated with the air training plan are but a distant memory for most, and a footnote in Metro Moncton’s history. But at the time, they were the life blood of our local economy and a major source of jobs in this place that grew out of a bend in the Petitcodiac River.

So it is fitting that interactive exhibits at the new Resurgo Place help visitors understand these important chapters in Metro Moncton’s history, and how much life has changed since Mr. Salter set up his shipbuilding shops back in 1847.

Last Wednesday, members of the media were given a sneak peek at Resurgo Place, the re-branded name for what previously was known as the Moncton Museum. The facility opened its doors to the public on Friday. For staff members, the media tour was a chance to show how much work they have been doing over the last couple of years and generate fresh excitement for the facility.

James Upham, Heritage Development Officer for Programming, was like a kid showing off his new candy store as he led reporters through the new main-floor gallery that hosts travelling exhibits. From now until Aug. 24, the gallery features The Canoe - a Canadian Cultural Icon exhibit from the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough, Ont. During the tour, he noted that these travelling exhibits come and go with regularity, so there is always something new to see at the museum.

Upstairs, the new permanent exhibit is the Heritage Collection which features many artifacts from local history. Here you can see military uniforms, firefighter equipment, ancient police pistols and cameras used by the pioneers of television broadcasting in Moncton.

Then, Mr. Upham gleefully showed us the new interactive floor map. There, printed on the floor is a map of Moncton city streets. It’s designed so you can push around a little cart (kind of like a shopping cart) equipped with a video screen. When you stop on certain parts of the map, the screen will light up and show you film clips and/or photos of the history of that spot.

And then, Mr. Upham led us into the jewel of the new Resurgo Place, the Transportation Discovery Centre. As we passed through an arched doorway covered with ancient wheels from bikes, automobiles and railroad cars, we entered the new glass section of the museum designed by Moncton architect Raven Spanier.

The Transportation Discovery Centre is loaded with interactive exhibits designed for people of all ages, but they will no doubt capture the imagination of youngsters. Here, you can launch a foam rocket, pilot a miniature plane in a wind tunnel, control a miniature submarine to hit a target, and experiment with making your own flying craft with such everyday items as paper cups and coffee filters. I really enjoyed the wind tunnel exhibit, where you use hand controls to“drive” the model plane as it“flies”in the wind tunnel.

The TDC also has interactive pods that look like a ship’s compass, but are fitted out with video screens and headphones, so you can watch narrated film clips about pieces of Moncton’s history.

And the TDC has become the final resting place for one of Moncton’s most famous trains, the model locomotive built by hobbyist Reg Ward.

I was actually present when the locomotive rolled into the museum last winter. I remember seeing the train as a kid, since Ward’s workshop was located not far from our old Sunny-side School. Mr. Ward, worked as a CN carman from 1944 until his retirement in 1982 and built the steam-powered miniature locomotive in his home workshop, where he had a collection of belt-driven machines and tools. For Mr. Ward, building the miniature steam-powered locomotive was a labour of love. He scrounged metal and parts, and made moulds out of wood to handcast the wheels and other parts from wrought iron. The locomotive worked just like the real thing, burning coal to produce steam. In the 1980s, Ward would take the train to Main Street or Victoria Park and set it up to give people rides during the Railroad Days summer festival.

Mr. Ward suffered from Parkinson’s disease and spent the last years of his life in a nursing home. He died in 2007 at the age of 80, and left his beloved steam locomotive to the museum in his will.

Last year, I interviewed Mr. Ward’s longtime friend, Pierre Boudreau, who restored the locomotive and brought it to the museum. He told me:“When we were building this train back in 1980, we often said that one day it would be a museum piece, and he would be happy to know that it is finally here.”

In the newspaper business, it seems like we are writing history as it happens, day by day. But as Mr. Upham said during our tour, our world and our technology has changed so much in the last 100 years that we need ways to reflect upon it to understand where we’ve been and perhaps chart a course to where we are going.

I enjoy museums because they offer a chance to learn about the past and how things were made. But at the same time, you can’t really appreciate the work and lifestyle of the past by looking at artifacts that have been meticulously cleaned, polished and mounted in a glass case. I think the ultimate exhibit would be one where you could walk into a room that truly replicates the shipyard or the workshop, where you could hear the tools and smell the freshly-chopped wood.

This new museum is clean, bright and full of information designed to educate those who come to experience it. Now that it has reopened, Resurgo Place is a great place for people of all ages to visit and learn about the history of our city.

As director Brenda Orr told me, the museum is always working with groups, individuals and organizations to acquire new collections and improve its programming. The museum also works with other facilities to share artifacts and information.

And they are always looking for new artifacts that have a story and are historically significant to Moncton. Who knows what treasures may still be hidden away in someone’s attic or basement waiting to be discovered and put on display to help tell more of the stories of Metro Moncton?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 1:29 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Glad to hear the museum is open again...definitely have to check it out soon

Here's a "kite's eye view" of downtown...you can see 3 special kites designed to honor the 3 fallen RCMP.

Credit: Marc LeBlanc on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9450500&type=1

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 1:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Excellent mmmatt, this belongs in the Skylines Thread in the Canada section too. I think I'll repost it there.

Does this have anything to do with the kite festival in Dieppe?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:33 PM

There was some activity at Highfield Square yesterday. In front of the old The Bay entrance, they were digging soil samples.

And for some reason, I'm not seeing the thread for the Downtown Centre. Are dead threads hidden somewhere? *EDIT - Never mind. Found the Display Option at bottom left of the main page.*

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 3:20 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

The only times a thread 'goes away' is when it gets too long and gets archived or if it hasn't been active in a while and gradually moves down the page. Threads are almost never deleted unless there's a major problem with the content for some reason.

If you want to see an archived thread, click on the Forum Jump menu at the bottom of every page and scroll to the very bottom. Usually threads get archived when they are heavily used and go over 10-12,000 posts.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 2:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the site plan for the RCMP campus at Arden and MacBeath showing the location of the new forensics building to be built this year.

I have access to the render of the new forensics building too, but it is an absolutely uninspiring single storey red brick box with virtually no windows and a large garage door, so I used some discretion and abstained from uploading it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 3:05 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here is the site plan for the new Zio's Pizza Kitchen to be built at Mountain & Church, directly across from the old Moncton High School:

I have no render for this, but the building will front on the street corner, with all parking to the rear of the building and hidden from view.

There will obviously be a large patio area right on the street corner, which hopefully will be a distinguishing feature for the property. Also of note is the fact that the building will contain three small leasable units on it's western flank.

I have high hopes that this new building will be an excellent addition for this high profile corner. The hidden parking at the rear of the property is a big bonus……...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 10:17 AM

Nice! Gitter done Sandro.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 3:55 PM

Very impressive. I assume that's an upstairs level for customers I see? Last time I talked to Sandro, he wanted a stage for bands. Perhaps the upstairs will host the stage and another bar.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 11:11 PM
Our Tide is Rising

I was in the current building last week and they have the 3D render posted right on the wall. It is two stories in the center section...I told (Sandro) the owner it looks awesome and thanked him for having the foresight to put parking in the rear as this will greatly improve the look and feel of that entire block.

Just imagining the difference this will make compared to the old strip club and bike repair shop...amazing transformation to say the least!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 1:29 PM

Wow...Sandro is building an amazing spot. Wish it was one story higher across the board, but it looks like its that start of great things on that corner. Now if the MHS building can be repurposed and saved that will be wonderful for that whole corner!

Last edited by JasonL-Moncton; Aug 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 11:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the City of Moncton website:

MONCTON – The City of Moncton would like to advise residents that construction work will be occurring along the northern sidewalk on St. George Street between Cameron Street and Weldon Street beginning on Wednesday, August 20.

This is for the installation of concrete planters, ornamental fencing and plant material. The work is expected to continue until the end of September.

Businesses in the area will remain accessible to the public.

The installation of new planters and ornamental fencing is part of the Downtown Vision initiative of Downtown Moncton Centre-ville Inc.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 12:44 AM
Our Tide is Rising

^ That is going to be a huge boost to the look of the street, they picked some great spots to improve.

Further to the above there have been a couple "public art" projects on St. George completed in the last week...I say keep it coming!!

credit: Deo Dingle (facebook)

credit: Serge Martin (Facebook)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 1:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another fine dining option comes to downtown Moncton:

(all images from their Facebook page).

This will not be a typical restaurant. It is primarily a rentable catering facility (for weddings, corporate presentations etc), but will apparently be available for general dining on two evenings a week. The ambience and menu options seem intriguing.

It is really impressive how the culinary scene in Moncton has changed and improved over the last 5-6 years or so…..

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:02 PM

Had a little chit chat with Sandro (Zio's Pizzeria) last night and the grand announcement is coming this week (Wed) at city hall. I was going to take a pic of the renderings and post them here, but in respect, I'll just wait. Times & Transcript will most likely feature it.

I must say, the renderings are beyond mind blowing. This will definitely be a game changer for the East end area and this corner. In fact, I'm not even sure if there is any other street corner in Moncton that comes anywhere close to this proposal. He has also acquired the parking lot across the street.

I talked about the floor plans and they are not exactly as soon in the pic above. There is no second floor, but the stair cases go down stairs to private conference room and wine tasting events.

There will be a upper level dining area which will convert to a band stand stage after restaurant hours. Customer capacity of up to 400. He seems really big on hosting live entertainment, wine tasting events with a few other surprises, not just making pizzas.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:37 PM

Did we miss the announcement? Nothing in any of the local media outlets.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 10:21 PM

Thats what I have been wondering too, did we miss an announcement? Also noticed no announcement from 55 Queen St. on them breaking ground which was supposed to happen in August.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Thats what I have been wondering too, did we miss an announcement? Also noticed no announcement from 55 Queen St. on them breaking ground which was supposed to happen in August.
FiveFive will break ground in the next few weeks. They're finalizing some paperwork and everything will be good to go. They're now at 29 units sold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces