HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 2:27 AM

Took some more pics today.

Grand Marais Tunnel is now fully girdered and almost fully decked:

I'm standing right in front of the girders. Even if the bottom was level with me feet it would still be taller than me and I'm about 6 feet tall:

Compare this location to one month ago:

Slow going on Labelle Tunnel but they're going at it 7 days a week. Even on Saturday they're out there tearing it up. They only got a few girders out but they got most of the deck ripped up on the westbound side.

Ripped up chunks of bridge deck:

Still no girders at Spring Garden tunnel:

E.C. Row Huron Church Road / {3} exit signage.

The E.C. Row lanes are painted and the ramp to Huron Church looks done. I hope they repave the whole ramp because it needs it badly. It was already very bumpy before construction started and the constant flow of trucks just beat the hell out of it. But the new lanes look almost ready to go. I wouldn't be surprised if they open soon.

First video of 2014 coming soon.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 7:47 PM

There's a nice new video at www.windsorite.ca of part of the newly opened E.C. Row Expressway that flies over the new parkway with 2 new bridges in this video. The video starts at on E.C. Row at Ojibway, heading east towards Huron Church.

source:www.windsorite.ca
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 8:01 PM

Damn, you beat me to it. I just drove it and it's awesome. The only thing I don't like is that there's going to be merging traffic from the right and left in a very short space but since neither ramp is open yet it's smooth sailing and enjoyable to drive on.

Also, there's going to be another big diversion this weekend. Highway 401 will finally be shifted over to the roundabout.

Quote:
The Howard Avenue roundabout is scheduled to open up this weekend to include traffic going to and from Highway 401 in connection with the $1.4-billion Herb Gray Parkway.
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/06...ue-roundabout/

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa230e View Post
Damn, you beat me to it. I just drove it and it's awesome. The only thing I don't like is that there's going to be merging traffic from the right and left in a very short space but since neither ramp is open yet it's smooth sailing and enjoyable to drive on.

Also, there's going to be another big diversion this weekend. Highway 401 will finally be shifted over to the roundabout.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/06...ue-roundabout/
I watched traffic progress through that roundabout when I was through there a couple of weeks ago. After having watched it, I have to say I can't see the roundabout functioning very well as the terminus for Highway 401. I think there will be just too much traffic, and too much of that traffic comprised by transport trucks.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 1:26 AM

Finished the new video
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 2:09 AM

The diversion of the 401 to the roundabout is complete. I drove it at 7:30 this evening so traffic was very light. It strikes me that this is the first time that you can drive on the new freeway portion of the project, albeit one lane each way on one carriage way from only North Talbot to the roundabout. As you head westbound on the 401 just as you turn towards the roundabout you can get a clear view down the new road and it's like a glimpse towards the future.

Also, there is another diversion open but only one way. Highway 3 east has been diverted a few meters to the side and it goes straight to the roundabout. Westbound it still uses the original carriage way which is the original alignment of Highway 3. When you come out of the roundabout heading west you still go to the intersection with highway 3 but since there is no longer any cross-traffic the light is always green. That alignment between Howard Road and 401 is, I think, the last remaining section of old Highway 3. The Howard Ave / Highway 3 intersection is closed and blocked off.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 6:41 PM

I may have found my way down to Windsor yesterday:

As has been said, even on a Sunday the highway is hard to photograph. Security was pretty tight yesterday:

Old Posted Jun 19, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:
The first major tenders for the planned $1 billion Detroit River bridge have been issued by the Canadian government, the Star has learned.
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/06...d-dric-bridge/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 9:39 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post

As has been said, even on a Sunday the highway is hard to photograph. Security was pretty tight yesterday:

That's gorgeous. And they're using concrete for the surface! Love that about Windsor.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
That's gorgeous. And they're using concrete for the surface! Love that about Windsor.
most MTO highways are done in concrete now.

404 extension is concrete, 407 is concrete, 401 widening from the 403 to Hurontario is concrete (actually the first "Free" concrete highway in the GTA), 401 widening from Windsor to Tilbury is done in concrete, etc. The only more recent examples of asphalt on a new build highway is the 400 extension, 11 twinning, and highway 7 twinning.

I'm quite happy about it, I much prefer concrete over asphalt for a driving surface.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:06 AM

Cool pictures and video of the landscaping work being done on the parkway from the Windsor Star: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/opinion...pe-takes-shape

New July aereal photos are up on the project Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hgparkway/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 2:15 AM

I took these yesterday:

Grand-Marais Tunnel:

Labelle Tunnel girder removal:

Nothing much new at Spring Garden tunnel except for some landscaping:

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post

Thanks for sharing that's a great picture!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:29 AM

Drove out to the parkway today:

Girders are going up fast at the Oakwood tunnel. A month ago there were barely any. Now it looks more than halfway done. This will be the widest tunnel spanning highway 401, highway 3 and a ramp from Highway 3 west to 401 west.

The Todd Lane / Cabana tunnel looks almost ready to go. The road on top of it is paved and striped but traffic hasn't yet been diverted on to it. Temporary traffic lights are up at the intersection (covered up). I don't we'll have to wait long for it to open. Once it does Todd Lane and Cabana road will be shifted back to their original alignments and the diversion can be dug out connecting the two trenches. I think this is the last tunnel diversion. After that all the trenches will be connected and digging complete (I think).

I noticed two new overhead signs on Highway 3 west to 401 west at the roundabout and just past Howard Ave. The ramps aren't open of course and the signs are covered up.

They've recently resurfaced the eastbound lanes on Ojibway Parkway leading up to the expressway and now they've shifted traffic onto them so they can resurface the westbound lanes.

The ramp from E.C. Row west to 401 west is paved but not striped. No signage is up yet. E.C. Row West is still down to one lane between Huron Church and Ojibway parkway but the concrete divider is gone since opposing traffic has moved onto the new carriageway. Some landscaping is taking place in the median between E.C. Row west and 401 west.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
A portion of Matchette Road between Chappus Street and Carmichael Road will be closed from Friday, August 8th at approximately 10pm until Sunday, August 10th at approximately 11:59pm.

The temporary closure is necessary to erect girders on Bridge 2 (Matchette Road).

During these closures, the Parkway says that no official detour route will be in effect.
http://windsorite.ca/2014/07/matchet...-next-weekend/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:58 PM

A photo of the parkway at Howard Avenue after yesterday's record rainfall:

https://twitter.com/winstarjanisse/s...97477976035328

According to the Windsor Star's Chris Vander Doelen, the road may be damaged.

Quote:
But I'm hearing from local construction people that the @hgparkway suffered significant damage from the 3" of rain we got.
https://twitter.com/winstarvander/st...30254276153345

Quote:
Retaining wall panels on the @hgparkway have shifted, some claim. And unpaved sections of the finished roadbed have been compromised.
https://twitter.com/winstarvander/st...30473181097985

Quote:
All those pumps and overflow ponds on the .@hgparkway might have looked like overkill to some. Guess not, after this rain.
https://twitter.com/winstarvander/st...29754105397248

The pumps and overflow ponds are, of course, not operational (or even complete) which is why they didn't prevent the flooding.

The below grade freeways across the river in Detroit which ostensibly DO have working pumps didn't fare any better. This is I-75 at I-696 last night:
http://imgur.com/a/xlcg7#2
That is a four level stack and the water is up to the first level ramps!

This is I-75 at Stephenson: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=575148561900

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:27 PM

We got slammed with almost 7 inches of rain, crazy

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:30 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 1:24 AM

I took a drive out to the parkway this evening and everything looked pretty dry. I saw a few pools of standing water but no flooding. They must have pumped it all out. Lots of workers on the site. Looked like business as usual. I didn't get a good look at the section around Howard, though. I think that's where the worst flooding was.

I did shoot some video. I'll put together another progress video later this month.

Lots of progress to report.
  • Girders are (finally) going up on the Spring Garden and Pulford tunnels
  • I think they finally have all the deck stripped off the Labelle tunnel. I'm thinking they'll start taking the girders off soon.
  • Some of the 401 MGSs are going up on surface streets. I saw one on Ojibway Parkway
  • The Howard Avenue overpass is now open. The intersection has been realigned and everything looks pretty much done there
  • The Huron Church Line intersection with Highway 3 is open again. Huron Church Line now goes over top of the Villa Borghese tunnel which was one of the tunnels affected by the faulty girders.
  • Todd lane has been returned to its original alignment which goes over top of the Todd/Cabana tunnel.
  • Overhead signage is going up. I saw an empty gantry near the Cousineau tunnel. Posts for gantries are going up on the E.C. Row expressway for the advance and exit signs for the 401 left exit. The trusses and signs are lying beside the road just after the Matchette overpass.
  • They should have girders up on the Matchette road bridge but I didn't drive by there to verify.

All this in the last two months. They're working quick.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 2:10 AM

Took some more photos this evening. These are at the newly opened Highway 3/Huron Church Line intersection atop the Villa Borghese tunnel.

On top of the tunnel:

Signage at the intersection. Notice how the to/vers 401 signs are neither trailblazers nor junction signs.

Looking into the trench you can see a new sign gantry and a CMS.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario