HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:06 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
AL.com reports that the group that developed 20 Midtown has just purchased the Liberty National Building. No plans yet but are planning an announcement in late spring or early summer.
This could be the biggest game changer downtown has seen so far as from Railroad Park. A building of that size being redeveloped would tremendously impact downtown.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 12:11 PM
The Salty Ham

Hopefully that software company and/or biotech company that were rumored to be coming needs a tower for an hq/regional hq.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Hopefully that software company and/or biotech company that were rumored to be coming needs a tower for an hq/regional hq.
That location would be ideal!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 1:09 PM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, there is QUITE a lot of dirt being moved at the TopGolf location. It's a relief to finally see ground being moved at that site. Also, I never really realized how prominent that location is. It should be pretty visible from the interstate. Also, there should be some good views of the city from TopGolf itself.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:35 AM

I-65

I have lived in Shelby County and worked in downtown Birmingham for the last 18n years. In those 18 years I have watched traffic get progressively worse on I-65 and during that time there has been absolutely no improvements from the US 31 interchange in Vestavia to the 3rd Ave North exit downtown. The only work done along that 8 mile stretch in 18 years is patching of potholes.

In addition to the heavy increase in local rush hour traffic in the last 18 years the hiway carries all north-south through traffic including trucks. Add to that the fact there the highway crosses Shades Mountain which slows trucks down to a point where traffic comes to a complete stop.

Then to further compound the problem ALDOT widened I-65 from the tank farm to Hiway 119 a few years ago. Now that traffic flows freely the point at which it is widened until it hits merging traffic from 119, Valleydale Rd, I-459 then Hiway 31 just before the long trek up Shades Mountain.

Most cities the size of Birmingham have bypass routes for thru traffic and many cities do not allow thru trucks to travel through their downtown area. Birmingham has a bypass to the south (or east, depending on how you look at it) for I-20/I-59 and is building, over the next 20 to 30 years, another bypass to the north for I-20/I-59.

As far as I know there are absolutely no plans for relief of north/south traffic on I-65 even though there is no section of hiway in this state that is in more need of maintenance and improvement.

I believe there needs to be pressure put on ALDOT to rebuild and widen I-65 from I-459 to the I-20/I-59 interchange downtown and major improvements to to the Hiway 31, Lakeshore, Oxmoor and University interchanges.

Responses and comments appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:04 PM

Beating a dead horse here, but if Birmingham is trying to attract any kind of pro franchise here, it has once again finished as one of the top NBA markets for the NBA Finals.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 1:57 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltider View Post
As far as I know there are absolutely no plans for relief of north/south traffic on I-65 even though there is no section of hiway in this state that is in more need of maintenance and improvement.

I believe there needs to be pressure put on ALDOT to rebuild and widen I-65 from I-459 to the I-20/I-59 interchange downtown and major improvements to to the Hiway 31, Lakeshore, Oxmoor and University interchanges.

There are plans to widen 65.

It was made wider north of the junction to the 22 interchange.

It will be made wider after the junction during the 20/59 bridge replacement. Down to where Im not sure...maybe green springs.

There is a plan to widen it from there to hoover and 459 interchange.

There is a plan to widen it from tank farm exit down to shelby co airport.

Wildwood exit will recieve a diamond interchange.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:01 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltider View Post
I have lived in Shelby County and worked in downtown Birmingham for the last 18n years. In those 18 years I have watched traffic get progressively worse on I-65 and during that time there has been absolutely no improvements from the US 31 interchange in Vestavia to the 3rd Ave North exit downtown. The only work done along that 8 mile stretch in 18 years is patching of potholes.

In addition to the heavy increase in local rush hour traffic in the last 18 years the hiway carries all north-south through traffic including trucks. Add to that the fact there the highway crosses Shades Mountain which slows trucks down to a point where traffic comes to a complete stop.

Then to further compound the problem ALDOT widened I-65 from the tank farm to Hiway 119 a few years ago. Now that traffic flows freely the point at which it is widened until it hits merging traffic from 119, Valleydale Rd, I-459 then Hiway 31 just before the long trek up Shades Mountain.

Most cities the size of Birmingham have bypass routes for thru traffic and many cities do not allow thru trucks to travel through their downtown area. Birmingham has a bypass to the south (or east, depending on how you look at it) for I-20/I-59 and is building, over the next 20 to 30 years, another bypass to the north for I-20/I-59.

I've wondered for years why ALDOT hasn't even mentioned thinking about widening I-65. I live in Huffman and work in downtown, so fortunately, I don't have to deal with that mess. But, I can tell by watching traffic on Google that I-65 (just in the past 3 years) has clearly become worse than 280. For any one who wants to argue, just look at Google Maps' traffic around 4:30PM. As to why ALDOT didn't even mention the impact of the closure of the I-20/59 bridges would have on I-65, I haven't the faintest of ideas... As most of our Huntsville forumers know, it just goes to show how inept ALDOT is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Beating a dead horse here, but if Birmingham is trying to attract any kind of pro franchise here, it has once again finished as one of the top NBA markets for the NBA Finals.
In my mind, it's a no-brainer if Legacy Arena gets a proper upgrade. Not that I say "proper"... as in, legit, suites, no 70s ambiance.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:07 PM

It will be great to get our interstate issues straighten out here in Birmingham, I think this will enhance our designation (hopefully we get approved) as a World Trade Center. We are one of only a few cities in the country to have a 6 spoke interstate system.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
This could be the biggest game changer downtown has seen so far as from Railroad Park. A building of that size being redeveloped would tremendously impact downtown.
Now that the previous owners of the Liberty National Building has managed to get that property back, I hope they do not waste to much time in coming up with a plan to develop it. They have already missed an opportunity to lease a large portion of that building to U.A.B., who has instead gone out to Avondale and leased the Amsouth/Regions bank operations center.
It would be nice to have a nice large building available for this new World Trade Center designation (hoping we get approved) to set up in. Liberty National or Brown Marx would be great.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:16 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
Hopefully if/when they announce plans in August for the BJCC they will be oppulent enough for a team. Then we would need a willing group or billionaire to want to move a team or hope the league wants to expand.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 4:35 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Now that the previous owners of the Liberty National Building has managed to get that property back, I hope they do not waste to much time in coming up with a plan to develop it. They have already missed an opportunity to lease a large portion of that building to U.A.B., who has instead gone out to Avondale and leased the Amsouth/Regions bank operations center.
It would be nice to have a nice large building available for this new World Trade Center designation (hoping we get approved) to set up in. Liberty National or Brown Marx would be great.
I've read a little online, but still don't fully understand... what exactly is a world trade center designation and what comes with it? I'm not sure I trust our city council enough to think this is a wise expense.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:19 PM
The Salty Ham

I think of it more or less as a club or a short list as opposed to something physical that would need significant office space. The BBA, for example, would probably head it up and it get Birmingham's resumr in front of (more) potential international suitors.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:24 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
I've read a little online, but still don't fully understand... what exactly is a world trade center designation and what comes with it? I'm not sure I trust our city council enough to think this is a wise expense.
If Savannah and Little Rock can have one, I certainly think Birmingham is worthy. Think of it as Innovation Depot for local and international collaboration.

For example, a tech company in the medical field wants to expand their offerings to UAB. The World Trade Center provides the facilities and support to facilitate that and get it going. At the same time, on our end, Birmingham's tech community and institutions would be expected to reciprocate by investing, or expanding a footprint, into the city/region of the international tech company. It goes both way. It's essentially a way to funnel investment/collaboration into and out of Birmingham. New investment comes into town and we respond by doing the same thing on the other end.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
If Savannah and Little Rock can have one, I certainly think Birmingham is worthy. Think of it as Innovation Depot for local and international collaboration.

For example, a tech company in the medical field wants to expand their offerings to UAB. The World Trade Center provides the facilities and support to facilitate that and get it going. At the same time, on our end, Birmingham's tech community and institutions would be expected to reciprocate by investing, or expanding a footprint, into the city/region of the international tech company. It goes both way. It's essentially a way to funnel investment/collaboration into and out of Birmingham. New investment comes into town and we respond by doing the same thing on the other end.
I could not have explained it better myself. Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 6:56 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
I hope that the Steam Plant would be the next biggest game changer, whenever it gets its finalized "vision" of what it will be. To me it has the most unique qualities about it and hopefully it will become a landmark symbol for the city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 6:56 PM

And I understand the consulting firm that is helping us with our application has already gotten about 17 small to medium sized foreign companies interested in coming to Birmingham.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 7:13 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
And I understand the consulting firm that is helping us with our application has already gotten about 17 small to medium sized foreign companies interested in coming to Birmingham.
I think that article also mentioned that some representative of the WTC organization came to town to do an evaluation and said that Bham had a pretty strong case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I hope that the Steam Plant would be the next biggest game changer, whenever it gets its finalized "vision" of what it will be. To me it has the most unique qualities about it and hopefully it will become a landmark symbol for the city.
If it's built out as the renderings showed it, I completely agree. But, the Liberty National... that's just SO MUCH space. Plus, it would really provide some connectivity between Parkside and the western reaches of Lakeview. It would be nice to see some higher (in altitude) activity in that sea of low-rise vacancy...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 7:23 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
I think that article also mentioned that some representative of the WTC organization came to town to do an evaluation and said that Bham had a pretty strong case.
Well, looking at that list of other places...I can't see why Birmingham wouldn't or couldn't place among them. Or is it just a matter of ponying up the money and getting onboard regardless. Plus I notice some whole states are listed...like Arkansas and Mississippi. From the story it looks like this being paid for by Birmingham all on its own, but I wonder if it will morph into something the whole state will try to benefit from.

Quote:
If it's built out as the renderings showed it, I completely agree. But, the Liberty National... that's just SO MUCH space. Plus, it would really provide some connectivity between Parkside and the western reaches of Lakeview. It would be nice to see some higher (in altitude) activity in that sea of low-rise vacancy...
I guess I would feel more confident about it once it is shown that whoever wants it plans on doing something WITH it, rather than tearing it down and putting something else on the lot.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 7:31 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I would, too. BTW, I can't say more than this, but I can tell you that the wheels are turning on Liberty National. In that, the owners are actively working towards redevelopment. That's not to say that something my derail what they want to do, though. And as for what they want to do, I legit don't have any info on that.

Also, I stop by Publix everyday after work to pickup dinner, and cat food, and I've noticed that some of the windows on the top floor of the taller structure have been opened. So, clearly, someone has been visiting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast