HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Intempo in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Benidorm Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Interestingly shaped skyline.

I don't really like the builging, but I like it in this pic, it reminds me some old drawings with futuristic skylines with towers with rare shapes:

Sin título por Jreina67, en Flickr

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 4:48 PM

Still undecided on the look of the towers, but I could easily become a huge fan of those beaches!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 10:38 AM

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 3:37 PM

The Builders Forgot the Elevator

From Gizmodo:
"The Intempo skyscraper in Benidorm, Spain—standing proud in this image—was designed to be a striking symbol of hope and prosperity, to signal to the rest of the world that the city was escaping the financial crisis. Sadly, the builders forgot to include a working elevator.

In fairness, the entire construction process has been plagued with problems, reports Ecnonomia. Initially funded by a bank called Caixa Galicia, the finances were recently taken over by Sareb – Spain’s so-called "bad bank" – when the mortgage was massively written down.

In part, that was a function of the greed surrounding the project. Initially designed to be a mere 20 storeys tall, the developers got over-excited and pushed the height way up: now it boasts 47 storeys, and will include 269 homes.

But that push for more accommodation came at a cost. The original design obviously included specifications for an elevator big enough for a 20-storey building. In the process of scaling things up, however, nobody thought to redesign the elevator system—and, naturally, a 47-storey building requires more space for its lifts and motor equipment. Sadly, that space doesn't exist.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the architects working on the project have resigned, and it remains unclear exactly how the developers will solve the problem. Can we recommend the stairs? "

I could see an external "glass enclosed" elevator running up both towers as a solution to this Cluster Fuck.

original article here:
http://gizmodo.com/the-builders-of-t...lev-1065152844

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 5:27 PM

Had the architects never designed a building over 3 storeys? How would you miss such a key component of a high rise building. I guess they will have to work for the view by taking the stairs.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 9:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

Looks like a man's bottom half. An excited man that is.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 1:16 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgadget View Post
From Gizmodo:
"The Intempo skyscraper in Benidorm, Spain—standing proud in this image—was designed to be a striking symbol of hope and prosperity, to signal to the rest of the world that the city was escaping the financial crisis. Sadly, the builders forgot to include a working elevator.

In fairness, the entire construction process has been plagued with problems, reports Ecnonomia. Initially funded by a bank called Caixa Galicia, the finances were recently taken over by Sareb – Spain’s so-called "bad bank" – when the mortgage was massively written down.

In part, that was a function of the greed surrounding the project. Initially designed to be a mere 20 storeys tall, the developers got over-excited and pushed the height way up: now it boasts 47 storeys, and will include 269 homes.

But that push for more accommodation came at a cost. The original design obviously included specifications for an elevator big enough for a 20-storey building. In the process of scaling things up, however, nobody thought to redesign the elevator system—and, naturally, a 47-storey building requires more space for its lifts and motor equipment. Sadly, that space doesn't exist.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the architects working on the project have resigned, and it remains unclear exactly how the developers will solve the problem. Can we recommend the stairs? "

I could see an external "glass enclosed" elevator running up both towers as a solution to this Cluster Fuck.

original article here:
http://gizmodo.com/the-builders-of-t...lev-1065152844
I also just caught this article on MSN now. How the hell do you forget to design a skyscraper with an ELEVATOR!?! I am truly at a loss for words.

Months of construction, laying floor after floor, NO ONE, not a project manager, engineer, random worker with half a brain, realized a building 650 feet tall would need elevators past 20 floors? I can't take this article verbatim because it's just THAT absurd.

I will assume, at worst, they have the shafts rise the whole height of the building. But as a result, the building will be vastly underserved by the elevators installed given all the floors they cover and thus someone living one the 40th floor will have to endure 10 or more stops or horrendous waiting times to use it. At least I hope that's the worst case scenario.

I worked with projects in China that would grossly underestimate ceiling heights needed for HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and the like, even having elevator shafts put in the wrong areas that would literally run through bathrooms or kitchen space, but they at least put them in.

This building wins the new 'Epic Fail' award for all skyscrapers worldwide, utility-wise, design, color, facade and all.

Last edited by FrancoRey; Aug 17, 2013 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 6:45 PM
Come As You Are

The news is bullshit, so you know.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 2:36 AM

Really? I've not seen anything about how the elevator problem was fixed.
Where did you read it's not a problem?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 6:01 PM
Come As You Are

First off, there was never that much of an elevator problem to begin with. Second, the stories were fabricated to spread a political agenda, not truly report on the building.
From the architect:

Es impensable pensar que en España se pueda conceder una licencia a un edificio que no contemple el pertinente ascensor en el proyecto o que de repente se decida añadir plantas a un edificio. Éste no es un país tercermundista, tenemos una legislación muy amplia y explícita que regula el diseño y el proceso constructivo, y tanto los colegios profesionales como los ayuntamientos ejercen un minucioso control sobre los proyectos para otorgarles la licencia que permite iniciar las obras;… el rascacielos Intempo se diseñó cumpliendo con la legislación local, autonómica y estatal vigentes, con las plantas y la altura que finalmente tiene”.
Lo ocurrido este mes de agosto con la obra del rascacielos Intempo (Benidorm, España) puede considerarse una pequeña muestra de lo enferma que está la economía mundial (dinero respaldado por deuda), pero también de lo poco que se puede confiar ya en los medios tradicionalmente considerados fiables (prensa, televisión), y por supuesto de cómo puede llevar a expandirse una noticia falsa y absurda por las redes de blogs más o menos especializados.

google translator:
It is inconceivable to think that in Spain you can grant a license to a building that does not provide the relevant lift in the project or who suddenly decide to add floors to a building. This is not a third world country, we have a very broad and explicit legislation governing the design and construction process, and both professional bodies such as municipalities exert careful control of projects to grant the license enabling works begin; ... the Intempo skyscraper was designed in compliance with local, regional and state legislation, with the height and number of floors it finally has. "
What happened this August with Intempo skyscraper construction (Benidorm, Spain) can be considered a small sample of how sick the world economy is (money backed by debt), but also how little we can trust in the traditionally considered reliable media(press, television), and of course how can lead to spread false and absurd news networks by more or less specialized blogs.

http://is-arquitectura.es/2013/08/16...ne-ascensores/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the link. I do wonder why the story would begin in the first place, but it is an intriguing one.

As for the quote in the article:
Quote:
It is inconceivable to think that in Spain you can grant a license to a building that does not provide the relevant lift in the project or who suddenly decide to add floors to a building. This is not a third world country, we have a very broad and explicit legislation governing the design and construction process, and both professional bodies such as municipalities exert careful control of projects to grant the license enabling works begin
My experience of the construction practices in Spain (albeit from 15-20 years ago) through family friends that moved there, would suggest quite the contrary to this comment. And so it would not have surprised me at all to read of a balls up with regards to the elevators.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:23 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Completed:

Gold Towers of Benidorm

WRITTEN BY IRENA BODNAREC
13 MARCH 2014

Quote:
CONSTRUCTION OF the eye-catching twin gold peaks of Benidorm - the InTempo building, often referred to as the ´M Tower´, is complete. Located on the Poniente side of the resort, it is Europe´s tallest residential building, standing at 200 meters and spanning 47 floors. Of the 269 apartments, 120 are already sold – the central cone houses 4 two floor duplexes connected by an independent lift.

The crane is in the process of being dismantled, which is estimated to take around 20 days and you will then be able to admire the towers in all their glory – which stand out across the Benidorm skyline for miles around.

As of March 2014...

espedevesa on Instagram

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:46 PM
DENNAB

Probably the first skyscraper in the world to forget an elevator. Funny but scary at the same time.

Bien hecho Spain...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive