HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Finally the condo at the corner of Prince and Grafton, the footings are being installed and foundation walls.

I noticed that when I was in town for Mathew Good the other night! The new Canadian Tire looks almost done too!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:48 AM

So Robins is building a new location in Winsloe next to the Irving with the Tims! Also Mel's had 4 locations now, the Petro-Cans in Winsloe, St. Peters road and University/Belvedere, and they built a new Shell in North River just over the causeway. Each have a country style coffee and a mr sub except at the university location they have Tai express instead of mr sub.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:21 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
So Robins is building a new location in Winsloe next to the Irving with the Tims! Also Mel's had 4 locations now, the Petro-Cans in Winsloe, St. Peters road and University/Belvedere, and they built a new Shell in North River just over the causeway. Each have a country style coffee and a mr sub except at the university location they have Tai express instead of mr sub.
Mel's??? I've been away from the Island long enough that I don't know who Mel is…….

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:27 AM

It is similar to when you go outside of Charlottetown and you have a couple Gass's general stores, just a guy stamping is name on every gas station he builds.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Mel's??? I've been away from the Island long enough that I don't know who Mel is…….
Gas station convience store chain haha.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:07 PM

Mary Brown's Coming to Charlottetown

Mary Brown’s Famous Chicken & Taters will open in six weeks in the same building Subway operates in at the corner of Belvedere Avenue and University Avenue in Charlottetown. If that location does well, the company’s franchise development manager says plans call for four more restaurants across the province.

Mary Brown’s opens a new take-out location in six weeks

A fast food chain born on the east coast of Canada is bringing its flavour back to Charlottetown.

Mary Brown’s Famous Chicken & Taters is planning to open a new take-out restaurant in six weeks on the corner of Belvedere Avenue and University Avenue.

It will share the same building as Subway.

Some people might remember the franchise operated years ago in Charlottetown in what is now Sam’s Restaurant on St. Peter’s Road.

Peter Rakovalis, franchise development manager, said opening a location in the P.E.I. capital city is part of a major expansion across the country that will see 100 restaurants open over the next five years. He says if business is good at the Belvedere/University street location the Mary Brown’s banner will spead across P.E.I.

“We like that corner for the exposure, it’s a brilliant corner,’’ Rakovalis told The Guardian. “It is what we plan on being the first of several locations on P.E.I.’’

The Mary Brown’s restaurant in Charlottetown won’t be big, measuring only 1,000 square feet in size.

“This is going to be a smaller store, a take-out location only. We really like the real estate (with Subway and the university). We want to be close to the students.’’

The franchise has plans to add another four locations across the province.

The first one in Charlottetown will employ six to eight people and operate between 11 a.m. and 9 p.m. seven days a week.

“We’re going to play with the weekend and see what happens on Friday and Saturday with students. We’ll see what the need for the business is, basically.’’

The franchisees for the Charlottetown restaurant are Lesley and Curtis MacCallum. They’re busy getting the shop ready and weren’t prepared to do an immediate interview. Rakovalis called the MacCallums “a great family’’.

The company CEO told Canadian Restaurant News earlier this year that Mary Brown’s franchises are able to drive about 20 per cent more revenue to the bottom line compared to competitors because labour costs, supply costs and royalties are lower.

Rakovalis says they’re going to keep a close eye on the Charlottetown take-out location.

“We want to see how the first store does. The franchisee has some aspirations to own the market. Once the first store opens up . . . we’re going to take a step back, see where the sales are, see how they’re doing and start talking about a second location.’’

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:29 PM

New Strip Mall Coming

New strip mall coming

Published on October 05, 2014

© Guardian photo by Heather Taweel

A new strip mall is under construction on St. Peter's Road in Charlottetown. City council recently gave the OK to consolidate some land at the site. Now work has begun on a building that will measure 106 feet by 57 feet. The building will contain room for three retail establishments on the ground floor and office space above.

A new strip mall is under construction on St. Peter's Road in Charlottetown. City council recently gave the OK to consolidate some land at the site. Now work has begun on a building that will measure 106 feet by 57 feet. The building will contain room for three retail establishments on the ground floor and office space above.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:38 PM

CONDO/RETAIL development on the Prince & Grafton

Here is a photo showing the completed foundation in place. I hope we'll see the structural going up soon. Glad to see this taking place. Months ago, it was looking like a parking lot would be there instead.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:52 PM

UNIVERSITY & KENT BUILDING BEING REDONE!

I'm sure a huge cheer went up when workmen started to redo this old building. I can't wait to see it all finished. It sat for empty for 15 years so maybe we'll some new life in an old revised building.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:56 PM

INVESCO EXPANSION

The old city Shell gas station is gone. Thank goodness it didn't sit idle as long as the previous building. They tore it down to make room for an Invesco expansion.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 2:07 PM

McInnis Cooper are taking the top three floors so it should be a pretty nice building when it's redone.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 2:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good to get some news from the old home place.

I'm not entirely sure where this Invesco expansion is??

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:

Good to get some news from the old home place.

I'm not entirely sure where this Invesco expansion is??
Where the old City Shell gas station was. On the corner of Euston and University.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 1:36 AM

Invesco office undergoing $8 million expansion

Ground has been broken in Charlottetown on an $8 million expansion for an investment management firm bursting at the seams.

The Charlottetown Area Development Corporation (CADC) is overseeing the 21,000 square foot expansion to the building it currently leases to Invesco which is located at the corner of Euston St and University Ave.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Lo...on-expansion/1

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 1:53 AM

Old city building getting facelift

One of downtown Charlottetown’s more prominent properties is being restored and will have a permanent tenant by February 2016.

The law firm McInnes Cooper will become the primary tenant of the former Dawson Hardware Building on the corner of University Avenue and Kent Street, also known locally as the former Sam the Record Man building.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Busines...ing-facelift/1

This is an artist concept of what the McInnes Cooper building will look like from Kent Street when renovations are completed in early 2016. The building, at the corner of University Avenue and Kent Street, was built in 1881.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Old city building getting facelift

One of downtown Charlottetown’s more prominent properties is being restored and will have a permanent tenant by February 2016.

The law firm McInnes Cooper will become the primary tenant of the former Dawson Hardware Building on the corner of University Avenue and Kent Street, also known locally as the former Sam the Record Man building.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Busines...ing-facelift/1

This is an artist concept of what the McInnes Cooper building will look like from Kent Street when renovations are completed in early 2016. The building, at the corner of University Avenue and Kent Street, was built in 1881.
Is this the building that has sat vacant for the last 15 years? I can't think of what building it is. Excited for the Investco expansion too! Will make a HUGE difference on that corner!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 3:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Is this the building that has sat vacant for the last 15 years? I can't think of what building it is.
That's because it's such a radical transformation from what's there now.

It's the building on the northwest corner of Kent and University. It used to be Sam the Record Man, and before that it was Lord's Pharmacy. This redevelopment will be wonderful for downtown Charlottetown.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
That's because it's such a radical transformation from what's there now.

It's the building on the northwest corner of Kent and University. It used to be Sam the Record Man, and before that it was Lord's Pharmacy. This redevelopment will be wonderful for downtown Charlottetown.
That looks like a completely different building!! With that and the Investco expansion downtown will start to even better! I'd like to see the properties between the Quailty Inn and university torn down and something nice built there. It would really complete that end of the downtown streetscape with the government building, the ATC and the Investco building!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
That looks like a completely different building!! With that and the Investco expansion downtown will start to even better! I'd like to see the properties between the Quailty Inn and university torn down and something nice built there. It would really complete that end of the downtown streetscape with the government building, the ATC and the Investco building!
A Nova Scotia company wanted to build a six storey office building on that property many years ago but was shot down by residences in the area. The reason was that it would block their view I think it might have been the Quality Inn that was complaining as the view would indeed be blocked. The only residences close to there are rentals.
I think it would have been a nice addition. Too bad as it is wasted space. The parking lot on the corner and the apartment duplex are ugly, and the Betty Brite Laundry is closed. A prime location for development.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 2:07 AM

Quote:
A Nova Scotia company wanted to build a six storey office building on that property many years ago but was shot down by residences in the area. The reason was that it would block their view I think it might have been the Quality Inn that was complaining as the view would indeed be blocked. The only residences close to there are rentals.
I think it would have been a nice addition. Too bad as it is wasted space. The parking lot on the corner and the apartment duplex are ugly, and the Betty Brite Laundry is closed. A prime location for development.
Even if it was 4 storey it probably wouldn't block their views...of the building across the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces