HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Who decides that this league is "professional" anyways...because Ive seen PBL play and its nowhere near NBA level... whereas I would say the CHL plays on a very high level.

Just because the players are paid minimum wage doesn't make it "professional" in my mind...sorry but I'm still skeptical about this team and this league...

I am hoping to be proved wrong but I would hate it to become an embarrassment.
The distinction is made when it becomes ones profession. ie: The players are paid, no relevance to quality.

That being said, the quality of the PBL was very good last season. Of course it is not as good as the NBA, the NBA has the best players from all over the world. If the new league can match the quality of the PBL last season it will be a success. There is no basketball in Canada even close to that level. This is way above CIS basketball.

I am still skeptical they gain attract the same talent level, but the lockout should help as the D League will not be playing either.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 11:06 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
The distinction is made when it becomes ones profession. ie: The players are paid, no relevance to quality.

That being said, the quality of the PBL was very good last season. Of course it is not as good as the NBA, the NBA has the best players from all over the world. If the new league can match the quality of the PBL last season it will be a success. There is no basketball in Canada even close to that level. This is way above CIS basketball.

I am still skeptical they gain attract the same talent level, but the lockout should help as the D League will not be playing either.
Alright I see what you guys are saying now...I just feel that the CHL is closer to the NHL than PBL to NBA...in terms of play level.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2011, 8:56 PM

Does anyone have any pics of the logos for any of the new teams yet?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sorry, I haven't seen the Moncton team's logo yet.....

The Moncton franchise has made some smart moves already. The name "Miracles" is catchy and seems to have met with fairly wide approval. Also, as the new head coach and general manager Norris Bell says, the name also translates well both into English and French.

Bell himself is bilingual, which will help to market the franchise to the francophone portion of the population. This is probably important as I don't think basketball is quite as popular in the Acadian community as it is in the anglophone community.

The team's new manager of community and player relations is Norval McConnell, a very popular local school principal who has decided to take early retirement from his teaching position. He has a long history in the city's minor basketball program and in high school basketball. He is a former president of Basketball NB. I can't think of a better person to take on this position.

Also, the team has signed Matt Robertson to a free agent contract. He is another Moncton native who played basketball with Bernice MacNaughton High School and with Saint Thomas and Crandall Universities. Having a local star on the court will also build community interest.

Finally, there has been blanket media coverage for the new team all this week; in the T&T, on CBC and on News 91.9......

These guys know what they're doing.

Here are details about ticket prices for the Miracles at the Coliseum...

Quote:
Moncton ticket prices for stadium seating on the court are $18 adult, $16 student/senior and $14 youth. These seats for a season ticket (18 home games) are $324 adult, $288 student/senior and $252 youth.

The lower bowl from rows 1-9 are $16 adult, $14 student/senior and $12 youth. That translates into season ticket prices of $288 adult, $252 student/senior and $216 youth.

The lower bowl from rows 10-15 are $14 adult, $12 student/senior and $10 youth. That works out to season ticket costs of $252 adult, $216 student/senior and $180 youth.

There's more expensive prime seating next to the team bench and courtside which includes private lounge with complimentary food and beverages. For ticket information, contact the box office at 857-4100. There's a 10 per cent discount on season tickets ordered by Sept. 15

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 1:20 AM
Our Tide is Rising

the Moncton Miracles logo:

source: http://www.monctoncoliseum.com/english.htm

All I can say is it's OK...It seems a bit busy for some reason and it seems too similar to the Rainmen logo (basketball player...lightning bolt)...It also looks like the "Moncton" was just tacked in at the last second...like it was a stock logo with "insert city name here"

Plus all 4 logos so far have someone holding a basketball in them (kebs is a lizard, but still) Cant we be more imaginative here??

Personally the only logo I really like out of the lot is the Rainmen...the Kebs behind that... and I guess the Miracles one is a bit better than the Mill Rats logo...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 3:07 PM

NBL Logos so far

Logos are now posted at the top of NBL website: http://www.nblcanada.ca/

No logos yet for:

Prince Edward Island Team

Last edited by q12; Aug 25, 2011 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 3:20 PM

I originally was not a fan of the Mill Rats logo when it was introduced but it has grown on me. "Foreman George" who is featured in the logo is a huge hit at rhe games and has a top notch mascot uniform.

Being minor league sports I think there is a reasonable expectation for a cheesy name/logo as well. The Moncton logo seems OK to me but I agree that the "Moncton" tag appears to be slapped on as an afterthought.

I have renewed my court side seats for the Mill Rats this season. Will probably plan on catching at least one Mill Rats game in Moncton as well.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 6:53 PM
Our Tide is Rising

WOW! now London has the right idea...that is a proper sports logo...simple but gets everything across it needs to: Basketball, city and team name, and lightning!

Now that is my new favorite!! (it is however the 3rd logo with a lightning flash in a 7 team league )

nwalbert: I'm not too familiar with how well the mascot does, I have seen a picture of him and the outfit does look great as you said...however in the logo his leg where it meets "Mill Rats" seems cut off at a random point (notice how you can still see just a bit of that boot) very bad...And there is wayyyy too much going on...basketball player who is also in a contractor outfit, skyline, bridge, plus city and team name??? If arranged better with fewer elements it could be a great logo.

A simple fix for the Moncton logo would be to put the "Moncton" on top of the "Miracles" between the peaks of the M and l ...I would do it myself if I wasn't in the middle of moving right now haha

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Halifax and London's are great. The rest...meh.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 11:16 PM

The London and Halifax logos are pretty good quality, the rest are just bad. Gives this league a very bush league look. Specially Saint John, iv seen high school teams with far better logos and I was hoping they'd replace it, along with the stupid name for the new league. Monctons name is also very bland and stereotypical for a basketball team.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Halifax and London's are great. The rest...meh.
I agree, Halifax and London's look like they could be logos for a NBA team where as the rest look kind of amateur. Quebec's is not terrible and it's hard to tell yet the quality of the Oshawa logo.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 4:22 AM

Even if Saint John's logo was just the foreman with a wordmark underneath it would be fine. I'm a logo guy, and I can tell you that this league's logos are actually not bad in terms of the world of minor pro sports.

Also check this out:
http://aba-canada.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABA-Canada_Revolution

I wouldn't worry about it being a threat to the NBL though, the ABA has a crazy high turnover of franchises.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:42 AM

Im pretty sure the ABA is the league the Rainmen ended up leaving

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Im pretty sure the ABA is the league the Rainmen ended up leaving
Yes it is. Among many other teams.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 1:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton Miracles Unveil Party Suites
Abridged from today's T&T

There's another seating option in addition to those announced at their introductory news conference last week. The expansion team in the National Basketball League of Canada released details yesterday about two court-side party suites that will be located where the team benches are for hockey.

The stadium will be reconfigured for professional basketball. The court-side party suites will be a larger area than what exists for the team benches in hockey.

"Each court-side party suite holds a maximum of 20 people," said Miracles owner Steven Conville. "There's going to be high top tables and chairs. It's a hospitality and entertainment section all in one.

"These court-side party suites are great for birthday parties and group outings like mens nights, ladies nights, work gatherings and so forth. They can include a food option and private bar option. You can get more information on this through the Moncton Coliseum."

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 12:37 PM

Nice...great idea

Old Posted Aug 31, 2011, 9:55 PM

Halifax's logo is nice, but what's with the Rainman's weird basketball, its got extra lines on it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:24 PM

revised logo

Here is my idea for a revised 'Mill Rats' logo.

I believe the port is the most valuable thing the city of Saint John has, and should be promoted every which way possible. Its the one thing that other town does not have and never will have.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly View Post
I believe the port is the most valuable thing the city of Saint John has, and should be promoted every which way possible. Its the one thing that other town does not have and never will have.
And which town might that be pray tell?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 1:54 AM

Logo Update

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces